Aug. 1: Hall of Fame Game, Canton, OH

Sept. 5: 2024 NFL season opens

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Orion said:

Feb. 27-March 4: NFL scouting combine, Indianapolis

Here's the schedule for the 2024 NFL Combine:

Tuesday, February 27th:

- NFL coaches and general managers will be available to the media between 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.

Wednesday, February 28th:

- Defensive line (edge) draft prospects will meet with the media from 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.

- Linebacker draft prospects will meet with the media from 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

- Defensive line (interior) draft prospects will meet with the media from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.

- Remaining NFL coaches and general managers who didn't meet with the media on Tuesday will meet with them on Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Thursday, February 29th:

- Defensive back (safeties) draft prospects will meet with the media from 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

- Tight End draft prospects will meet with the media from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.

- Defensive back (cornerbacks) draft prospects will meet with the media from 11 a.m. - noon

- Defensive linemen and Linebackers will go through physical testing at Lucas Oil Stadium beginning at 3 p.m on NFL Network 

Friday, March 1:

- Quarterback draft prospects and wide receiver draft prospects will meet with the media between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.

- Running back draft prospects will meet with the media from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.

- Defensive backs and Tight Ends will go through physical testing at Lucas Oil Stadium beginning at 3 p.m on NFL Network

Saturday, March 2:

- Offensive line and kicking prospects will meet with the media between 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.

- Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, and Running Backs prospects will go through physical testing at Lucas Oil Stadium beginning at 1 p.m. on NFL Network

Sunday, March 3:

- Offensive Line prospects will go through physical testing beginning at 1 p.m. on NFL Network

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Rumor is that the Browns are going on the road to start the season vs the Eagles....

Waaaay on the road... in Brazil. 

Are the NFL's New Jersey Generals still playing there?  They had an owner that threatened to put the NFL out of business about 35-40 years ago.  Today, that guy is selling gold high top sneakers as a fund raiser to help pay for his fraud charges while the NFL continues to get wealthier.  Maybe Cal can share a selfie or 2 in his new sneakers to show us how adorable they look.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Here's the schedule for the 2024 NFL Combine:

Tuesday, February 27th:

- NFL coaches and general managers will be available to the media between 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.

Wednesday, February 28th:

- Defensive line (edge) draft prospects will meet with the media from 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.

- Linebacker draft prospects will meet with the media from 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

- Defensive line (interior) draft prospects will meet with the media from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.

- Remaining NFL coaches and general managers who didn't meet with the media on Tuesday will meet with them on Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Thursday, February 29th:

- Defensive back (safeties) draft prospects will meet with the media from 9 a.m. - 10 a.m.

- Tight End draft prospects will meet with the media from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.

- Defensive back (cornerbacks) draft prospects will meet with the media from 11 a.m. - noon

- Defensive linemen and Linebackers will go through physical testing at Lucas Oil Stadium beginning at 3 p.m on NFL Network 

Friday, March 1:

- Quarterback draft prospects and wide receiver draft prospects will meet with the media between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.

- Running back draft prospects will meet with the media from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.

- Defensive backs and Tight Ends will go through physical testing at Lucas Oil Stadium beginning at 3 p.m on NFL Network

Saturday, March 2:

- Offensive line and kicking prospects will meet with the media between 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.

- Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, and Running Backs prospects will go through physical testing at Lucas Oil Stadium beginning at 1 p.m. on NFL Network

Sunday, March 3:

- Offensive Line prospects will go through physical testing beginning at 1 p.m. on NFL Network

Well done - thanks Gumbs!  This question is for anyone that wants to answer it. Who are the guys or position groups that interest you the most?  Since I usually wait for the Draft Mags to familiarize myself with the names and ranks of prospects I'll say OL, Safety, LB, WR  (and hope FA/trades help other areas - ie: Berry did a nice job with this for DL last year before drafting a couple in rounds 3 and 4).  The Combines are always a great lead into the information I see in the mags.  Online stuff looks helpful to those of you already looking into it all.  There's just some old school habits I never kick; and football mags are one of them.  Having said that, if anyone has any football/draft sites to recommend to our fans in here - that'll be greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Are the NFL's New Jersey Generals still playing there?  They had an owner that threatened to put the NFL out of business about 35-40 years ago.  Today, that guy is selling gold high top sneakers as a fund raiser to help pay for his fraud charges while the NFL continues to get wealthier.  Maybe Cal can share a selfie or 2 in his new sneakers to show us how adorable they look.

