THE BROWNS BOARD

Quietly a Hall of Fame Career is Unfolding on Our Offensive Line

Flugel

Since being drafted in the 2nd round in 2014, Joel Bitonio has already earned 5 Pro Bowl honors.  This year marked his 5th straight time doing so.  He's also been named 1st Team All Pro Twice and 2nd Team All Pro 3 times.  This very unselfish player has also restructured his contract to help the FO add some extra help where needed.  Bitonio will still get paid the same amount it'll just be shifted from base salary to bonuses.  

Bitonio and Teller are the only starting interior linemen remaining on our very scrappy 8-5 roster.  He is the leader of our Offensive Line and a very valuable asset to the offense overall. He is the epitome of a true professional.   He's also one of the reasons the Browns rank 7th out of 32 teams at running the ball with 135.1 yards per game despite Nick Chubb's season ending injury very early in week 2.

I know the cameras always have to track where the football is going.  However, when you get a chance every once in a while - do yourself a favor and zero in on some of the blue collar stuff #75 is doing for our favorite team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Of the three Browns whose careers are on a HOF trajectory, he's easily the most inconspicuous and most reliable.

I'd also wager in the digital age, where Jason Kelce has sucked the O2 out of the room with his podcast and the newfound Taylor Swift fans the NFL forced and Zack Martin being considered the greatest LG of all time for about three seasons now, he is the most unsung OL of this generation.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  I think Joel is HOF worthy.

He just won't get in any time soon.  How long did it take Gene Hickerson to get in?  Not until he was drooling on his wheelchair.  Seriously.

Interior O linemen don't get a ton of love.

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, ballpeen said:

He just won't get in any time soon.  How long did it take Gene Hickerson to get in?  Not until he was drooling on his wheelchair.  Seriously.

You're probably right. I still remember Leroy Kelly and Jim Brown wheeling Gene Hickerson up on the stage in Canton when the poor guy had no idea who he was, where he was and why he was in front of so many people back in 2007.  Waiting 34 years after the guy retired is no way to honor someone that made 6 Pro Bowls in 15 years blocking for HOF Backs like Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly.   IMO, that's a committee full of irresponsible sportswriters that don't deserve such a privilege.  They only made a brat like Terrell Owens wait 8 years from his retirement; and how did he act afterward?  As expected, far less than appreciative anyway... 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, ballpeen said:

Hickerson was one of if not the best in his day..My skinny old man got into it with him once in a bar and kicked Hickersons ass.. I used to laugh everytime my dad told that story.. He even got into it with radio personality Gary Dee and did a number on him.. Gary Dee went on the air the next day claiming 20 dagos beat him up.. and it was only one dude.. My old man lol.. He was crazy... Sorry to digress..But.... That whole line was great.. Shafrath, Groza,Wooten, Hickerson and Gibron and we had good TE's in Johnny Brewer and of course Milt Morin.. But Joel B should get in.. He's been a stud..

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:18 AM, nickers said:

Hickerson was one of if not the best in his day..My skinny old man got into it with him once in a bar and kicked Hickersons ass.. I used to laugh everytime my dad told that story.. He even got into it with radio personality Gary Dee and did a number on him.. Gary Dee went on the air the next day claiming 20 dagos beat him up.. and it was only one dude.. My old man lol.. He was crazy... Sorry to digress..But.... That whole line was great.. Shafrath, Groza,Wooten, Hickerson and Gibron and we had good TE's in Johnny Brewer and of course Milt Morin.. But Joel B should get in.. He's been a stud..

Nicks, if I read that right - you just detoured this thread into either 1 of the 2 Jim Croce songs below like only you can do.  Of course, the names were changed to protect the innocent.  Enjoy...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

Nicks, if I read that right - you just detoured this thread into either 1 of the 2 Jim Croce songs below like only you can do.  Of course, the names were changed to protect the innocent.  Enjoy...

I actually liked Jim Croce.. When I was 15-16 yrs old. I had written a classical piece for guitar that was inspired by Randy Rhoads and Jim Croce..

On 12/19/2023 at 8:18 AM, nickers said:

Jim Brown was a stud and a ½  -but-  he did have a good bunch out there in front of him working well for his 12,312 in 12/14 game seasons.

The same thing Nick Chubb  has/had/should have again for his career. 

▪︎  Cleveland has had a few blessings !

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:47 AM, Flugel said:

You're probably right. I still remember Leroy Kelly and Jim Brown wheeling Gene Hickerson up on the stage in Canton when the poor guy had no idea who he was, where he was and why he was in front of so many people back in 2007.  Waiting 34 years after the guy retired is no way to honor someone that made 6 Pro Bowls in 15 years blocking for HOF Backs like Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly.   IMO, that's a committee full of irresponsible sportswriters that don't deserve such a privilege.  They only made a brat like Terrell Owens wait 8 years from his retirement; and how did he act afterward?  As expected, far less than appreciative anyway... 

I went to the Owens induction ceremony here in Chattanooga.  He played his college ball here.  I saw him many times, so I am probably not the best person to seek agreement.

Owens was pretty damn good.

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I went to the Owens induction ceremony here in Chattanooga.  He played his college ball here.  I saw him many times, so I am probably not the best person to seek agreement.

Owens was pretty damn good.

I understand why you liked him especially since you saw how good he was long before the television cameras put him in everyone's living rooms.  I stick up for local college guys I watch too. 

I even agree he was pretty damn good; but that wasn't the issue about him that I share with a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I understand why you liked him especially since you saw how good he was long before the television cameras put him in everyone's living rooms.  I stick up for local college guys I watch too. 

I even agree he was pretty damn good; but that wasn't the issue about him that I share with a lot of people.

I always hated TO.. Like Chad Ocho Stinko.. He was an attention whore who made everything about him!

• Thanks 1