THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns (not) cutting Chubb

Korsou Dawg

So many reports in the media on whether or not Chubb is getting cut. How is this even a narrative? There would be riots all the way from downtown Cleveland to Berea.

Sure, the cap is a bit tight, but cap-magic is Berry's specialty. There simply is no good reason.

Seeing what these Browns can do WITH Chubb on the field, is what I am looking forward to most! Wild guess says that goes for many more! 

47 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

So many reports in the media on whether or not Chubb is getting cut. How is this even a narrative? There would be riots all the way from downtown Cleveland to Berea.

Sure, the cap is a bit tight, but cap-magic is Berry's specialty. There simply is no good reason.

Seeing what these Browns can do WITH Chubb on the field, is what I am looking forward to most! Wild guess says that goes for many more! 

They would only medically retire him would be my bet if he just doesn't recover well enough to play again.

57 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

How is this even a narrative? 

What do you think drives clicks for advertising?   It's the off-season.  And, despite the fact that there is plenty of actual good football material to be unpacked and shown to fans from the course of the 2023 season; we instead focus on the lazy, the inflammatory and intrusive.    Sports media is tabloid media. 

11 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Don't waste another second of your time on this KD.  Won't happen.  That said, they'll probably move some money around in his contract if that's doable. 

I'm more worried about Pittsburgh ending up with Justin Fields so Chicago can draft themselves a much lesser QB. All Chicago needs to do is draft Marvin Harrison and offensive linemen.  They'll screw that up though by trading back for a bigger volume of nobodies.  They already gave the Ratbirds Roquan Smith in 2022.  It wasn't like they got better after parting with Kahlil Mack either.  If they so much as move back a couple spots - someone like Houston will move up to reunite Harrison with CJ Stroud.  Harrison is 6'4" with long arms, great hands and ideal speed.  He's a bigger, faster, stronger version of his dad who was a HOF WR.

Anyway, is there a QB in THIS draft better than this below and the 2019 in particular?  41 TDs to 3 INTs in the passing game aside from what he can do with his feet. 

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Overall         423 618 68.4 5701 9.2 10.7 67 9 178.8
  Georgia         27 39 69.2 328 8.4 10.5 4 0 173.7
  Ohio State         396 579 68.4 5373 9.3 10.8 63 9 179.1
*2018 Georgia SEC FR QB 12 27 39 69.2 328 8.4 10.5 4 0 173.7
*2019 Ohio State Big Ten SO QB 14 238 354 67.2 3273 9.2 11.2 41 3 181.4
*2020 Ohio State Big Ten JR QB 8 158 225 70.2 2100 9.3 10.1 22 6 175.6
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They would only medically retire him would be my bet if he just doesn't recover well enough to play again.

That guy is such a warrior he would try to play on a pogo stick if he had to. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

That guy is such a warrior he would try to play on a pogo stick if he had to. 

Agreed!

23 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

What do you think drives clicks for advertising?   It's the off-season.  And, despite the fact that there is plenty of actual good football material to be unpacked and shown to fans from the course of the 2023 season; we instead focus on the lazy, the inflammatory and intrusive.    Sports media is tabloid media. 

Yeah I (should) know. I suppose I have trouble finding the good football stuff, especially this time of year. Then ending up with in the content sewer. Any sites you could suggest for good stuff?

Also looking to improve my knowledge of the game in general, and to be able to decipher your posts in your 'Professor Tia' topic. As we stand, I could be convinced those are written in Chinese, cleverly disguised as English. Found the below, but would welcome any other suggestions.

@Flugel would be much more worried about the Houston scenario you mentioned. They already have Stroud, a good core around him, and picks to spend. Add the 'QB's wet dream receiver' that is Harrison to that mix, and you have got yourself the makings of a dynasty, right in our AFC. Me no likey.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

@Flugel would be much more worried about the Houston scenario you mentioned. They already have Stroud, a good core around him, and picks to spend. Add the 'QB's wet dream receiver' that is Harrison to that mix, and you have got yourself the makings of a dynasty, right in our AFC. Me no likey.

