THE BROWNS BOARD

DESHAUN WATSON

Vambo

Browns QB Deshaun Watson 'very confident' he'll be ready for Week 1 after season-ending shoulder surgery

Browns QB Deshaun Watson 'very confident' he'll be ready for Week 1 after season-ending shoulder surgery - CBSSports.com

Deshaun Watson doesn't plan on missing any time this upcoming season. The Cleveland Browns quarterback proclaimed on Thursday that he will be ready to play when his team kicks things off in Week 1 of the 2024 campaign, via Cleveland.com. 

Watson has been working his way back from shoulder surgery, which he underwent following the Browns' Week 10 win over the Ravens last season. Watson went 5-1 as Cleveland's starter in 2023 before suffering the season-ending injury. 

"I'm very confident in the roles of the doctors," Watson said when asked about his chances of achieving his Week 1 target date. "Following their lead. And just my work and my preparation. I've put my whole life into this. I want to make sure I come back even better than before." 

A three-time Pro Bowler with the Texans, Watson has yet to live up to the massive contract he signed with the Browns after being traded from Houston to Cleveland in 2022. While he has an 8-4 record as Cleveland's starter, Watson has completed less than 60% of his pass attempts in a Browns uniform. He's also thrown just 14 touchdowns against just nine picks in those 12games.

Watson did have arguably his greatest moment in a Browns uniform during his most recent start. Despite playing with a badly injured shoulder (that ultimately led to his season-ending surgery), Watson completed each of his 14 pass attempts in the second half while leading Cleveland to a come-from-behind 33-31 win over Baltimore. 

image.png.de82cad5b713d95af8a11a43b93da766.png

TodayThe Deshaun Watson trade has been disastrous for the Browns since they traded for him in 2022. Missed games, injuries and inconsistent production plagued Watson's tenure in Cleveland.

• 2 weeks later...

So when will he be ready to go? Well, that depends, as Watson explained (quotes via a team-provided transcript😞

“I mean, the plan is to come back whenever they feel like, and I feel like we’re on the same page, that we’re ready. So there’s not a timeline or a date that we have that this is when I’m going to be 100 percent. It’s just kind of how the process goes … It can be sooner than later, it can be later than sooner. I think it just really depends on how each landmark we hit and how fast we can get it and how my shoulder is reacting.”

For those keeping score at home, “they” is referring to the Browns training staff, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the Los Angeles-based surgeon who operated on Watson, and Watson’s group, which includes his quarterback coach Quincy Avery.

---------  

Clear as mud...

46 minutes ago, Orion said:

So when will he be ready to go? Well, that depends, as Watson explained (quotes via a team-provided transcript😞

“I mean, the plan is to come back whenever they feel like, and I feel like we’re on the same page, that we’re ready. So there’s not a timeline or a date that we have that this is when I’m going to be 100 percent. It’s just kind of how the process goes … It can be sooner than later, it can be later than sooner. I think it just really depends on how each landmark we hit and how fast we can get it and how my shoulder is reacting.”

For those keeping score at home, “they” is referring to the Browns training staff, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the Los Angeles-based surgeon who operated on Watson, and Watson’s group, which includes his quarterback coach Quincy Avery.

---------  

Clear as mud...

They simply don't know, and don't want to put a date on things (the media will over blow it if the date comes after the fact). 

No need to draw any conclusions, but it certainly looks like he may not be ready at training camp. No QB has had this kind of surgery before.

53 minutes ago, Orion said:

---------  

Clear as mud...

I know there were rumors floating around about possibly moving DTR, I think it's a mistake. He's a good kid, he has the tools to be successful, and he's won games for us against hated rivals. With Watson's shoulder situation, we need a young QB to develop for the future as insurance for Watson. I know there are people who don't have faith in DTR but I do. I think if he bulks up and they can continue to bring him along, he will be fine.

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

but it certainly looks like he may not be ready at training camp.

Since he has some time, perhaps he should hit the books and draw up some more QB run plays for himself.  You know, one's where he takes on tacklers and stuff...to show his love for the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2