THE BROWNS BOARD

Lumnuts and QB Ratings

Vegasdogg

QUOTE (Lumbergh @ Sep 15 2009, 10:48 PM)

His 4th qtr was great. yay.

But thru 3 qtrs he had only 72 yds passing and a passer rating in the 30's. And the O had produced 2 FGs, one by way of a botched onside kick.

You sure this is the way you want to go?

Where were you when DA had 5 of these games as recently as last season? In hiding again, afraid to face the music? You sure seem concerned with QBR all of a sudden, especially when it doesn't concern your boy.

You're the last mofo that should be on here talking shit about QB ratings.

Here, let me remind you about DA just last season:

vs HOU 51 YDS, yet still had time to throw an INT and FUMBLE away a ball, 17.3 QBR

vs WAS 137 yards, 37.8 QBR.

vs BAL 125 yards, 3 INTs, 22.9 QBR

vs IND 110 yards, 71.1 QBR

vs PIT 166 yards, 2 INTs, 44.5 QBR

Dude you were nowhere to be found after these games, and yet here you are posting multiple times an hour. You sure seem willing all of a sudden to talk about stats after poor QB play.

Poser.

Yeah he makes a point - - - to stick his head up DA's ass. Other than that facts are meaningless. I am sure the stats exploded his brain.

You don't get to say exploded very often, nice work.

How many Pro-Bowls does Pretty Boy Check Down have? I've seem to have forgotten.

I'm sorry that DC's didn't get the memo that DA went to a pro-bowl, but when the guy with the rocket arm can't break 167 yards passing - 167 yards!!! - in six of nine starts in 2008, the pro-bowl doesn't mean shit.

How sad is that - rocket arm but can't break 167 yards passing?!?!

He used his "I went to a pro-bowl so I start" card last season.

Lumquat has gotta be a ditsy chick in love.

yeah we need to take the bias out of these analyses...

BTW QueeferX thanks for explaining in the other thread how you "wiped out" Quinnie's perfect pass in stride to Vikings DB Cedric Griffin, gave him a TD for a non-TD, revealed that the fumblerooski was because of hot sweaty palms on a hot day, and proclaimed the empty-stadium-special to Robert Royal was legit and came solely from his love of the team because he had a kosar jersey on in a photo when he was 5.

yeah we need to take the bias out of these analyses...

Six games last season and your rocket armed loverboy couldn't surpass 167 yards passing in any of them. 90% of the runningbacks in the league avg'd more yards rushing per play than he did passing in those games. 20 turnovers per season put him on the bench. Defensive coordinators obviously didn't have to resort to biased analysis, and they must not have gotten the memo he'd won 10 games and went to a pro-bowl the year before.

I think DA is done in Cleveland as well. But, BQ most certainly did not do anything to reinforce that belief. It is one game, but it was one bad game.

He will have many more games to prove that he is more good BQ than bad BQ but to date we have seen good BQ once and bad twice. I know that he has had only 4 starts in the NFL but to date his first four starts are worse than DA's first four starts. So until BQ actually plays well for a number of games you will have people asking for the back up. Sound familiar?

Nothing is going to quite Lum like BQ actually playing anywhere close to what people on this board said he would do from day one. Besides, if you want to start comparing BQ's play to something why not compare it to QB's you actually think are good. Not when they were 4 games into their careers but now as veterans. Because that is the evaluation that many used on DA. I recall people pooh poohing any comparisions where DA was involved when looking at developing a young QB. So if ou want to compare BQ to a manning then do it based on what they can do now. That is fair because that is what you did to DA.

Right now the only argument I see people making is that DA sucked and yea BQ has sucked also but we don't know if he will suck every game. And the perfect cockpit that DA had in 2007 is supposed to be better now. Better receviers, better OL players and a much improved coaching staff. Like I said have BQ string together a few good games in a row and that will shut up his critics, it most certainly did (haha) when DA strung together several good games; well at least until the QB strings together several bad games (and no Shep it is not 18 bad games in a row).

I think DA is done in Cleveland as well. But, BQ most certainly did not do anything to reinforce that belief. It is one game, but it was one bad game.

He will have many more games to prove that he is more good BQ than bad BQ but to date we have seen good BQ once and bad twice. I know that he has had only 4 starts in the NFL but to date his first four starts are worse than DA's first four starts. So until BQ actually plays well for a number of games you will have people asking for the back up. Sound familiar?

