THE BROWNS BOARD

This one stung

Neo

I was proud of this team all year up until this point, all they have overcome to get to where they did, then this happened. I really hope there is no powder puff speech in the locker room about how it was a great season and they should be proud, I hope Stef lays into them. I don't think anybody in that locker room should be happy with that performance and they need to hear it. Everybody knows what they are capable of and they didn't play up to that tonight.

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

I was proud of this team all year up until this point, all they have overcome to get to where they did, then this happened. I really hope there is no powder puff speech in the locker room about how it was a great season and they should be proud, I hope Stef lays into them. I don't think anybody in that locker room should be happy with that performance and they need to hear it. Everybody knows what they are capable of and they didn't play up to that tonight.

You have to hand it to the Houston coaching staff. They figured out our weaknesses and used them very well to their advantage.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You have to hand it to the Houston coaching staff. They figured out our weaknesses and used them very well to their advantage.

Stef can kiss coach of the year goodbye after that game. Because Ryans was also in the running for it.

Just now, Neo said:

Stef can kiss coach of the year goodbye after that game. Because Ryans was also in the running for it.

And after watching how they attacked both the defense and the offense, he deserves it.

52 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And after watching how they attacked both the defense and the offense, he deserves it.

Yeah, but Ryans did it with his starters.

Stef had a roster full of PS players.

• Upvote 1

I’d say it’s the worst loss in a long time in browns history.

Just because of how hyped it all was after the 4 game winning streak.

”the postseason is back in Cleveland!”

”generational defense”

Then to come out and get ass spanked by a rookie HC and QB.

There may be reasons to be optimistic about the roster next year…but at least in 2020 we took some optimism out of the postseason. Big Ben crying, gave the chiefs a run for their money.

This was just…pathetic. There’s not a single positive thing you can take away from this game - the city was electric and let down in catastrophic fashion.

I think we all know that while this defense was VERY good this season, it wasn't the #1 defense like the media kept saying. But I'll take what they did this year over the Joe Woods era. But today was a major letdown and probably the biggest disappointment of the day - the way this defense completely did not show up. Garrett/Ward were definitely not the same players after their injuries this season and our defense was flat footed with little intensity the entire game today (except JOK) - Houston used their speed and we had no answer. 

It was an embarrassing loss, so while it sucks to lose like this, we had backups and practice squad players on the field.

The media fell in love with the Joe Flacco story (and it was an amazing ride).....then the media started thinking the Browns could win the Super Bowl this year. Any Browns fan knew this was insane/laughable. My expectations were maybe we could beat Houston - then get our brains beat in the second round by Baltimore, Buffalo, or the Chiefs. There was no overcoming the amount of injuries we had. Again, not an excuse for the no-show today but we overachieved at 11-6 this year (probably 12-5 if we play starters in Week 18). 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, bbedward said:

Then to come out and get ass spanked by a rookie HC and QB.

16 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

was an embarrassing loss, so while it sucks to lose like this, we had backups and practice squad players on the field.

The Texans had a worse record yet we had to play them in their house. Unless we win the division, we will never sniff a Super Bowl.

That's just the cold hard reality. And we play in a division where at least two other teams are perennial contenders.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

I think we all know that while this defense was VERY good this season, it wasn't the #1 defense like the media kept saying. But I'll take what they did this year over the Joe Woods era. But today was a major letdown and probably the biggest disappointment of the day - the way this defense completely did not show up. Garrett/Ward were definitely not the same players after their injuries this season and our defense was flat footed with little intensity the entire game today (except JOK) - Houston used their speed and we had no answer. 

It was an embarrassing loss, so while it sucks to lose like this, we had backups and practice squad players on the field.

The media fell in love with the Joe Flacco story (and it was an amazing ride).....then the media started thinking the Browns could win the Super Bowl this year. Any Browns fan knew this was insane/laughable. My expectations were maybe we could beat Houston - then get our brains beat in the second round by Baltimore, Buffalo, or the Chiefs. There was no overcoming the amount of injuries we had. Again, not an excuse for the no-show today but we overachieved at 11-6 this year (probably 12-5 if we play starters in Week 18). 

REALLY well said!   It seemed like every time I watched a road game whether it was in Denver, Seattle, LA or most recently in Houston - the commentators that did their last minute cliff notes research on the Browns wore the following statement out: "The Cleveland Browns have the #1 Defense"  All the while they were doing it Seattle drove their first 2 drives down the field and into the end zone spotting them a 14-3 the Browns couldn't overcome.  Denver bullied the crap out of the #1 Defense and how much did our #1 Defense scare the LA Rams?  ALL that bullshit is like a Peter King designating his annual 1 hour of researching what's going on with the Browns and summarizing it as well as any stranger to them can do it in the 20 minutes or so it takes to write his summary of the Browns.  However, in this case the commentators are stuck doing it for 3 hours; so we get to hear how unbeatable the #1 Defense is from people that are completely unfamiliar with it.