Air Treasons? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

There's just some old school habits I never kick; and football mags are one of them.  Having said that, if anyone has any football/draft sites to recommend to our fans in here - that'll be greatly appreciated!

crazy working hours. little spare time, so in short,

Waltersfootball nicely updated their site of popups. The Draft Network site, ruined it's site by non-escaping video, to not load any article or player scouting reports

paid little, web scouting ? (slim at best)

stroll to bottom here. click on player  https://steelersdepot.com/2024/02/2024-nfl-draft-scouting-report-florida-state-edge-jared-verse/

Bleacher... draft https://bleacherreport.com/nfl-draft compare player scouting https://bleacherreport.com/nfl-scouting-department-hub

trend---Players that use to fall to pick 50's,  have seemed to slide up bunching up around the 40's

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024  (so called consensus, combining several Mock slots) click team for Browns info

approaching underwear Olympics results, should have about 40 player panties going in the 1st round soon  :lol:... Later folks !  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

In my early 20's I was a huge Street&Smiths fan... I was really big on following stats and numbers back then. They had a great format with the way they put charts and info together in a concise easy to read format.. And the stories and interviews were great! Incidentally... I found this old gem in my art portofolio.. How it wound up there.. I have no clue lol!

Art the Fart.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nickers said:

In my early 20's I was a huge Street&Smiths fan... I was really big on following stats and numbers back then. They had a great format with the way they put charts and info together in a concise easy to read format.. 

Me too Nicks!  That gave me such an awesome 1st impression that I still buy football magazines today.  

• Like 1

30 years ago, at the height of SportsCenter kid-dom, I knew most players on the board and everyone drafted in the first 4-5 rounds.

Today, I couldn't name 2 or 3 players from my favorite college team in the draft.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AP1 said:

30 years ago, at the height of SportsCenter kid-dom, I knew most players on the board and everyone drafted in the first 4-5 rounds.

Today, I couldn't name 2 or 3 players from my favorite college team in the draft.

Today, I forget names of players in college and pro a lot more than I used to.  Some of that is because I'm about to turn 60; but most of it is I don't spend nearly as much time as I used on the same things.  Aside from that, I don't remember losing multiple starters in the active roster from week to week back in the 80s, 90s and even early on in the new millennium.  It used to be this is the roster and these are the situational rotation guys when the rules kept the physics safer and the injuries reduced.  Just my perception of it all fwiw.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AP1 said:

Same lol...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Today, I forget names of players in college and pro a lot more than I used to.  Some of that is because I'm about to turn 60; but most of it is I don't spend nearly as much time as I used on the same things.  Aside from that, I don't remember losing multiple starters in the active roster from week to week back in the 80s, 90s and even early on in the new millennium.  It used to be this is the roster and these are the situational rotation guys when the rules kept the physics safer and the injuries reduced.  Just my perception of it all fwiw.

You and I are crossing that same geriatric threshold.. For me these days its lack of patience and short term focus... There are just more important things to focus on in the grand scheme of things and all the things with current events going on in the world... But I can still appreciate seeing someone like Amari Cooper who give his all.. And admire for him for his hard work and dedication.. There's beauty in that... Or even a guy whose not on your football team... An anomoly like Lamar Jackson.. Who despite the team he plays on.. I can appreciate his dedication to his craft.. He's a good kid who works hard.. And isn't making any headlines off the field.

5 hours ago, AP1 said:

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Same lol...

