THE BROWNS BOARD

Teacher Salaries--Discuss

• Axe changed the title to Teacher Salaries--Discuss

They're under paid and it causes the best teachers to seek employment elsewhere. Our country undervalues education, at least part of this country, and it shows. 

And Christ, I couldn't imagine trying to be a teacher in Florida 

I don't think they're underpaid. To be the best teacher it should be a passion not just a paycheck. With that said, I think they get paid fairly.

Also, the education system in a lot of communities is a cess pool of political ideals. Who wants to teach things they don't believe in? A teachers job isn't to worry about math being racist, numbers don't lie, 2 + 2 will always equal 4. Everyone could always use a raise, but the problems with teachers lies in the system.

If you value education then teach about subjects correctly. Stop trying to indoctrinate students and hire teachers that have standards and know how to separate their personal beliefs and lives from education.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jax said:

I don't think they're underpaid. To be the best teacher it should be a passion not just a paycheck. With that said, I think they get paid fairly.

Also, the education system in a lot of communities is a cess pool of political ideals. Who wants to teach things they don't believe in? A teachers job isn't to worry about math being racist, numbers don't lie, 2 + 2 will always equal 4. Everyone could always use a raise, but the problems with teachers lies in the system.

If you value education then teach about subjects correctly. Stop trying to indoctrinate students and hire teachers that have standards and know how to separate their personal beliefs and lives from education.

In other words, only teach things the way I want them to be taught.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jax said:

"You taught about slavery?" "You mentioned gay people exist!?" 

Right, we get it dude. If the school isn't teaching what you want it is indoctrination.

Teachers literally shape our future. We're all better off with an educated society. 

Being dismissive of pay by saying "well it should be your passion" is dumb. Most folks don't work where they're passionate. Some folks are better at the things they're not passionate about. 

We should value teachers higher and that should be reflected in their pay. 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Right, we get it dude. If the school isn't teaching what you want it is indoctrination.

Teachers literally shape our future. We're all better off with an educated society. 

Being dismissive of pay by saying "well it should be your passion" is dumb. Most folks don't work where they're passionate. Some folks are better at the things they're not passionate about. 

Except for the thing about "passion", none of what you said as any bearing on what Jax is talking about.

That is not at all what is meant by indoctrination. Indoctrination is the practice of shaping young highly impressionable minds into a leftist ideology and way of thinking.

That should be evident partly due to the history of hate speech and violence made towards conservative speakers on campuses.

Or were you not aware of that?

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

They're under paid and it causes the best teachers to seek employment elsewhere. Our country undervalues education, at least part of this country, and it shows. 

Undervaluing education can be interpreted in a couple of different ways, not only in the way that you were conditioned to believe.

If I were a flaming liberal, I couldn't imagine teaching in Florida either.

For some reason you mentioned about slavery being taught. 

I'd bet you were taught about slavery in college the same way I was, with a lot of profound omissions.

This didn't happen in real life, but was a skit made in order to have discussion over this issue.

Even though it was a skit, she sure as hell didn't seem to be acting. Black people don't like this gay shit either.

You tell it like it is mamma! "We're paying you to teach history"

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Teachers literally shape our minds. We're all better off with an indoctrinated society.  (Fixed it for you).

5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Just look at those crazy eyes!

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

We value teachers and it does show in their pay, healthcare and retirement.

My main point is it's not pay that prevents them from teaching, it's political bs.

You're still ignorant and immature to understand when someone says passion should be the driving force. I clearly said not JUST pay. However I just realized I'm referencing something you said about the best teachers leaving because of pay. Trying to offer you better insight into something you pulled out of your ass, my bad. Please prove the best teachers are leaving and then prove it's because of pay.

That's why people treat you like a dumbass, you constantly put words in peoples mouth and twist anything they say. If you don't hear what you want you throw a temper tantrum.

7 hours ago, cccjwh said:

In other words, only teach things the way I want them to be taught.

Is this only bad in cases where the parent has views you disagree with? 

