THE BROWNS BOARD

People Were Happy When Mangini Was Hired

Sony Reed

I don't want to say I told you so, but I recall numerous post explaining why Mangini would be a huge mistake and boy ol boy look at what Eric Mangini has done to this team.

Randy Lerner wants this franchise to be like the New England Patriots so much that he believes if he keeps hiring peolple that worked for Bill B. they will be like New England, Weiss, Crennel and Mangini all have flopped once they left New England.

Mangini allowed to pick his buddy as GM a terrible mistake....no difference than Butch Davis having full control

Trading out of the #5 pick to trade down 3 times to draft a center......Another DUMB MOVE

Drafting 2 wide receivers in rouns 2 and then attempting to make a starter out of a specials team guy Cribbs....Stuipid Move and wasted pick

Thats just the beginning, I could go on.

People forget to look at the damage he did in New York......same boring offense with no imagination

I can't believe a guy posted that Mangini is responsible for the Jets playing good this season

Eric Mangini is all about power and if continues to coach our Cleveland Browns he will destroy this franchise

I was indifferent. I was willing to give his style a chance, but it just seems the Browns went from one extreme end of the spectrum to another with Mangini. Unfortunately, I think he is going to be in Cleveland for AT LEAST two seasons as there has been entirely too much turnover.

I was indifferent. I was willing to give his style a chance, but it just seems the Browns went from one extreme end of the spectrum to another with Mangini. Unfortunately, I think he is going to be in Cleveland for AT LEAST two seasons as there has been entirely too much turnover.

If Mangini stays in Cleveland 2 more seasons we are in big trouble and he would have done so much damage to this franchise I don't think anyone could or would want to come here and fix this mess and neither Mangini or Kokinis will ever be a head coach or GM again

We all thought Crennel was bad........Mangini is destroying this team and the players

I heard on talk radio that "the Browns have hired a new coach, details after the break". I then entered the canyon on my drive home , so I lost the radio signal. When I got home, I went straight to the computer to see who we hired.

I can only describe my feeling of reading "Eric Mangini", as a kid who asked for a new bicycle for Christmas, but received a swell new sweater instead.

If Mangini stays in Cleveland 2 more seasons we are in big trouble and he would have done so much damage to this franchise I don't think anyone could or would want to come here and fix this mess and neither Mangini or Kokinis will ever be a head coach or GM again

We all thought Crennel was bad........Mangini is destroying this team and the players

Saying he destroyed this team is like complaining someone 'destroyed' your already beat down 1979 Chevy Luv pickup. It was already done for.

Mangini is bad, no doubt. However, this team lacks depth and talent and a lot of that is on the previous regime.

Yea i was one of those that actually bought into lerners slick little getup with accorsi supposedly leading the way but since the season has started he has been the scumbucket the jets players and fans said he was he has no real football smarts and a really bad routine with all kinds of kiddy little games like...yay lets give sanchez to NY or a not so voluntary bus ride to nowhere, lets play secret starting QB and i am secret agent man and what ya dont know wont hurt ya...or fining a player for walking off with a bottle of water while off the field but doing nothing about the discipline or lack thereof on the field and then we have the waffle man BQ wins the competition and the start mangini slams into a scheme that by all accounts of anyone who watched bq play a lot knows that this is not his type of package with limited playcalling and most of it coming from the sideline...and instead of letting bq open it up he sends da out with a wide open package and not even a practice snap and then basically avoids the press as to why bq wasnt able to continue with a wide open scheme...yup this guy is a lying conniving real true POS..a scumball who will hang himself if given time hopeful some pressure on lerner will greatly reduce that time he has left mangini is a first class douche bag...

To be a first class coach you have to have some class and some ethical attachment mangini is void of both...he is a sneviling rat in a mans game..

This guy in 3 weeks has done what even 4 years of rac couldnt do its brought out the worst in me...i liked romeo the human being he sucked as a coach mangini sucks as a wannabe humanbeing and a failure of a coach..

Honestly to say i dislike the man is an understatement i dislike him enough to watch the jets try to win as opposed to watching this rabble try to lose..i yearn to watch an exciting team with an exciting coach having fun and doing their best to win and thats not possible in cleveland football these days or for the past 10 years..

