THE BROWNS BOARD

The Purge

Oh yes !    And the beat goes ON .....

NFL Black Monday live updates: Latest on coaches fired, front-office moves

46 minutes ago, Orion said:

Personally, I think the Jaguars coach has earned it too.

Or we just have to come to the conclusion Lawrence and his hair are over rated...

• Haha 1

Add Mike Vrabel to the list, the most surprising so far probably:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39272784/sources-titans-fire-coach-mike-vrabel-6-seasons

Not sure I get it, I think the titans were just a victim of aging stars that aren't really stars anymore - they need to enter rebuild mode, guess they want a new coach to lead the way through that.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Pederson is so insanely stubborn with Press Taylor for some reason, maybe they have a secret relationship or something. That's his biggest problem as a coach...living and dying by a terrible offensive playcaller for no apparent reason. 

16 hours ago, Orion said:

Head coaches fired today =  Commanders and Falcons.

The Commanders were indeed a hot mess, but let's not forget they officially went into tank mode trading away Sweat and Young...   🙄

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

Add Mike Vrabel to the list, the most surprising so far probably:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39272784/sources-titans-fire-coach-mike-vrabel-6-seasons

Not sure I get it, I think the titans were just a victim of aging stars that aren't really stars anymore - they need to enter rebuild mode, guess they want a new coach to lead the way through that.

Pederson is so insanely stubborn with Press Taylor for some reason, maybe they have a secret relationship or something. That's his biggest problem as a coach...living and dying by a terrible offensive playcaller for no apparent reason. 

I don't get it either bb...  MHO is Vrabel is one of the better head coaches around, and he won't be unemployed for long... Or there was internal bickering between Vrabel and the GM... I want "my guy" as a HC..  Seems like the owner thinks he can pull another Chuck Noll\ Bill Cowher\ Mike Tomlin out of a hat..  If they wind up with another Hue Jackson instead, it will serve them right.... 

10 hours ago, Orion said:

A lot of people probably agree with you and some recent game plans/decisions didn't help him.  I think firing him this soon is a little harsh/drastic for what he did to that team last year leading them to the playoffs after the nightmare they had the year before.  They were about to do the same thing this year until Lawrence got hurt; and never looked the same again.  That changed everything.  Looks like they really need to hire a new OC but they've already fired their defensive coaching staff.   

9 hours ago, nickers said:

Or we just have to come to the conclusion Lawrence and his hair are over rated...

I like that Renaissance Fair look; but he better start helping his team fight back like Lancelot soon, REAL soon....

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bbedward said:

the play calling killed their chances towards the end of the game. Lawerence is not over rated ! only a kook would think that.

Add another one to the list, surprising- since he recently said he was going to continue to coach...  Pete Carroll of the Seahawks is resigning\ being promoted to the front office.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Add another one to the list, surprising- since he recently said he was going to continue to coach...  Pete Carroll of the Seahawks is resigning\ being promoted to the front office.  

That will last for about 15 minutes...

11 minutes ago, syd said:

Nick Saben retires on the same day as pete gets fired 

Not surprised, given his age, but yet I hadn't heard any rumblings that he was on the verge of retiring.

Going to be interesting to see who gets that gig. One helluva run he had down there.

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Going to be interesting to see who gets that gig.

Bear Bryant. Gene Stallings and then a few shit coach's. Nick Saben 6 nati's. who is gonna want to follow that up ?

1 hour ago, syd said:

Bear Bryant. Gene Stallings and then a few shit coach's. Nick Saben 6 nati's. who is gonna want to follow that up ?

Oregon's Dan Lanning and Clemson's Dabo Swinney are two possibilities. 

I don't see Alabama fading into mediocrity anytime soon.  

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oregon's Dan Lanning and Clemson's Dabo Swinney are two possibilities. 

I don't see Alabama fading into mediocrity anytime soon.  

Schools like Alabama and Ohio State recruit themselves.  Regardless of who the coach is...  Any four star recruit with NFL ambitions is (usually) going to want to play there. They have the luxury of turning away top tier talent. Look no farther than Joe Burrow, who was riding the bench at Ohio State, transferred and won a National Championship at LSU.  

18 hours ago, bbedward said:

End of an era, it’s still possible Belichik won’t be the patriots coach next season too - I gotta think they are thinking pretty hard about Vrabel - maybe wanting to test the trade market though.

Hoodie now heading south? To Atlanta next year?  If Vrabel doesn't get the Patriots job, he's going to be a head coach somewhere this coming season. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Hoodie now heading south? To Atlanta next year?  If Vrabel doesn't get the Patriots job, he's going to be a head coach somewhere this coming season. 