5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Teachers literally shape our future.  

Which is exactly the reason I would want my kids to be taught things the way I want them to be taught and not left to the average idiot who graduates with an education degree. They aren't the state's children. I'd wager the majority of education majors that we graduated with were Kony 2012 social media slacktivists.

I don't understand why neoliberals are outraged that conservative people want their children to be raised with similar values to their own. They aren't your children. If you want a drag queen to read to your children or if you want your kid to go to a school that has some antiracist curriculum, by all means, go for it. The state should not be able to tell you that you can't. Likewise, if an evangelical pulls their kid out of public school so that they can "teach the controversy," the state should not step in. 

We're all better off with an educated society.

To a point. Pursuit of higher education has made millennials put off having children, and the US for the first time ever has a fertility rate below the replacement rate. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

Which is exactly the reason I would want my kids to be taught things the way I want them to be taught and not left to the average idiot who graduates with an education degree. They aren't the state's children. I'd wager the majority of education majors that we graduated with were Kony 2012 social media slacktivists.

I don't understand why neoliberals are outraged that conservative people want their children to be raised with similar values to their own. They aren't your children. If you want a drag queen to read to your children or if you want your kid to go to a school that has some antiracist curriculum, by all means, go for it. The state should not be able to tell you that you can't. Likewise, if an evangelical pulls their kid out of public school so that they can "teach the controversy," the state should not step in. 

To a point. Pursuit of higher education has made millennials put off having children, and the US for the first time ever has a fertility rate below the replacement rate. 

Except for the Illegals.

2 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

Who says your last paragraph is necessarily a bad thing?

Taking a kid out of school so parents can teach them their "truth". Great. Lovely. When that kid is an adult with a limited understanding of math, science, a skewed view of history, etc. that's not great. Standards placed across the country on education and advancement are a good thing to create the building blocks for a functional society. 

What is being taught in schools and what LibsOfTikTok is spewing over the Internet to build up hatred are two different things. It's not indoctrination to teach that slavery was a major cause of the civil war, sorry. 

I could never see teaching in Florida and I'd never want to raise a kid there either. But I'm not a resident and a voter there. 

This isn't necessarily addressed to you, but I'll leave off where I started: Teachers are underpaid. And we having a growing base of anti education, anti academic individuals. That's all bad for this country long term. I don't want to hear indoctrination this, neo liberal that, blah blah blah drag queens. It should be alarming a group is so actively pushing for less educated citizens. I greatly value everything I've learned in before undergrad, in undergrad, and my MBA. It's sad to see folks so actively fighting that. 

(And no, college isn't for everyone. Yes, skilled trades folks are intelligent and can be very successful, etc etc etc and whatever else I'll hear about in responses because I didn't cover everything)

• Upvote 1

I honestly have a really high opinion of teachers. It’s a tough gig man, and not everyone’s cut out for it. 

I am pro-education. I am that guy who blindly votes for every school levy. I do some of the dirty work too. It’s not just teachers. It’s coaches, it’s mentors, it’s sponsoring scholarship funds, it’s giving kids’ jobs. It’s a community effort when it’s working on all cylinders. 

I am a fan of “the cannon.” A literary term that boils down to a set of works that is taught to subsequent generations so that we all have shared learning experiences to connect us. Sorta like we all know the ABC song and we all read the Scarlett Letter. Stuff like that. It’s good that the cannon evolves but ideally at a pace that matches the generational turnaround. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Taking a kid out of school so parents can teach them their "truth". Great. Lovely. When that kid is an adult with a limited understanding of math, science, a skewed view of history, etc. that's not great. Standards placed across the country on education and advancement are a good thing to create the building blocks for a functional society. 

What is being taught in schools and what LibsOfTikTok is spewing over the Internet to build up hatred are two different things. It's not indoctrination to teach that slavery was a major cause of the civil war, sorry. 

I could never see teaching in Florida and I'd never want to raise a kid there either. But I'm not a resident and a voter there. 

