THE BROWNS BOARD

Tipster: Anderson will "get the nod" against Bengals

OconRecon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...rter-wednesday/

Mangini will name a starter Wednesday

Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2009 8:58 AM ET

Apparently, Browns coach Eric Mangini has learned a little something from his Week One attempt to prevent anyone from knowing the identity of the starting quarterback.

Everyone knew.

So, this time around, Mangini isn't even going to try. Mangini said Monday that he'll announce the decision to the media on Wednesday.

And the decision apparently won't be driven by which of the guys is the best long-term fit, but by which one of them is more likely to deliver a win against the Bengals on Sunday.

"What I'm looking at it is who I think gives us the best chance to win the next game," Mangini said. "That's the most important thing, and I think both guys did some things on Sunday that were positive, but when you have turnovers, it's hard."

A tipster who has been accurate in the past on matters relating to the Browns tells us that Derek Anderson will get the nod over Brady Quinn. But we're not ready to officially report that Anderson will be the guy.

Get used to the revolving door. Mangini is desperate to turn this thing around, and if it means letting Shaun Rogers take the snaps, Mangini might be willing to give it a try.

I loved in his press conference when he spun the meaning of the word "consistency"

He spewed some BS about putting whoever can win in the position to win, not necessarily committing to a guy for the long term, which is what he indicated it meant in the preseason.

This guy is a complete joke. My cousin is a Jets fan, I called him today and cussed him out for giving us this utter TRAVESTY of a coach.

If Mangini goes bye,bye how many ex-employees are the Browns paying on?

Do I have a say in the choosing of a starting Offensive Coordinator for this game?

I'm in favor of benching Dey Balls for anyone that has ever at least played pewee football.

Well sure you have a say Riffer, just get together with the petition guys. Hell, i'm hoping to petition my neighbor into selling his house because i prefer a fine fescue and he's growing Kentucky Bluegrass.

I would pay good money to see Shaun Rogers take snaps. I'm sure he can throw the ball for 3 yard passes just like BQ. Imagine a Qb sneak with him!

introducing... the UFO offense

he's growing Kentucky Bluegrass.

Is it his own special blend? aa cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. Can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff? If so, I'd want my neighbor to be growing it.

Well sure you have a say Riffer, just get together with the petition guys. Hell, i'm hoping to petition my neighbor into selling his house because i prefer a fine fescue and he's growing Kentucky Bluegrass.

Fescue is more drought and foot-traffic tolerant. I'm with you, where do I sign?!

One good thing in starting DA....maybe we will see if it is play calling, or simply checking down to the simplest portion of the play.

If we see DA throwing swing pass after swing pass, then yep, I will agree with the play calling angle.

When DA trots out on our first possession Sunday, the one factual thing we'll know is that Mangini is admitting he screwed up the single biggest decision he and his staff had to make this past offseason: picking a QB.

That should scare the hell out of us ala the RAC coin flip.

Really, it took Mangini an extra 6 or so quarters to make the switch. That's the only difference.

Wow.

One good thing in starting DA....maybe we will see if it is play calling, or simply checking down to the simplest portion of the play.

If we see DA throwing swing pass after swing pass, then yep, I will agree with the play calling angle.

I think you are right, that with a switch to DA it will come to light quickly.

I'd add if we see DA forcing the ball into coverage (even more so for DA, like we just saw in the 2nd half of the BALT game), it's going to show the problems are play calling and the "weapons" out on offense most of the time.

Based on the BALT second half, I think we are going to see a bit more passing yards (DA's arm does let him get away with some throws), but the net results are going to be as ugly.

Ah, there's a few more variables in play as you know.

DA didn't throw swing passes last week, but I guess the "Quinn sucks and/or DA rulz" folks give him a pass for all those INT's since he was "trying to make something happen".

Receivers may not be open. (Completion rate and INT's will come into play here too.)

Running game may not be there.

Different opponent.

On and on.

Yes, THE difference may be Quinn. However, DA not throwing swing passes this Sunday won't tell us that.

Well, if the Browns realize the state of mind the fans are in, expect a little more creativity. A reverse might really shake things up, look out for that flea flicker we've been waiting for.

When DA trots out on our first possession Sunday, the one factual thing we'll know is that Mangini is admitting he screwed up the single biggest decision he and his staff had to make this past offseason: picking a QB.

That should scare the hell out of us ala the RAC coin flip.

Really, it took Mangini an extra 6 or so quarters to make the switch. That's the only difference.

Wow.

I don't discount that point.

I really think it was a matter of having to play BQ so we could see once and for all.

Say we started DA and he played well...we still wouldn't know about BQ.

