THE BROWNS BOARD

For those who knew The Gipper

57713.jpeg

57717.jpeg

Tom f sent me a couple pictures from the gippers visit to nashville. The first one I'm not sure where it's from but that's him and Hoorta.

This last one is me wearing the shirt Tommy's would have gave me at the funeral, it was one of his. Go browns.

20240107_101209.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Steve!  Looks like I finally got this to work.  Sorry for any redundancy here. Here's some pictures from about 9-10 years ago when Gips and Hoorta road tripped to Nashville.  Unfortunately, a selfie was highly improbable - and the good looking guy was the one taking the picture. We got to meet and speak with Mack and Byner at the big Bowns Backers party at one of the Honk Tonks - very friendly down to earth guys.  Everything was fun about that weekend except the outcome of that game. 

image.thumb.png.cf2ebf4294a88ca3a81317ba2c5b2dcc.png

image.thumb.png.f11fbd0d09e991f85274aebc13351ff8.png

• Upvote 2

Oh yes,  Our  TBB  resident lawyer and  always  on the board. everyday.   A Happy Birthday to you, you ol' son of a gun.   mjp.

h1rnkutfrwfrxq2vzm0g.jpg

On 1/7/2024 at 10:41 AM, Flugel said:

Thanks Steve!  Looks like I finally got this to work.  Sorry for any redundancy here. Here's some pictures from about 9-10 years ago when Gips and Hoorta road tripped to Nashville.  Unfortunately, a selfie was highly improbable - and the good looking guy was the one taking the picture. We got to meet and speak with Mack and Byner at the big Bowns Backers party at one of the Honk Tonks - very friendly down to earth guys.  Everything was fun about that weekend except the outcome of that game. 

image.thumb.png.cf2ebf4294a88ca3a81317ba2c5b2dcc.png

image.thumb.png.f11fbd0d09e991f85274aebc13351ff8.png

A little FYI for those of you who didn't know that much about Tom.... He was quite the traveler, visited all 50 states, and had been to EVERY National Park in the country, probably not many people could say that... 

Some things I do remember about that trip. Tom was an antique aficionado. The home of American Pickers is in Nashville, so Tom insisted we go and check out the store. From my POV, I'd about rather have a root canal than spend any time in an antique store. When we got there about 10AM the wait to get in was already a city block+ long, so I told them hey screw this, I'm shopping elsewhere- stand in line and one of you come and get me when you get near the door.  There conveniently was a wine bar a few doors down, so I spent early morning happy hour (and it was almost an hour) before we were able to get in and view the junk collection.  😉

The Tailgate was memorable with the Middle Tennessee Browns Backers because who was there- to shake hands and take selfies with, none other than Jimmy Haslam.  I knocked the Titans off of my bucket list to see the Browns play in every NFL stadium, but since then covid (Dallas), and lousy scheduling- Thanksgiving (Denver), New Years (Washington) screwed that up.  

There's a bunch of Browns road trips this year that are REALLY interesting though, outside of the usual AFCN.  Broncos, Commanders, Eagles, Jaguars, Raiders, Saints. One of my alternate family is a Raiders fan, so a trip to Vegas could be relatively cheap and interesting.  

On 1/8/2024 at 4:20 PM, hoorta said:

A little FYI for those of you who didn't know that much about Tom.... He was quite the traveler, visited all 50 states, and had been to EVERY National Park in the country, probably not many people could say that... 

Some things I do remember about that trip. Tom was an antique aficionado. The home of American Pickers is in Nashville, so Tom insisted we go and check out the store. From my POV, I'd about rather have a root canal than spend any time in an antique store. When we got there about 10AM the wait to get in was already a city block+ long, so I told them hey screw this, I'm shopping elsewhere- stand in line and one of you come and get me when you get near the door.  There conveniently was a wine bar a few doors down, so I spent early morning happy hour (and it was almost an hour) before we were able to get in and view the junk collection.  😉

The Tailgate was memorable with the Middle Tennessee Browns Backers because who was there- to shake hands and take selfies with, none other than Jimmy Haslam.  I knocked the Titans off of my bucket list to see the Browns play in every NFL stadium, but since then covid (Dallas), and lousy scheduling- Thanksgiving (Denver), New Years (Washington) screwed that up.  

There's a bunch of Browns road trips this year that are REALLY interesting though, outside of the usual AFCN.  Broncos, Commanders, Eagles, Jaguars, Raiders, Saints. One of my alternate family is a Raiders fan, so a trip to Vegas could be relatively cheap and interesting.  

