THE BROWNS BOARD

#34 Baby

syd

Seeing this list got me thinking about Michael Dean Perry - 5x All Pro, 6 Pro Bowls and 1989 AFC Defensive Player of the Year, 500+ tackles, 60+ sacks and more tackles for loss that aren't sacks than Cortez Kennedy, Warren Sapp, John Randal, Bryant Young and Aaron Donald.

That looks like a Hall of Fame resume.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, syd said:

Thatta boy Syd!  I'll bet the guy wearing #34 in my Avatar appreciates you sharing this.  Kevin Mack did #34 extremely proud as well.  Loved both those guys; but after Kelly retired - Pruitt was the exciting guy I couldn't wait to see.  The 1st year they overlapped, he averaged 6 yards a carry and made the Pro Bowl as the AFC Kick/Punt Return man while Terry Metcalf (Eric's father) accomplished the same honor in the NFC.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Umm...it's not DAN Cockroft.  It's DON   :)  

There was a dude who used to come to my Parents bar in Wickliffe during the 70's. We carried the game on Sunday's because we had a high powered antenna and get the feed from other outlets so blackouts were never a problem for us...... When Cockcroft came to kick he would scream.. "Don't miss it Cockey!!" I use to bust up laughing cuz it sounded so damn funny..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

There are a handful of numbers with room to upgrade.  But I wish they'd have shown some sort of picture for the guys with no picture.   

▪︎-->  Oh yes Orion !

This thread inspired me to  kick-off-another-one  which covers the  BROWNS  and the entire  32 team  NFL  !

★  Check it out with your suggestions !

This Wyatt Teller block highlighted as a “favorite play” of 2024 as he buries a Bengals defender “25 yards down the field”

but the dude said we traded poyer for him ? No Poyer was not re signed. we traded a 5th and a 6th for him

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:46 PM, Neo said:

# 29 Hanford Dixon with an honorable mention to Eric Turner.😲

and 

#31 Frank Minnifield with an honorable mention of Jamal Lewis.

Yep. Pretty stupid.

Hanford Dixon is a HOFer. Overlooked always.

He doesn't have the "numbers" because nobody dared to throw it on him for a couple seasons.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yep. Pretty stupid.

Hanford Dixon is a HOFer. Overlooked always.

He doesn't have the "numbers" because nobody dared to throw it on him for a couple seasons.

You know how it goes with these kind of things. The guys that played more recently usually get ranked higher by people less familiar/less comfortable with rating the older guy higher. 

For example (with comparing QBs instead of guys w/same jersey numbers), if anyone ever dared to compare Otto Graham to Joe Namath right after the Jets (from the NYC market) upset Baltimore in the Super Bowl - guess who wins that comparison? The era was different so I won't even get into the lack of flatter from his stats/numbers beyond that 1 season.  Now, we're hearing Patrick Mahomes is chasing Tom Brady's temporarily secured GOAT status.  All these rule changes and increased # of games over the years have helped more QBs achieve higher ratings; better completion percentage; more yardage, more TDs, etc.  Nobody EVER mentions Otto Graham; but can you find me 1 QB that led his pro football team to the Championship Game every single year he was employed (10 years for Otto) and won 7 of those?  The 1st league (AAFC) he won all 4 and then in the NFL he won 3 of the 6 (winning the first and last two) for an accomplishment of 7 Championship Trophies in just 10 years.  Not 1 season in his career without ending in a Championship Game.  He didn't sit the bench for all but 1 game as a rookie like Mahomes and Brady; because he was busy leading his team to a Championship. You mention him today and people will look at you like you're endorsing Derek Carr as the GOAT.

Even the mention of Paul Brown up against other Head Coaches today will get you hearing a chorus of Budweiser Frog "yeah but" lyrics.  You'll hear he's no Chuck Noll or Don Shula or Bill Walsh from people that don't even realize who those guys either played for or coached for.  Today has sports writers that roll their eyes when they hear Cleveland so they'll put a 6 time Pro Bowl Guard like Gene Hickerson in the HOF 10 years after he was diagnosed with Alzheimers; because the brat-like committee has the attitude "he should be happy we even considered him."  Yeah, just imagine if he actually knew he made it - it might have actually meant something to him.  He died thinking he never made it. That's what you get with people from the here and now judging today's players up against guys from previous eras.