Like I said before, the last thing Ryan Day at Ohio State needs is an unemployed Mike Vrabel for the next year or so. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:59 PM, bbedward said:

belichik won’t be the patriots coach next season too

Does anyone think that Bill Belichik is now a different coach than he ever was?  For spite he held a player out of the super bowl and subsequently lost the game.  He cut Bernie Kosar to put in Todd Philcox.  He's a pig-headed a-hole.  But he's got a good mind for the defensive side of the ball.  The trouble is, he's too huge in stature to be anything but a HC.  

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

Does anyone think that Bill Belichik is now a different coach than he ever was?  For spite he held a player out of the super bowl and subsequently lost the game.  He cut Bernie Kosar to put in Todd Philcox.  He's a pig-headed a-hole.  But he's got a good mind for the defensive side of the ball.  The trouble is, he's too huge in stature to be anything but a HC.  

At the end of the day, he's 71 years old. 

He's a short-term rental at this point. The only way I'm hiring him is if my team was a ready-made Super Bowl contender missing a good head coach. Can't think of many really good mid 70s NFL head coaches. 

55 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The only way I'm hiring him

...and does he come as a package deal with the two other Belichick Patriots coaches also?  (Steve & Brian)

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

Schools like Alabama and Ohio State recruit themselves.  Regardless of who the coach is...  Any four star recruit with NFL ambitions is (usually) going to want to play there. They have the luxury of turning away top tier talent. Look no farther than Joe Burrow, who was riding the bench at Ohio State, transferred and won a National Championship at LSU.  

Could be called a poor coaching decision.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Could be called a poor coaching decision.

Dwayne Haskins threw for 4831 yards, 50 touchdowns vs 8 interceptions in 2018.

Justin Fields threw for 41 touchdowns vs 3 interceptions in 2019, and ran for nearly 500 yards with another 10 touchdowns. 

It sucks Ohio State missed out on Burrow's fantastic senior year, but it was the only really good season he had in college football, while Haskins and Fields did the above as a sophomores. 

Hoorta's got an excellent point. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:59 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Dwayne Haskins threw for 4831 yards, 50 touchdowns vs 8 interceptions in 2018.

Justin Fields threw for 41 touchdowns vs 3 interceptions in 2019, and ran for nearly 500 yards with another 10 touchdowns. 

It sucks Ohio State missed out on Burrow's fantastic senior year, but it was the only really good season he had in college football, while Haskins and Fields did the above as a sophomores. 

Hoorta's got an excellent point. 

I understand.  It could still be called a poor coaching decision.  It's not Burrows fault he didn't play those other years.  If he had, could his numbers have been similar or better?  Based on what has happened at the NFL level, it fair to speculate he would have played as well or better .

Quite certain, won't see another coaching purge like the present.

Nov. 1, parting ways with coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Dave Ziegler.

On Nov. 27, the Panthers fired HC Frank Reich and GM Scott Fitterer

Dec. 15, the Chargers dismissed coach Brandon Staley and GM Tom Telesco

the Falcons HC dismissed Arthur Smith after their season finale Sunday.

The Commanders fired GM & HC Ron Rivera on Black Monday. Hired former 49'ers suit, Adam Peters as new GM

on Tuesday the Titans fired Mike Vrabel.

Wednesday the Seattle Seahawks had relieved Pete Carroll of head-coaching duties but are keeping him in the organization as an adviser. (Nah!)

Nick Saban, one of college football's coaching greats who won seven national championships and turned Alabama back into a national powerhouse that included six of those titles, announced his retirement Wednesday after 17 seasons in Tuscaloosa. Saban's replacement, Washington Huskies HC Kalen DeBoer was announced HC of Alabama on Friday 

Thursday morning, the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick agreed to part ways, ending their 24-year run that included six Super Bowl championships. Jarod Mayo was pre-contracted to replace BB & announced HC Friday of Patriots

NFL Coordinator openings

DC

Former defensive coordinator: Washington Jack Del Rio (fired Nov. 24)

Former defensive coordinator: Jacksonville Mike Caldwell (Jan. 8)

Former defensive coordinator: NYG Wink Martindale (parted ways Jan. 10)

OC

Former offensive coordinator: Raiders Mick Lombardi (fired Nov. 1)

Former offensive coordinator:  Buffalo Ken Dorsey (fired Nov. 14)

Former offensive coordinator: Pittsburgh Matt Canada (fired Nov. 21)

Former offensive coordinator: BEARS Luke Getsy (fired Jan. 10)

(Heavenly ghost of Gipper 🙏 ... would have had no short thoughts?)

Bless ya brother !

Who'd we miss ?

• Thanks 1