Edgerrin Cooper  LB, McKinnley Jackson  DT and Ainias Smith  WR all in the top 2-4 rounds which is Browns territory.  LOL!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Aside from that, I don't remember losing multiple starters in the active roster from week to week back in the 80s, 90s and even early on in the new millennium.  It used to be this is the roster and these are the situational rotation guys when the rules kept the physics safer and the injuries reduced.  Just my perception of it all fwiw.

It's amazing that all the bitching and griping by the NFLPA about training camp; therefore, virtually no training camp, no contact, and the increased rules favoring player safety and teams have more contact injuries than ever.

And with all of the advancements in sports science and the increase of performance over the last 20 years and non-contact injuries seem to be higher than ever.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AP1 said:

It's amazing that all the bitching and griping by the NFLPA about training camp; therefore, virtually no training camp, no contact, and the increased rules favoring player safety and teams have more contact injuries than ever.

And with all of the advancements in sports science and the increase of performance over the last 20 years and non-contact injuries seem to be higher than ever.

It's like pitchers not playing full complete games and getting injuries all the time...Repetitions are important...

• Upvote 1

And Gibson was known as a flamethrower back in the day, often times exceeding his usual 92-95 mph fastball. Not quite Nolan Ryan 100+ mph, but he usually stayed out there longer if you don't just focus on all of Ryan's two, one and no hitters (total of 37---18,12 and 7 respectively).

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And Gibson was known as a flamethrower back in the day, often times exceeding his usual 92-95 mph fastball. Not quite Nolan Ryan 100+ mph, but he usually stayed out there longer if you don't just focus on all of Ryan's two, one and no hitters (total of 37---18,12 and 7 respectively).

Yeah but how much of any of that above would have mattered if he wasn't from Texas?   Unlike Roger Clemens, no steroids required - so there's no misremembering to play dodgeball with... 😁   

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:57 PM, Orion said:

March 11-13: Free agency opens

This, again, is our important date.  We have 2 draft picks in the top 100 (#'s 54 & 85).  Help for 2024 team improvement will need to come from Free Agency....and trades.   That's a tough way for Berry to make a living.  

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Help for 2024 team improvement will need to come from Free Agency....and trades. 

Zac Jackson, The Athletic

Berry-led Browns again figure to be focusing on adding experienced players to the roster in March and the months that follow, April’s draft is also important — even as they have to wait to join the party.

Cleveland is slated to pick at No. 54 in the second round, but in the previous two years, the Browns traded down and started their drafts in the third round. Added WR Elijah Moore over the 42nd pick value of last season & a Jets 3rd round pick.

Even if the Browns think Tillman/Bell may take a big leap. Both Cooper and Moore are in the final year of their current contracts in 2024.

A significant move for a veteran in March seems possible again (pick 54 and if cap money fits), but the Browns still should be looking to add pop to the group via a deep WR draft class.

While several Browns positions of need could also become, Combine tampering diner talks. 

ESPN Cleveland Tony Rizzo

Needless to say, that rubbed ESPN Cleveland personality Tony Rizzo the wrong way, as it would be the third time in as many years that they don’t have a pick in the first or second rounds (via ESPN Cleveland).

However, there’s a possibility that they could flip that pick for the right guy, such as, say, Mike Evans/Jerry Jeudy assuming a proven veteran becomes available.

Nonetheless, Rizzo would rather the team have some young players on rookie contracts instead of adding more veterans on big-time deals, and he might be right.

This team is built to compete right now, but championship windows could close drastically and suddenly in professional sports, especially in the NFL.

The front office has done a solid job of putting together a competitive team while still maintaining some salary-cap flexibility, and GM Andrew Berry claimed that will continue to be his approach going forward.

Pre-March Madness in Cleveland... ya got to :wub: it !

Edited by gumby73
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Orion said:

This, again, is our important date.  We have 2 draft picks in the top 100 (#'s 54 & 85).  Help for 2024 team improvement will need to come from Free Agency....and trades.   That's a tough way for Berry to make a living.  

