THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Jets

Orion

image.png.a63b5caa45391f26937cdecf100a9572.png

First let me say that I think it's borderline insane to make teams play on Thursday night, so late in the season, when the games are so important, and tons of guys are banged up.  Give them the week to heal up and prepare for the games please.

So, to the numbers.  Practically an entire season's worth.  Apparently, the Jets stink on offense...all phases.  But they're damned good against the pass.  And we've been living by the pass since Flacco took over.  With backups to the backups playing on our offensive line, we haven't been able to run at all.  Last week we could only muster 54 rushing yards.  The Jets aren't good against the run...but against us they probably don't need to be.

I predict that we will be needing to kick FG's in this game, as TD's will be hard to come by.  We signed a kicker...he's played in 37 games since '21 and made 58 of 66 attempts.  

We need this win to earn qualification for the playoffs.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Orion said:

First let me say that I think it's borderline insane to make teams play on Thursday night, so late in the season, when the games are so important, and tons of guys are banged up.  Give them the week to heal up and prepare for the games please.

So, to the numbers.  Practically an entire season's worth.  Apparently, the Jets stink on offense...all phases.  But they're damned good against the pass.  And we've been living by the pass since Flacco took over.  With backups to the backups playing on our offensive line, we haven't been able to run at all.  Last week we could only muster 54 rushing yards.  The Jets aren't good against the run...but against us they probably don't need to be.

I predict that we will be needing to kick FG's in this game, as TD's will be hard to come by.  We signed a kicker...he's played in 37 games since '21 and made 58 of 66 attempts.  

Well, crap... DTR to IR with a bum hip...  Hopkins out against the Jets, and Bojorquez iffy with a quad injury they signed a backup punter too.  🙄

And if we do a very Brownsian thing, and manage to lose to the Jets...   Here's how Cleveland would still qualify, even with a loss....   As follows... playoff clinching scenarios... Me likee a Steelers loss (on the road against the Seahawks), which besides putting the Browns in the playoffs- would seriously jeopardize Tomlin's winning season streak.  They finish at Baltimore, and it well could be the Ravens have the division wrapped up and are resting starters. BTW, the Bengals aren't mathematically eliminated if they manage to beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead...  

1. A win, or;

2. Steelers loss, or;

3. Losses by Bills and Jaguars, or;

4. Losses by Bills and Bengals, or;

5. Losses by Jaguars and Bengals, or;

6. Losses by Bills, Texans, and Colts, or;

7. Losses by Texans, Colts, and Bengals

• Thanks 1

Quick turnaround should favor the home team.  Their Oline is shaky at best- I expect the crowd to be loud and disruptive.  Schwartz isn’t going to respect Wilson so we will come after him early and often.  The d should be fresh for a Thursday game the lower snap count from the week before, the home crowd and ability the clinch…make me believe they will be nasty. Hall makes me pause for a second but the Browns will bring a committee to tackle and surround him. 

Sauce will follow Cooper.  Moore will have a bone to pick with his former team- expect Kevin to let him eat.  I’m putting Moore front and center on every DraftKings lineup. 

i expect this to be a grind though maybe a two score game. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

According to the NY Times site, if the Patriots beat the Bills we're in.

We need to make that moot anyway.

Thinking about it, that's true.  The Bills are the only other AFC wildcard team that could finish 11-6.  For kicks and giggles, let's assume for a minute that the Browns and a gaggle of other teams finish 10-7.... Ah, it's too complicated to figure out... Only obvious loser is the Bengals with their 1-5 division record. Browns will have head to head tiebreakers over the Texans, Colts, and Jaguars.  

Somehow the Steelers would lose out even though they would have a better division record 5-1 as opposed to the Browns 3-3...  To have any realistic chance, they have to win out. Theoretically, they could still get into the playoffs with a 9-8 record, but it involves a sky high combination of other team losses.  

BTW, the Bills could win the Division by beating the Patriots and 1) the Ravens beat the Dolphins this Sunday, and 2) the Bills beat them week 18.  

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Quick turnaround should favor the home team.  Their Oline is shaky at best- I expect the crowd to be loud and disruptive.  Schwartz isn’t going to respect Wilson so we will come after him early and often.  The d should be fresh for a Thursday game the lower snap count from the week before, the home crowd and ability the clinch…make me believe they will be nasty. Hall makes me pause for a second but the Browns will bring a committee to tackle and surround him. 

Sauce will follow Cooper.  Moore will have a bone to pick with his former team- expect Kevin to let him eat.  I’m putting Moore front and center on every DraftKings lineup. 

i expect this to be a grind though maybe a two score game. 

Trevor Simien starts... Not Wilson...

First, all the scenarios can be an avoidable headache if the Browns win Thursday.

Next, our biggest concerns are: the loss of the most reliable kicker we've had since Dawson and a very underrated punter that was constantly flipping field position favorably for us.  Aside from that, our punter was the holder on all the place kicks.  They had a chemistry we never had to worry about. We may have 2 complete strangers doing the holding and FG/PAT attempts tomorrow.  Let's hope they've had some time to practice together.

