THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Barrier Reef Trip

Jax

Thinking about different vacations to do with the kids, has anyone here been to the great barrier reef?

Australia is not one of my top destinations due to the fact everything there can kill you, but I'd like to experience snorkeling the reef. It's really not at the top of my list but if I can do it cheap enough I think it'd be great to sneak it in.

I am researching the internet and there's tons of info but I want to hear personal experiences here if any.

Most of the great barrier reef is dead (from humans). 

The largest living barrier reef is in Belize. Caye Caulker is an island off the coast I vacationed at with a lot of water activities. Idk kid options though. 

I visited Turks & Caicos in the Caribbean in March of 2023.

Grace Bay has one of the largest barrier reefs on the planet.

The clear turquoise water is a plus, and I can’t recommend it enough.

https://www.visittci.com/nature-and-history/geology-ecology-climate/barrier-reef

Belize looks interesting, it'd be cool to take one of the day trips to some of the Mayan sites. Youngest kid is 16, so I think they'll be in for anything I just want to keep it mostly safe since it's my idea.

T&C would be another great spot, plus the plane ride would be a lot shorter. I've been to Nassau and Aruba on the northern end of the Bahamas, absolutely loved the waters there as well.

25 minutes ago, Axe said:

We've done Greece and the med a couple times. Santorini, Mykonos, Malta. Can't recommend it highly enough. Would go again tomorrow.

I'm going to Greece, Satorini, Italy and Croatia in June.. Tomorrow afternoon.. I fly down to Ponce Inlet.Florida for a few days.. Here's the Sunrise. from our family retreat...

Ponce Sunrise.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's awesome, that trip would be on my list as well.

How long did you stay down there Axe and was it enough time?

How long are you going for Nickers?

I'd like to go for a couple weeks where I can spend a day or 2 with nothing to do but casually stroll around some Italian streets and relax.

13 minutes ago, Jax said:

How long are you going for Nickers?

I'd like to go for a couple weeks where I can spend a day or 2 with nothing to do but casually stroll around some Italian streets and relax.

We're flying out of Toronto on June 5th and returning June 23rd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jax said:

Actually Greece and the Med are considerably north of our latitude. The first trip originated out of Sarasota, then to O'hare 😖 then to Frankfurt to Istanbul for a day or so.. From there to Mykonos for a day and on to Athens for a day, Malta for a day, Catania Sicily for a day, Naples for a day and Rome (where I got two of the worst pizzas ever) for a few days. Rome is a madhouse! And I probably won't be invited back to the Vatican anytime soon but that's a different story ;) The return flight from Rome to NYC to Tampa started at sunrise. I pulled into our garage the same day about 6pm with hrs of daylight left. All in all I believe it was 11 days.

The second was Tampa to NYC to Athens for 2 days. Then we traveled Greece for 5 days. Delphi, Olympia (site of the original Olympic stadium) and so many other cool places before heading back to Athens where we hopped on a boat for 4 days. Santorini, Mykonos, a day in Turkey and back to Athens.

I've got to recommend (west coast) Costa Rica as well and believe it or not Ecuador was incredible.. The west coast of Mexico is cool too. Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo of course. We've been very lucky. We've gotten around a little bit. ;)

"Was there enough time?"

There's NEVER enough time :D

Santorini Sunset.jpg

2 hours ago, Jax said:

Belize looks interesting, it'd be cool to take one of the day trips to some of the Mayan sites. Youngest kid is 16, so I think they'll be in for anything I just want to keep it mostly safe since it's my idea.

T&C would be another great spot, plus the plane ride would be a lot shorter. I've been to Nassau and Aruba on the northern end of the Bahamas, absolutely loved the waters there as well.

We went into Belize, stayed at a hostel, and went to the sites. Spent a good part of the day going to and in ATM cave. Not a super difficult trek but you're swimming, climbing, etc in the cave.

Chichen Itza is a must see when thinking about Mayan sites. It's a myth that the Mayans disappeared. They are everywhere down there and easily distinguishable from normal Mexicans.

I think I'd go back to Hawaii before going to Australia, lol, so many lethal critters around in the ocean and on land.

The times we snorkeled in Hawaii, and then the Caribbean, no worries until the guides up on the boat threw a bunch of

chum in the water, and hundreds of little fish moved in. Pretty amazing to hear the ladies shriek under water....