THE BROWNS BOARD

McDonald BENCHED

.mz

Mqassaquoi has two catches and Robiskie doesn't dress. How is this usage preparing them for next year, when you feel they'd be more ready to contribute? At this rate, they'll essentially be rookies next year, too.

Instead of getting these two guys valuable experience, we use a KR and a journeyman in their stead.

Someone tell me how this makes sense on an ubershitty team.

No way man...but has mangini made any sense on anything he has done so far?

We need those rookies to get experience like you said they will still be rooks next year but under this regime we will suck next year and 3 years later until lerner gets off his sorry ass and fires em...some coaches got it some dont mangini obviously doesnt have it he is out of his small mind league upon inheriting clevelands mess...

The greatest thing about this board is how you let the media suck you in and then you run crazy with it......LOL

Dispite what Mary Kay Grossi says or hints to, I was at practice this week and Adams wasn't playing a traditional corner position. McDonald is being given a wakeup call and his slot was filled a bunch of different ways. First they ran man up and over the top coverage with Pool covering short and Adams covering long. They also used Francies more in base defense but Poteat got a lot of time on the outside. Wright may end up on an island when they have 3 safties in the game.

Before you have the big one, Poteat does just fine in a zone cover two he just doesn't have the quickness to cover the slot receiver.

So, before you have one of those classic knee jerk reactions, Adams wasn't playing CB. He will be getting a lot more playing time but he isn't going to be lining up on the outside covering #85. He's being used more in dime situations where they are know taking a LB out and playing 3 safties and 2 corners. And, one of those corners was McDonald.

Before everybody goes nuts watch the game first and what you will see is a few new wrinkles by Ryan which will be more like a Steelers zone blitz scheme. Poole and Adams will be in the cover two to stop those big plays and Elam will be in the box for run support. Also, Poteat will line up at CB but always have help over the top, Wright will be on an island.

To be fair, reading the article, they do twist the situation a bit. They say McDonald may be benched but he will play in certain situations and they say Adams will play more, but they really don't say Adams is replacing McDonald at CB. They worked on about 6 different personnel groups for this game and I would guess that they really want to confuse Palmer with different looks and personnel in the game.

I think you will see Elam or another safety blitzing alot with zone coverage behind them. You'll see pressure from the outside and not up the middle. On a given series watch for both OLBs to be playing on the same side as the TE with a safety standing outside them. If Palmer doesn't check into a run, then he will get some serious heat. Sometimes they brought all 3 guys and sometimes they dropped one back into coverage.

MY main point was before all the WTF's about Adams playing corner, that isn't the case. They will get him into the game more and McDonald will not be seeing the field as a starter at corner but he will play but there will be some very different looks. some with only one traditional corner in the game. That will try to get Palmer to throw into a cover three.

So relax and don't get sucked in by Mary Kay who probably couldn't tell you what they were trying to do. All see knew is that McDonald wasn't involved as much as normal. You aren't going to see McDonald covering #85 withou help over the top. It looks like they are going to try to bump him at the line on just about every play.

Oh wait. I just read the entire story and its from the Plain Dealer and they credit "a source". Everyone relax. Adams might have lined up a few times at the corner in practice to work oon cover skills and they're declaring him the starter. Hold the enthusiasm until kickoff Sunday or Mangini says it.

I agree hold ur horses. plain dealer should stop the rumors until mangini says it i agree with ur post. And brandon mcdonald shouldnt be benched anyhow. On the wright side a CB Gives up ten plays of 15 yards or more every game

I agree hold ur horses. plain dealer should stop the rumors until mangini says it i agree with ur post. And brandon mcdonald shouldnt be benched anyhow. On the wright side a CB Gives up ten plays of 15 yards or more every game

The problem with the deep TD reception last week is that they were in a cover two and there was suppose to be help deep. Now, I don't know if McDonald was the one who was suppose to have the deep coverage of the safety. Best not to speculate because there have been times when the safety took the receiver off the line and the CB was to provide deep help. But, without the coaches telling us, it's pure speculation, just like Adams starting at CB.

Basically the staff is pissed at giving up big plays so you should see some less then traditional formations and personnel groupings out there.

McDonald's play is no worse then the OLB not providing contain on running plays. Mangini's big rant this week was stop the breakdowns and over pursuit and maintain your gap integrity. Too many people flying to the ball out of control and overrunning plays or getting sucked inside. What they practiced a lot this week was protecting against the outside run. When the WR motions back to the line to chip the OLB then the Safety or CB must trun the play in. That is also a reason McDonald is losing some playing time. His run support and tackling are terrible. On one of the TD runs last week the TE came back to seal the OLB and McDonald followed the WR over the middle instead of sealing the play and turning it back in.