Nothing is going to quite Lum like BQ actually playing anywhere close to what people on this board said he would do from day one. Besides, if you want to start comparing BQ's play to something why not compare it to QB's you actually think are good. Not when they were 4 games into their careers but now as veterans. Because that is the evaluation that many used on DA. I recall people pooh poohing any comparisions where DA was involved when looking at developing a young QB. So if ou want to compare BQ to a manning then do it based on what they can do now. That is fair because that is what you did to DA.

Right now the only argument I see people making is that DA sucked and yea BQ has sucked also but we don't know if he will suck every game. And the perfect cockpit that DA had in 2007 is supposed to be better now. Better receviers, better OL players and a much improved coaching staff. Like I said have BQ string together a few good games in a row and that will shut up his critics, it most certainly did (haha) when DA strung together several good games; well at least until the QB strings together several bad games (and no Shep it is not 18 bad games in a row).

Pretty much a terrible post all around, sorry c. You made about everything up.

Why is there so many douchey attitudes in here lately?

Because the people who aren't big BQ fans have something to use and the BQ fans are a bit miffed by his play even if they won't admit it at this point.

The best think that can happen is for Quinn to step it up about 3 games in a row.

If he is journeyman like for a few games, wait and see how testy it gets then...this will seem like a love-in.

Because the people who aren't big BQ fans have something to use and the BQ fans are a bit miffed by his play even if they won't admit it at this point.

The best think that can happen is for Quinn to step it up about 3 games in a row.

If he is journeyman like for a few games, wait and see how testy it gets then...this will seem like a love-in.

I'm not miffed about Quinn's play. It was a rough 4th career start against a very good D (one in which Rogers, P. Manning, and D. Brees had a rough go against last season). I am not happy with his game, but it's one game. I am miffedby irrational responses to his game SUN, revisionist history of the events of the game, and comparisons of peoples reactions to Quinn's showing in his 4th NFL start to peoples reactions to DA in career starts 19~26.

Now if Quinn's play continues to look like that, I'll be miffed.

I'm not miffed about Quinn's play.

Me neither Masters. Keep up the good work straightening out those in need.

I've watched DA transition from the good to the bad to the ugly. He was working on f-ugly; but Quinn is such a GREAT young man he saved DA from embarassing himself further. That's what special players do for their teammates and BACKUPS. If you don't want to call him a good leader - that's okay folks. Just don't tell me he's not a great kid.

- Tom F.

Shep, Inspecta, Vegas- Why are you still acknowledging him and instigating him?

He's a little twat. Ignore him, Im tired of reading this sh!t.

dont you know? ignoring them doesn't work. just ask vegas.....he seems to know everything about the tubes.

Pretty much a terrible post all around, sorry c. You made about everything up.

what did I make up?

BQ played very good against Denver (1 good game) and bad against Houston and Minnasota (2 bad games). I personally gave a pass on his not good performance against Buffalo because the Browns won that game and DA got a pass on Buffalo in 2007 by most.

BQ's first 4 games are worse statistacially than DA's first 4 starts. That is entirely true. DA played 1 very good game, 1 bad game and 2 decent games

BQ

Brady Quinn 23 35 239 2 0

Brady Quinn 14 36 185 0 0

Brady Quinn 8 18 94 0 2

Brady Quinn 21 35 205 1 1

DA

D. Anderson 21/37 276 1 1

D. Anderson 23/32 223 2 2

D. Anderson 10/27 123 0 4

D. Anderson 20/33 328 5 1

Do you really not think that the best way to shut Lum up is to have BQ string together a few good performances? What is untrue about that and made up about that?

Is it not true that this is a better coached team than the Rac and roll team? Should be a better OL, has more talented receivers (except TE) and for sure a better defense. I am not sure what I made up and why I was off base. I do not think that BQ should be benched, I just think that he needs to string some good games together to shut people up including me.

I don't think that anything I said was wrong. If it was point it out to me. BQ and DA pretty much had the same rating after their first 3 starts at the age of 24 and on a 4 and 12 team. Start number 4 easily goes to DA (yes Minnesota is a better team than Cincinnati but then again Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Tampa are better than Denver, Buffalo and Houston).

Tampa in 2006 was in 2 8 final 10 games

Baltimore in 2006 was 9 2 in final 11 games

Pittsburgh in 2006 was 6 5 in final 11 games

Denver in 2008 was 4 7 in final 11 games

Buffalo in 2008 was 3 8 in final 11 games

Houston in 2008 was 7 4 in final 11 games

So when DA faced Baltimore they were on a roll, Pittsburgh was decent and Tampa (the team DA sucked against) was in a spiral.

When BQ faced Denver they were in a downward fall and the same goes for when the Browns played Buffalo. BQs worst game was against Houston who was on a upward trend.

