THE BROWNS BOARD

My choice for next Browns Head coach is...

Guest mz.

Now that we've (well, most of us) put the QB controversy to rest, it seems like as good a time as any to discuss the replacement for scapegoat #2, Romeo Crennel.

My choice would be Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo.

Innovative, fiery, and smart. Three things our current buffoon ain't.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever it is...it needs to be someone who isn't "Flavor Of The Month."

By that I mean...we tabbed Homely-O because he was fresh off the Patriots SB Championship and we were hopeing we could install a 3-4 and become New England V.2.

That NEVER works. Get someone with their own plan and own ideas and quit trying to ride the coattails of some other team.

Doug

I've been through too much with Schottenheimer to ever be able to embrace him again, but that's me.

I would take Cowher in a cocaine heartbeat, but he's not coming here.

Someone Tomlinesque would be perfect...perhaps we can consult the Rooneys. icon_e_wink.gif

Man, I hate the Steelers.

I'd be very happy with Spagnuolo.

Then again, I'd be happy with Singletary. The position we are hurting the most at, is LB, whether it be a lack of talent, or that the talent doesnt see the field. I'd love to have a crystal ball and know that taking a gamble on a guy like Singletary would pay off, but I just think he's too green (as a HC), obviously.

If last nights game isn't evidence that we are completely lost, hopeless, or clueless on the 3-4, I don't know what is. When we pressured #6, he didn't make the throws. You can't demand/expect that 400lb Shaun Rogers be our only pass rush. The guy is a beast, and I totally love what he brings to our D (fear & intensity which is otherwise absent), but come on. In that regard, I'd love to have a tested 4-3 guy (Spagnuolo) come in and build us a Defense. Wimbley & Hall on the ends (I don't think either are capable of being drop back into coverage LB's anymore and are typically in a 3 pt anyway.) Rogers & Smith with Williams rotating at DT's and DQ, Orr, & Bell (when healthy) as our LBs' (hell, I dont know... Davis & McGinest aren't cutting it - even though Willie made the best hit of the night thus ensuring him another 12 seasons worth of starts on a RAC-led team).

I never said I hated Cowher....I hate the steelers, chuck icon_e_wink.gif . I've always liked Cowher's attitude and u can see that Tomlin is kinda in that same mold. I want a fiery guy that won't take shit from some overpaid player and can motivate players to do their jobs. I'm a big hater on the coach that seems to try to be buddy buddy with his players...it don't work. I want someone that can motivate and get in someone's ass when its obvious they screwed up. When's the last time u saw Crennel do that?

I would go for Cowher even though he as an ex-Brown player and coach opts for the frigging Steelers. Not sure if Randy pandy Lerner has the dough to afford. The Redskins were ready to throw the Federal Reserve at him to coach. I think he likes his job at CBS. He only works during the football season and is home with the family during the week. Unlike our current coach who instead of watching game film and breaking down the opposing team, is viewing reruns of the Addams Family eating a large pizza, drinking several liters of coke and munching on donuts. What about promoting a coach inside the Browns organization? NOT!!!!!!!!!!.

It's been beaten to death, but the two biggest candidates for that is Marty and Cowher.

Man, when the Chin was the coach of them Stillers, yinz couldn't stand him. Now yinz will roll the red carpet out for him in a Parma second.

Regards

.... an`at

Hell if he was a bad coach we would of loved him in pittsburg. LMAO, we are suppose to hate a good coach that is in our division.

Guest Masters

Squeeler Chuck just don't get it. CLE fans only hated Cowher while he was walking the sidelines for PIT. He ain't w/ PIT no more, so CLE fans don't care. If he was coaching the Browns, he'd be loved (at least for a while. that would stop if he was losing). But there is only one man I can think of in football CLE fans will always hate, and his name is John Elway.

Squeeler Chuck just don't get it. CLE fans only hated Cowher while he was walking the sidelines for PIT. He ain't w/ PIT no more, so CLE fans don't care. If he was coaching the Browns, he'd be loved (at least for a while. that would stop if he was losing). But there is only one man I can think of in football CLE fans will always hate, and his name is John Elway.

I hate no football player in history more than that toothless neanderthal cheap shot artist Jack Lambert.

Doug

Guest Masters

I hate no football player in history more than that toothless neanderthal cheap shot artist Jack Lambert.

