THE BROWNS BOARD

Finally....done with the horrble DW deal!!!!

Kvoethe

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Indeed!  Those are the 1st 2 words after "I do" in bold up top.  Having said that when you're married 30 years - the frequency of using them can lessen.  By then, we have all we can do to remember why we just walked into the kitchen.  

If was to come in and say "Yes dear" to something you really could not hear from another room.😁🙉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Finally....done with the horrble DW deal

I cannot argue that to this point it's been a bad deal.  The league suspended him for 11 games, robbing us of season 1.  Then he hurt himself while trying to run over defensive players, robbing us of season 2.  

We fans don't give much of a crap about the money he's being paid (though it affects the salary cap)...but we do care about not having three 1st round picks AND not having him able to play in games.  

Having said that, I had soured on Mayfield.  I felt like he wasn't good enough and that we were stuck with him.  There was nobody in sight to draft...even if we traded to the top of the draft.  Therefore, I felt that the Browns brain-trust felt the same as I did.  So, I cannot fault them for doing it.  I can say that I'm disappointed in how horrible the trade has been to this point.  I can blame the league and Roger GoToHell for changing the original ruling from 6 to 11 games of suspension.  I can blame Watson for acting like a dope and taking on tacklers instead of sliding.  But I can't blame them for doing the deal.  

Finally, the fact is that the deal IS NOT done.  We still have the QB.  The 'deal' marches on for as long as we have Watson.  But we're already 2 years in the hole.  He's going to have to be a better QB than Mayfield was for the next several years for the deal to be deemed beneficial.  

^ Just wanted to quote the one good post in this prototypical BB thread so it can be seen again to all of those who missed it.

It is nice having the draft debt finally paid off so the Browns can get back to making the utmost out of their 1st round draft picks. This season will be the make or break for Watson and he either will or he won't and if he does, then it just might have all been worth it. If he doesn't, there's  not a doubt in my mind the Browns will tap out and move on.

I won't be surprised either way and September is going to tell us a lot. If he's under center on opening day then that should put his health questions to rest, but if he's not then all bets are off. 

All that being said, I'm far more worried/excited/apprehensive about Chubb than I ever will be about Watson. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

^ Just wanted to quote the one good post in this prototypical BB thread so it can be seen again to all of those who missed it.

I donno D but after seeing that new avatar I figure that sex change operation has made taking those hard landings in motocross a lot easier on the crotch.😁

• Haha 2

On 4/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I'll miss our debate about the greatness that was one Kenny Pickett... 🤣

Oh yeah, remember during Najee's rookie year when I described him as a JAG who would never be able to even sniff Nick Chubb's jockstrap?

Najee Harris has run behind a patch work line his entire career. He's got one now. I still believe Pickett can be good but the steelers did him no favors with Matt Canada. Rooney kept that shit show around too long. Kenny didn't want to sit behind rudolph and then didn't want to compete with Wilson. Business is business. It's irrelevant to what i said about Watson. What Browns fan feels good about that Watson trade? And why? 

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2024 at 7:55 PM, SdBacker80 said:

I’ve gone over this with a friend recently. 

So we keep our pick in 2022 And take Kenny Pickett?  What do you think?

Or we find a bridge in 2022 and take Anthony Richardson or Will Levis in 2023?  CJ Stroud would have been nice but it would have required 13/14 losses. 

We can argue that we could have found a mid late round gem like Brock Purdy…I’m not a total homer let’s be honest we would have found Bailey Zappe or Sam Howell before that happened.

This is certainly not a roster void of talent - and crippled by the loss of draft capital 2/3 years from now who knows but that’s most of the NFL. And if you recall or most on here can recall we’ve had a young or youngish roster prior to the trade that was stocked full of draft picks - if there was a team that needed/could have made this trade it was the Browns 

The Browns should have let baker Mayfield heal. Don't trot the dude out there that season with his body all fucked up even if he wanted to be on the field. You'd still have the guy you drafted and all that draft capital. I will forever say the Browns did not try to help baker. Haslam saw Watson come available and threw the bank at him. It will always be a stupid trade unless Watson starts walking on water because to this point it sure as hell seems like he's just cool with getting his money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The Browns should have let baker Mayfield heal. Don't trot the dude out there that season with his body all fucked up even if he wanted to be on the field. You'd still have the guy you drafted and all that draft capital. I will forever say the Browns did not try to help baker. Haslam saw Watson come available and threw the bank at him. It will always be a stupid trade unless Watson starts walking on water because to this point it sure as hell seems like he's just cool with getting his money. 

I don't want to brag; but I made it all the way to the 1st period above without crying.  