I want to hate the guy too but I keep reminding myself that he took over possibly the worst team since the Bucs in the 70's. He may be a jerk and he may be strict but I have a really hard time feeling bad for these players. Most of them have been stealing monmey for a couple of years now. I honestly cannot name one guy I would miss if he were gone with the exception of Cribbs. Because of that I can keep perspective and say confidently that he cannot be this bad. He did build the Jets so we should at least give him a few years to flip this roster at least. Then, if he sucks and gets fired at least we will have some actual NFL talent here. Don't kid yourselves people, this roster has ZERO irreplacable talent. They keep saying they practice really well. Well guess what? When you practice against shitty players, your gonna look pretty good. But then Sunday comes and you actually have to play against real players and geuss what? You go 0 for 3 and never even sniff any chance of a victory. The roster needs flipped, we can't keep going through coaches, suck it up and get ready for the CAVS!!

Bernie is a true student of the game and I love to hear him call the games in preseason.

Even now when you hear him in interviews he still has such a passion for the game that is infectious.

He would make a great QB coach and good mentor to these young guys.

Bernie is awesome but lerner is afraid of him for some reason...

Bernie is a true student of the game and I love to hear him call the games in preseason.

Even now when you hear him in interviews he still has such a passion for the game that is infectious.

He should be GM. If not that, he NEEDS to take Deiken's job on the radio. Since when has "WOW"! or "he got em" been considered colour commentary? Thanks for the dead air Deiken. That's right, I turned this thread into a "bash Deiken" thread. That's how mad I am right now!

Here's to Bernie Kosar Field in Cleveland Ohio 2010!!!

AZ,

I have to disagree.

Last year was one of those injury seasons that happen and we were a mess because of it and the ever popular RAC/CHUD leadership,most of the players have remained the same and played with alot more heart for the jolly ole fat guy than they are displaying {healthy mind you}for the new guy.

No,this is about a coach with more hype than substance and was just a bad pick like so many who dislike Quinn.

Last year CLE's starters really weren't' ravaged by injuries.

The players are not mostly the same as last year. They have turned over something like 26 players from last year. You can just look at the starting O and D and see over half the players on each side of the ball have changed from last year to this year.

But Mangini is certainly looking bad at this point.

Folks, Bernie would first have to want to commit himself to a job of QB coach, HC, or OC. To date he has had zero interest in those jobs and has said so in various interviews over the years.

We are also talking about Bernie who has had trouble running his personal life and his business life.

I love Bernie, I love him calling the game, and he has a sharp football mind. But all of those things don't always equate to success outside of being a player.

I only liked the pick in regards to the fact that Lerner finally hired somebody with previous head coaching experience.

However the sheen wore off quite a bit after that, and quickly.

I loathe the man now...

Amen. I think cautiously optimistic was about as good as it got for me. It went downhill fast from there.

Well personal life has little bearing on what he can do professionally. On a professional level he is a football guy with a football mind. I know a plethora of people who had fantastic careers in their fields but couldn't manage their finances or their personal lives worth a shit. The two are mutually exclusive.

True. But if you can't run your business, that you are in charge of, you will have to forgive my concern for his ability to successfully run a football team.

Yeah I was definitely pumped about the Mangini hiring.

I liked the no-nonsense approach as it was a complete 180 from what we previously had. Discipline, respect, and commitment are always solid foundations for a football team. Still need to win to get everybody on board.

I trusted Mangini's pick in Daboll as OC. That's not working out so far. Is it Daboll's unimaginative playbook? Is it Mangini stomping on Daboll's neck? Who knows. But we have a serious problem playing football. And I'm standing on the gunwale ready to abandon ship (on this regime - not the Browns).

I'm pissed, but they've got a couple more weeks (bye-ish). *Edit*I'm not looking for 500 yds on O & a shutout on D, but I'd like to see effort.

I only liked the pick in regards to the fact that Lerner finally hired somebody with previous head coaching experience.

I loathe the man now...

hate is a strong word, but I'm pretty much right there with you.

If Bernie's ego would allow him to work as an assistant head coach, I'd hire him as the QB coach in a heartbeat.

The guy's command of the game is rare. Exceedingly rare.

I was NOT happy about the Palmer hiring. I was happy about Butch, and I was happy about RAC. I was indifferent to savage.

Maybe this is good, I hated the Palmer hire. I hated the Davis hire. I liked the RAC hire (he won 10!) and I loved the Mangini hire. Maybe we're going on the right track. *hope hope hope hope hope*

FLIP THIS ROSTER MANGINI!!!!!

