THE BROWNS BOARD

Frank Ryan Passes Away

Three Ryan to Gary Collins touchdown passes help lead the Browns to their last NFL Title in 1964, in a 27-0 drubbing of the favored Baltimore Colts. 

Here's my write-up on Frank Ryan from our preseason countdown to the start of the season:

We go from the greatest QB in Browns history to the last Browns QB to lead the Browns to a NFL title, as we are now Frank Ryan days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Ryan was drafted in the 5th round of the 1958 Draft by the Los Angeles Rams out of Rice, but would play sparingly in his four seasons there. He was then traded to the Browns before the start of the 1962 training camp, and was slated as the backup to Jim Ninowski, but became the starter that season after Ninowski suffered a season-ending injury. Ryan would hold onto the starting QB position for the next six seasons.

Ryan would lead the NFL in touchdown passes in 1964 (25) and the Browns to a NFL Championship, and another trip to the NFL Title Game the next season too, but the Browns fell short vs the Packers. He'd have a fine season in 1966 too, which would end his three year in a row Pro Bowl run. He would be replaced early on in the 1968 season as starter by Bill Nelsen, as he had been battling injuries ever since the 1964 Pro Bowl. Would move on to Washington in 1969, and retire from there after the 1970 season. While with the Browns, Ryan would get his Ph.D in mathematics. After retiring, he'd put his education to work, as he worked at times in the U.S. government, was also the athletic director at Yale, professor at Rice, among other jobs.

For his career, Dr. Ryan threw for 16,044 yards with 149 touchdowns against 111 interceptions. He also added 1358 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns. 

frank ryan passes away.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I’m going to date myself, my first Browns game in 1967 I saw Frank Ryan and was enthralled by the game of football.

So many ghosts from the past I saw that day, Leroy Kelly, Ernie Green, Gary Collins, Paul Warfield, and Blanton Collier was the HC. 

That was my indoctrination as a Browns fan, and I wouldn’t trade it for nothing.

RIP Dr Ryan. 😢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

◆  My early years it was Milt Plum ('58-'61)  and then  ● Frank Ryan ('62-68) when I graduated high school.   You remember those years and things.

May he RIP  -  01/01/2024.

• Like 3

Thank you Frank Ryan!  You were the QB when I became a Browns fan.  Your 3 TD passes earned us our last Championship.  Please pass the torch onto Joe Flacco to earn us this fitting championship now that you and Jim are no longer with us to tie us back to the glory days.  God Speed Frank Ryan.  Thank you for those great memories!  RIP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Three Ryan to Gary Collins touchdown passes help lead the Browns to their last NFL Title in 1964, in a 27-0 drubbing of the favored Baltimore Colts. 

Here's my write-up on Frank Ryan from our preseason countdown to the start of the season:

We go from the greatest QB in Browns history to the last Browns QB to lead the Browns to a NFL title, as we are now Frank Ryan days until the start of the 2023 Cleveland Browns season. Ryan was drafted in the 5th round of the 1958 Draft by the Los Angeles Rams out of Rice, but would play sparingly in his four seasons there. He was then traded to the Browns before the start of the 1962 training camp, and was slated as the backup to Jim Ninowski, but became the starter that season after Ninowski suffered a season-ending injury. Ryan would hold onto the starting QB position for the next six seasons.

Ryan would lead the NFL in touchdown passes in 1964 (25) and the Browns to a NFL Championship, and another trip to the NFL Title Game the next season too, but the Browns fell short vs the Packers. He'd have a fine season in 1966 too, which would end his three year in a row Pro Bowl run. He would be replaced early on in the 1968 season as starter by Bill Nelsen, as he had been battling injuries ever since the 1964 Pro Bowl. Would move on to Washington in 1969, and retire from there after the 1970 season. While with the Browns, Ryan would get his Ph.D in mathematics. After retiring, he'd put his education to work, as he worked at times in the U.S. government, was also the athletic director at Yale, professor at Rice, among other jobs.

For his career, Dr. Ryan threw for 16,044 yards with 149 touchdowns against 111 interceptions. He also added 1358 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns. 

frank ryan passes away.jpg

Tell your wife thanks for the great write-up!   

• Like 1

Funny.  Today when watching games, other than a select few I can't tell who the players are by number.  I know many of the numbers by who wore the number. #13 is always Frank Ryan.

RIP Dr. Frank Ryan.  You accomplished much while on this journey.

• Upvote 1

Thank you ,Dr.Ryan You gave the Browns it's last championship two weeks before I was born... May you and JB's spirit carry us to the promised land with Joe Flacco leading the way... My God Hollywood couldn't write a better script if it tried.. RIP ...

• Upvote 1