Yeah, I mentioned the reunite because Harrison and Stroud already had an unstoppable chemistry that even Georgia couldn't stop. When he was in that game - Georgia had no solutions.  Ohio State was ahead of Georgia 21-7 midway through the 2nd quarter (with Harrison's 2 TDs within his 5 receptions for 106 yards) before he left the game with a concussion in that 2nd quarter.  The projections for him that day were scary just like reuniting Harrison and Stroud would be in the AFC South.  We're talking 10 receptions for 212 yards and 4 TDs.

As I said, there isn't a QB in this draft capable of a TD:INT ratio of 41-3 that Fields accomplished as a Soph at OSU.  They have a choice of giving him a tandem of Marvin Harrison and DJ Moore or trading Fields and using their 1st pick to draft a 3rd consecutive QB that won't have a chance to succeed with the FO thinking. When that unfolds, guess what happens to the coaches that were training the new QB?  They get fired so the new QB has to forget everything he just learned in that system for the next system.  Why do all that?  Draft Harrison to team up DJ Moore and go get some OL that can freakin pass protect.  

Does all that sound like I'm worried about Chicago trading Fields to Pittsburgh for the NFL version of a Walmart Cola and a bag of stale potato chips.  If Caleb Williams was the missing X-factor - does USC lose 5 games this year?  Not only that but when he didn't play in the Bowl Game - the QB that did play threw 6 TD passes leading USC to victory.  

I love Chubb as much as the next guy, it all comes down to how healthy he is and if he can help our team. I never seen anybody get as many severe knee injuries that he's had and come back and be the same player. I WANT him to be healthy and be able to contribute like he did. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see. Sometimes you gotta do what's best for the team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:01 AM, Korsou Dawg said:

Any sites you could suggest for good stuff?

Not yet, but I'll look around and vet some things for you. 

On 2/24/2024 at 7:01 AM, Korsou Dawg said:

Also looking to improve my knowledge of the game in general, and to be able to decipher your posts in your 'Professor Tia' topic. As we stand, I could be convinced those are written in Chinese

There's a reason it's called a 'language', my guy.  Because that's what it is.  You learn either by studying or immersion.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Not yet, but I'll look around and vet some things for you. 

There's a reason it's called a 'language', my guy.  Because that's what it is.  You learn either by studying or immersion.  

Why do I get the feeling tia is about to take Korsou Dog down to the River Jordan and baptize him (in football knowledge) the old fashion way. 😁

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:34 AM, tiamat63 said:

No argument there. Though, even in the same language, the same name may have different meanings. Mike and Sam for example, sounds like that nice gay couple from down the road. Is it Mike who bakes?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Neo said:

Speaking of Nick Chubb, does anyone know how he's coming along with his recovery? There hasn't been very much said about him.

this was the last I heard  from him.I would like to think that Nick  was thinking of fitzpatrick

4 hours ago, Neo said:

Speaking of Nick Chubb, does anyone know how he's coming along with his recovery? There hasn't been very much said about him.

won't be much...NFLPA hammers HIPAA privacy rules on players.. Nick Chubb himself/agent, shouldn't release his medical info

Sadly, Most roster projections have Nick listed as going on reserve/PUP list to start the 2024 season. If so, Player must miss first 4 games of season at minimum.

Nick's injury report has been confirmed by everyone but Nick Chubb's medical staff. have read Multiple Reads like...

Chubb underwent surgery on Sept. 29 to repair his medial collaterial ligament, meniscus and medial capsule, the team confirmed Sept. 30 in a statement. Chubb also had a second surgery on Nov. 14th to repair his anterior cruciate ligament, the Browns said.

