THE BROWNS BOARD

Well this Stinks

syd

Damn, I was hoping we were going to dodge this bullet. 

He's 67 though, you have to wonder how much longer he would have been around anyways. 

Great job while you were here, Bill. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn, I was hoping we were going to dodge this bullet

wish full thinking at best and i was also, But how often  doe's someone get to coach with their son

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Damn, I was hoping we were going to dodge this bullet. 

He's 67 though, you have to wonder how much longer he would have been around anyways. 

Great job while you were here, Bill. 

At least 10 years. Hell I'm turning 77 next month and still play 1 1/2 to 2 hours racquetball 5 days a week. It's not like a coach is actually playing or anything. And yeah, I occasionally instruct others how to improve their game if they ask (and sometimes even when they don't ask because I see stupid stuff that is easily corrected LOL!😁).

• Haha 1

AGH smh-fuck.gif.3ee095ef22f160eae9349567236e9107.gif   happy Friday ! 

Another NFL 1st in Cleveland

Good for the Callahan family & Good luck Bill Callahan 🧡 🤎

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

At least 10 years. Hell I'm turning 77 next month and still play 1 1/2 to 2 hours racquetball 5 days a week. It's not like a coach is actually playing or anything. And yeah, I occasionally instruct others how to improve their game if they ask (and sometimes even when they don't ask because I see stupid stuff that is easily corrected LOL!😁).

Perhaps, or in a year or two he thinks "I have made a ton of money coaching and I have a family that I'd like to actually spend time with instead of putting in 12+ hour days for huge chunks of the year..." 

48 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Perhaps, or in a year or two he thinks "I have made a ton of money coaching and I have a family that I'd like to actually spend time with instead of putting in 12+ hour days for huge chunks of the year..." 

DAD!  This isn't at all what I had in mind for you when our offense takes the field for the 1st time!   

image.png.b8ca83ba9853004e183e46dc55a983c7.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well, it keeps me away from the witch bout 10 hours a week, so ipso facto gotta work for him too.🤫

• Haha 3

On 2/2/2024 at 8:00 AM, Flugel said:

DAD!  This isn't at all what I had in mind for you when our offense takes the field for the 1st time!   

image.png.b8ca83ba9853004e183e46dc55a983c7.png

14174560.66957df89e678a9061af93c4eaf79cbf.thumb.jpg.5efa41f53f34756adb40fad22103ccc2.jpg

Vegas Vipers[edit]

Coach Rod Woodson of the Vegas Vipers hired Wylie as an assistant for the 2023 season.[17] On January 1, 2024, it was announced the Vipers would not be apart of the UFL Merger.[18]

On 2/1/2024 at 10:52 PM, Flugel said:

Even though I had a sick feeling this was inevitable - I'm not as prepared as I thought I'd be.  Big loss for us; but happy for him. Hopefully his Assistant Line Coach (Scott Peters) the last 4 years here is ready to be promoted.

Scott Peters is heading to New England with AVP.

I'd be reaching out to Mike Munchak.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AP1 said:

Scott Peters is heading to New England with AVP.

I'd be reaching out to Mike Munchak.

I'd like that! 🍻

He's interested in the right situation; and I'm glad to read it isn't with Pittsburgh.  I think he was interested in the TN Titans as of a couple weeks ago.   This should be an attractive job for a guy like Munchak.  I can still remember him and Bruce Matthews frequenting Pro Bowls for the Oilers - do I dare ask how long ago that was?  

Before I forget, good for Scott Peters!  The move to stay with AVP makes perfect sense.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

I'd like that! 🍻

He's interested in the right situation; and I'm glad to read it isn't with Pittsburgh.  I think he was interested in the TN Titans as of a couple weeks ago.   This should be an attractive job for a guy like Munchak.  I can still remember him and Bruce Matthews frequenting Pro Bowls for the Oilers - do I dare ask how long ago that was?  

Before I forget, good for Scott Peters!  The move to stay with AVP makes perfect sense.

I should have elaborated that the interest in TN probably didn't end his interest in returning to the Coaching OL the day we lost Callahan to TN.  The Browns could be a great situation for Munchak.  Once upon a time, the young version Roethlisberger used to run/scramble much like Watson does.  I say that because as he got older with wear and tear, he/Pitt stopped a lot of that running down field while allowing him to be elusive in the pocket (more like Brady or Marino was despite their cement cleats).  When Munch was there - they found a compatibility with the line and the QB while he was extending time to throw.