This isn't necessarily addressed to you, but I'll leave off where I started: Teachers are underpaid. And we having a growing base of anti education, anti academic individuals. That's all bad for this country long term. I don't want to hear indoctrination this, neo liberal that, blah blah blah drag queens. It should be alarming a group is so actively pushing for less educated citizens. I greatly value everything I've learned in before undergrad, in undergrad, and my MBA. It's sad to see folks so actively fighting that. 

(And no, college isn't for everyone. Yes, skilled trades folks are intelligent and can be very successful, etc etc etc and whatever else I'll hear about in responses because I didn't cover everything)

Who exactly is pushing for under-educated people? I ask because you keep bringing it up as if someone out there or any of us are saying that.

If anything is ruining a kids education it's the indoctrination bullshit.

We can talk about slavery all day if you want, I learned about it in school. Who gives a shit? You just can't go through a topic and not bring up your slant for your white supremacy point of view. No one is trying not to teach about it.

Did you see the average pay for teachers? That's a good wage and they have healthcare and they get a pension.

My kids are getting into teaching. My oldest graduated valedictorian and just graduated college and is going back for his masters. My daughter is going to college to teach deaf children. If I didn't think they earned a fair wage I would have directed my kids in a different direction. Myself not knowing much about teaching deaf children, I did try to redirect my daughter but she has a true passion for it.

Seriously, all schools across this country don't teach the same things the same way. Luckily my kids happened to have a great school program but it wasn't too filled with political garbage.

Thinking the right or conservatives only do things out of hate or all the ignorant reasons you list is an immature view.

"(And no, college isn't for everyone. Yes, skilled trades folks are intelligent and can be very successful, etc etc etc and whatever else I'll hear about in responses because I didn't cover everything)" -Woody

This right here is typical woody. It shows not only how insecure you are but that you don't speak honestly and don't dare ponder other view points. Always worried and trying to limit responses.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I'd argue that many of the people going all the way through the American education system have exactly the same deficits. Case in point is one of the protest leaders at Columbia begging the university to feed them. Here's her graduate student profile. 🤡

image.thumb.png.bbdcbfd51ee98087ad0551204a32b8cf.png

https://english.columbia.edu/content/johannah-king-slutzky

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Agree with you on the slavery and teachers having higher pay topics. I think you're downplaying the drag nonsense. A colleague of mine pulled his kids out of Hawken School because they were having drag story hour events. You are conflating anti-education with anti-indoctrination. No one here, not even cal, would want their kids to be uneducated. But I'm pretty sure everyone here, including you, wouldn't want their kid to end up like this Johannah idiot above. 

You're an engineer. Respectfully, that's still a decent field that shouldn't really require any DEI bullshit. Learn calc, learn applied math, go out and create stuff. 

Unfortunately, medicine isn't nearly as shielded from that nonsense. In the US, medical education is pushing the idea that if a child is saying they are transgender, pushing them toward the path of hormone blockers is both acceptable and encouraged. If you are a resident, if you have moral qualms about doing that, and you speak out against that, you are opening up yourself to retaliation and possibly getting expelled from your program. Every medical school now has a DEI office, run by woke ideologues, that you run the risk of pissing off. So, sadly, everyone I know in pediatrics who went through it with that opinion just kept their mouth shut. It's become too politicized.

If you are asian or white and you score in the 90th percentile on your MCAT, you are less likely to get into medical school than a black or hispanic person who scores in the 75th percentile. Instead of raising the standard for people of all races, about 10-20 years ago, schools have instead tried to recruit classes that match the racial makeup of the entire country. There simply aren't enough black and hispanic applicants who have comparable test scores to whites and asians. Unfortunately, this has resulted in many black and hispanic students matriculating in the place of a more qualified white or asian applicant. And in a result that no one could have predicted, now there are a disproportionate number of blacks and hispanics failing out of residency programs. 

