THE BROWNS BOARD

Salary Cap 2024 - thread for changing the subject

7 hours ago, AP1 said:

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know the answer. I've never been in a position where 51 guys count against the salary cap and 25% of that cap is stacked against one player. 

It's the way of the NFL and is to be expected. I understand. I just have a hard time believing that guys on the roster don't get cynical about QB pay and the albatross it puts around the necks of these organizations. 

Tom Brady was an exception. He played for a discount so that the Patriots could bolster their roster. The rings speak for themselves. 

It probably been that way for so long that players don't really care.  They know that going in.

I am sure we could find a few examples to differ, but for the most part the QB has been the highest paid player on the team since when?  The 70"s?  80's?  At least the top type QB's.  Not a rookie or some guy signed to a 1-2 year deal.

I will agree there are times where QB's get top money but don't produce top results.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I do...................ahem, in a manly type guy way that is.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  :)   

He reminds me of my youth.  Watching Gary Collins flip the ball to the official after catching those slant or post pattern TD's.  Chubb is a throwback.  He's a gem.  I hope he heals up well and is able to continue to play at a high level.  But there is no guarantee of that...

Edgerrin James led the NFL in rushing in 1999 and 2000. He tore his ACL in 2001. He was 11 yards shy of 1,000 yards in 2002, and would surpass 1,000 yards from 2003-2007.

Adrian Peterson rushed for over 2,000 yards and was League MVP after his ACL surgery. Jamal Lewis put up a season of comparable statistics after an ACL tear and Jamaal Charles rushed for over 1,500 yards after tearing his ACL. Dalvin Cook has had four 1,000 yard seasons since tearing his ACL. Saquon Barkley has had one 1,000 yard season and over 950 yards last year since coming back from his ACL tear in 2021.

Every athlete and circumstance is different. Nothing is guaranteed, but if anyone can defy expectations, it's Nick Chubb. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:00 PM, AP1 said:

Deshaun Watson appears apathetic about Cleveland and the Browns and Nick Chubb seems the opposite. Maybe I'm wrong a out Watson, I'd love to be wrong about him.

I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

I respectfully question, if not outright dismiss your amateur phycology. Whenever I see Watson on the field, he seems one of the most psyched up players on the field. He gets excited to the point of being gitty. Look up when he got mike'd up for that snow game. And look at the way he celebrates with his teammates. You can't fake that. He looks to be very well liked. If he was only in it for himself, his teammates would be the first to sniff that out.  

The problem is almost the exact opposite: Watson started well last season, but was so eager to win games, he took unnecessary risks. Rushing head first, instead of sliding. Taking hits, instead of avoiding them. That got him banged up before he started in Baltimore, and out for the season after. As great as that comeback was, he sacrificed our season to do so.

If we are going to get any value from his trade, the staff needs to tone down his excitement on the field. They need to get him to play smarter, not harder, and avoid injuries. With both him and Chubb on the field, in addition to our D, the potential for a deep play-off run is there. Emphasis on: "on the field."

And I am convinced Chubb, who is hands down my favorite Brown, would play just as hard for any other team. Maybe even harder for his home state Falcons. 

We can amicably disagree about Watson's modus operandi.

We all want him to be the best teammate and player and most in-tuned player on the field because he plays the most important position in all of sports for OUR FAVORITE TEAM.

Players have never had a better opportunity to make money, whether it's on the field or off the field. Unfortunately, Watson's past, whether he is innocent of charges or not, will make it more difficult to earn off the field. Perception becomes reality for many. And many do not forget and they certainly do not forgive. 

Maybe Watson has approached the organization and offered to restructure and we just don't know about it. 

I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

20 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

I believe you are absolutely correct. Chubb would play hard for any team. 

I hope to never see him in anything but Orange and Brown.

6 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

The only thing wrong with any of that KD is you don't have my speelchekkar that reads maid in Pitsberg. 

Anyway, do you know how Clemson won a National Championship over the favored Alabama team that stockpiled the NFL draft with starters?   Deshaun Watson. The same guy that shredded Ohio State the week before. If that looked like a player not interested in what he was doing - I'll be happy to watch some clips of it with whoever thinks he doesn't want to win for a team that employs him.  In fact, when it was apparent Houston was not interested in winning - that's when Watson wanted out for someone that did.  