MY main point was before all the WTF's about Adams playing corner, that isn't the case. They will get him into the game more and McDonald will not be seeing the field as a starter at corner but he will play but there will be some very different looks. some with only one traditional corner in the game. That will try to get Palmer to throw into a cover three.

Like I said yesterday

Oh wait. I just read the entire story and its from the Plain Dealer and they credit "a source". Everyone relax. Adams might have lined up a few times at the corner in practice to work on cover skills and they're declaring him the starter. Hold the enthusiasm until kickoff Sunday or Mangini says it.

But I am just a tard

HOW IN THE xxxx DO GROSSI AND CABOT HAVE A JOB?!?!?!?!

They stir up so much bullshit its ri-goddamn-diculous. Like in training camp they said "Brady was up and down". I was there, and he was high, low, and behind on every throw. He also looked uncomfortable. Sound familiar? They also said "DA hasn't done anything to win the job". In fact, he was much better in practice but didn't throw 20 TDs. That paper is garbage and anybody who reads a silly story from Cabot or Grossi, disregard instantly. I'll bet you they read TO's blog and said a "source" leaked Brady as the starter. I wouldn't be surprised if that forced Mangini to start him instead of DA. That would explain the short leash.

That paper sucks ass. I didn't fall for this B-Mac story but I'm pissed that they get paid really good money to sit around a desk and spin bullshit to get a headline. Wright is worse anyhow. When your kids ask you "daddy, where do stupid fans come from?" Tell them to read a Grossi or Cabot column. xxxxing Douches.

The problem with the deep TD reception last week is that they were in a cover two and there was suppose to be help deep. Now, I don't know if McDonald was the one who was suppose to have the deep coverage of the safety. Best not to speculate because there have been times when the safety took the receiver off the line and the CBG was to provide deep help. But, without the coaches telling us, it's pure speculation, just like Adams starting at CB.

Basically the staff is pissed at giving up big plays so you should see some less then traditional formations and personnel groupings out there.

McDonald's play is no worse then the OLB not providing contain on running plays. Mangini's big rant this week was stop the breakdowns and over pursuit and maintain your gap integrity. Too many people flying to the ball out of control and overrunning plays or getting sucked inside. What they practiced a lot this week was protecting against the outside run. When the WR motions back to the line to chip the OLB then the Safety or CB must trun the play in. That is also a reason McDonald is losing some playing time. His run support and tackling are terrible. On one of the TD runs last week the TE came back to seal the OLB and McDonald followed the WR over the middle instead of sealing the play and turning it back in.

You should write for the Plain-Dealer. That was more insight than I have gotten from the PD in 15 years. Kudos my friend, kudos.

One thing for sure, dispite the story, Mangini isn't overly happy with McDonald because it now causes them to change up their defense and be less aggressive in how they try to attack or pressure the QB. When you can't rely on your CBs play man coverage then you are pushed into playing cover two and cover three.

One thing Ryan is trying everything he knows to confuse the offense but in all honesty he is working with some below average talent. Not just with the DBs but the LBs. Actually the DBs haven't been as bad as the LBs. Mangini and Ryan are constantly on the LBs because of their drops and their inability to do the most basic thing a 3-4 team must do and that's gap integrity. I thought Jackson was getting over the hump and playing besides Barton would really help him. But, he is constantly out of position and plays out of control. What I mean is he tries to play too fast and over runs plays loses his assigned gap. Bowens has been a big dissappointment and Barton has definately lost a step. He's solid but just a tad slow.

That leaves Wimbley as our best LB. He may not get as many sacks as would would like to see but he does stay at home and seldom gets caught out of position.

I say this because it puts a lot of pressure on the DBs in run support and makes them play with Elam in the box leaving one receiver in single coverage and a TE usually in a mismatch against a LB. As bad as it seems McDonald has played he has been hung out to dry by Pool, who seems slow reacting and undecisive as a FS. Thus, you will see Adams in more coverage situations and Elam taken out. Also, Poteat is terrible covering the slot receiver man up. But, he actually is decent when playing a zone or in a Tampa two defense. I would expect to see Poteat covering #85 with help over the top and Wright in man coverage on the other side. McDonald will play in nickle packages and they have been trying to work Francies into some packages.

One of their biggest problems is the same thing they died with last year and that is they have nobody who can cover a quick veteran slot receiver. They brought in Hood and Ivy and neither proved capable. It's not like they haven't tried to address it.

No way man...but has mangini made any sense on anything he has done so far?

We need those rookies to get experience like you said they will still be rooks next year but under this regime we will suck next year and 3 years later until lerner gets off his sorry ass and fires em...some coaches got it some dont mangini obviously doesnt have it he is out of his small mind league upon inheriting clevelands mess...

good god

Archived