Maybe Munch could be a guy that could make a LT out of Dawand Jones - just spit balling here since the solution probably isn't available at #50 overall.

2 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I should have elaborated that the interest in TN probably didn't end his interest in returning to the Coaching OL the day we lost Callahan to TN.  The Browns could be a great situation for Munchak.  Once upon a time, the young version Roethlisberger used to run/scramble much like Watson does.  I say that because as he got older with wear and tear, he/Pitt stopped a lot of that running down field while allowing him to be elusive in the pocket (more like Brady or Marino was despite their cement cleats).  When Munch was there - they found a compatibility with the line and the QB while he was extending time to throw.

Maybe Munch could be a guy that could make a LT out of Dawand Jones - just spit balling here since the solution probably isn't available at #50 overall.

I had some doubts that Jones could start at RT for a year or two when we drafted him, I figured he'd be a slow work-in-process...

Now I'm starting to think that he could very well be our LT of the future. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I had some doubts that Jones could start at RT for a year or two when we drafted him, I figured he'd be a slow work-in-process...

Now I'm starting to think that he could very well be our LT of the future. 

You're actually the one that got me to rethink the idea from 1 of our football discussions somewhere.  You were just spit balling the idea/thought wondering if he could play LT here; and I don't think I was immediately open to it.  Just like a fine wine, the idea got better with time.  FWIW, nobody thought Tampa's Tristan Wirfs would ever be a LT in this league; and he handled the move to the position extremely well this season.  That said, he's got the strong work ethic to pull off that kind of change.  

Prior to injury, Jones ended up having a really good season as short as it was.  Here's the thing, he can't show up to training camp out of shape again; because maybe/maybe not it could have been a big part of the reason his body wasn't equipped to handle the 17 game marathon.  In 2020, the inexperienced Jed Wills played his best football in the 4 years we watched him.  When I look at the mistakes he makes today - I'm seeing a guy that is very inconsistent with his base/feet out of stance and pad height telling me he just doesn't work at it in the off-season like a professional should.  Yeah, I understand he had a high ankle sprain in the soph season but he milked that excuse for 2 seasons. Even more concerning was there was very little drop-off (if any) when a previously unemployed FA Geron Christian replaced Wills following his season ending injury. 

Understanding our situation, the move can't hurt especially if Conklin can finally answer the bell at RT.  If he can't, the other idea is to have Wills return to his college comfort zone at RT and compete with Hudson for the starting job.  That means he's signing up for 2 games against TJ Watt.  Not only that, it also means he still has to work on the stuff I mentioned (as well as stuff I missed) to establish the consistency that has eluded him.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, syd said:

we tried that experiment with Wills. leave Jones at right. Conklin has played left tackle and make Wills the swing guy

Just thinking out loud Syd and that's fine if you disagree.  You're a die hard.

Here's my angle. We both know Jones ain't Wills.  Conklin is too old and worn and torn to play LT today.  I don't think he's played any LT since his 1st 2 or 3 years at Michigan State.

If a lesser athlete like Orlando Brown can make the change from RT to LT in the NFL; and continue to make Pro Bowls and win a Super Bowl at LT -  there's no reason Jones can't.  Jones is a better athlete and he's stronger than Brown.  What Jones has in common with Brown is a 6'8" frame with long arms/big wing span that are very helpful to a LT.   When he gets those big paws on defenders across from him - he stymies them. 

The one worry is Jones showed up to training camp out of shape last year. 

6 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Conklin is too old and worn and torn to play LT today.

he is only 29 I bet he could hold down the position untill hopefully a rookie can take over. yes I know they are guards  Bitonio 32 Teller 29, seems we should be looking to draft a guard soon also

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Conklin is made of glass... I'm honestly surprised he hasn't retired at this point. 

I like Conklin but I don't think Syd wants to accept how much all those knee surgeries have aged those 29 year old legs. None of his extensive history of knee injuries and surgeries add up to moving from Right Tackle to Left Tackle. He's still a very good run blocker; so I'd love if he could play Right Tackle all year.  Why make make Jones sit if that happens when he could probably easily outperform anyone else trying to start at Left Tackle on this roster.

Edited by Flugel
  • Upvote 1