When taking in to account the competition I pretty much called the first 3 starts a draw.

Dont understand what I said that was so far off base that you can not at least see where I am coming from.

cmac is one of those second tier DA fags that really doesn't have anything interesting to say and his arguments get shot down like skippy at ladies night.

Really? That is interesting. I have not seen anything I said shot down except for somebody saying it was not true. At least when Flugs argues with me he backs up what he says with numbers and he makes some valid points.

I am not sitting here saying that DA should be the starter in Cleveland. He shouldn't, he needs to be traded. BQ is the starter and needs to be. I am just comparing a QB that obviously sucks and lacks "it" to a QB that has all the talent, brains and "it" factor that you could want at similar ages, in similar situations and with a similar team. Nobody can know what BQ is right now. He has 4 starts, my point is that up to now if what you DEMAND out of your QB is excellence then BQ has done a slightly worse job of it than DA did at the same stage in his career.

You could probably make the argument that the 2006 team had less talent than the 2008 team, though they did have the same record but the 2008 team was injury riddled. When BQ gets to start number 19 then I am really hoping that he does better than DA did in his start number 19, 20 and 21. We will not know that until the end of this year and next year.

If you want me to become a lum I can do that for you and I can do a better job of it than Lum does. He has no creativity. At least I would use real stats, though I would make them fit my side better than he does.

Really all BQ has to do is play well. If he does not play well then he is just fueling the fire. But if you want I will start calling people names instead of trying to respond to them. It will be easier and take far less time and thought.

And I have generally found that people either thank me for my posts or just don't respond to them. I think it was masters that disagreed with me about BQ playing a Horrible game against Minnesota and he changed my stance from horrible to just bad. I am not unreasonable but if you want me to be I can be a bigger douche than Lum. But I really don't want to be because I already think he ruins any good discussions because they get side tracked.

But if that is what you want I will do it.

But I was watching the game and hoping to see something good. I did not expect the Browns to win that game but I thought that the defense actually played pretty good overall. Just on the field too long when the offense goes 3 or 4 and out I think it was 7 out of 12 possessions. I don't know for sure but I posted the stats of the futility on another post.

1 03:32 CLE 49 8 31 Field Goal

1 02:29 CLE 22 4 -4 Punt

2 02:07 CLE 14 3 -4 Punt

2 05:12 CLE 25 9 73 Field Goal

2 01:42 CLE 42 3 5 Punt

2 00:00 CLE 19 1 67 Joshua Cribbs 67 Yard Punt Return

2 01:04 CLE 39 3 1 End of Half

3 01:29 CLE 28 3 22 Intercepted Pass

3 02:51 CLE 19 7 30 Punt

4 01:42 CLE 27 4 7 Fumble

4 00:44 CLE 26 3 3 Punt

4 01:11 CLE 19 6 17 Downs

4 02:35 CLE 20 9 80 Touchdown

I mean I must be crazy there was 2 good drives there and 1 was against the prevent defense. Not sure why I would be critical. I am sorry, BQ is great. Would not trade him for anybody.

And please show me anywhere since even before BQ was named the starter that I have said DA should start. I am pretty sure I have said DA should had been pulled last year before the bye week. And I am sure I have said that if the competition was close that BQ must start. And I am pretty sure I have said that BQ should continue to start because it has only been one game.

But if you want to call me a second tier DA fag then I can call for BQs head. Hell if he continues to play like he is it will be an easy argument. Again, nothing you or anybody else says matters. To shut people up BQ MUST actually play a few good games in a row. So far he has played ONE very good game, 2 bad games and one game that was just good enough.

I can answer that.

No not really, any stats other than wins and moving the team. I don't expect BQ to throw 29 TDS or 3700 yards. But I also do not expect him to throw 19 ints either. Really for BQ to be successful he has to lead the Browns to some wins and looks like he knows what he is doing.

And also I think that BQ should get at least 10 starts and probably the entire season to see what he has. Really if he is playing so bad that you would bench him after 10 games then the season is probably already lost so you might as well give him the whole year and see if it clicks. Let me see how he is playing in 6 weeks and see how many good VS bad games he has had.

I personally did not like what I saw in BQ last week, but I did like what I saw in him last year against Denver. So he has shown in his first start that he looked like he got it, in his 4th not so much. But it was one game, and everybody has one bad game especially early in their careers. I can actually agree that it is not fair to match stats game for game. I only do that because people make blanket statements about DA that I don't agree with and some also make assumptions about BQ I don't agree with.