The Jets will probably put Sauce on Cooper meaning they won't need to double team him.  On top of that, they have a good defense that can win games if their offense isn't turning the ball over for TDs or short fields.  Breece Hall is a dangerous RB who can catch a 3 yard pass and break it for a TD (last week he had about 96 yards receiving to go with a pretty good day running the ball).   Both Philly and Buffalo thought the Jets were going to be an EASY game; and they both lost to the Jets.  And how?  The Jets Defense caused turnovers.  The tale of the tape shows me that's a competitive defense ranking 2nd vrs the pass, 40 sacks and rank very close with Cleveland in the give/take.

I say all that because the Browns can't afford to take the Jets as lightly as Philly and the Bills have already done.  They're the type of team that can beat someone that counts the win before the coin toss.  When the Browns show up to games focused and prepared to take care of business - they've already shown us they can beat anybody.  That's the team we need to see Thursday Night.

• Thanks 1

On this date in 2020 the Browns were about to face the Jets with multiple starting OLinemen out and missing their top four WRs (I think all from Covid), a win away from a playoff berth. 

Today, the Browns are a day away from facing the Jets with starters and backups out across the roster, a win away from a playoff berth. 

• Thanks 1

Browns Injury Report

• P Corey Bojorquez - Quad - Doubtful
  • WR Amari Cooper - Rest, Heel - Questionable
  • WR Marquise Goodwin - Knee - Questionable
  • K Dustin Hopkins - Hamstring - Out
  • DE Ogbo Okoronkwo - Pectoral - Out
  • S Juan Thornhill - Questionable
  • LB Anthony Walker - Out

Jets Injury Report

• OL Duane Brown - Back - Out
  • QB Aaron Rodgers - Achilles - Out
  • TE Jeremy Ruckert - Concussion - Out
  • QB Zach Wilson - Concussion - Out
  • RB Israel Abanlkanda - Ankle - Questionable
  • K Greg Zuerlein - Quad - Questionable
  • WR Allen Lazard - Illness - Questionable

Let's light up Cleveland Browns Stadium during the White Out Light Show

Download the Cleveland Browns app to be a part of a special game day experience

Dec 26, 2023 at 02:53 PM

Before heading to Cleveland Browns Stadium for the Browns – Jets game on Thursday Night Football, make sure to download the Browns app to be a part of our White Out Light Show presented by DUDE Wipes!

Throughout the game, there will be a special in-stadium light show experience that gets better and better when as many fans as possible participate. The first light show will occur during pregame team introductions. The second light show experience will take place at halftime, and the final light show will happen at the start of the fourth quarter.

Fans must update their Browns app in order to participate in the light show. Once the app is opened, click into the White Out Light Show experience, and enable access to the microphone and camera. This will allow the features of the light show to effectively work. Then, when prompted at the stadium, hold up your phone with the screen open and you'll be a part of the White Out Light Show. Let's light up Cleveland Browns Stadium during the final regular season home game!

y9cm0tyrkul4xb35ypad.jpg

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 1:41 PM, hoorta said:

And if we do a very Brownsian thing, and manage to lose to the Jets...   Here's how Cleveland would still qualify, even with a loss....   As follows... playoff clinching scenarios... Me likee a Steelers loss (on the road against the Seahawks), which besides putting the Browns in the playoffs- would seriously jeopardize Tomlin's winning season streak.  They finish at Baltimore, and it well could be the Ravens have the division wrapped up and are resting starters. BTW, the Bengals aren't mathematically eliminated if they manage to beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead...  

1. A win, or;

2. Steelers loss, or;

3. Losses by Bills and Jaguars, or;

4. Losses by Bills and Bengals, or;

5. Losses by Jaguars and Bengals, or;

6. Losses by Bills, Texans, and Colts, or;

7. Losses by Texans, Colts, and Bengals

WHO here ..... just wants to see BROWNS  just go  2-0  and forget all the math and  what if,  who if, wait if  ▪︎and▪︎  whatever and just go  12-5  and just wrap this sucker up ?   I know I sure would like that ..... but then again just win enough to  slide  in and rest some battered players up has a ring to it.

GO BROWNS !     Just win and in ..... baby !   Too Brownsian ???   :huh:

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Browns Injury Report

• P Corey Bojorquez - Quad - Doubtful
  • WR Amari Cooper - Rest, Heel - Questionable
  • WR Marquise Goodwin - Knee - Questionable
  • K Dustin Hopkins - Hamstring - Out
  • DE Ogbo Okoronkwo - Pectoral - Out
  • S Juan Thornhill - Questionable
  • LB Anthony Walker - Out

Praying for Coop! We need him!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 12:23 PM, Orion said:

As much as this game worries me (per my previous post) - there's 1 thing I can't stop thinking about.  Myles Garrett hasn't had a sack in the last 3 games (outside of the untimed 2 point conversion attempt that doesn't count on his 2023 stats).  This guy is ready to remind all viewers he was heading for an unchallenged Defensive Player of the Year honor; and that he still needs to be in that discussion.  

On the biggest stage of all tonight - who's ready for a whole lotta sic em, sock em and sack em from Myles Garrett?   It's time for America to see what we've seen.  When he gets going - this whole defense attacks and swarms.  Giddy up and get after it guys!

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

According to Grossi he’s playing it is his heel and it is a non-issue. 

On his longest TD play last week, it looked like he favored it after he crossed into the endzone.