Back to the comparison of Cleveland jersey numbers - it's fun to reflect back on who wore the numbers.  Having said that, I'd rather compare Eric Turner to players that played his position here so nobody would have a problem with where he'd get ranked.  Comparing him to Hanford Dixon wasn't fair to either guy.  There wouldn't have been a Dawg Pound without Dixon or the elite bump and run coverage without his skillset.  Too bad that defense never had a Myles Garrett on the edge with Dixon and Minnifield on the corners. Even so, they warmed a lot of groins in the Dawg Pound. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

You know how it goes with these kind of things. The guys that played more recently usually get ranked higher by people less familiar/less comfortable with rating the older guy higher. 

For example (with comparing QBs instead of guys w/same jersey numbers), if anyone ever dared to compare Otto Graham to Joe Namath right after the Jets (from the NYC market) upset Baltimore in the Super Bowl - guess who wins that comparison? The era was different so I won't even get into the lack of flatter from his stats/numbers beyond that 1 season.  Now, we're hearing Patrick Mahomes is chasing Tom Brady's temporarily secured GOAT status.  All these rule changes and increased # of games over the years have helped more QBs achieve higher ratings; better completion percentage; more yardage, more TDs, etc.  Nobody EVER mentions Otto Graham; but can you find me 1 QB that led his pro football team to the Championship Game every single year he was employed (10 years for Otto) and won 7 of those?  The 1st league (AAFC) he won all 4 and then in the NFL he won 3 of the 6 (winning the first and last two) for an accomplishment of 7 Championship Trophies in just 10 years.  Not 1 season in his career without ending in a Championship Game.  He didn't sit the bench for all but 1 game as a rookie like Mahomes and Brady; because he was busy leading his team to a Championship. You mention him today and people will look at you like you're endorsing Derek Carr as the GOAT.

Even the mention of Paul Brown up against other Head Coaches today will get you hearing a chorus of Budweiser Frog "yeah but" lyrics.  You'll hear he's no Chuck Noll or Don Shula or Bill Walsh from people that don't even realize who those guys either played for or coached for.  Today has sports writers that roll their eyes when they hear Cleveland so they'll put a 6 time Pro Bowl Guard like Gene Hickerson in the HOF 10 years after he was diagnosed with Alzheimers; because the brat-like committee has the attitude "he should be happy we even considered him."  Yeah, just imagine if he actually knew he made it - it might have actually meant something to him.  He died thinking he never made it. That's what you get with people from the here and now judging today's players up against guys from previous eras.

Back to the comparison of Cleveland jersey numbers - it's fun to reflect back on who wore the numbers.  Having said that, I'd rather compare Eric Turner to players that played his position here so nobody would have a problem with where he'd get ranked.  Comparing him to Hanford Dixon wasn't fair to either guy.  There wouldn't have been a Dawg Pound without Dixon or the elite bump and run coverage without his skillset.  Too bad that defense never had a Myles Garrett on the edge with Dixon and Minnifield on the corners. Even so, they warmed a lot of groins in the Dawg Pound. 

And a coach who wouldn't give the game away with a prevent defense on a silver platter..

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

And a coach who wouldn't give the game away with a prevent defense on a silver platter..

Ouch! Do you remember what happened on the kickoff right before you gagged on the Prevent-a-win?  The Browns tried to pick up the loose ball on the ground and run with it - instead of just recovering the ball near the 2 yard line of Denver.  It could have been a really easy recovery.  Then they would have had 3 or 4 chances to punch Mack or Byner in the end zone while taking as much time as possible in the huddle or getting Denver to burn their remaining time outs.  Either way, they would have put the game out of reach with very little time left.

35 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Ouch! Do you remember what happened on the kickoff right before you gagged on the Prevent-a-win?  The Browns tried to pick up the loose ball on the ground and run with it - instead of just recovering the ball near the 2 yard line of Denver.  It could have been a really easy recovery.  Then they would have had 3 or 4 chances to punch Mack or Byner in the end zone while taking as much time as possible in the huddle or getting Denver to burn their remaining time outs.  Either way, they would have put the game out of reach with very little time left.

Yeah that was heart breaking...