I gotta disagree with you about not trying to help Baker though.  The FO brought Jarvis Landry here and he helped a ton.  Then, they added Pro Bowl WR OBJ.  Those were efforts.  They also added FA Tackle Jack Conklin at RT with a big contract.  The guy just hasn't been able to stay healthy.  The year he did, the Browns scored 48 points in the playoffs at Pittsburgh.  That same year, they drafted a LT 10th overall.  They also had 2 very talent OGs here with Bitonio and Teller.  

After a very promising rookie year; Baker spent a lot of his 1st off-season doing countless commercials, getting married/honeymooning, and chugging beers in public at Tribe games.  I think we can all agree he was distracted; and the inevitable sophomore slump followed.  

I wanted us to draft Baker; but every good year was followed by a bad year.  That was quite the bi-polar coaster.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I don't want to brag; but I made it all the way to the 1st period above without crying.  

I gotta disagree with you about not trying to help Baker though.  The brought Jarvis Landry here and helped a ton.  Then, they added Pro Bowl WR OBJ.  Those were efforts.  They also added FA Tackle Jack Conklin at RT with a big contract.  The guy just hasn't been able to stay healthy.  The year he did, the Browns scored 48 points in the playoffs at Pittsburgh.  That same year, they drafted a LT 10th overall.  They also had 2 very talent OGs here with Bitonio and Teller.  

After a very promising rookie year; Baker spent a lot of his 1st off-season doing countless commercials, getting married/honeymooning, and chugging beers in public at Tribe games.  I think we can all agree he was distracted; and the inevitable sophomore slump followed.  

I wanted us to draft Baker; but every good year was followed by a bad year.  That was quite the bi-polar coaster.  

Without a doubt my favorite moment of Fat Baker's Sophomore Season of Shit was the road game where he shows up to the stadium with a thin beard, then shaves down to a Fu Manchu at halftime, then comes to the post game loss press conference with just a moustache. 

That was some quality stuff right there. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Without a doubt my favorite moment of Fat Baker's Sophomore Season of Shit was the road game where he shows up to the stadium with a thin beard, then shaves down to a Fu Manchu at halftime, then comes to the post game loss press conference with just a moustache. 

That was some quality stuff right there. 

Did that really happen?  I totally missed that.  So he had a little 'Billy' thing goin' on?

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Did that really happen?  I totally missed that.  So he had a little 'Billy' thing goin' on?

I want to say it was vs Denver?

Who can forget ole slow footed, overeating fat Baker and his "my commercials make me more money than my Browns do so fuck you" Soph lose the job season? Me, that's who.😁 Because I don't have selected a forget all he's done wrong stormy memory like some BB members seem to have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know, Watson was part of the trade so in my mind we gave up 2 first round picks.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know, Watson was part of the trade so in my mind we gave up 2 first round picks.

The Browns will receive Watson and a 2024 sixth-round draft choice (which was originally a fifth-round pick), while the Texans will receive a 2022 first-round pick (No. 13 overall), 2023 and 2024 first-round picks, a 2022 fourth-round choice (No. 107), a third-round pick in 2023 and a fourth-round pick in 2024. 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Who can forget ole slow footed, overeating fat Baker and his "my commercials make me more money than my Browns do so fuck you" Soph lose the job season? Me, that's who.😁 Because I don't have selected a forget all he's done wrong stormy memory like some BB members seem to have.

Here's the thing, when a QB is drafted 1st overall - there's an expectation that was higher than he achieved.  Pittsburgh drafted Kenny Pickett 22nd overall; and that fanbase wasn't exactly patient with him.  

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

🤣

I mean, what #1 overall pick in NFL history couldn't outrun a cop?

And could you imagine what the Poliboard boys who all love their Great White Dope Baker would have said if Lamar Jackson had been found to try and run from a cop when getting arrested? Oh my goodness, I believe they would have branded him a thug. We all know what "thug" is MAGA for, don't we? 😉

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:
2 days agoCleveland Browns. 2022 first-round pick: Deshaun Watson (15 th overall pick was traded). Watson was suspended by the NFL for the first 11 games for violations of the league personal conduct policy. In six games started, Watson was 3-3, threw 7 touchdowns and 5 interceptions, and had a

What is the hidden cost of posting links that need you to be a subscriber to read, Comrade Cal? 

What has to be the most frustrating thing about the Watson trade is that if the Browns had actually had a QB land in their lap like a Joe Burrow or CJ Stroud, this probable swing and a miss blockbuster trade would have never had to be made.

