THE BROWNS BOARD

Staying Put (and Outdoors) or Dome Sweet Dome in the 'Burbs?

So it appears that the Browns, whose lease at Cleveland Browns Stadium ends after the 2028 season, have two options for their future:

1. For roughly a billion dollars, they stay at CBS. What a billion dollars would do for the stadium is unknown, but what it would not do is put a roof on it.

2. For roughly two billion dollars, they build a dome in Brookpark. An indoor stadium outside the city, I imagine surrounded by a "ballpark village". 

So, what say you, Fuzzybritches? (Bonus points for first person to guess what movie that line is from)

8 minutes ago, syd said:

well 2028 is not that far off. So if they are going the dome route they had better break ground quickly.

I'm sure they could get an extension, but it does appear that things one way or another are starting to happen. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, Fuzzybritches was Rachael Welch.

I have seen that movie well over a dozen times and it remains as one of my all time favorites and I'm not being obtuse either. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Get with the times and build a dome, or at least a retractable roof. Something like Arizona where they have a natural grass field that moves. 

I think a $2 billion dome might be wishful thinking from the Haslams, even if I totally understand fiscally why that makes long-term sense. 

A retractable dome might be a complete pipedream then. 

I think that more players would be happier to come to Cleveland if they knew that they wouldn't have to be playing outside in the $hitty Cleveland winter-type weather.  

Does Cleveland ever want to host a super bowl?   Without a dome they aren't getting one.  (Cleveland is NOT New York)

And just think, if / when the team gets really bad again, you'll be able to sell your late season tickets for more money.  :)  

- Never forget, the New Orleans domed Saints came to Cleveland a couple of Decembers ago with a crippled offense and had to run the wild cat quite often...in one of the ten coldest games ever....and beat us because the ball slid right through the frozen hands of Njoku and Peoples-Jones in the end zone.  And ANOTHER TD didn't happen because as Njoku was about to catch the TD pass he slipped on the frozen field and fell on his ass.   $hitty weather is not a home field advantage. 

I think a dome is what will happen, and season ticket holders will be gouged on PSLs. 

There was talk years ago about putting a stadium on the post office land downtown (Orange Ave.). I have no idea if that's still even possible. The City of Cle will do whatever they can to keep them there IMHO.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think a $2 billion dome might be wishful thinking from the Haslams, even if I totally understand fiscally why that makes long-term sense. 

A retractable dome might be a complete pipedream then. 

I'm with you there.

SoFi in LA cost around $5B to build.

Allegiant in Las Vegas cost around $2B and that would have been pre-COVID pricing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I think a dome is what will happen, and season ticket holders will be gouged on PSLs. 

There was talk years ago about putting a stadium on the post office land downtown (Orange Ave.). I have no idea if that's still even possible. The City of Cle will do whatever they can to keep them there IMHO.

I saw a couple stories about how longtime Buffalo Bills season ticket holders have seen their prices skyrocket with the new stadium coming... 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

I think that more players would be happier to come to Cleveland if they knew that they wouldn't have to be playing outside in the $hitty Cleveland winter-type weather.  

Does Cleveland ever want to host a super bowl?   Without a dome they aren't getting one.  (Cleveland is NOT New York)

And just think, if / when the team gets really bad again, you'll be able to sell your late season tickets for more money.  :)  

- Never forget, the New Orleans domed Saints came to Cleveland a couple of Decembers ago with a crippled offense and had to run the wild cat quite often...in one of the ten coldest games ever....and beat us because the ball slid right through the frozen hands of Njoku and Peoples-Jones in the end zone.  And ANOTHER TD didn't happen because as Njoku was about to catch the TD pass he slipped on the frozen field and fell on his ass.   $hitty weather is not a home field advantage. 

Super Bowls, huge concerts year round, Final Fours, NCAA football playoff games, possibly the Big Ten Championship if it could ever be wrestled from Indianapolis' grip, etc...

Hell, the Raiders came from sunny California and beat the Browns in minus 30 degree January Cleveland weather back in January '81. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I saw a couple stories about how longtime Buffalo Bills season ticket holders have seen their prices skyrocket with the new stadium coming... 

Not only that, they scrapped a "seniority" method on first dibs. They give the season ticket holders who have the pricier seats preference. People who have had season tickets in Buffalo since the 60s are understandably upset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I wish we'd build the stadium near where they're building the new Cleveland Clinic / Cavs training and health center. 

Down in the Flats?

I couldn't even imagine how they would shoehorn a 65,000+ seat dome down there, unless there's an area I'm not thinking of? 

22 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

It'll be built at the old Ford Plant site in Brookpark, right next to the Airport.  They already purchased the land.

I didn't realize that the purchase was finalized.  It's not a bad thing that the Browns owner has more ties to the area.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Down in the Flats?

I couldn't even imagine how they would shoehorn a 65,000+ seat dome down there, unless there's an area I'm not thinking of? 

No, not the flats. Just south of downtown. Below rocker mortgage and progressive 

15 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

No, not the flats. Just south of downtown. Below rocker mortgage and progressive 

Oh, where allegedly the Browns were offered a spot during the Gateway time period. 

There still was talk of a stadium going there, where the huge post office building is. 

42 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh, where allegedly the Browns were offered a spot during the Gateway time period. 

There still was talk of a stadium going there, where the huge post office building is. 

I'd like it to still be "downtown" just not on the lake

But, if it is going in the burbz, there are probably some properties over there worth snatching up and sitting on

The only logical answer is to go dome in Brookpark.

There are sentimental reasons to stay downtown, but sentimental reason usually makes for poor business decisions.  There are multiple reasons why the move should be made over staying put and going with the band-aide approach.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, MLD Woody said:

I thought of that property, but there are still ingress and egress issues.  It also doesn't have enough room to do some of the things Haslam wants.

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I thought of that property, but there are still ingress and egress issues.  It also doesn't have enough room to do some of the things Haslam wants.

They should be looking at the property where the old army barracks are near Bratenahl over by MLK and the freeway... Haslam is an idiot! There is a lot of acerage there for development... They could put hotels.. A convention center and a new stadium there... These numb fucks are dropping the ball hard!

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

He's talking about just south of Progressive Field, south of the highway, right?

I mean, if it works going north a block or so to see a Guardians game, why wouldn't it work going a block or so south to see a Browns game?