THE BROWNS BOARD

ABOUT BROWNS CONTRACT EXTENSIONS

Vambo

About the Browns & contract extensions; Nick Chubb; Cade York & more – Terry Pluto - cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The last Browns coach/GM combination to receive a contract extension was Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage.

It was right after the Halley’s Comet season of 2007. I call it that because it came out of nowhere. Led by Derek Anderson, the Browns finished 10-6.
In the first two years of the Crennel/Savage regime, the Browns were 6-10 and 4-12. They needed a big season in 2007 to keep their jobs, and along came Anderson and the 10-6 record. That led to contract extensions for Crennel, Savage and several key assistant coaches including Rob Chudzinski.

Then came 2008 … injuries … back to 4-12, like 2006. All the key people were fired, and owner Randy Lerner brought in Eric Mangini to run everything. Crennel/Savage lasted four years. Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam are working on contract extensions for GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski. They have been together for four years. The way they worked together in 2023 was impressive, because things could have collapsed after Nick Chubb and Deshaun Watson went down for the season. Chubb played three quarters. Watson played only five full games. Berry and Stefanski are entering the final year of the contracts they signed in 2020. That’s the reason for the extensions, along with rewarding them for a good job. Since Berry and Stefanski arrived, the whisper of “internal discord” and other in-fighting on the Browns ended. I’m sure they’ve had their disputes. But they don’t go public and point fingers of blame at each other. That’s critical to building success and dealing with adversity. Until they arrived, the Browns were known for the feuds within the building and power struggles. It’s a relief to see the operation run professionally.

BEING REAL ABOUT RUNNING BACKS  

The Browns keep adding running backs, and that’s smart. They signed veteran D’Onta Foreman. I’ve always liked him in terms of being a solid back. He joins Jerome Ford and Pierre Strong from last seasonYes, the Browns also signed Nyheim Hines, but he’s mostly a special teams guy and perhaps a running back who can catch passes. What about Nick Chubb? The Browns are encouraged about his progress, but not wanting to put any timetable on his return. “Call it three months,” Berry told cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot and a few other media members at the owners meetings. “That will be pretty telling in terms of his potential readiness for early in the season. We’re going to be conservative in terms of our approach in our assessment with building the roster because he’s coming off of a major knee injury.” It’s doubtful most people know exactly what Chubb is facing. He injured his knee in the second quarter of a Sept. 18, 2023, loss in Pittsburgh. That led to surgery to repair the MCL in September. 

But there also was damage to the ACL in the same knee. That led to another operation – on Nov. 14, 2023. The original plan was for two surgeries because of the severity of the knee injury. Making it more complicated, Chubb suffered a major injury to the same knee in 2015 while playing at Georgia. “He had torn the PCL (posterior cruciate ligament), MCL (medial collateral) and LCL (lateral collateral) in an instant,” wrote NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread about Chubb’s Georgia injury. “There was cartilage damage as well. Yet somehow, his ACL -- the ligament that typically results in a season-ender when torn -- was intact. That there were three torn ligaments made Chubb’s injury very serious; that the ACL wasn’t torn made it very unique.” But this time, he also ripped the ACL. The Browns are simply being smart. The more respectable running backs, the better. It also allows Chubb to not rush the process.

THEN THERE’S QUARTERBACKS

The Browns sound very upbeat about Deshaun Watson’s progress from shoulder surgery. He has started throwing. Watson had surgery on Nov. 21, 2023 to repair his fractured right shoulder socket. It’s not a common injury for a quarterback. It’s to fine to project he’ll play well and be healthy at least for most season. ut the wise move is to have QBs. Lots of QBs. That’s why Berry quickly signed veteran Jameis Winston as the primary backup. Then he was surprised and pleased to see former Ravens QB Tyler Huntley available. Berry said this to the media at the owners meetings about Huntley: “Quarterback’s the most important position. We wouldn’t stop acquiring offensive or defensive linemen. We wouldn’t do the same at quarterback.” The 30-year-old Winston has started 80 NFL games. Huntley has started nine. The Browns also have Dorian Thompson-Robinson (DTR), who started three games last season. After going through five different QBs last season, this is a wise approach. It’s OK to hope for the best-case scenario when it comes to Watson and Chubb. But the Browns have to be realistic and plan for the worst.