He also talked me into taking him to taking him to President James Polk's house when you went to church that Saturday,  That turned out to be so much better than watching all the college football games that ended up as blowouts.  Gips had all kinds of fascinating info about the Kennedys in our 1 hour trip each way and it made the time fly.  I also never knew Polk lived in TN when he was the President.  That was a cool tour well worth the drive and the Gipper stories... That was a fun weekend with you guys!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Thanks for the memories. Gip was just about my favorite poster. Erudite. Whip smart. Vicious sense of humor. We tried to connect several times, never came to pass. I miss his presence. Rest in peace brother. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep....Gip was a good guy.  We both enjoyed history and had many conversations on the subject.  I have also toured the Polk home in Columbia. Very interesting.  The tour of Andrew Jackson's "Hermitage" is worthwhile as well.

Columbia is maybe a 40 mile drive south of Nashville.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

The tour of Andrew Jackson's "Hermitage" is worthwhile as well.

So do they give him full credit for that infamous Indian Removal Act that led to the Trail of Tears? What a scoundrel! 

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1830-1860/indian-treaties

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Yep....Gip was a good guy.  We both enjoyed history and had many conversations on the subject.  I have also toured the Polk home in Columbia. Very interesting.  The tour of Andrew Jackson's "Hermitage" is worthwhile as well.

Columbia is maybe a 40 mile drive south of Nashville.

Funny you should say that; because I lived in Hermitage back when Gips and Hoorta stayed at my house that weekend.  It worked out perfect because my wife was in Gatlinburg that weekend - after her lecture not keep my company home watching college football all day on Saturday. Who me? 

Anyway, whenever people visited us they usually wanted to do the tour of Andrew Jackson's place and/or go to the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg, TN (about 75 miles from Nashville).  Without hesitation Gips wanted to go see James Polk's house which only took us about an hour or so from Hermitage.  Ironically, we lived in Old Hickory (Jackson's nickname) before we moved to Hermitage.  That might have only been 1 of Jackson's nicknames if we look at the post above from @TexasAg1969

32 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Funny you should say that; because I lived in Hermitage back when Gips and Hoorta stayed at my house that weekend.  It worked out perfect because my wife was in Gatlinburg that weekend - after her lecture not keep my company home watching college football all day on Saturday. Who me? 

Anyway, whenever people visited us they usually wanted to do the tour of Andrew Jackson's place and/or go to the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg, TN (about 75 miles from Nashville).  Without hesitation Gips wanted to go see James Polk's house which only took us about an hour or so from Hermitage.  Ironically, we lived in Old Hickory (Jackson's nickname) before we moved to Hermitage.  That might have only been 1 of Jackson's nicknames if we look at the post above from @TexasAg1969

Yep, and Polk was just as big a scoundrel manufacturing a "fake" war with Mexico so we could steal much of the land in NM, Arizona and California under "Manifest Destiny".

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, and Polk was just as big a scoundrel manufacturing a "fake" war with Mexico so we could steal much of the land in NM, Arizona and California under "Manifest Destiny".

😆 While I GET your discomfort - let's try to stay in the context of stuff Gipper wanted to do/see.  1 poli board is enough...

Just now, Flugel said:

😆 While I GET your discomfort - let's try to stay in the context of stuff Gipper wanted to do/see.  1 poli board is enough...

Oh, this is just a history lesson, not really poliboard made up crap.💩😂

• Haha 1

Super Wildcard Saturday,

Sadly, Missing a few internet pals this weekend 🙏 been here to long not to take a moment here 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:05 PM, Canton Dawg said:

Stan, Gip, Bruce (aka Tour) all gone too soon!

RIP my Browns Brothers.

Stan-- The past owner, that had the vision/drive of what fans, turning into friends or foes.. It's what we can enjoy here today on the BB.. Respect & Thanks pal !

Gipper-- On any forum of this type? Gip, never liked paste & post comments that weren't your own thoughts.. Gip wanted your own collected thoughts to shape your opinions// right or wrong.. Respect & Thanks pal ! 

Bruce 😪 aka Tour--still hurts pal.. Have ya ever took the time to game review each OL position? requires 5 full game viewings less TE positions. Bruce sharing his passion of OL knowledge on the BB.. Countless witty humor post included...Respect & Thanks Pal    

Wiped a tear post  💦

Hoping they got the best seat in the heavens, getting this playoff 🏈 win for a few Friends

Go Browns !  🧡  🤎  🧡

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2