THE BROWNS BOARD

Suggestion on 1st Downs

Flugel

Today would be an ideal day to use the screen pass alot on 1st downs to offset the pass rush Balt will want to throw at Quinn. Hopefully our intended receiver won't be T Suggs again this year on such a play. I could see Harrison or Davis making it happen if there's daylight. I wouldn't even be opposed to Cribbs in that old Notre Dame (Rocket Ismail) screen pass on the perimeter.

Rationale:

If we're trying to prevent false starts on 1st downs for an overwhelmed lineman or 2 - this seems like a strategy that could help our line. If it works, it could open up better things downfield later IMO.

- Tom F.

Guest ATENEARS

One of the biggest false whinings that has taken place on this message forum the past two weeks was the cry about running it on first & second down. First of all, we seldom ran it consecutively on first and second down, and when we did it was way more effective than when we didn't. What kills us on first down is incomplete pass plays, negative yardage on pass plays, penalties, and sacks.

Gain something on first down, move forward, and we will have a better chance of converting on third down.

Today would be an ideal day to use the screen pass alot on 1st downs to offset the pass rush Balt will want to throw at Quinn. Hopefully our intended receiver won't be T Suggs again this year on such a play. I could see Harrison or Davis making it happen if there's daylight. I wouldn't even be opposed to Cribbs in that old Notre Dame (Rocket Ismail) screen pass on the perimeter.

Rationale:

If we're trying to prevent false starts on 1st downs for an overwhelmed lineman or 2 - this seems like a strategy that could help our line. If it works, it could open up better things downfield later IMO.

- Tom F.

While I agree, those only work a few times a game. They aren't that hard to diagnose, especially if you try to run them 6-7 times a game.

A draw will probably do a better job. Play action only works if you actually run the ball off a delayed handoff on a regular basis.

I would prefer the sprint draw and the shovel pass. Then again, those might be easy to diagnose too. I think that to beat the Ravens, the Browns really need to open it up and come out swinging. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Quinn with the DBs squatting the short zones (thinking he's only got time for three step drops) but I think that some counter action and crossing patterns might help. I think they're going to have to max protect a lot which means only three man routes but it's the only way.

The Ravens' DBs are unorthodox and usually guys can get open but they need quick decisions by #10 to make that work.

Guest ATENEARS
I would prefer the sprint draw and the shovel pass.

I was thinking the same thing. Get this team selling out and just keep shoveling, dinking, or ramming it right up their ass. Play on your toes, not on your heels. Expect the all-out blitz, see it coming, pick it up and then abuse it.

Kick this dame thing off already!

While I agree, those only work a few times a game. They aren't that hard to diagnose, especially if you try to run them 6-7 times a game.

A draw will probably do a better job. Play action only works if you actually run the ball off a delayed handoff on a regular basis.

That's a good point Ball and I was hoping someone would make it. If we can get this to work a couple times early - then it can open up other things LIKE the draw so we don't have to overuse the screen. ALOT of teams that effectivey kill aggressive pass rushes with screens, swing passes and even counter-traps inside - tend to find more time to throw the ball when they've forced the opposing defense to adjust. For example, when Pitt opened up against Tennessee - they did so remembering how often #7 got sacked against Tenn last year (even w/out Haynesworth). Consequently, Pittsburgh KILLED them with their short passing game which opened up so many things on a day they couldn't even average 2 yards a carry. Ironically, neither of Tenn's first 2 opponents were able to average much more than 2 yards a carry; which sort of backfired on their ability to defend the pass. I call this a LACK of flexibility in the game planning dept - which is what I'm hoping we can catch the Ratbirds doing in the absence of rex Ryan.

I would actually like to see our WildDawg encorporate this screen because defenses will be attacking the line of scrimmage the second they see Cribbs. Who's kidding who - ya know? Cribbs was a college QB so I'm pretty confident he can't execute a screen pass at least.

- Tom F.

If we come out with a plan of "establishing the run", then Dabol is officially on the watch list.

After watching AFC Playbook on NFL network he's already on my list. I noticed during the game last week that a lot of Quinns completions are to stationary targets. When they were showing the Browns they showed 3 receivers running the exact same pattern, run straight down the field, stop and turn and face the qb, Quinn sacked. They said they did this a lot. Then the NFL network guys nicknamed our offense "The Flying Mangini's" and were really laughing it up on how conservative were are.

Dabol makes M. Carthon look like Bill Walsh.

Lets use the full playbook were told Quinn's run every play that Tom Brady has run and this guy suppose to be so smart and all.

"The Flying Manginis"

Yea, I saw that from Brian Baldinger. He's says the Browns are a "low flying act." Open it up, I say.

I usually don't mind passing on 1st down, but I don't see many teams blitzing on 1st down. I don't know how well screen passes will do in those situations. What really gets me are the running plays on 2nd and 15. That crap has to stop.

-Al

Im sorry but I cant agree with Cribbs at all on offense.

Cribbs is awesome at what he does ST,he has fooled nobody on offense and its just confusing when he's in the backfield.

While that's not such a bad point Danamal, you're going to see more of the WildDawg so why not add 1 new wrinkle that makes it less predictable but more difficult to stop. If we just direct snap to Cribbs vrs defenses as fgood as Balt or Minn, they don't play pass and 11 guys are pursuing the football with NFL speed to do so.

