THE BROWNS BOARD

The New Kickoff Strategies

Orion

So, you're the ST Coordinator and you're going to have to march up to the HC and explain what you plan on doing for the kick-off and coverage as well as how you'll handle the returns.

What type of player do you need to cover the kick and tackle the opponent?   What type of body size will you have at the 35 yard line for blocking for the return?  Will you have them go forward and engage the coverage guys?  Will you have them retreat before engaging?  Will you have 1 guy deep or 2?

Do you think one side of the ball has an advantage?  

Would you just decide to kick it through the end zone and give them the ball at the 30?   (I'm glad they changed the spot to the 30 from the 35 in the eleventh hour.  At least now there's an option that lets you kick it out of the end zone and you only lose 5 yards over last year's rule.)

18 hours ago, Orion said:

So, you're the ST Coordinator and you're going to have to march up to the HC and explain what you plan on doing for the kick-off and coverage as well as how you'll handle the returns.

What type of player do you need to cover the kick and tackle the opponent?   What type of body size will you have at the 35 yard line for blocking for the return?  Will you have them go forward and engage the coverage guys?  Will you have them retreat before engaging?  Will you have 1 guy deep or 2?

Do you think one side of the ball has an advantage?  

Would you just decide to kick it through the end zone and give them the ball at the 30?   (I'm glad they changed the spot to the 30 from the 35 in the eleventh hour.  At least now there's an option that lets you kick it out of the end zone and you only lose 5 yards over last year's rule.)

If I could choose 1 already employed proto-type at the 35 blocking for our Kickoff Return man - it would be this 6-3 305 lb FB/John Deere Tractor.  His name is Patrick Ricard and he will be the lead blocker for Derrick Henry this year.  Sound like fun?  It will be when they play Pittsburgh TWICE...

image.jpeg.5bbd7c0f04bfbf1d093ff12a3040a60c.jpeg

• Like 1

I just kick it through the endzone and start at the 30....Maybe early in the season, or pre season you see how things work and see where it averages but doing that prevents a return TD or long return..  Those usually kill you in a game.

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I just kick it through the endzone and start at the 30....Maybe early in the season, or pre season you see how things work and see where it averages but doing that prevents a return TD or long return..  Those usually kill you in a game.

That's where I'm at. But we'll see if there's a way to exploit it...

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

There was small school in the Greater Rochester Area called Caledonia Mumford that ranked #1 in the State.  In fact, they ranked #1 in the state frequently in the 80s and 90s if memory serves me right.  Roland Poles, the current GM of the Bears played there - as did his older brothers Junior and Ronnie.  Junior went to BC.  Ronnie or Roland or both played at Tennessee.  

Anyway, that team used to lay the football down the long way on the white line; and the big huge tackle would kick freakin line drives at the 5 guys on the front line of the return team (usually all linemen shittin their pants). You wouldn't believe the chaos that generated for opposing teams.  It was brilliant!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Flugel said:

There was small school in the Greater Rochester Area called Caledonia Mumford that ranked #1 in the State.  In fact, they ranked #1 in the state frequently in the 80s and 90s if memory serves me right.  Roland Poles, the current GM of the Bears played there - as did his older brothers Junior and Ronnie.  Junior went to BC.  Ronnie or Roland or both played at Tennessee.  

Anyway, that team used to lay the football down the long way on the white line; and the big huge tackle would kick freakin line drives at the 5 guys on the front line of the return team (usually all linemen shittin their pants). You wouldn't believe the chaos that generated for opposing teams.  It was brilliant!

LOL...I can see that smashed kick, somewhat knuckling at them or spinning horizontally.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

LOL...I can see that smashed kick, somewhat knuckling at them or spinning horizontally.

😆 It was really something to see. What a way to show an opponent we're gonna gut you today. Here's a little something about that Cal-Mum football program during the 70s, 80s and 90s.  The cool thing about it is they were just a small school in the middle of nowhere.  They had a unique way of thinking; and a surprising amount of talent.  I was hoping I'd see a picture of that kickoff team in the article but I didn't see it.  Unfortunately, they ended up needing to their football program with Byron-Bergen somewhere in 2016.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/09/19/photos-caledonia-mumford-red-raiders-through-years-section-v-rochester-ny-leroy-oatkan-knights/1345773002/