THE BROWNS BOARD

Thought This Might Be an Interesting Re-visit of Who's #1? 1/3/2018

Flugel

• FlugelGrand Master
  • REGISTERED

The QB Class of this draft - like many drafts, every prospect has areas of concern. I'm not in any hurry to crown 1 guy King just yet.  It's okay to like more than 1 guy at this time.

I began the year entrenched in Sam Darnold after his Rose Bowl performance vrs Penn State and a TD:INT ratio of 31:9 during his Freshman season.That showed me a guy that could win his Conference and beat the Big 10 Champion right after doing so.   Unfortunately 2017 unfolded many imperfections I was unaware of like his inability to learn how to protect/secure the ball in the pocket via a volume of fumbles resembling that of Kizer.  His TD:INT ratio also took a big hit dropping to 26:13 even though he led his team to a 2nd consecutive Pac 12 Title.  It looked like he improved upon some of his carelessness for a while until he played Ohio State's NFL caliber pass rush he wanted no part of.  He did make some beautiful throws and ran for some first downs; but most viewers remember his bad decisions and his fumbling against the closest NFL barometer he played. Too much Darnold Duck. My goofy take?   He doesn't need to go back to the best program in the Pac 12 to solve his fumbling issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Hue did a very good job with his inexperienced QB at protecting the football...  So, is he the right guy for our current situation (inclusive of my biggest disappointment Hue)?  I really don't know; but I encourage anyone to put the tape of him against Penn State from a year ago.  My football wood factor went from balsa to sequoia. If he does come out - I know what he's capable of if we ever get better at this drafting thing...

Baker Mayfield.  Fun to watch the last 2-3 years. He beat Ohio State's team in Columbus, which isn't easy.  The TD:INT ratio of 41:5 heading into the BCS game was about as good of a season as he can have.  A big question he'll have to answer just like other guys with similar frames had to such as: Drew Brees, Warren Moon, Joe Theisman, and even Jeff Garcia had to answer - is how soon can he get it if ever?    None of those guys were immediate before frequent participation in NFL post seasons and Pro Bowls. SD drafted a QB first overall the off season prior to Brees' 4th NFL year.  They traded Eli to NY for Rivers (after drafting Eli 1st overall), who held out the length of training camp - and Brees made his first Pro Bowl with a 12-4 record in his 4th NFL season. The 3 other guys I mentioned had to begin their careers in the CFL.  I've heard commentators compare him to Russell Wilson but I don't think he'll be nearly as elusive at the next level as Russell is behind a suspect line.   Russell Wilson, who is even shorter than Brees, Moon, Theisman and Garcia - got it quicker than all of them.  This guy had to walk on to 2 different D-I programs before he got to beat all those programs saving their scholarships for players of less significance.  Another guy that was only about 6' tall (Brian Sipe) was told he didn't have the arm strength to make it in this league.  He's the only League MVP I've seen at our QB position in my life as a fan with a 3 year stretch of averaging more than 4000 yards passing in an era that was unheard of.  I wouldn't hate this pick at all.  He may be my favorite candidate before we draft.

Josh Rosen.  He's got a 3 year body of work with impressive stats.  I've seen UCLA play 4 times this year. He only finished 2 of his 3 starts in those and they lost em both to Memphis and USC.  He got hurt in the first half vrs Cal (with a bruised back) and they won. Then I saw some of their Bowl Game vrs KSU that he couldn't suit up for (due to another injury) and they lost.  He's also had multiple concussions.  Durability issues + our situation already has me reading in silly season that he hopes the Giants draft him and Dorsey isn't interested.  Stay tuned...