As for Chubb, the only team in the draft that showed him they wanted him real bad was the one that drafted him.  Nothing says welcome home quite like that; and he's returned the favor ever since.  FWIW, he doesn't waste a lot of time and energy with rah rah stuff.  Instead, he puts all of that into his efforts to beat the opponent.  More specifically, his pads do his talking.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AP1 said:

I am pretty confident about one thing. In just four years, the NFL has jumped from $30M/year QBs to $60M/yr QBs. There's only one Lombardi Trophy to win each season. Most of these guys are going to retire without ever touching that trophy that, in hindsight, would  give millions in cap space to help bring in necessary pieces to win a SB and be immortalized as a SB Champion.

Watson's deal pays him $46 mill a year.

If there are now $60 mill a year QBs, according to you, what exactly are you continually complaining about? 

And if he restructures his contract AGAIN, are you coming back here to praise it?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AP1 said:

We can amicably disagree about Watson's modus operandi.

We all want him to be the best teammate and player and most in-tuned player on the field because he plays the most important position in all of sports for OUR FAVORITE TEAM.

Players have never had a better opportunity to make money, whether it's on the field or off the field. Unfortunately, Watson's past, whether he is innocent of charges or not, will make it more difficult to earn off the field. Perception becomes reality for many. And many do not forget and they certainly do not forgive. 

Maybe Watson has approached the organization and offered to restructure and we just don't know about it. 

I enjoy your daily contributions AP; but can we move on in here from the Watson stuff for a little while?  I say that because we've beat it into oblivion before you arrived; and now we're hi-jacking subject headings dwelling on him again.  You've done a good job making your points as have others replying to them. 

Ward just gave Berry permission to move a significant amount of money as I suspect others will soon follow.  That's not a pay cut - it's a deferred payment.  An oft-injured vet like Conklin may step up and do the same.  There's some others players that can do this as well.  This is all the stuff that Berry likes to do.  Let's see what happens between now and the start of free-agency kicking off. 

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Watson's deal pays him $46 mill a year.

If there are now $60 mill a year QBs, according to you, what exactly are you continually complaining about? 

And if he restructures his contract AGAIN, are you coming back here to praise it?

Complaining is relative and solves little. I think about this stuff and have an opinion no more or less than the rest of you. We all want the same thing.

I'll be in favor of and show appreciation for any moves that put the Browns in a better position to win. Teams (and fanbases) that finish at the top, I would imagine, have very few regrets. I don't know because I've never been in that position.

No doubt, there are plenty of shoulda, coulda, woulda and wishes amongst the 31 other teams that don't win the SB.

As the face of the franchise, QBs should be willing to do whatever it takes, as many times as needed to put their franchise in the best position to win the Super Bowl.

Just now, Flugel said:

I enjoy your daily contributions AP; but can we move on in here from the Watson stuff for a little while?  I say that because we've beat it into oblivion before you arrived; and now we're hi-jacking subject headings dwelling on him again.  You've done a good job making your points as have others replying to them. 

Ward just gave Berry permission to move a significant amount of money as I suspect others will soon follow.  That's not a pay cut - it's a deferred payment.  An oft-injured vet like Conklin may step up and do the same.  There's some others players that can do this as well.  This is all the stuff that Berry likes to do.  Let's see what happens between now and the start of free-agency kicking off. 

No intentions of wearing anyone out. I'm answering questions that are being asked specifically to me.

I commended Ward for his move yesterday and look forward to anything that puts the Browns in the best position to win. 

1 minute ago, AP1 said:

No intentions of wearing anyone out. I'm answering questions that are being asked specifically to me.

I commended Ward for his move yesterday and look forward to anything that puts the Browns in the best position to win. 

Cool!  Let's give it a rest then until free agency starts on March 13th (only 2 weeks away).  As I said, you add a lot of good stuff.  When I read you talking about Watson - you're only looking for negative things so this is why some fans are questioning you.  Trust me when I tell you our board already beat this dead horse.  Now, we've unburied it to beat it again?  Why?  

I also brought up Ward because I feel like it will be the starting point for others to follow (allowing Berry to get their payments deferred so the Browns can break out the credit card for 2024 free agency).  Let's see what happens...

• Unsympathetic changed the title to Salary Cap 2024 - thread for changing the subject