THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎ CBS to do some shake-ups for next season, Esiason, Simms out.

mjp28

CBS to do some shake-ups for next season.   From  Yahoo Sports.

Boomer Esiason and Phil Simms will exit CBS’ long-running “The NFL Today” studio show as part of a revamp that brings former star quarterback Matt Ryan into the program’s line-up.

When viewers next tune in to the show as the NFL season kicks off this fall, they will see Ryan, known mostly for his time with the Atlanta Falcolns, paired with James Brown, Nate Burleson, Bill Cowher and JJ Watt. The programming maneuvers have long been expected, but they are the first at CBS Sports under David Berson, who recently took the reins of the Paramount Global unit

●~~~~~~~~~~●

CBS had been rumored to look at shaking up its "The NFL Today" pregame show. Now, the network is following through on making some changes.

Boomer Esiason and Phil Simms won't return to the show, reports The Athletic's Andrew Marchand. Another former NFL quarterback, Matt Ryan, will join the pregame panel of analysts Bill Cowher, Nate Burleson and J.J. Watt (on a part-time basis) with host James Brown.

Esiason, the former Cincinnati Bengals and New York Jets quarterback, had been on "The NFL Today" for 22 years. He announced on his WFAN radio morning show on Monday that he wouldn't be back.

"I am stepping away from 'The NFL Today' on CBS," Esiason said, while also announcing that he signed an extension with WFAN. "More their decision than maybe mine, but I really thought the Super Bowl was my swan song and I thought the way CBS handled especially us guys out there in Las Vegas, it was amazing."

Esiason  and  Simms out,  Ryan in.

The contracts for both Esiason and Simms had expired, while Burleson and Cowher are presumably being renewed.

Ryan joined CBS during the 2023-24 NFL after being released by the Indianapolis Colts. The 15-year veteran (who played 14 seasons for the Atlanta Falcons) was open to continue his playing career as he called game broadcasts with Andrew Catalon and Tiki Barber, but no team showed interest.

Last week, Ryan officially announced his retirement. Knowing that he was ready to be a full-time broadcaster likely compelled CBS to add him to "The NFL Today." With him, Burleson and Watt, the pregame show now has a younger look with analysts who also engage fans and viewers on social media.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm kind of surprised Bradshaw is coming back... Father Time has really caught up to him, he kind of struggles to participate now. 

Father who? Oh, that guy behind me.😶‍🌫️🪄🕛😁

It's Troy Aikman and Chris Collinsworth - have been intolerable - outside of them, it doesn't matter much....

I've always preferred the FOX pregame show. They keep it light.

Plus, I just can't stand Bill Cowher. Of course, if idiot Modell would have picked him over BB id be singing a different tune🤣

• Upvote 1

• mjp28 unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

★  I've always preferred the FOX pregame show. They keep it light.

Plus, I just can't stand Bill Cowher. Of course, if idiot Modell would have picked him over BB id be singing a different tune🤣

★  I agree with you there Bob,   I go straight to  FOX  for all pregame news and information.  

I'm not surprised in the Eaison or Simms not being picked up after their contracts had expired.

• Upvote 1

Ya know, I never watch pregame shows.  I turn on a football game when it's time for kick-off.  But that's just me.

24 minutes ago, Orion said:

Ya know, I never watch pregame shows.  I turn on a football game when it's time for kick-off.  But that's just me.

I'll turn it on, but I'm usually farting around on the laptop and barely paying attention.

It's usually Terry acting the village idiot and the weekly military story/commercial inside the pregame show and maybe a decent random point by Howie or Michael Straihan. 

Not exactly must-see TV.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

I am the same way.  I might catch the final 5 minutes before the game.

• Like 1

Fuck Boomer.. He was an over paid blow hard...