Josh Allen. Earlier in the year he struggled against opponents he probably needed to play better if he's to show bad NFL teams he's the right guy for their situation.  In their loss 24-3 loss to Iowa he went 23-40 for 174 yds with 0 TD 2 INTs.  In their 49-13 loss to Oregon, he completed 9 of 24 for 64 yds with 0 TD to 1 INT. In their 24-14 loss to Boise State he completed only 12 of 27 passes for 131 yds 1 TD and 2 INTs. Prior to the 1 game I did watch him play and look terrific, he had a TD:INT ratio of 13:6 in his final season at Wyoming.  I've heard Todd McShay say he doesn't think it's nearly as easy for programs like Wyoming to re-stock their skill/play-maker positions as the elite big time programs, which impacted Allen's 2017 performance. All that said, he looked very good vrs Central Michigan going 11-19 for 154 yds and 3 TDs with 0 INTs.  Very strong arm displayed on his first TD pass of the game with an accurate rope.  He looks mobile and throws an accurate ball on the run at least in that game.  I like his height too.  When he faced more talented teams in 2017, did he ever escalate the play of his teammates to have a shot at beating any of them in the 4th quarter?  That may not be a fair question but what's fair about taking snaps in Cleveland folks?

Mason Rudolph.  Great numbers, great career, strong arm, ideal frame as Oklahoma State won 10 games in each of his last 3 seasons.  Gipper already pronounces his name Muh son because he loves the kid like a son.  He's been pretty fun to watch over the years.  I wouldn't mind this pick either.

Lamar Jackson. I forgot to include him so I'll edit him into this discussion.  Had a similar TD:INT ratio to that of Sam Darnold in 2016 with 30 TD to 9 INT.  Scouts like his arm strength. Has decent height 6'3".   He can scramble as we've seen but this makes his risk of survival risky at best.   I read 1 scout said he's more raw than Patrick Mahomes coming out of Texas Tech a year ago.   He wouldn't be my choice at #1 overall; but I've been wrong before.

Looking forward to watching this all shake out.

• Flugel changed the title to Thought This Might Be an Interesting Re-visit of Who's #1? 1/3/2018
14 minutes ago, Flugel said:
  • FlugelGrand Master
  • REGISTERED

The QB Class of this draft - like many drafts, every prospect has areas of concern. I'm not in any hurry to crown 1 guy King just yet.  It's okay to like more than 1 guy at this time.

I began the year entrenched in Sam Darnold after his Rose Bowl performance vrs Penn State and a TD:INT ratio of 31:9 during his Freshman season.That showed me a guy that could win his Conference and beat the Big 10 Champion right after doing so.   Unfortunately 2017 unfolded many imperfections I was unaware of like his inability to learn how to protect/secure the ball in the pocket via a volume of fumbles resembling that of Kizer.  His TD:INT ratio also took a big hit dropping to 26:13 even though he led his team to a 2nd consecutive Pac 12 Title.  It looked like he improved upon some of his carelessness for a while until he played Ohio State's NFL caliber pass rush he wanted no part of.  He did make some beautiful throws and ran for some first downs; but most viewers remember his bad decisions and his fumbling against the closest NFL barometer he played. Too much Darnold Duck. My goofy take?   He doesn't need to go back to the best program in the Pac 12 to solve his fumbling issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Hue did a very good job with his inexperienced QB at protecting the football...  So, is he the right guy for our current situation (inclusive of my biggest disappo

intment Hue)?  I really don't know; but I encourage anyone to put the tape of him against Penn State from a year ago.  My football wood factor went from balsa to sequoia. If he does come out - I know what he's capable of if we ever get better at this drafting thing...