HOW ABOUT KICKERS?

The same philosophy holds when it comes to finding someone behind Dustin Hopkins. The main reason the Chargers were willing to trade Hopkins to the Browns at the end of the 2023 training camp was his history of injuries, especially hamstrings.Hopkins played only five games for the Chargers in 2022. He made it through 15 games for the Browns in 2023 before hurting his hamstring again.

SIDENOTE: I do wish kickers and QBs would stop trying to act like football players and make tackles. That’s how Baker Mayfield hurt his shoulder with the Browns in 2021. Hopkins was chasing a return man when he pulled his hamstring. Anyway, Hopkins is back … and so is Cade York, the kicker he replaced.

The fact that York was cut by Cleveland, and then by the Giants and Titans doesn’t bother me. Phil Dawson was cut three times before finally making the Browns in 1999.Hopkins was cut by Buffalo, New Orleans and Washington during his career. Most kickers – even good ones – are cut at least once early in their careers.

York is there for protection on the practice squad, and maybe he’ll figure it out.

• Thanks 3

Just a thought...with the new kick off rules, I wonder if we keep both kickers?  York for kickoffs and Hopkins for place kicks.  Maybe York for the bomb kicks.  That way Hopkins hammy only has to jog on to the field, make a kick, then jog off.

No doubt an out in left field thought, but not impossible IMO.  There have been a few seasons in the past where we had 2 kickers active on gamedays.  Groza and Cockroft...Cox and somebody else who I can't remember....maybe Bahr

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Just a thought...with the new kick off rules, I wonder if we keep both kickers?  York for kickoffs and Hopkins for place kicks.  Maybe York for the bomb kicks.  That way Hopkins hammy only has to jog on to the field, make a kick, then jog off.

No doubt an out in left field thought, but not impossible IMO.  There have been a few seasons in the past where we had 2 kickers active on gamedays.  Groza and Cockroft...Cox and somebody else who I can't remember....maybe Bahr

Cox was the punter who occasionally attempted long field goals, not a situation where there were two placekickers on the roster at the same time.

Where does the ball come out if you kick it into the end zone? 

I'm glad they extended Stefanski & Berry. It's not perfect but the facts are the Browns have been more stable and competitive during their reign. 2024 poses some challenges with a more difficult schedule (on paper, a 2nd place schedule).

Regarding Chubb, he's the heart & soul of the team. I don't envy Berry's position- you've got to get a deal done but there's the fear of the unknown. Chubb seems "ego-less" but needs compensation. 

The draft will be interesting. I want LBs but maybe the smart thing is to draft O linemen, as they aren't getting any younger. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I'm glad they extended Stefanski & Berry. It's not perfect but the facts are the Browns have been more stable and competitive during their reign. 2024 poses some challenges with a more difficult schedule (on paper, a 2nd place schedule).

Regarding Chubb, he's the heart & soul of the team. I don't envy Berry's position- you've got to get a deal done but there's the fear of the unknown. Chubb seems "ego-less" but needs compensation. 

The draft will be interesting. I want LBs but maybe the smart thing is to draft O linemen, as they aren't getting any younger. 

They definitely need to get some younger OLinemen in house.

Besides Jones, what OLineman would anyone be confident is going to be here two years?

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2024 at 7:08 PM, Vambo said:

SIDENOTE: I do wish kickers and QBs would stop trying to act like football players

Thank you Mr. Pluto! 

How many times have I said that I hate our star QB running with the ball and taking on tacklers?  

