THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎ Joe Flacco signs 1-year deal with Browns, has incentives for wins. ( What an idea ? )

mjp28

In the 70s, a group of Italian guys in Pittsburgh dressed up in army garb complete with helmets and made up Italian-themed banners and called themselves "Franco's Italian Army" because of Franco Harris, who was half Italian. 

If I would have thought of it earlier I'd consider doing something similar for Thursday night's game, except my helmet would read: 

Flacco's Italian Army 

18 hours ago, nickers said:

LOL! My daughter gave me a T-shirt for Xmas with a cat in sunglasses with "The Catfather" above it. They know I love my cats.😻

• Haha 1

Class team Cleveland Browns !

Browns QB Joe Flacco's deal includes a $75K incentive for each game he plays 50% of the snaps and the team wins.
With Flacco resting tomorrow, the team converted that incentive to a $75K bonus for being on the 53-man roster to ensure he gets the money.
Nice touch by Cleveland.

In the big picture, for both the team and Flacco (who earned over $150 million in the NFL), the $75K is not a big deal.
Making sure a veteran is respected and taken care of, both financially and through rest, is something that players (on the Browns and pending free agents) will notice.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Browns QB Joe Flacco's deal includes a $75K incentive for each game he plays 50% of the snaps and the team wins.
With Flacco resting tomorrow, the team converted that incentive to a $75K bonus for being on the 53-man roster to ensure he gets the money.
Nice touch by Cleveland.

In the big picture, for both the team and Flacco (who earned over $150 million in the NFL), the $75K is not a big deal.
Making sure a veteran is respected and taken care of, both financially and through rest, is something that players (on the Browns and pending free agents) will notice.

which is why i posted it. Good will. hey Joe take a snap(take a knee) and this 75 ger, take your fam on a nice vacation or  buy a new car 

13 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Nice touch by Cleveland.

The Haslams may be questionable business people (what billionaire isn’t), but they are the furthest thing from cheap when it comes to spending money on the browns. They might be the highest spending owners in the NFL. Obviously when the dumb headlines came out about Flacco not getting his bonus they had no problem making sure he’d get the $75k

• Like 1

When Joe Flacco signed with the Browns this season, he signed an incentive-laden contract that would pay him more the better he and the team did. It’s fair to say he has exceeded expectations.

So to reward him for that, the Browns have decided to go ahead pay Flacco a $75,000 bonus that he won’t be able to earn on Sunday because he is sitting out with the Browns having already clinched their playoff spot.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, Flacco’s deal includes a $75,000 incentive for each game he plays at least 50 percent of the Browns’ offensive snaps and the Browns win. Flacco will rest in Sunday’s regular-season finale to be healthy for the playoffs, but the Browns converted that incentive to a $75,000 roster bonus for being on the 53-player roster. So Flacco gets the money, even though he won’t play and regardless of whether the Browns win.

It’s a nice gesture from the Browns for a player who has rescued their season by showing up off the couch and playing at a far higher level than anyone could have expected

Subscribe to our Newsletter and Alerts
Sports

6 hours ago, syd said:

When Joe Flacco signed with the Browns this season, he signed an incentive-laden contract that would pay him more the better he and the team did. It’s fair to say he has exceeded expectations.

So to reward him for that, the Browns have decided to go ahead pay Flacco a $75,000 bonus that he won’t be able to earn on Sunday because he is sitting out with the Browns having already clinched their playoff spot.

According to Field Yates of ESPN, Flacco’s deal includes a $75,000 incentive for each game he plays at least 50 percent of the Browns’ offensive snaps and the Browns win. Flacco will rest in Sunday’s regular-season finale to be healthy for the playoffs, but the Browns converted that incentive to a $75,000 roster bonus for being on the 53-player roster. So Flacco gets the money, even though he won’t play and regardless of whether the Browns win.

It’s a nice gesture from the Browns for a player who has rescued their season by showing up off the couch and playing at a far higher level than anyone could have expected

Subscribe to our Newsletter and Alerts
Sports

"It’s a nice gesture from the Browns" ...... really ?   If the BROWNS did NOT do it it would have been the biggest  PR mistake  of this century !   Besides the comeback story of this season and all of the other stuff ..... like  another  playoff game and the revenues from that.         Briefly it was a  "no brainer" !      :)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

What are the odds that Watson doesn't return to form after the shoulder surgery? Do we keep Flacco as the starter? What about Watson's contract?

Shoulder injuries are tricky. Everyone seems to be optimistic when talking about how his surgery went, how rehab is going, but... shoulder injuries are tricky.

I'd love to bring Flacco back next year. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Shoulder injuries are tricky. Everyone seems to be optimistic when talking about how his surgery went, how rehab is going, but... shoulder injuries are tricky.

I'd love to bring Flacco back next year. 