Baker Mayfield.  Fun to watch the last 2-3 years. He beat Ohio State's team in Columbus, which isn't easy.  The TD:INT ratio of 41:5 heading into the BCS game was about as good of a season as he can have.  A big question he'll have to answer just like other guys with similar frames had to such as: Drew Brees, Warren Moon, Joe Theisman, and even Jeff Garcia had to answer - is how soon can he get it if ever?    None of those guys were immediate before frequent participation in NFL post seasons and Pro Bowls. SD drafted a QB first overall the off season prior to Brees' 4th NFL year.  They traded Eli to NY for Rivers (after drafting Eli 1st overall), who held out the length of training camp - and Brees made his first Pro Bowl with a 12-4 record in his 4th NFL season. The 3 other guys I mentioned had to begin their careers in the CFL.  I've heard commentators compare him to Russell Wilson but I don't think he'll be nearly as elusive at the next level as Russell is behind a suspect line.   Russell Wilson, who is even shorter than Brees, Moon, Theisman and Garcia - got it quicker than all of them.  This guy had to walk on to 2 different D-I programs before he got to beat all those programs saving their scholarships for players of less significance.  Another guy that was only about 6' tall (Brian Sipe) was told he didn't have the arm strength to make it in this league.  He's the only League MVP I've seen at our QB position in my life as a fan with a 3 year stretch of averaging more than 4000 yards passing in an era that was unheard of.  I wouldn't hate this pick at all.  He may be my favorite candidate before we draft.

Josh Rosen.  He's got a 3 year body of work with impressive stats.  I've seen UCLA play 4 times this year. He only finished 2 of his 3 starts in those and they lost em both to Memphis and USC.  He got hurt in the first half vrs Cal (with a bruised back) and they won. Then I saw some of their Bowl Game vrs KSU that he couldn't suit up for (due to another injury) and they lost.  He's also had multiple concussions.  Durability issues + our situation already has me reading in silly season that he hopes the Giants draft him and Dorsey isn't interested.  Stay tuned...

Josh Allen. Earlier in the year he struggled against opponents he probably needed to play better if he's to show bad NFL teams he's the right guy for their situation.  In their loss 24-3 loss to Iowa he went 23-40 for 174 yds with 0 TD 2 INTs.  In their 49-13 loss to Oregon, he completed 9 of 24 for 64 yds with 0 TD to 1 INT. In their 24-14 loss to Boise State he completed only 12 of 27 passes for 131 yds 1 TD and 2 INTs. Prior to the 1 game I did watch him play and look terrific, he had a TD:INT ratio of 13:6 in his final season at Wyoming.  I've heard Todd McShay say he doesn't think it's nearly as easy for programs like Wyoming to re-stock their skill/play-maker positions as the elite big time programs, which impacted Allen's 2017 performance. All that said, he looked very good vrs Central Michigan going 11-19 for 154 yds and 3 TDs with 0 INTs.  Very strong arm displayed on his first TD pass of the game with an accurate rope.  He looks mobile and throws an accurate ball on the run at least in that game.  I like his height too.  When he faced more talented teams in 2017, did he ever escalate the play of his teammates to have a shot at beating any of them in the 4th quarter?  That may not be a fair question but what's fair about taking snaps in Cleveland folks?

Mason Rudolph.  Great numbers, great career, strong arm, ideal frame as Oklahoma State won 10 games in each of his last 3 seasons.  Gipper already pronounces his name Muh son because he loves the kid like a son.  He's been pretty fun to watch over the years.  I wouldn't mind this pick either.

Lamar Jackson. I forgot to include him so I'll edit him into this discussion.  Had a similar TD:INT ratio to that of Sam Darnold in 2016 with 30 TD to 9 INT.  Scouts like his arm strength. Has decent height 6'3".   He can scramble as we've seen but this makes his risk of survival risky at best.   I read 1 scout said he's more raw than Patrick Mahomes coming out of Texas Tech a year ago.   He wouldn't be my choice at #1 overall; but I've been wrong before.

Looking forward to watching this all shake out.

Folks, you can archive this thread I started - you have the date of the 1st post.  You can also see Cal getting very disrespectful to a very well respected guy on our football board Tour.  Anyway, it's pretty clear what QB Cal only had eyes for - and it wasn't Baker!  Understanding he never wants to be wrong - guess how long he rooted for Josh Allen to outperform Baker?  All the way until Baker parted ways with Cleveland....  If anyone wants to find out how to archive old threads, drop me a pm...

• Haha 1