THE BROWNS BOARD

Some 49ers Didn't Know the OT Rules

AP1

50 minutes ago, AP1 said:

The article is here.

If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.

And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.

This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.

What say you?

wrong link....it's a U2 concert

Well, I wasn't aware that a TD in OT no longer was an automatic win.

I mean, where do you draw the line?  They had to play a whole quarter plus last night.  

I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.

Edited by Neo

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I think the rules were pretty clear. They started a new game, a TD or a field goal didn't end the game unless it was a defensive score. Basically, the other team had a chance to match the score (or score more points) by the other team unless a defense scored or took the ball away and then scored.

I understand.

I also think it gets convoluted when Regular Season OT and Post Season OT aren't the same because post season games can't end in a tie. 

5 hours ago, AP1 said:

Some 49ers Players Didn't Know OT Rules

If a team doesn't know the rules they don't deserve to win.

And on the other hand, Sudden Death was a poor rule. Sudden Death with the chance to match is a poor rule.

This can be easily solved with putting the ball at the other team's 40 and forcing teams to match scores.

What say you?

I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked. 

Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.

39 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don't know, I kinda feel this would put a lot of undue stress on kickers. Seems to me, they are already under a lot of stress ever since they changed where the XP is kicked. 

Doing the way they are now kind of evens the load out. It also rewards those who play good defense. If you can take away the ball, you can end the game with a score.

I agree. Let's take the kicking out of it. No FGs. No going for two. Man up and move the ball. Man up and stop the ball from moving.

43 minutes ago, Neo said:

It would equally force both sides to be aggressive. 

4 hours ago, Neo said:

I think the rules were pretty clear.

Yes, but that's when I found out that a TD scored by the receiving team didn't end the game.  I wasn't aware of that prior to then.

17 hours ago, AP1 said:

I understand.

I also think it gets convoluted when Regular Season OT and Post Season OT aren't the same because post season games can't end in a tie. 

Interesting discussion; but aren't we overthinking all this though?  If you get the ball 1st against the Chiefs and only play to settle for a FG; the team with Mahomes is going to be calling plays with the understanding they have all 4 downs to get a 1st down until they score a TD in the ultimate reason they're playing the game in the first place - to win it. This isn't hindsight 20/20. One team planned ahead remaining who they are Defending Champions successfully defending their SB championship. If you can lose a 10 point lead in regulation against them - they should have known they could lose 3 point lead in OT.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Flugel said:

That or he loves 2nd place on Super Bowl Sundays Nicks.

He's got to win one eventually.. Or it just isn't meant to be...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

He's got to win one eventually.. Or it just isn't meant to be...

SO true my friend,  so true.  It is   really   hard to stick it out and goall the way to the bitter end and fi ish. # 1.

Everybody wants you now !

21 hours ago, Flugel said:

Interesting discussion; but aren't we overthinking all this though?  If you get the ball 1st against the Chiefs and only play to settle for a FG; the team with Mahomes is going to be calling plays with the understanding they have all 4 downs to get a 1st down until they score a TD in the ultimate reason they're playing the game in the first place - to win it. This isn't hindsight 20/20. One team planned ahead remaining who they are Defending Champions successfully defending their SB championship. If you can lose a 10 point lead in regulation against them - they should have known they could lose 3 point lead in OT.

Of course, we're (I'm) overthinking it. But the NFL, in my most humble opinion, is underthinking it and has been since 1958. 

I don't like sudden death for a Team game (mostly) dependent upon having possession of the ball to score.

I also don't like OT one way during the regular season and another way during the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AP1 said:

Of course, we're (I'm) overthinking it. But the NFL, in my most humble opinion, is underthinking it and has been since 1958. 

I don't like sudden death for a Team game (mostly) dependent upon having possession of the ball to score.

I also don't like OT one way during the regular season and another way during the playoffs. 