My take?  Our defense came a LONG way from last year; and I was really proud of them for that.  However, you can't patch ALL of your depth and weaknesses in just 1 offseason - especially without a 1st round draft pick (which Houston is in sole possession of).  Schwartz was a much needed addition as we witnessed via his tapping the very best of Myles Garrett, JOK and Denzel Ward.  The DT position was the biggest improvement in talent, depth and performance.  Unfortunately, we missed the big plays at the best of times from Mo Hurst in our rotation after he went on IR.  Meanwhile, our secondary got exposed for all to see yesterday and in LA.  I would have added Denver but Denzel Ward was out that game so Newsome got completely overwhelmed trying to cover their #1 WR Sutton.  Probably the most embarrassing moment (shortly after the 5th time we had to hear the Browns have the #1 defense) was when a Denver Receiver got deep with nobody covering him or within 30 yards of him.  Luckily he was overthrown.  Having said that, earlier on they completed a deep pass to a receiver that easily got behind our secondary and Newsome made the TD saving tackle.  No doubt CJ had a great day; but it would have been nice if our corners at least competed to the extent that he had to throw them open.  That wasn't required at all of CJ.  We all loved what Schwartz did for our defense this season; but Houston was better prepared on both sides of the ball.  I was worried about securing the football and turnovers; but even without their 2 pick 6s - their offense still scored 31 points on drives/big play passes.

Reality is the Browns didn't win 11 games by accident.  They earned a lot of hard fought victories in spite of their injury volumes on both sides of the ball. I think we were all proud of them for that. We'll got our top 2 RTs back next year and hopefully a harder working/more inspired Wills at LT.  We can draft someone in the 2nd round this time around instead overrating the crap out of another Eli Moore.  In rounds 2-4, please draft a DB/Safety with smarts, find the next version Fred Warner at LB in round 3 and perhaps a RB that doesn't blow off daylight for tap dances. The dream is to get Nick Chubb back in the lineup.   I hope the FO & Stefanski is prepared for the possibility of losing Schwartz.  If that does happen, is their a Defensive Coach here that learned the system enough to be promoted for the sake of continuity and the popularity of the scheme from the players?

We're gonna see so don't change that station - especially for Peacock!

• Upvote 1

Oh ! Saturday's game will sting up to Senior Bowl practices for this fan

In my crazy mind..I'd like to use the excuse of up to *8-10 NFL starters the Browns lost thru out the season when I phone a friend 📞

But honestly, just Tip your cap to the players & coaching staff of the young Texans.. It may not of mattered as well as Houston played 

another exciting chapter of the 2023 Browns Football is in the books 

Signed,

The toughest fan base in all of Pro Football 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

The Cleveland Browns have the #1 Defense"  All the while they were doing it Seattle drove their first 2 drives down the field and into the end zone spotting them a 14-3 the Browns couldn't overcome.  Denver bullied the crap out of the #1 Defense and how much did our #1 Defense scare the LA Rams

Which is why I stated in the game thread this team isn't built for the playoffs.  If the defense can't play on the road then the Browns need to win the division to secure a home game.  Baltimore is no pushover, Pittsburgh is no pushover, and when Burrow comes back, I would say the Bengals are no pushover. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Which is why I stated in the game thread this team isn't built for the playoffs.  If the defense can't play on the road then the Browns need to win the division to secure a home game.  Baltimore is no pushover, Pittsburgh is no pushover, and when Burrow comes back, I would say the Bengals are no pushover. 

Thanks Neo!   A lot of my post was blowing off steam; but that second to last paragraph is where I think we're at....

On 1/13/2024 at 9:50 PM, Neo said:

I think all the season awards are regular season accomplishments. They are voted on before the playoffs begin.  I know they do it that way in baseball.

8 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Well there's one thing for sure and that is that it should put an end to the ever popular fan QB controversy. Flacco did as well as can be expected and I was as on board as anyone but this will put a definitive stamp on Watson as day 1 starter. 

How many games are you giving Deshaun to get his shit together?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, nickers said:

How many games are you giving Deshaun to get his shit together?

We were winning games with him, regardless of what anybody thinks of him. Flacco was a great spark, but nobody would say he gave us a better chance to win in Texas than Watson would have…

Id still be cool to bring Flacco as a QB2, but it probably won’t happen because when Watson throws his first pick the fanbase and media would be extremely toxic.

11 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Well there's one thing for sure and that is that it should put an end to the ever popular fan QB controversy. Flacco did as well as can be expected and I was as on board as anyone but this will put a definitive stamp on Watson as day 1 starter. 

If Watson is the day one starter, we're right back in the same boat . We need to start shopping Watson around and looking for a game manager. This may piss a bunch of you off but I'm too old to give a shit. I believe wholeheartedly if we would have just kept Mayfield we would have walked away with  the north and played at home in the playoffs and kept our draft picks. I really don't think it can be disputed.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, darkside5 said:

If Watson is the day one starter, we're right back in the same boat . We need to start shopping Watson around and looking for a game manager. This may piss a bunch of you off but I'm too old to give a shit. I believe wholeheartedly if we would have just kept Mayfield we would have walked away with  the north and played at home in the playoffs and kept our draft picks. I really don't think it can be disputed.

