Browns sign QB Jacob Sirmon

Browns sign QB Jacob Sirmon

May 12, 2024 at 02:02 PM

BrownsStripe

•  
  •  
  •  

051224_sirmon

The Browns on Sunday signed QB Jacob Sirmon.

Sirmon, who finished his collegiate career at Northern Colorado, participated in this past weekend's Browns rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Sirmon attended the University of Washington and Central Michigan before transferring to Northern Colorado in 2022. As a senior in 2023, Sirmon completed 133-of-236 passes for 1,355 yards and eight touchdowns.

Browns sign QB Jacob Sirmon (clevelandbrowns.com)

• Thanks 2

Sirmon is a very interesting player - can't wait til he starts for the Browns.

Big, smart guy, solid character.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/jacob-sirmon-closes-journeyman-career-in-big-sky-conference-at-northern-colorado/article_d7e95834-3a5a-11ee-8ce5-fb32470077a7.html

Jacob Sirmon, son of Griz national champ, looks to end on high note at Northern Colorado

• Haha 1

Remember Poe...The guy who was hooked on some 3rd string QB that the Browns had for a year or two?  Where's he been?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

Remember Poe...The guy who was hooked on some 3rd string QB that the Browns had for a year or two?  Where's he been?

Kevin Hogan.

Jesus, remember the 20+ page Saquon Barkley thread he had in the run-up to the 2018 draft? In fact, the months leading up to the Browns drafting Captain Cheesecakes and Denzel Ward was probably the busiest this board has ever been. 

18 minutes ago, Orion said:

Hey, now - I'm not hooked, I just don't like the other two. It's a thinly veiled comment on that.

17 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Hey, now - I'm not hooked, I just don't like the other two. It's a thinly veiled comment on that.

We are all well aware of how much you value character... on THIS forum. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Kevin Hogan.    

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

can't wait til he starts for the Browns.

So you want the Browns to lose? Noted. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Sirmon is a very interesting player - can't wait til he starts for the Browns.

Big, smart guy, solid character.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/jacob-sirmon-closes-journeyman-career-in-big-sky-conference-at-northern-colorado/article_d7e95834-3a5a-11ee-8ce5-fb32470077a7.html

Jacob Sirmon, son of Griz national champ, looks to end on high note at Northern Colorado

cal. go home

• Haha 1

Camp arm?  Maybe, but I think the Browns are still looking for that developmental QB.

After Winston who is the clear #2 QB, everybody else isn't what I would call developmental.  We aren't looking at Huntley as a long term player.  For whatever reason, DTR is on the ropes in that regard.  I think Sirmon has a chance to stick.

Obviously it will boil down to how he shows in camp.

IMO Huntly was signed to become a trade chip.  As teams get in to camp some will come to the realization they aren't good enough behind their starting QB and will start looking for other options.  Huntley has played and some team might be willing to toss a 5th rounder our way to secure his services.  One could insert the name DTR in to the above situation.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2024 at 4:56 PM, tiamat63 said:

So you want the Browns to lose? Noted. 

so you are saying that the 49ners wanted to lose when they started Brock Purdy?

you are saying the Patriots wanted to lose when they started Brady?

You are saying the Browns wanted to lose when they started Brian Sipe? etc etc etc.

Maybe he could be a starter the next few years - he seems to have serious skills.

But you are saying he's a loser qb?

duly noted.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, syd said:

cal. go home

I am home - til we go to Yellowstone later this summer with friends.

Retired and having a wonderful time.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Maybe he could be a starter the next few years - he seems to have serious skills.

duly noted.

Nothing says serious skills like transferring from the U of Washington to Northern Colorado I Have Zero Idea What Their Nickname Is and throwing for 1355 yards and eight touchdowns passing in his senior year, but hey, you might be right. 

It's obvious from his photo that he has copious amounts of character. He has that certain characteristic you like. 