The QB, Kicker and Punter (and I guess long snapper too, but let's leave him out of it) are special players.   Two of them are somewhat easier to replace (K & P).   But let's face it, none of them are 'regular football players'.   If you lose your starting QB, your whole organization goes into the $hitter for that season at least.   (forget about last season's playoff appearance, we were extremely lucky to sign some old has been that played well)  -  ...and thanks muchly for that Joe Flacco  :)  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bob806 said:

the problem for me is there's nothing special or clever about Shitmypantskies offense and theres nothing special about him... "yawnnnnn"

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

the problem for me is there's nothing special or clever about Shitmypantskies offense and theres nothing special about him... "yawnnnnn"

Well, I kind of get it but the Browns move the chains & score points nowadays.

Also, they actually win division games, & home games. 

#woof

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Except for the 2 NFL Coach of the Year Awards he received in his 1st 4 years in Cleveland.  Winning 11 games without Nick Chubb, 2 starting tackles and in spite of the need for 5 different QBs must be a lot easier than I've been giving it credit for. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Well, I kind of get it but the Browns move the chains & score points nowadays.

Also, they actually win division games, & home games. 

#woof

I didn't realize anyone would ever miss the 1-15 football followed by 0-16 football we had to endure a couple years or so before Stefanski arrived.  I was wrong...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flugel said:

I didn't realize anyone would ever miss the 1-15 football followed by 0-16 football we had to endure a couple years or so before Stefanski arrived.  I was wrong...

Yep. The Browns are going in the right direction for a change. 

Nobody really knows what's going to happen this coming season, but I like our chances 

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Except for the 2 NFL Coach of the Year Awards he received in his 1st 4 years in Cleveland.  Winning 11 games without Nick Chubb, 2 starting tackles and in spite of the need for 5 different QBs must be a lot easier than I've been giving it credit for. 

Whoopty doo!!...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

This might come to a shock to some, but nickers is a miserable twat. 

I'm sorry to ruffle any feathers by dropping that bomb. 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This might come to a shock to some, but nickers is a miserable twat. 

I'm sorry to ruffle any feathers by dropping that bomb. 

coach was talking about his in  game adjustment's , saying you do not have time during the half. You need to get ahead of it during the game. of course nickers mom should have swallowed, there were no in game adjustments made .

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, syd said:

Oh Please tell us how you kinda fucking get it.

The Browns aren't flashy, like KC or Miami with big plays. 

Doesn't bother me at all, as long as they win. I think that's why some fans aren't in Stefanski 's corner.

20 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

The Browns aren't flashy, like KC or Miami with big plays. 

Doesn't bother me at all, as long as they win. I think that's why some fans aren't in Stefanski 's corner.

Kinda hard to do anything flashy. When you are just trying to win  game's with  5 different quarterbacks.

edit: I put a link up in the D.W thread, It is worth the watch. Coach is on for the first  10-15 mins. Explains his demeanor on  the sidelines.

• 4 weeks later...

About the Browns & contract extensions; Nick Chubb; Cade York & more – Terry Pluto - cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The last Browns coach/GM combination to receive a contract extension was Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage.

It was right after the Halley’s Comet season of 2007. I call it that because it came out of nowhere. Led by Derek Anderson, the Browns finished 10-6.
In the first two years of the Crennel/Savage regime, the Browns were 6-10 and 4-12. They needed a big season in 2007 to keep their jobs, and along came Anderson and the 10-6 record. That led to contract extensions for Crennel, Savage and several key assistant coaches including Rob Chudzinski.

Then came 2008 … injuries … back to 4-12, like 2006. All the key people were fired, and owner Randy Lerner brought in Eric Mangini to run everything. Crennel/Savage lasted four years. Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam are working on contract extensions for GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski. They have been together for four years. The way they worked together in 2023 was impressive, because things could have collapsed after Nick Chubb and Deshaun Watson went down for the season. Chubb played three quarters. Watson played only five full games. Berry and Stefanski are entering the final year of the contracts they signed in 2020. That’s the reason for the extensions, along with rewarding them for a good job. Since Berry and Stefanski arrived, the whisper of “internal discord” and other in-fighting on the Browns ended. I’m sure they’ve had their disputes. But they don’t go public and point fingers of blame at each other. That’s critical to building success and dealing with adversity. Until they arrived, the Browns were known for the feuds within the building and power struggles. It’s a relief to see the operation run professionally.