They had to get an answer on BQ and the only way to do that for sure was to play him game 1..

So what are you going to call it when DA just throws to guys who are triple covered resulting in picks.

Will you call it 'gee, he was checking down because no one can get open'.

Somehow, I don't think so.

I don't discount that point.

I really think it was a matter of having to play BQ so we could see once and for all.

Say we started DA and he played well...we still wouldn't know about BQ.

They had to get an answer on BQ and the only way to do that for sure was to play him game 1..

Baloney, you just discounted it again.

Believe what you want, but it was one of two things: Quinn impressed or DA was UNimpressive enough to lose his job in Magini's eyes. Doesn't mean he is/was right, but it does show what he thought.

The equation is rudimentary.

Just had a patient who is a big Bengals fan. Says he really feels bad for us Browns fans and he feels sorry for Mangini because he looks so sad and depressed. Recommends I send him some Lexapro.

Sigh. The Bengals fans have taken pity on us. At least they're better than the Steelers fans who feel trolling our boards is worth their time.

That's not exactly true and no one worth their salt would ever run an NFL team that way.

So what are you going to call it when DA just throws to guys who are triple covered resulting in picks.

Will you call it 'gee, he was checking down because no one can get open'.

Somehow, I don't think so.

I'll call it bad play...we will see on Sunday.

You will be rooting for DA to rip it up won't you???

I know you will Lem...I thought of erasing this as a cheap shot....but it really isn't....it does get a point across.

We have to get this thing fixed. Going to DA will either support BQ's troubles or turn the deal on him...

I don't want to turn it on BQ...but would rather that be the case over feeling it is because we have a bonehead coach and a entire team that sucks. Those will take longer to turn around over finding a semi legit QB

Who is the backup HC he will give us the best chance to win...if it isnt daboll..

And peens wishful thinking doesnt change the fact the headcoach and OC suck along with 18 other players on the field this team has to be erased and started over minus 4 guys..and DA nor BQ are in that 4...;)

I will be, just as I have on every Sunday he has started.

But I also will likely laugh my ass off on every pick, just like I did this past Sunday. Because with futility, at some point you have to laugh at it or it will drive you mad.

Case in point.

No one wants one of those.

We want a fully legit, playoff ready QB.

At this point I'd take a simi legit NFL starter on the Browns. But currently they don't appear to have one of them.

I don't think you are, but to be sure.... don't miss my point.

Putting in DA as a semi-legit QB shouldn't get anyone overly excited. If that's all he turns out to be (his trend is pointing this way) then that means we go from <3 wins with Quinn (the bust?) to <6 wins with DA (the erratic). Okay, a few more wins would be nice, but where are we for next year? The year after?

I wanted to see Quinn because I hoped he might develop pretty quickly into a legit, playoff caliber QB. If that's gone....... ouch man.

I'll call it bad play...we will see on Sunday.

I know you will Lem...I thought of erasing this as a cheap shot....but it really isn't....it does get a point across.

We have to get this thing fixed. Going to DA will either support BQ's troubles or turn the deal on him...

I don't want to turn it on BQ...but would rather that be the case over feeling it is because we have a bonehead coach and a entire team that sucks. Those will take longer to turn around over finding a semi legit QB

No, I won't. While Quinn may not be our franchise QB, Anderson definitely isn't. Frankly, I don't want anyone xxxxing up a chance at us getting the #1 next year at this point. Not that it'll matter; we'll somehow screw that up anyhow - maybe by taking a right tackle.

Going to DA doesn't 'fix' a damn thing. It might 'win some games' but not enough to make us legit contenders, and it might buy Mangini 'some time'. After what I've seen from him, he doesn't need any more time.

After RACs 2nd year I wanted him GONE - he sucked and I knew it; you could see his teams weren't getting any better. Then he has a miracle year and gets an extension, and, instead of being stuck with him for another year, we got to watch the abortion that was last season.

I don't want Mangini to have the luxury. Let's get it over with NOW instead of screwing around for 2 or 3 more years to find out the guys that know what they are doing (Bill ,Holmgren, Cowher) are either not interested or working somewhere else.

I know you 'think' I love Brady Quinn, but I don't. I think he hasn't been given a fair shot and has been xxxxed with by two 'coaching' staffs now. Frankly, I really dislike Derek Anderson as a QB. I'll take Ratliff over watching DA throw games away and xxxxing laugh about it. xxxx him.

I will be, just as I have on every Sunday he has started.

But I also will likely laugh my ass off on every pick, just like I did this past Sunday. Because with futility, at some point you have to laugh at it or it will drive you mad.

Fair enough....and my semi legit comment meant a little better than how you took it.

Archived