THE BROWNS BOARD

Staying Put (and Outdoors) or Dome Sweet Dome in the 'Burbs?

There's been some mention of it in this thread, but what would the upside be - not just for the owners but the fans? People have mentioned being more comfortable in a dome (definite plus) and more events year-round being possible (also a plus) and fewer weather-related issues with game play as examples of pros for Cleveland-area residents. Can also see higher ticket prices, etc, to offset the costs (a negative for fans).

Any other big upsides? Or medium to small upsides/opportunities?

What I think the Haslams want is a dome in Brookpark surrounded by a ballpark village of sorts. 

I just question if there really is a demand for that out in Brookpark? You really think 20somethings are going to pass on going to downtown for... a TGIFridays in Brookpark?

This should be interesting. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What I think the Haslams want is a dome in Brookpark surrounded by a ballpark village of sorts. 

I just question if there really is a demand for that out in Brookpark? You really think 20somethings are going to pass on going to downtown for... a TGIFridays in Brookpark?

This should be interesting. 

I don't think it would be a TGI Fridays, so to speak.

I think a lot of people would go to bypass downtown.  You might lose some people who live on the east side, but people on the west or south side would easily go.  

I don't live in the area, so I have no clue, how busy is the Barley House as an example on an everyday Saturday night? I can't imagine a flock of people heading downtown.  It's probably full of central city dwellers.

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't think it would be a TGI Fridays, so to speak.

I think a lot of people would go to bypass downtown.  You might lose some people who live on the east side, but people on the west or south side would easily go.  

I don't live in the area, so I have no clue, how busy is the Barley House as an example on an everyday Saturday night? I can't imagine a flock of people heading downtown.  It's probably full of central city dwellers.

Honestly, I don't know...

But generally between Guardians, Cavs and Browns games, plus concerts at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse, and Playhouse Square, downtown seems pretty busy on the weekends.

Would a ballpark village in Brookpark be the same, especially considering the anchor tenant in reality is barely there? Of course, a dome would allow them to try and attract the Final Four, etc...

I guess we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Honestly, I don't know...

But generally between Guardians, Cavs and Browns games, plus concerts at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse, and Playhouse Square, downtown seems pretty busy on the weekends.

Would a ballpark village in Brookpark be the same, especially considering the anchor tenant in reality is barely there? Of course, a dome would allow them to try and attract the Final Four, etc...

I guess we'll see. 

Fair answer.   Nobody really knows.  The Cavs and Guards would still bring in crowds.  Concerts, the Dome would take some and probably/ possibly bring in some the Rocket doesn't.

In the end I think Haslam is going to make the move.  My feeling and my feeling is if I was Mr. Billionaire, if the city wasn't going to give you what you wanted and not pick up some cost and I had to pay the full bill, I would move to where I had it all and the way I wanted.

I suspect you and anybody else would too as well.

18 hours ago, tinythinker said:

Any other big upsides? Or medium to small upsides/opportunities?

It would be easier to attract players to the organization.  Believe it or not, there are players that don't like playing in the freezing wind, rain and/or snow.  Like Anthony Walker who just told his agent to find someplace warm and that he's sick of the cold.  Or Deshaun Watson who doesn't like the cold such that it took a quarter billion guaranteed to get him here.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

It would be easier to attract players to the organization.  Believe it or not, there are players that don't like playing in the freezing wind, rain and/or snow.  Like Anthony Walker who just told his agent to find someplace warm and that he's sick of the cold.  Or Deshaun Watson who doesn't like the cold such that it took a quarter billion guaranteed to get him here.

Great perspective...

I've always been a fan of being in the elements for football. It's just the way I was raised. I prefer outdoor stadiums.

However, if a new domed stadium attracts the talent necessary to win a Super Bowl. Do it. Right now. Everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

It's where the game is heading...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AP1 said:

I've always been a fan of being in the elements for football. It's just the way I was raised.

I was a fan back when there were no domes.  But this is a very different time.  There ARE teams with domes.  AND there's free agency which they didn't have in pre dome times.  -  I wonder how many Minnesota Vikings privately dreamed of taking Bud Grant behind the stadium and knocking some sense into him for not allowing them to use sideline heaters while the opponents, on the same sideline, could thaw themselves out while on the sidelines.  "Make them suffer!  It makes them tougher!"  

Some fans had to have amputations after the Chiefs playoff game this year.  The game was not invented / intended as a winter sport.  But games are being played practically into mid-winter.  

21 hours ago, Orion said:

I'd go so far as to say nobody* likes it.  My question to those who say so is why are nearly all Clevelanders so ready for spring and summer?

Who in here wants Cleveland cold and slop weather to be a year round deal?  Ask any lineman for the public utility in Cleveland if they like being up in the bucket in February.

*  OK, there are always a few simpletons in the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Orion said:

The Chicago Bears are set to announce a $4.6 billion plan to build a new enclosed stadium and improved lakefront area with half of the money coming from taxpayers, sources said.

A  $4.6B  new enclosed stadium  on mean  ol' Lake Michigan ....  sweet.   :o   

Face it in November, December  and  especially January I for one would  lo♥︎e  to be in a nice 68°  seasoned surroundings  versus a  7° with 25 mph winds blowing straight in off the lake for hours on end.

The players would agree with me  100%  guaranteed.   

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Face it in November, December  and  especially January I for one would  lo♥︎e  to be in a nice 68°  seasoned surroundings  versus a  7° with 25 mph winds blowing straight in off the lake for hours on end.

I absolutely understand that open-air football stadiums in the North are pretty useless for so much of the year but I admit, I watched a video of the renderings of the new Bears domed stadium and part of me died inside thinking of a team like the Bears playing indoors.

And I have a feeling if the Browns build a dome, a big part of me is going to absolutely hate it too, even if the logical part of me understands. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I watched a video of the renderings of the new Bears domed stadium and part of me died inside

I hear ya.  But a part of people died after the Chiefs playoff game.  (amputations)

Games are being played deeper and deeper into the winter.  We're at a 17 game schedule right now.  How long do we think that odd # 17 is going to last?   It's going to be 18 some day.  And they'll probably throw in another bye week.  So we'll be even deeper into the winter.  And the league will be scheduling night games...because it gives good TV ratings from the people sitting warm in their living rooms.  I mean really, we wouldn't make our dogs stay out in that weather for the time frame of a football game.  But it's ok for humans.  

11 minutes ago, Orion said:

I hear ya.  But a part of people died after the Chiefs playoff game.  (amputations)

Games are being played deeper and deeper into the winter.  We're at a 17 game schedule right now.  How long do we think that odd # 17 is going to last?   It's going to be 18 some day.  And they'll probably throw in another bye week.  So we'll be even deeper into the winter.  And the league will be scheduling night games...because it gives good TV ratings from the people sitting warm in their living rooms.  I mean really, we wouldn't make our dogs stay out in that weather for the time frame of a football game.  But it's ok for humans.  

Hence why I wrote that the logical part of me understands why the team could end up in a dome. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

No doubt.  Ony simpletons think you should be playing in the snow and slush.  I'd also bet most don't even go to games.

IMO if you don't attend 3-4 games a year, your opinion is moot.   

Big talkers who don't spend money.  Pfft.

It's easy to say what you want while sitting at home.  I go to games and live 600 miles away.