I mean, maybe - doesn’t matter though because mayfield isn’t a brown.  Mayfield also played plenty of games like ass this year - the bucs were just lucky enough to play in the worst division and get a home playoff game with sub-10 wins.

There is no market for Watson, and he’s not as bad to be stuck with as some fans think…if he can stay healthy going forward. We beat the favorites to win the Super Bowl, on the road, with Watson at QB.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bbedward said:

I mean, maybe - doesn’t matter though because mayfield isn’t a brown.  Mayfield also played plenty of games like ass this year - the bucs were just lucky enough to play in the worst division and get a home playoff game with sub-10 wins.

There is no market for Watson, and he’s not as bad to be stuck with as some fans think…if he can stay healthy going forward. We beat the favorites to win the Super Bowl, on the road, with Watson at QB.

Philly lost their mojo from game 13 on. Mayfield benefited from that fact.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Philly lost their mojo from game 13 on. Mayfield benefited from that fact.

The NFC beyond the 49ers is mediocre to hot garbage. Wouldn't shock me if TB beat Detroit next weekend too. 

It will be interesting to see how the Bucs do next year when they get to play a first-place schedule, and not the Charmin-soft one they had this year. 

I kept my thoughts more in my head because I wanted to manifest positivity, but I candidly wasn't super surprised with the outcome. The playoffs are notorious for putting teams flaws in a microscope, and the three under the Flacco era were:

1) Joe Flacco interceptions (and really, the turnovers in general)- I forgot the exact stat, but they said during the game they were the first team in some crazy amount of years to make the playoffs with the amount of turnovers had this season.

2) the defense playing markedly worse on the road than at home

3) a complete lack of a run game to balance the offense

Those three factors, in that order really, caused this game simply to not be close. Fortunately, there's some reason to believe #1 and #3 could vastly improve just with people the Browns are getting back (although not getting into the Watson debate). The 2nd bullet, though, is very befuddling and really needs to get addressed during the offseason. I like Schwartz a lot and I'm fine bringing him back, but it's crazy how polar opposite the team was. 

Kudos to the Texans too- I'd be pretty surprised if Slowek doesn't get the nod for a HC vacancy in the coming days.

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I kept my thoughts more in my head because I wanted to manifest positivity, but I candidly wasn't super surprised with the outcome. The playoffs are notorious for putting teams flaws in a microscope, and the three under the Flacco era were:

1) Joe Flacco interceptions (and really, the turnovers in general)- I forgot the exact stat, but they said during the game they were the first team in some crazy amount of years to make the playoffs with the amount of turnovers had this season.

2) the defense playing markedly worse on the road than at home

3) a complete lack of a run game to balance the offense

Those three factors, in that order really, caused this game simply to not be close. Fortunately, there's some reason to believe #1 and #3 could vastly improve just with people the Browns are getting back (although not getting into the Watson debate). The 2nd bullet, though, is very befuddling and really needs to get addressed during the offseason. I like Schwartz a lot and I'm fine bringing him back, but it's crazy how polar opposite the team was. 

Kudos to the Texans too- I'd be pretty surprised if Slowek doesn't get the nod for a HC vacancy in the coming days.

I wonder if the Bob Slowik that was the DC for the Browns in 1999 is the father of Houston's OC Bob Slowik.

52 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I wonder if the Bob Slowik that was the DC for the Browns in 1999 is the father of Houston's OC Bob Slowik.

Yeah , I remember him being the author of the "UFO" Defense

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

He sure is, actually: https://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches-roster/bobby-slowik

Not only did I (begrudgingly) think he called an excellent game, he has all the allure that teams are salivating over in terms of "coaching tree" as well. It seems like Bill B. is interested in the Atlanta job, but he'd make a great fit there with the weapons they have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Yeah , I remember him being the author of the "UFO" Defense

I hated the huge coverage cushions he had the corners using in that defense.  It was like he forfeited their opportunity to compete.  

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

It seems like Bill B. is interested in the Atlanta job, but he'd make a great fit there with the weapons they have.

I wonder if Bill is asking to draft his own players if a team were to hire him.

Let’s face it, Belichick isn’t exactly good at college player evaluation.

5 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I wonder if Bill is asking to draft his own players if a team were to hire him.

Let’s face it, Belichick isn’t exactly good at college player evaluation.

If I was looking for a head coach today, I'd probably not even bother to interview BB.

I think his time has past. I'm not saying he's horrible or Tom Brady is the only reason he's going into the HOF, I just don't see him at this point of his career being the HC I want to go into the future with. I'd roll the dice on someone much younger. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hated the huge coverage cushions he had the corners using in that defense.  It was like he forfeited their opportunity to compete.  

I loved the shifting on the Dline disguising the coverages and thats where it ended for me... As you said... The back end was always frustrating.. Although when Butch Davis took over... Earl Little was fun to watch at safety even though it was the twilight of his career...

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 6:30 PM, nickers said:

I loved the shifting on the Dline disguising the coverages and thats where it ended for me... As you said... The back end was always frustrating.. Although when Butch Davis took over... Earl Little was fun to watch at safety even though it was the twilight of his career...

Those back ends always give you trouble 🤣🤣🤣.

• Haha 1