THE BROWNS BOARD

People Were Happy When Mangini Was Hired

Sony Reed

Man I really disagree ...here is the evidence..

Mangini's draft picks during his 3 years in NY

1 Vernon Gholston LB Ohio State

1 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue

4 113 Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State

5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee

6 171 Marcus Henry WR Kansas

7 211 Nate Garner T Arkansas

2007 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 14 Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh

2 47 David Harris ILB Michigan

6 177 Jacob Bender T Nicholls State

7 235 Chansi Stuckey WR Clemson

2006 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia

1 29 Nick Mangold C Ohio State

2 49 Kellen Clemens QB Oregon

3 76 Anthony Schlegel LB Ohio State

3 97 Eric Smith DB Michigan State

4 103 Brad Smith WR Missouri

4 117 Leon Washington RB Florida State

5 150 Jason Pociask TE Wisconsin

6 189 Drew Coleman CB Texas Christian

7 220 Titus Adams DT Nebraska

Sorry but 3 games is not enough time to evaluate a draft class or call these mistakes. He had to keep a lot of crappy players just to make a roster or we would have had only 4 or 5 guys in training camp. This is bigger than just this season. Everyone is looking for a quick fix. Change the qb, change the coach, change the gm .... That is not the answer.. We do not have much talent on this team...that is not the fault of mangini and Kokonis.. In FOUR YEARS you can say that..but not yet.

Mangini drafted some excellent players in ny in the 3 years there.. I am not saying all his picks were dead on..no team does that...but look at the 3 drafts above while he was there..there are MORE than a few guys on the jets right now from each draft that contribute or start and a few are rising stars , he has some real solid late round DB picks also.. Our draft have not been nearly as good as the 3 years noted above.. . Give it time.. it's bigger than just this season.

Mangini cannot ruin an already ruined team he inherited. He can make it better given time.

I don't buy it. In New York there is a very good team of talent evaluators in Terry Bradway (long time scout and GM), Joey Clinkscales (long time respected scout, Parcells interviewed him for the GM job in Miami), and Mike Tannenbaum (GM who worked with Parcells, Belli, etc). Mangini has never held any sort of scouting position and had no input into drafting at New England, and his input in NY was limited. I feel you are going to be sadly disappointed if you believe Mangini is going to suddenly become some sort of draft and talent guru. Not going to happen. Not to mention, since Eric has left NY, insiders have stated that he was the driving force behind the drafting of Vernon Gholston who has shown nothing to date. The before mentioned team wanted to draft Jerod Mayo but Mangini didn't want to leave Gholston on the board for Belichick. In that case, Tannenbaum let his HC get what he wanted. Sour grapes? Maybe, but it goes right in line with Mangini's fanaticism with anything New England. The other pick attributed solely to Mangini was Anthony Schlegel; he thought he would be the next Teddy Bruschi, ugh... Not to mention that many of the big names above (Sanchez, Revis, Harris, Keller, Washington) were all delivered via trades orchestrated by Tannenbaum, not Mangini.

In my opinion you are giving Mangini way too much credit for the talent in NY. The coaching decisions made by this man directly lost him many games in NY, and his eye for talent is not what you think. For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but I've watched his career closely and am not impressed. He'll draft you a lot of choir boys who will never get in trouble, but will be average players, and he'll continually tell you how "it's a process"....

Good luck.

Archived