Legit concerns.  And none of the following is aimed at you as much as it's an attempt/opportunity to explain why Berry stays in his lane (per who he is and what he offers).

Here's my blow hard, Berry's 1st round picks are Jed Wills and Greg Newsome. While Greg Newsome isn't bad, a 3rd round corner Martin Emerson ended up starting at Newsome's position as a rookie.  The reason for that is because he could do more things like press cover with a nice jam at the LOS.  That being the case, you put the guy that can't do that over the slot receiver (1st round pick Newsome).  

1st round picks are very nice for teams that are good at drafting in the 1st round; and Berry gets that.  He's been studying the NFL salary cap since elementary school according to his mother in an article I read. Then he went to Harvard and made All Conference as a DB.  Before Berry was in charge - this team had chances to draft Mahomes or Watson where the Browns could have landed either without giving up draft picks at the restricted prices within the rookie salary cap.  Problem?  Look who the coaching staff was that would have been in charge of developing the QB.  Anyone see an Andy Reid on the staff?  No, it was Hue Jackson.  There's a 70s song that says "It's sad to belong to someone else when the right one comes along" which is exactly what took place.  The Bears are doing  this to Justin Fields as we speak.  CJ Stroud was asked what he thought the Bears should do about their QB situation it was an emphatic "THEY SHOULD KEEP JUSTIN FIELDS."  They just hired the 3rd OC since he's been in Chicago.  It starts at the ownership.  When they NEVER get it - nothing will be in place to develop a top QB prospect. I'm not going to lie to you though - I really miss the fun of the Browns being in the mix to draft an immediate impact in round 1.  I have to constantly remind myself this isn't Berry's strength. In other rounds we're still drafting kickers that we're gonna cut within 2 years. Why?

IMO, Berry kicked ass last off-season. Proven guys added vrs attempts to try to develop unproven guys instead.  That was a big part of his resembling David Copperfield with the magic.  Before all that, I couldn't have been more skeptical about blowing off the IDL/DT positions in 2022.  I wasn't at all confident he'd pull off what he did here in 2023. I was wrong...

Well, we're smack dab in the middle of the Scouting Combine for the NFL Draft.  And 10 days away from the start of the Free Agency process.  It's what we can accomplish in FA that defines our goals in the draft.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2024 at 12:05 PM, nickers said:

In my early 20's I was a huge Street&Smiths fan... I was really big on following stats and numbers back then. They had a great format with the way they put charts and info together in a concise easy to read format.. And the stories and interviews were great! Incidentally... I found this old gem in my art portofolio.. How it wound up there.. I have no clue lol!

Art the Fart.jpg

What a lovely image ..... I just had to have it for my stash !

I also loved the  last line  ....  but the city is fighting back .

● Where you ask ?  How about the browns board  for just one place. :lol:

On 2/25/2024 at 8:35 AM, Flugel said:

I'm not going to lie to you though - I really miss the fun of the Browns being in the mix to draft an immediate impact in round 1.  NOOOOOOOOOOO

IMO, Berry kicked ass last off-season. 

Yikes lol. You really don't!

I don't miss it at all. Here are some  reasons....

50,000 Steeler fans in the stands because Browns fans sold their seats.

Continuous 5-11 seasons, followed by 4-40-1

Continuous "draft" speculation here instead of possible playoff talk as early as October.

Ray Farmer. Johnny Manziel.

Shoot, I got a headache, gotta go......😬

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Yikes lol. You really don't!

I don't miss it at all. Here are some  reasons....

50,000 Steeler fans in the stands because Browns fans sold their seats.

Continuous 5-11 seasons, followed by 4-40-1

Continuous "draft" speculation here instead of possible playoff talk as early as October.

Ray Farmer. Johnny Manziel.

Shoot, I got a headache, gotta go......😬

🤣  Thanks for the reply Bob!   

• Haha 1