I'm turning over a new leaf here - let's try to get back to rationale of my subject heading. That os to HELP a struggling o-line on the road so we're not put into too many 1st and 15 situations following false starts from overwhelmed olinemen trying. When you add crowd noise to the challenge of macthign quickness off the ball - it would be nice to have something they're not expecting.

We get a few of these to work - and they'll have to adjust on their pass rush agression or feel like the Tenn Titans did on their opening night when they had Pitt's running game under 2 yards a carry while surrenderign a career best passign yardage day to the clumsy basterd.

- Tom F.

Yea, I saw that from Brian Baldinger. He's says the Browns are a "low flying act." Open it up, I say.

I usually don't mind passing on 1st down, but I don't see many teams blitzing on 1st down. I don't know how well screen passes will do in those situations. What really gets me are the running plays on 2nd and 15. That crap has to stop.

-Al

Forget the blitz for a second and just understand Baltimore has guys that put a hand down that can give some of our oline serious trouble in pass protection. You add crowd noise to that challenge and now you're looking at false starts on the road. I'm not inventing this thought - I've seen it in our past when we've struggled to protect passers on the road.

That said, we could always try to pound the rock at Ngata on first down so we can hear people fussing about why we were in so many 2nd 10 or 3rd and 10 situations.

I would LOVE to open it up beyond Robert FREAKIN Royal. Trust me! That said, we're gonna have to find a way to get them to refrain from heavy pass rushes every single down or the idea of having our QB perform any passes beyond the 3 step drops are unrealistic. That's why I'd like us to do 1 thing that forces a defense to adjust their game plans. When we don't do this - you see what you've seen in weeks 1 and 2. However, if we do this with some degree of success - we just might have moe time to pass.

Folks, it looked to me like we put a TON of work in on the screen passes this preseason so why not add some of the things we did WELL to our game plans? We could always just stick with the game plans from weeks 1 and 2 instead of considering my rationale for adding the 1 wrinkle we've actually worked at for a numbe of weeks.

- Tom F.

Tom,

Maybe its been the playcalling like two wildcats in a row on the six followed by an incomplete pass and another field goal.

The point is wrinkles can be good if you get the basics down first and im not sure weve done that yet.

Completely agree BUT I think the WildDawg's biggest obstacle is predictability. NOBODY has to think pass when Cribbs has lined up behind Center so you've got 11 defenders knowing they only need to play run. When you do this against defenses that are GOOD against the run - they don't need to think before they stuff it. NOW, if you got guys missing blocks up front and nobdy thinking short pass on the backside - all you need is 1 guy with wheels that can ctach the ball to do some damage.

I don't think OUR WildDawg will work til it's less predictable. That being the case, I like it about as much as you do Danamal. We just need to realize - we're gonna see it anyway so let's hope for 1 new wrinkle or it's the same outcome we're growing tired of.

It's REALLY dangerous - when you allow defenders like Ray Lewis to play with instinct because we';re inacapble of challenging their thinking.

- Tom F.

I am all for opening up the play book and throwing everything and anything that might produce yards and points.

I think there may be a couple of reasons this hasn't happened...

First, I am not sure BQ has been ready for that....but more on point, i am not sure Lewis is suited to draws and screen passes.

Today he won't be in the mix, so one line plunge after another might not be on the menu.

This might be the game where the staff gets the hint that lewis may be a big part of the reason we are stifled on O.

Rationale:

- Tom F.

I agree we could mix that in along with some quick hitting WR screens to cribbs or furry.... But we still have to run up the middle/off tackle to keep Balt Honest or we are doomed. I don't think we beat them by throwing the ball 40 times.. Quinn will get killed if we abandon the run.

Rationale:

- Tom F.

I'm changing my suggestion to PUNT the ball on first down.

I've always based my predictions on my heart over my brain, which doesn't make me a sports Nostradamus by any means. Right now, I can't even keep a straight face if I try to argue 1 QB over the other. It's like trying to decide if you prefer the flu or food poisoning and then arguing with people over your choice. Umm, why would you? Let's see: do I want the smart guy that needs binoculars to see receivers farther than 5 yards downfield or do I want the dumb guy that thinks 3 Xs are outnumbered by 1 O? If that wasn't enough, he actually got sacked by a blade of grass. Trust me, I got treated to 2 replays of that Philcox flashback.

We should have already known if Quinn was the answer or not by now. This was a colossal screwup by the last regime the split second the Cinderella story hit an early midnight in November of 2007. The impact? Sanchez was on our doorstep in round 1 this year and these franchise QBs haven't exactly grown on trees for those in need over the years.

What REALLY entrenched me in Quinn's corner is that DA just kept regressing to the point of Quinn potentially offering the hope DA was no longer capable of providing. Even if it was just an exaggerated idea off his first start. I can assure you that was a much better feeling about where this franchise COULD be heading vrs where it is now. For example, DA gets another stage in Baltimore with ZERO pressure/anxiety after the first act and he throws 3 INTs in just 2 quarters of football. You can spin that anyway you need to and if you say it's any better than suck and swallow - you're not being honest.

The good news is Vinny Testaverde is only 46 years old and I think Don Strock is only about 64.

- Tom F

Archived