Thanks!  Good points made. Bottom line though: Ties suck even worse when the game can't be settled in 60 minutes.  The NFL is in such a hurry to make changes that when it's time to do so - they come up with something so fast that it has glitches that need adjustments/improvements.  Like you said, make your OT rules and keep them the same for the regular and post season.  There's no perfect way to do it; the longer you play a game the more fatigue sets in and the risk of injuries increase. I'd say give each team 2 possessions. Pre-determine before games what you'll do in situations (ie; go for 2 or just 1 after the TD). Again though, if you keep your starting D out there to defend a 2 point conversion or your starting O to convert it - it's another chance for injury to a valuable starter in that 5th quarter of the game. 

I don't like the direction the NFL is going.  Greed aimed at spreading the Sunday Ticket Monopoly over seas/different countries/different continents; having the players play too many games during the week for prime time viewing (not giving players enough rest/recuperation for their bodies).  Injury volumes seemed like they were at an all-time high all over the league. Then people had to stream Peacock to watch a playoff game (even if it wasn't all that much to do so - it's the point the people with the power are deciding that Multi billions of $ aren't enough). This year 2 teams will be playing their opener in freakin Brazil.  Why?  Increase those Sunday Ticket contracts and encourage more gambling opportunities so we can popularize that (if we worry about officiating now - just think where that could all be going).  What if that was in lieu of our scheduled home game vrs Pitt or Baltimore or even Cincy?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Thanks!  Good points made. Bottom line though: Ties suck even worse when the game can't be settled in 60 minutes.  The NFL is in such a hurry to make changes that when it's time to do so - they come up with something so fast that it has glitches that need adjustments/improvements.  Like you said, make your OT rules and keep them the same for the regular and post season.  There's no perfect way to do it; the longer you play a game the more fatigue sets in and the risk of injuries increase. I'd say give each team 2 possessions. Pre-determine before games what you'll do in situations (ie; go for 2 or just 1 after the TD). Again though, if you keep your starting D out there to defend a 2 point conversion or your starting O to convert it - it's another chance for injury to a valuable starter in that 5th quarter of the game. 

I don't like the direction the NFL is going.  Greed aimed at spreading the Sunday Ticket Monopoly over seas/different countries/different continents; having the players play too many games during the week for prime time viewing (not giving players enough rest/recuperation for their bodies).  Injury volumes seemed like they were at an all-time high all over the league. Then people had to stream Peacock to watch a playoff game (even if it wasn't all that much to do so - it's the point the people with the power are deciding that Multi billions of $ aren't enough). This year 2 teams will be playing their opener in freakin Brazil.  Why?  Increase those Sunday Ticket contracts and encourage more gambling opportunities so we can popularize that (if we worry about officiating now - just think where that could all be going).  What if that was in lieu of our scheduled home game vrs Pitt or Baltimore or even Cincy?  

I don't disagree.

21 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

if only  Ray Farmer couldve *texted shanny 

and give him Romos advice about going out on defense for OT 1st?

Every podunk college coach in America knows that if you win the OT toss, then you choose defense first. See what happens when you skip the wrong class too much.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:25 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Every podunk college coach in America knows that if you win the OT toss, then you choose defense first. See what happens when you skip the wrong class too much.

All true; but when you watch a Champion in boxing defending his championship - it's frequently been said you have to knock the Champion out to win.

First, the they had a 10 point lead.  Next, they tapped the brakes until the Chefs looked more like the Chiefs.  When it ended up tied, then SF got the ball 1st in OT - approaching that drive like they had all 4 downs to move the chains is playing to knockout the Champions or at least get the knockdown/standing 8. Does anyone really think KC would have just played for a FG if they got the ball first? The knew what they were going to do in OT before the game was even played.  

The 49ers had multiple opportunities build on their momentum by stepping on the gas; but Shanahan preferred to tap the brakes each and every time.  As soon as your thinking shifts to focusing on the "BE CAREFUL" guess who's not handling the pressure?  You take care of the "BE CAREFUL"  stuff every day in practice leading up to the game with polished fundamental and readiness to exploit weaknesses with situational football.  Now win the thing!