Doug

Okay, there is always him

Guest Masters
Better yet, how about Jim Johnson the Eagles DC. I love those aggressive blitz packages.

He is a great D-coordinator. Then again that last Eagles coordinator to get a job hasn't faired to well up in Minny. He was a darn good O-coordinator in Philly, but....

No, no, no on Marty. That move would reak of desperation. Reaching back 20 years to recapture past glory? No thank you.

I don't quite understand why there is interest in him. He didn't do so well in Cleveland the last time (although he was well liked).

For those of you who think he's a good choice (again)...is it because our FO has changed or has something about his style changed?

Yea, because going to AFC Championship games with virtually no passing game is horrible. icon_rolleyes.gif

Marty and Cowher are the two best proven coaches out there. Like dude said, I'd rather lose in January than not even play in January.

Guest Aloysius
Better yet, how about Jim Johnson the Eagles DC. I love those aggressive blitz packages.

He is a great D-coordinator. Then again that last Eagles coordinator to get a job hasn't faired to well up in Minny. He was a darn good O-coordinator in Philly, but....

Childress wasn't even given play-calling duties when he was OC in Philly. By contrast, Jim Johnson pretty much is Head Coach-Defense, with Andy Reid running the offense.

The bigger problem with Johnson is he's too old (67). But Spagnuolo's a Johnson protege, so he'd bring the same style of defense to Cleveland.

We dont have what the steelers have and thats a hands on owner randy lerner aint no rooney and is not a football man with a winning history like the rooneys nor does randy even possess good decision making skills as to whom runs the team personally i wish lerner would sell the browns to someone who is a hands on guy who loves the browns and the game of football in general...

The Lerners have proven beyond doubt over 10 yrs that they are absolutely incapable of turning coordinators into winning head coaches and i for one will be extremely disappointed if the browns dont pay up and grab an already proven experienced coach with good evaluation skills and self motivated to win...i like cowher or marty at this point even lane kiffin but no more college coaches or coordinators please!

Now that we've (well, most of us) put the QB controversy to rest, it seems like as good a time as any to discuss the replacement for scapegoat #2, Romeo Crennel.

My choice would be Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo.

Innovative, fiery, and smart. Three things our current buffoon ain't.

Just a question: If Phil Savage chooses a Kam Wimbley over a Justin Tuck on draft day - are we setting up Spags for the same level of success? The reason the Giants are good is because they are LOADED at pass rushing, RB, WR, oline, secondary and even freakin kicker Youmeanbasterd goes down and his replacement? 1st round pick Kiwanuka. Last year they were 6 deep at RB so they could afford to let Ryan Powell go and be a superstar in Green Bay. They got Jacobs, Ward, Bradshaw and Droughns in the hole. At WR, Hixon would be our best WR today and he can't even get on the field much in NY. Your BEST franchises today are there because they have GOOD front offices. Does it matter who coaches in Pittsburgh? They always OUTDRAFT us so they're less overwhelmed when they get injured. Their FAs come in as backups like Mewelde Moore, Nate Washington, Byrons Leftfoot, etc.

Coughlin NEVER was a post season success when he worked as a dual functioning HC and GM. I have no idea who their GM is in NY but look at the TALENT levels they have without overpaying. They paid top dollar for Arrington and got burned. Now they gave a raise to Plex and that's backfired eversince as Steve Smith a draftee has quietly become the receptions leader in operation move the chains on 3rd downs in 2008. Smith was their leading receiver in last year's post season too while Burress got all the headlines as usual.

We overpay for FAs that come here and lay eggs or get injured so it ALWAYS gets back to WHO are we drafting? We're losing in the front office so we can change Coordinators and Head Coaches non-stop but at some point you have to ask are we finding and signing the RIGHT character in Cleveland?

This isn't year #1, year #2, year #3 of the Savage plan - it's year #4. I gotta believe even Spagnola wouldn't be able to play chess with pawns. I honestly didn't see 1 guy besdides Willie looking like they wanted to tackle anyone Thursday.

This doesn't mean I LIKE RAC or want him here any longer. It just means I think we're getting beat as high as the owner/GM tandem. I'm learning Savage isn't ready to be THE guy and the best example I can give you is the following players and coaches all got hefty raises before getting injured or laying eggs or both:

Denise Northcutt, Orpheus Roye, Andra Davis, Derek Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Leigh Bodden, Ryan "AWOL" Tucker, Todd Granthom and the much maligned Romeo Crennel.