I do agree that DA is done in Cleveland no matter how BQ plays. If BQ plays bad then the Browns draft a QB and trade them both. If BQ plays well then they just trade DA and draft a RB or OL.

My whole point is that if BQ plays well and the Browns win then most everybody will stop comparing the QBs (including me).

But very simply what I look at for BQ is wins. I know it is not all on him but I have seen posted by many how a great QB rises above his teams weaknesses and brings up the level of play of those around him. One of the problems I seem to recall people saying about DA was that he could not do this, that he needed a great cockpit. And those same poster said that they thought BQ was the guy that could elevate his teammates. I want to see that and I want to see wins. I would expect numbers like 3000 yards 20 TDs and 10 Ints and 2 or 3 fumbles. But wins is what he should be judged on.

kudos to cmac12 for replying with football common sense 101-

I like that you point out that if BQ is so bad that he needs benched by game 10 that the season will be in the tank anyways.

Bringing up the question dished out a few days ago at 70% BQ has an escalator in his contract oohh the conundrum we'll be in then.

Denver's a good matchup today and should get some heat off BQ. It would be nice to see some actual thought process on the playcalling for todays game also.

Really? That is interesting. I have not seen anything I said shot down except for somebody saying it was not true. At least when Flugs argues with me he backs up what he says with numbers and he makes some valid points.

I am not sitting here saying that DA should be the starter in Cleveland. He shouldn't, he needs to be traded. BQ is the starter and needs to be. I am just comparing a QB that obviously sucks and lacks "it" to a QB that has all the talent, brains and "it" factor that you could want at similar ages, in similar situations and with a similar team. Nobody can know what BQ is right now. He has 4 starts, my point is that up to now if what you DEMAND out of your QB is excellence then BQ has done a slightly worse job of it than DA did at the same stage in his career.

CMAC,

I really like your 2nd paragraph above. It looks like you want Quinn to justify being a first round draft pick. Alot of us are probably all more in line than we think on this whole thing. They're both 1-3 in their first 4 starts so we're basically comparing bee stings. I think we run into some fans that are capable of being more patient than others. I'm not patient any more - I have to be honest. I promise I'll hold Quinn to the same criteria I've held DA to if I don't see growth. I can't really use the term regression with him like I have with DA because I've never really seen him get a chance prior to Denver & Buff last year. That said, I gotta believe if there's game managers that can win consistently in this league - we're not asking too much of our new starter to manage the game enough to make plays when we need them while he's waiting for the game to slow down some as he gets more experience.

If we stayed with DA simply because he was on fire in Spetember and the beginning of Octobr of 07 like some can't erase from their memories - we do so completely forgetting that Miami was 1-15, St Louis was 3-13, Baltimore 5-11 (played twice), Oakland 4-12, Jets 4-12, Houston 8-8, Cincy 7-9 (played em twice), Buffalo 7-9, SF 5-11, Arizona 8-8. I honestly think ALOT of QBs would have put up excellent numbers against this schedule w/ Joe Thomas protecting his blind side, Winslow as his TE and Edwards at his career best focus-wise. The odds of getting this SAME schedule straight from Heaven seem like a million to one.

I WILL say this - when Quinn started vrs similiar opponents I like the way Quinn performed vrs Denver in a career first-ever start. Scoring 30 points never sucks so whomever was behind leading such a thing wasn't the weakness. Then, the next week we won even though Quinn didn't sport the nice passer ratings he had in the loss. The bottomline W was more preferable. We moved the ball enough to REST our defense that got us a ton of turnovers in return at Orchard Park. Somebody said 5 FGs wasn't impressive - perhaps but I've seen us turning the ball over in the opponent's red zones quite a bit since DA cooled right off (ie; 4 INTs at Cincy in Dec 07 or the 10-6 loss at home to Pitt in 08). Winning close games gets far more difficult if the QB plays Santa Claus to defenses with a positive alternative ranging from 3 to 7 points.

Anyway, the job of a young QB today is to improve quickly and consistently or the most popular QB in town becomes the #2 QB on the depth chart. Cleveland isn't the only place this happens in - remember when a majority of Dallas fans wanted Steve Walsh over Troy Aikman? And Aikman NEVER stopped going to the TE Jay Novocek so I don't know why QB's looking to their TEs suddenly became a weakness from those that wasted time on that this week.

I'll agree Quinn's opener didn't go the way I wanted it to without using Loverboy's old and new testaments of excuses for the QB. This might have been the first football forum I've ever seen Adam and Eve called out for a QB like DA. However, when an author gets as creative as Stephen King I am intrigued to read more.

- Tom F.

Archived