Instead, the year we had the #1 overall pick and went shopping for a QB, we ended up with Baker Reagan Mayfield. No team serious about having Super Bowl aspirations is keeping him as their QB long-term.

Such a pity. That probably set us back ten years. 

2 days agoCleveland Browns. 2022 first-round pick: Deshaun Watson (15 th overall pick was traded). Watson was suspended by the NFL for the first 11 games for violations of the league personal conduct policy. In six games started, Watson was 3-3, threw 7 touchdowns and 5 interceptions, and had a
  • Haha 1

Oct 23, 2023The answer to decades of quarterback woes in Cleveland, Watson has run out of excuses for being awful. Since the trade he's been among the worst quarterbacks in the NFL. 10 games, 165-for-277 ...
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Now we're re-posting the same links Comrade Cal?

Bold move, Cotton.  

I've only seen this post from him about 8 times. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Such a pity. That probably set us back ten years. 

I think there's a litany of QB's that set us back a decade.  Hell, we should probably be back in the 18th century by now.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Orion said:

The Browns will receive Watson and a 2024 sixth-round draft choice (which was originally a fifth-round pick), while the Texans will receive a 2022 first-round pick (No. 13 overall), 2023 and 2024 first-round picks, a 2022 fourth-round choice (No. 107), a third-round pick in 2023 and a fourth-round pick in 2024. 

I know what the trade values were. My point is my valuation is the first year of picks don't count as extra.  We received Watson in return.  The 2nd and 3rd year are the extra picks.  I think Berry has done a good job of covering the 3rd and 4th rounders so I don't think we lost much there.

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Ah, so that's where our 4th rounder went this year. Well at least it was later 4th round since we had a winning season.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ah, so that's where our 4th rounder went this year. Well at least it was later 4th round since we had a winning season.

Do you think Houston would trade CJ Stroud for Cheesecakes Mayfield?  😁

Neither do I...  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

My point is my valuation is the first year of picks don't count as extra.  We received Watson in return. 

So, we traded a 1st & a 4th round pick for Watson.  Then we threw in some extra picks and they threw in a pick.  Certainly sounds better than three 1st rounders.  :)  

Anywho, we're paid in full (outside of his salaries) on the investment.  Now, we continue to wait for a return on the investment.  And we can get back in the business of drafting on Thursday nights.  Perhaps even drafting a QB in round 1.  I mean, we can't see the future.  There's a non zero chance that Watson never returns to form.  After all, he did screw up his throwing shoulder.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

So, we traded a 1st & a 4th round pick for Watson.  Then we threw in some extra picks and they threw in a pick.  Certainly sounds better than three 1st rounders.  :)  

Anywho, we're paid in full (outside of his salaries) on the investment.  Now, we continue to wait for a return on the investment.  And we can get back in the business of drafting on Thursday nights.  Perhaps even drafting a QB in round 1.  I mean, we can't see the future.  There's a non zero chance that Watson never returns to form.  After all, he did screw up his throwing shoulder.

I will not argue against the after the fact issues,  they are after the fact.

That;s a different topic of discussion.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

That;s a different topic of discussion.

Yes.

This trade was modelled after the Rams Mathew Stafford trade.  You're built to win now, but you don't have faith in your QB.  There's no way to draft one, so trade for a proven talent.  And like everything else, it's a great call if it works.

Last year at this time we had people predicting that Stef would be fired at the end of the season if Watson did not perform well.  But somehow, with defense and smart coaching he won games while alternating two pathetic QB's.  And then he altered his offense to accommodate Joe Flacco's game.  Great work by Stef.  But Trigger Finger Haslem still owns the team so It's possible that Stef only kicked the can down the road.  Two of our top superstars (Watson & Chubb) are coming off of injuries & surgeries.  We've brought in RB's to cover for Chubb...but there's only so much you can do to cover for your championship caliber QB.  Without your championship QB, you're not a championship contender.  

This will be the 3rd season for Watson.  Third time is the charm, right?  Super Bowl Browns.....Yeah! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

This will be the 3rd season for Watson.  Third time is the charm, right?  Super Bowl Browns.....Yeah! 

I'm not going to be charmed until I see the injury does not affect his passing. I'm not yet convinced any more than when Fat Baker was trying to remain as the starter with his injury. Will the Browns make the same mistake twice out of desperation? They should have found a way to retain Flacco.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They should have found a way to retain Flacco.

Ya know, I just don't think that they entertained that idea.  Flacco is a very old school QB.  As much as I (perhaps you, and others) would like/love that, it doesn't match the current organizational mindset.  They want backup QB's to have traits to more match Watson and the rpo style.  

• Upvote 1