If I'm a SMART owner I ask: "what did I get in return for opening my wallet to any of the following? Don't be as SHALLOW as saying guys got injured and it's NOT their fault - GRASP what happens when you put all your marbles into free agency after promising you'd improve the draft for better continuity for the franchise. Take a look at all the SHIT we overpaid:

Trent FREAKING Dilfer - You gotta be kidding me.

Antonio Bryant - thought he was good BUT most people saw him the way they see BE today

Joe J - how many starts has he missed in 3 years now?

Donte Stallworth - there's a reason this is his 4th or 5th team and he'll be on his 6th in 09.

LeCharles Bentley -highest FA signing ever for the Center position

Corey Williams - a second round pick would have played for less

Jason Fisk - highest contract he ever had - worst performance to show for it

Robaire Smith - LOVED what he did but now that he's injured - our draftees SUCK.

Ted Washington - How many 38 year olds with 50 " waistes are ready for their best ball?

Matt Stewart - Out of football right now right?

Kenny Wright - preferred marijuana to football - horrible job there.

Eric Steinbach - one of my FAVORITE signings but injured right?

Jamal Lewis - was there a reason his first team got impatient? Think so suddenly.

Antwaan Peek - More like Peakaboo - he's dressed for 1 or 2 games tops prolly.

Gary Baxter - Admired his fight to come back but his salary ranked in the top 3 on our team.

Willie McGinest - Good outing Thursday BUT how many games has his wornout body missed?

Derek Anderson - Dumb Ass was a better player when his market value was a bag of stale potato chips.

------ these weren't TINY contracts folks. They're diversions to hide how poorly we DRFATED dline, pass rushers and LBers for a 3-4 scheme Savage wanted us to use so bad.

All these hot shots and the BEST player on our team today is Josh Cribbs. Nobody offers MORE to this team in effort or production.

To THIS day our fans always refuse to hold GMs like Policy or Savage the least bit accountable. A couple years ago - everyone was so certain that all we needed to do was change OCs and all our problems were over. A couple years before that - everything was Butch Davis' fault. A couple years before that it was ONLY Chris Palmer's fault. Guess what? Problems don't START at middle management if Upper Management has the FIRST clue. RAC and our Coordinators are just Middle Management. Savage and Lerner need to WEAR more accountability than we annually given them. For ONCE, set your Head Coach up for success and DRAFT players worth keeping. Lener NEEDS to hire the right GM and the opie "Aw Shucks" show just isn't doing it for me.

Quinn & Cribbs are the pillars of this team but why does EVERY season have to feel like it's 1999? We're just SUPPOSED to just feel lucky we have a team wearing our colors and getting rich off a storied history/tradition they aren't even CLOSE to emulating. They're missing by a DA touch pass, whic equates to a country mile IMO. Get us a GM that UNDERSTANDS how to draft people instead of overpaying people that will spend more time wearing blue jeans on game day. We can sit here and BLAME RAC for 100% of the problems because he IS largley responsible BUT we ALSO have to look at WHO our GM pays more money to when it comes time to decide who gets the carries between Harrison and Lewis or even Quinn and DA, etc, etc. etc. Can't the same be said for WHY Willie and Wimbley play more than Alex Hall? Can't the same be said for WHY I gotta see more of Andra Davis looking like a Houdini Rabbitt than a Leon Williams who IMPRESSED me in 2007? I don't SEE a good marriage between HC and GM and scapegoating 100% of that to HC - only treats 1 of many symptoms. RAC does suck but that's NOT my #1 concern. It's WHO isleading this business they want to pass off as the Cleveland Browns tradition.

- Tom F.

I think we're a cornerback and Rey M. away from a terrific defense.

I want an exciting, smart, dynamic young coach. I really am a Lane Kiffin fan and he really is a Brady Quinn fan, as we know. Along with a serious DC, I'd be all in favor of that.

I would've hired Kiffin right after the Raiduhs dumped him just to have around for the inevitable failings off Romeo. I think that's the kind of guy that we need and the kind of guy who is going to be successful in the league these days. The young, energetic coaches are the ones having success right away.

Archived