The Browns keep adding running backs, and that’s smart. They signed veteran D’Onta Foreman. I’ve always liked him in terms of being a solid back. He joins Jerome Ford and Pierre Strong from last seasonYes, the Browns also signed Nyheim Hines, but he’s mostly a special teams guy and perhaps a running back who can catch passes. What about Nick Chubb? The Browns are encouraged about his progress, but not wanting to put any timetable on his return. “Call it three months,” Berry told cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot and a few other media members at the owners meetings. “That will be pretty telling in terms of his potential readiness for early in the season. We’re going to be conservative in terms of our approach in our assessment with building the roster because he’s coming off of a major knee injury.” It’s doubtful most people know exactly what Chubb is facing. He injured his knee in the second quarter of a Sept. 18, 2023, loss in Pittsburgh. That led to surgery to repair the MCL in September. 

But there also was damage to the ACL in the same knee. That led to another operation – on Nov. 14, 2023. The original plan was for two surgeries because of the severity of the knee injury. Making it more complicated, Chubb suffered a major injury to the same knee in 2015 while playing at Georgia. “He had torn the PCL (posterior cruciate ligament), MCL (medial collateral) and LCL (lateral collateral) in an instant,” wrote NFL.com’s Chase Goodbread about Chubb’s Georgia injury. “There was cartilage damage as well. Yet somehow, his ACL -- the ligament that typically results in a season-ender when torn -- was intact. That there were three torn ligaments made Chubb’s injury very serious; that the ACL wasn’t torn made it very unique.” But this time, he also ripped the ACL. The Browns are simply being smart. The more respectable running backs, the better. It also allows Chubb to not rush the process.

The Browns sound very upbeat about Deshaun Watson’s progress from shoulder surgery. He has started throwing. Watson had surgery on Nov. 21, 2023 to repair his fractured right shoulder socket. It’s not a common injury for a quarterback. It’s to fine to project he’ll play well and be healthy at least for most season. ut the wise move is to have QBs. Lots of QBs. That’s why Berry quickly signed veteran Jameis Winston as the primary backup. Then he was surprised and pleased to see former Ravens QB Tyler Huntley available. Berry said this to the media at the owners meetings about Huntley: “Quarterback’s the most important position. We wouldn’t stop acquiring offensive or defensive linemen. We wouldn’t do the same at quarterback.” The 30-year-old Winston has started 80 NFL games. Huntley has started nine. The Browns also have Dorian Thompson-Robinson (DTR), who started three games last season. After going through five different QBs last season, this is a wise approach. It’s OK to hope for the best-case scenario when it comes to Watson and Chubb. But the Browns have to be realistic and plan for the worst.

HOW ABOUT KICKERS?

The same philosophy holds when it comes to finding someone behind Dustin Hopkins. The main reason the Chargers were willing to trade Hopkins to the Browns at the end of the 2023 training camp was his history of injuries, especially hamstrings.Hopkins played only five games for the Chargers in 2022. He made it through 15 games for the Browns in 2023 before hurting his hamstring again.

SIDENOTE: I do wish kickers and QBs would stop trying to act like football players and make tackles. That’s how Baker Mayfield hurt his shoulder with the Browns in 2021. Hopkins was chasing a return man when he pulled his hamstring. Anyway, Hopkins is back … and so is Cade York, the kicker he replaced.

The fact that York was cut by Cleveland, and then by the Giants and Titans doesn’t bother me. Phil Dawson was cut three times before finally making the Browns in 1999.Hopkins was cut by Buffalo, New Orleans and Washington during his career. Most kickers – even good ones – are cut at least once early in their careers.

York is there for protection on the practice squad, and maybe he’ll figure it out.

Hey Vambo,  turned out to be an  INTERESTING  thread.   mjp.

Including the  2024 NFL DRAFT  days.

• Haha 1

HOW ABOUT KICKERS?

If we want a place kicker 31 other teams wouldn't even consider signing from our practice squad - York is perfect.  Let's just hope we never have to use him.  We can probably sign Anthony Schwartz too if we want to stick with this mentality/philosophy.