I would guess that most people here are against the politicization of academia rather than education itself. I'm probably the most anti-higher education person on this board. Getting an education for STEM fields is mostly okay, but clearly there is something wrong when half of college grads end up working high school level jobs

I'm proud of what I accomplished in school. You should be proud of what you accomplished, too. Learning and teaching are things that should be celebrated. It is very fulfilling and lucrative for a select few of us. Unfortunately, it's mostly a racket for the rest.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

schools have instead tried to recruit classes that match the racial makeup of the entire country.

Everything well said, but I also believe that not only is this a lame excuse used to pander to a certain race but the entire concept is against progress.

We should be working our way to unite to where what color doesn't matter, just qualifications and character. Always the focus is on race and skin color.

in our public eduction system (mn) - the school districts enjoy adequate funding each year

trouble is, the reading, math writing scores dont reflect a decent enough return on what is expected by its own standards 

and of course its investment (tax dollars) 

the left (leadership / lawmakers) thinks that test scores failure / shortfall is due to, you guessed it - not enough money, go figure?

solution?

home school with a professional educator who is NOT beheld by teachers unions 

and your child is not subject to the societal sewer until he / she is of age and can manuever through it as an adult. 

I dare you pecker to refute that  

Just to guess But maybe 10 or 15 percent of teachers Are True inspirations To their students. 70% can probably Slide by with reasonably bright and accepting kids. And another 15% are such assholes they actually deter learning.

I guess that it's also just as likely that the 15% that are great are that way regardless of what level degree they have. Like most everything else you either have a talent for it or you don't.

WSS

13 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

I'd argue that many of the people going all the way through the American education system have exactly the same deficits. Case in point is one of the protest leaders at Columbia begging the university to feed them. Here's her graduate student profile. 🤡

image.thumb.png.bbdcbfd51ee98087ad0551204a32b8cf.png

https://english.columbia.edu/content/johannah-king-slutzky

Agree with you on the slavery and teachers having higher pay topics. I think you're downplaying the drag nonsense. A colleague of mine pulled his kids out of Hawken School because they were having drag story hour events. You are conflating anti-education with anti-indoctrination. No one here, not even cal, would want their kids to be uneducated. But I'm pretty sure everyone here, including you, wouldn't want their kid to end up like this Johannah idiot above. 

You're an engineer. Respectfully, that's still a decent field that shouldn't really require any DEI bullshit. Learn calc, learn applied math, go out and create stuff. 

Unfortunately, medicine isn't nearly as shielded from that nonsense. In the US, medical education is pushing the idea that if a child is saying they are transgender, pushing them toward the path of hormone blockers is both acceptable and encouraged. If you are a resident, if you have moral qualms about doing that, and you speak out against that, you are opening up yourself to retaliation and possibly getting expelled from your program. Every medical school now has a DEI office, run by woke ideologues, that you run the risk of pissing off. So, sadly, everyone I know in pediatrics who went through it with that opinion just kept their mouth shut. It's become too politicized.

If you are asian or white and you score in the 90th percentile on your MCAT, you are less likely to get into medical school than a black or hispanic person who scores in the 75th percentile. Instead of raising the standard for people of all races, about 10-20 years ago, schools have instead tried to recruit classes that match the racial makeup of the entire country. There simply aren't enough black and hispanic applicants who have comparable test scores to whites and asians. Unfortunately, this has resulted in many black and hispanic students matriculating in the place of a more qualified white or asian applicant. And in a result that no one could have predicted, now there are a disproportionate number of blacks and hispanics failing out of residency programs. 

I would guess that most people here are against the politicization of academia rather than education itself. I'm probably the most anti-higher education person on this board. Getting an education for STEM fields is mostly okay, but clearly there is something wrong when half of college grads end up working high school level jobs

I'm proud of what I accomplished in school. You should be proud of what you accomplished, too. Learning and teaching are things that should be celebrated. It is very fulfilling and lucrative for a select few of us. Unfortunately, it's mostly a racket for the rest.

I'm sure she will have a lucrative career.😂