I still like Mangini. He hasn't made the best choices in every step, but at least he's not running a daycare like Romeo. Remember Romeo had Mo Carthon ruining every offensive drive, and Mangini has Daboll. Give it some time to sort things out.

The players will come around eventually. We're an awful team, but there is hope on the horizon even if we go 0-16.

I loathe the man now...

Here's a quick fact....in the browns history....we've hired only one other coach with prior HC experience....ONE!

Worst Coaching Hire EVER? Maybe.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../09/29/mangini/

And of course here's a priceless quote about Mangini's decision to opt for the field goal down 27 with 10 minutes left to play

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/62243297.html

Anderson took over in the second half and threw a poor interception, then guided a drive that ended at the Ravens' 12-yard line.

Coach Eric Mangini chose to kick a field goal, down 27-0. Shades of the outcry when Romeo Crennel kicked a field goal in the opener a year ago against Dallas, down 28-7.

Mangini used this reasoning for the decision: There were 10 or 12 minutes left, and three touchdowns and three 2-point conversions ties the game.

He forgot to mention the part about monkeys flying in from Oz to carry away Ray Lewis.

Here's a quick fact....in the browns history....we've hired only one other coach with prior HC experience....ONE!

HC Nick Skorich fired from the Eagles in 1961 then Blanton Collier's DC til he became HC 1971-74. Had a few winning seasons but faded due to retiring players like Leroy Kelly and Gary Collins. But drafted some of the next best up and comers like Doug Dieken , Greg Pruit and a 13th rounder Brian Sipe.

I don't want to say I told you so, but I recall numerous post explaining why Mangini would be a huge mistake and boy ol boy look at what Eric Mangini has done to this team.

Randy Lerner wants this franchise to be like the New England Patriots so much that he believes if he keeps hiring peolple that worked for Bill B. they will be like New England, Weiss, Crennel and Mangini all have flopped once they left New England.

Mangini allowed to pick his buddy as GM a terrible mistake....no difference than Butch Davis having full control

Trading out of the #5 pick to trade down 3 times to draft a center......Another DUMB MOVE

Drafting 2 wide receivers in rouns 2 and then attempting to make a starter out of a specials team guy Cribbs....Stuipid Move and wasted pick

Thats just the beginning, I could go on.

People forget to look at the damage he did in New York......same boring offense with no imagination

I can't believe a guy posted that Mangini is responsible for the Jets playing good this season

Eric Mangini is all about power and if continues to coach our Cleveland Browns he will destroy this franchise

Man I really disagree ...here is the evidence..

Mangini's draft picks during his 3 years in NY

1 Vernon Gholston LB Ohio State

1 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue

4 113 Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State

5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee

6 171 Marcus Henry WR Kansas

7 211 Nate Garner T Arkansas

2007 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 14 Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh

2 47 David Harris ILB Michigan

6 177 Jacob Bender T Nicholls State

7 235 Chansi Stuckey WR Clemson

2006 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia

1 29 Nick Mangold C Ohio State

2 49 Kellen Clemens QB Oregon

3 76 Anthony Schlegel LB Ohio State

3 97 Eric Smith DB Michigan State

4 103 Brad Smith WR Missouri

4 117 Leon Washington RB Florida State

5 150 Jason Pociask TE Wisconsin

6 189 Drew Coleman CB Texas Christian

7 220 Titus Adams DT Nebraska

Sorry but 3 games is not enough time to evaluate a draft class or call these mistakes. He had to keep a lot of crappy players just to make a roster or we would have had only 4 or 5 guys in training camp. This is bigger than just this season. Everyone is looking for a quick fix. Change the qb, change the coach, change the gm .... That is not the answer.. We do not have much talent on this team...that is not the fault of mangini and Kokonis.. In FOUR YEARS you can say that..but not yet.

Mangini drafted some excellent players in ny in the 3 years there.. I am not saying all his picks were dead on..no team does that...but look at the 3 drafts above while he was there..there are MORE than a few guys on the jets right now from each draft that contribute or start and a few are rising stars , he has some real solid late round DB picks also.. Our draft have not been nearly as good as the 3 years noted above.. . Give it time.. it's bigger than just this season.

Mangini cannot ruin an already ruined team he inherited. He can make it better given time.

Archived