I would love that too. I would be one of the best cinderella stories in NFL history if he delivers a Lombardi trophy to Cleveland. I didn't want him to start until the playoffs started but I was surprised by the results and I'm glad he did start earlier. 

29 minutes ago, Neo said:

What are the odds that Watson doesn't return to form after the shoulder surgery? Do we keep Flacco as the starter? What about Watson's contract?

Watsons contract leaves him as a brown regardless, they can’t afford to pull a broncos.

I think we should just enjoy the ride, worry about the QBs when we’re in the offseason.

38 minutes ago, Neo said:

I would love that too. I would be one of the best cinderella stories in NFL history if he delivers a Lombardi trophy to Cleveland. I didn't want him to start until the playoffs started but I was surprised by the results and I'm glad he did start earlier. 

I openly questioned how much gas he had in the ol' proverbial tank, but it's been a fun ride, hasn't it? 

37 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Watsons contract leaves him as a brown regardless, they can’t afford to pull a broncos.

I think we should just enjoy the ride, worry about the QBs when we’re in the offseason.

That's correct bb.... Checking his contract on Spotrac, we're basically stuck with him for the 2024 and 2025 seasons his dead cap hit is prohibitive. In 2026, it would only cost us $73 million to cut him.  

Of course I'd love to bring back Joe as a security blanket if Watson gets hurt again, but would he be interested in being DW's backup? Should the Browns make a deep playoff run he's going to be (ala Aaron Rodgers) one blazing hot free agent QB for a team thinking they're only a QB away from a Super Bowl win.  

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That's correct bb.... Checking his contract on Spotrac, we're basically stuck with him for the 2024 and 2025 seasons his dead cap hit is prohibitive. In 2026, it would only cost us $73 million to cut him.  

Of course I'd love to bring back Joe as a security blanket if Watson gets hurt again, but would he be interested in being DW's backup? Should the Browns make a deep playoff run he's going to be (ala Aaron Rodgers) one blazing hot free agent QB for a team thinking they're only a QB away from a Super Bowl win.  

when Joe wins the super bowl in the desert. Bet he just rides off into the sunset

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Everybody loves Flacco now but there is a potential nightmare scenario that I keep thinking about. Flacco nearly takes us to a Super Bowl and the next year, a certain team that could be potentially one QB away from going to the Super Bowl scoops him up. This team has a similar name to that of feces, it's the Stoolers I'm talking about of course. I was on a Stoolers board recently and saw them mention that they were pissed that they themselves didn't think about going after Flacco. Nightmare scenario is that he nearly misses a Super Bowl win here and go there and delivers another one to them on a silver platter. Can't imagine they would be happy with Mason Rudolph moving forward. And if Tomin doesn't pursuit him, he may be out on the streets next year if they miss the playoffs althogether.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Everybody loves Flacco now but there is a potential nightmare scenario that I keep thinking about. Flacco nearly takes us to a Super Bowl and the next year, a certain team that could be potentially one QB away from going to the Super Bowl scoops him up. This team has a similar name to that of feces, it's the Stoolers I'm talking about of course. I was on a Stoolers board recently and saw them mention that they were pissed that they themselves didn't think about going after Flacco. Nightmare scenario is that he nearly misses a Super Bowl win here and go there and delivers another one to them on a silver platter. Can't imagine they would be happy with Mason Rudolph moving forward. And if Tomin doesn't pursuit him, he may be out on the streets next year if they miss the playoffs althogether.

There’s a lot of teams mad at themselves for not going after Flacco. They’ll be even madder if he does something crazy like starts winning playoff games. The Vikings are probably the most striking example of a playoff caliber team that needed a Flacco. Instead, they got a Dobbs

Cleveland fans should just enjoy the ride, it’s my favorite season since 99’ who cares about the QB next year.

If Flacco does somehow manage to make the Super Bowl, then who cares if the browns make Watson the highest paid QB2 of all time next year - and if they don’t retain Flacco, it’s not like Watson is bad (he’s just hated as a person). 

I don’t think the Steelers go after any free agent QBs, it seems like it’s against their philosophy or something.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Lets all just enjoy what is going on right now with Joseph Vincent Flacco.

He's 39 years old. The Steelers aren't signing him to be their starting QB, in fact, I feel pretty confident he will not be given a starting job next year.. (he might start some games, mind you, but I just can't see a team saying "He's our #1!" in August.)

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Lets all just enjoy what is going on right now with Joseph Vincent Flacco.

He's 39 years old. The Steelers aren't signing him to be their starting QB, in fact, I feel pretty confident he will not be given a starting job next year.. (he might start some games, mind you, but I just can't see a team saying "He's our #1!" in August.)

Oh  yes !  Yet another  reason to watch our   2024-2025  Cleveland BROWNS !    ◆  This is going to be one   "heck of an exciting off-season"   coming up too.  ◆    No matter what.

GO BROWNS !

• Like 1