I'm certainly not pinning any hopes on this Sirmon guy that they invited to come to the rookie festivities.  But he's got good size.  And he did enough to get signed.  He's got a couple of development QB's ahead of him, one that we drafted.  His odds are long but he's currently on our team and I wish the guy well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

lol you know what i meant. But have fun

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

so you are saying that the 49ners wanted to lose when they started Brock Purdy?

you are saying the Patriots wanted to lose when they started Brady?

You are saying the Browns wanted to lose when they started Brian Sipe? etc etc etc.

duly noted.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/browns-digest/news/cleveland-browns-resign-kicker-lucas-havrisik-release-rookie-minicamp-standout-jacob-sirmon

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Orion said:

So much for our new starting QB  :)  

I guess so.  Looks like they added another kicker to compete with Cade York for the practice squad kicker spot.  

7 hours ago, Orion said:

So much for our new starting QB  :)  

LOL. yeah, didn't see that one coming.

Especially since....

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-called-out-ota-debut/

'

Former NFL receiver James Jones recently called out Watson, doubting he can look like the Pro Bowl passer he once was with the Houston Texans.

“If we’re really, truly keeping it 100, Deshaun Watson has been one of the worst quarterbacks in our league,” Jones said. “And I can say that because we have seen how special he could be. Since he’s got to the Cleveland Browns, there have been a lot of ‘what are you doing’ plays. We can say eventually, the Houston dude will come back. But maybe the Houston dude is gone.”

'

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

LOL. yeah, didn't see that one coming.

Especially since....

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-called-out-ota-debut/

'

Former NFL receiver James Jones recently called out Watson, doubting he can look like the Pro Bowl passer he once was with the Houston Texans.

“If we’re really, truly keeping it 100, Deshaun Watson has been one of the worst quarterbacks in our league,” Jones said. “And I can say that because we have seen how special he could be. Since he’s got to the Cleveland Browns, there have been a lot of ‘what are you doing’ plays. We can say eventually, the Houston dude will come back. But maybe the Houston dude is gone.”

As usual  cal only sees what he wants to see. Not a surprise from experiences the past several years anywhere on the BB.

However I was expecting better, like multiple answers to himself. He's falling down on his job.🤫

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, calfoxwc said:

Don't mess with the Bison. 😁🦬

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2024 at 2:31 PM, Flugel said:

I guess so.  Looks like they added another kicker to compete with Cade York for the practice squad kicker spot.  

I have been thinking about this and am not so sure these guys are competing for a PS position.  With the new kick-off rules, kickers are going to be more involved in the actual defense of that play.  I don't think the team wants Hopkins having to run around covering kicks.  He is older and has a history of pulling leg muscles when he does.

Since it looks like a few more starter types will play on kick-offs, you won't need as many traditional special teams players like gunners, so teams could opt to keep a 2nd kicker on the team.  A younger, more limber kicker whose job will be to kick on kick-offs and make tackles if needed, the other to do the place kicking.

New rules might require new thinking.

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

New rules might require new thinking.

I was actually thinking that the kicker would have less tackling to do under the new kickoff rules since he'd be the only one set way back.  He'd be the last hope...and we know how useless kickers are as the last hope.  But I'm anxious to see the preseason start for to see how teams place their kickoffs as opposed to kicking it through the end zone.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 6:38 PM, Orion said:

I was actually thinking that the kicker would have less tackling to do under the new kickoff rules since he'd be the only one set way back.  He'd be the last hope...and we know how useless kickers are as the last hope.  But I'm anxious to see the preseason start for to see how teams place their kickoffs as opposed to kicking it through the end zone.

I don't know all the rules to this, but if you kick it out of the endzone isn't the ball placed at the 35-40 yard line?

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know all the rules to this, but if you kick it out of the endzone isn't the ball placed at the 35-40 yard line?

It was going to be the 35 but in the 11th hour they changed it to the 30.  I think I'd probably just try to kick it through the back of the end zone, but I'd try some 'stuff' during the preseason to see what happens.