(MCL & ACL) and some still think full dislocation of left knee? (NFL/media former team Dr. Chao of Chargers)

No timeline, but Browns "on track" has been determined for his return. The Browns said early estimated recovery times suggest Chubb will be able to play "at some point" next season. (wonder where our bye week falls?)

🦇  💪   Good luck, 2-4 !

edit-- today's Dawand Jones injury update https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-dawand-jones-229034010/#2390776

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:53 PM, gumby73 said:

won't be much...NFLPA hammers HIPAA privacy rules on players.. Nick Chubb himself/agent, shouldn't release his medical info

Sadly, Most roster projections have Nick listed as going on reserve/PUP list to start the 2024 season. If so, Player must miss first 4 games of season at minimum.

Nick's injury report has been confirmed by everyone but Nick Chubb's medical staff. have read Multiple Reads like...

Chubb underwent surgery on Sept. 29 to repair his medial collaterial ligament, meniscus and medial capsule, the team confirmed Sept. 30 in a statement. Chubb also had a second surgery on Nov. 14th to repair his anterior cruciate ligament, the Browns said.

(MCL & ACL) and some still think full dislocation of left knee? (NFL/media former team Dr. Chao of Chargers)

No timeline, but Browns "on track" has been determined for his return. The Browns said early estimated recovery times suggest Chubb will be able to play "at some point" next season. (wonder where our bye week falls?)

🦇  💪   Good luck, 2-4 !

edit-- today's Dawand Jones injury update https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-dawand-jones-229034010/#2390776

Good to see Stefanski enthusiastic about the expectation for Jones, Conklin and Wills being ready to compete for starting jobs at the start of training camp.  Great news!

That dudn't mean this team won't have an eye on OL prospects that have played both OT and OG given our situation.  K-State's Cooper Beebe has played LT, RT, LG, and RG so whoever does their diligence researching OL prospects may land this gem.  The 1 hurdle this 6-3 322 pound trench warrior would have to clear for consideration at LT would be his arm length of 31 1/2" (in comparison our RT Dawand Jones has an arm length of 36 3/8" and LT Jed Wills has an arm length of 34 1/4"). His lateral movement gets mentioned by some (not all) with me thinking a lot of this is when you play OT there's a lot of space on 1 side of you.  At OG, there's limited space on both sides of you - making your pass pro assignment easier. When you move from 1 spot to the other - there's a little curve for getting acclimated/reacclimated). 1 thing that never gets mentioned is the importance of a consistent pre-snap stance that sets up your leverage/success from the hips down (your base).   Wills has remained very inconsistent with getting into an ideal pre-snap stance despite having a great OL Coach like Callahan. This is why I've questioned how hard he's worked at things at times.  From my limited observation, Beebe seems pretty consistent with a stance that sets up his success.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bob806 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nick-chubb-agrees-lower-salary-122837423.html

Great news....Browns & Chubb sign a deal, although it's only a 1 year deal. Reduced salary with incentives.

Hopefully he can return to form & stay longer. 

He's at the age where rb's start losing a step. Plus he's coming off a major injury. I'm hoping he can return to form. I'm still pissed that the injury happened at all.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2024 at 7:17 PM, Neo said:

He's at the age where rb's start losing a step. Plus he's coming off a major injury. I'm hoping he can return to form. I'm still pissed that the injury happened at all.

We all feel the same.. Would've loved to have seen what Flacco could've been like with that kind of asset protecting him... Now that's just a dream flown bye... I just hope Chubb can run at all.. 🙏

• 2 weeks later...

Man do I like Nick Chubb and not just the dude under the orange clothing, but the man himself.

As a 56yr old who has had many injuries and subsequent surgeries in my younger years as a motocross racer and now lives with the consequences on a daily basis, I hope the current Nick thinks a lot more about the future Nick because he is going to pay for it, like it or not.

While I selfishly want to see him back on the field, I really hope he has someone in his corner preaching about the big picture and what really matters in this life and football ain't it.

• Upvote 1