THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini

Sez.EJ

Past posts have stated he has lost the team, the team has revolted, the team gave up, he should be fired.

He did a great job getting this team ready to play.. it was obvious he can inspire the team to practice hard and prepare to play even when things look bleak.. and after last week it was a pretty miserable place to be as a Browns player, and as a fan.. He got the Offensive Coordinator in line, He got the Defensive coordinator in line, He made personel changes that were positive.. Except that DA Still throws INT's right into coverage when pressure is on.. is beside the point

Mangini did a great job this week... I don't think that can be disputed..he had a lot of heat on him and rose to the occasion. We actually looked like a football team this week against a pretty good Bungholes team.

EDIT>>> also want to note the guys played hard for 5 quarters today... that is a HUGE improvement..

He needs to go? Why? Because he hasn't turned around a 4 win team into a Super Bowl contender in 4 weeks?

So you think we should start over with a new coach again next season?

You have to give the guy some time...

I agree with the OP. I've been one of those people saying that hiring him was a mistake--although a little less vocally than others--but today was a good game. My main complaint with the first three weeks has been the fact that the team hasn't even been competitive; if you look at Belichick's first year, the team lost more than they won, but they were in almost every game. This week was a huge step forward. The team needs to get a lot more talented, but if they can stay in games like they did today, they'll win a few games here and there and will make progress for the future. A good game for Mangini and the Browns, even though hopefully they're mad right now about letting the game get away.

Dennis

Watching the gamecast--I got to see the Titans sucking against the Jaguars--I was a bit confused by some of the playcalling in overtime. I could be wrong, but it seemed like the team pretty much stopped running in overtime. There were a couple of runs here or there, but Cincinnati's offense seemed more balanced in the overtime.

And, not to kick Rob Ryan again--okay, to kick Rob Ryan again--but how do you not bring pressure on the fourth down play? Yeah, you run the risk of leaving the deep ball open, but you also force the guy to get rid of the ball faster, and you don't let the QB stand back there and decide to run, and you don't leave him a huge hole to run through. I had the gamecast on and was watching the CBS guys talk about the game in progress--they couldn't show it--but one of their studio guys said what a lot of people were probably thinking: if it had been REX Ryan, the Browns would have thrown all available rushers at Palmer to force him to throw it early.

Dennis

Watching the gamecast--I got to see the Titans sucking against the Jaguars--I was a bit confused by some of the playcalling in overtime. I could be wrong, but it seemed like the team pretty much stopped running in overtime. There were a couple of runs here or there, but Cincinnati's offense seemed more balanced in the overtime.

And, not to kick Rob Ryan again--okay, to kick Rob Ryan again--but how do you not bring pressure on the fourth down play? Yeah, you run the risk of leaving the deep ball open, but you also force the guy to get rid of the ball faster, and you don't let the QB stand back there and decide to run, and you don't leave him a huge hole to run through. I had the gamecast on and was watching the CBS guys talk about the game in progress--they couldn't show it--but one of their studio guys said what a lot of people were probably thinking: if it had been REX Ryan, the Browns would have thrown all available rushers at Palmer to force him to throw it early.

Dennis

The 4th down play looked like a designed QB draw...he didn't stay in the pocket for long.

So I came up with an interesting conspiracy theory today...

Is it possible Mangini threw BQ to the wolves, knowing full well that he would need ONE of the QBs to bail out the season and knowing equally well DA's confidence was less likely to survive the early beating than BQ's?

To put it another way:

Was DA Mangini's true choice all along and he wanted to either a. save him for the easier stretch of the schedule, or b. take the pressure off by basically letting BQ blow the season?

This would be Machiavellian in the extreme but if Mangini is as cold as he pretends he is...

Not totally implausible.

Crown WHO? The guy who continually throws into double and triple coverage.. I wonder if you guys saw the same crappy QB I did today... Oh by the way ..that crappy QB played for Cleveland.. WE LOST THE GAME..

Throw it away on third down and kick a field goal.. YEAH... NO>>> throw it into double coverage for an interception and come away with nothing... Sorry that's on DA.. not Mangini.

how do you not bring pressure on the fourth down play? Yeah, you run the risk of leaving the deep ball open, but you also force the guy to get rid of the ball faster, and you don't let the QB stand back there and decide to run, and you don't leave him a huge hole to run through.

Dennis

well, the browns man coverage was great throughout the game, so bringing a blitz(which the browns aren't very good at) isn't the best choice.

it is dissappointing nobody saw immobile Palmer scramble for 15 yds.. but the lack of browns pressure while bringing 3-5 guys is the biggest setback on the defense and maybe the only thing holding them back.

Crown WHO? The guy who continually throws into double and triple coverage.. I wonder if you guys saw the same crappy QB I did today... Oh by the way ..that crappy QB played for Cleveland.. WE LOST THE GAME..

Throw it away on third down and kick a field goal.. YEAH... NO>>> throw it into double coverage for an interception and come away with nothing... Sorry that's on DA.. not Mangini.

So did harrison suck ass today too? The Bengals scored 7 on that play. :blink:

I don't think today's game had anything to do with Mangini... but it did have a lot to do with the pride of the players on the field, and that's a very good thing

But even that will only go so far without a win. You look over at Denver, with a supposedly bad team with a rookie head coach who himself looked in over his head at times who many predicted would go 0-4. That team finds a way to win each week and is 4-0. This team finds a way to lose each week and is -0-4.

If those losses continue not even player pride is going to keep this team from throwing in the towel. The best one can hope for is that they get pumped up from a near win.

Beating a beat up Bills team next week would be a badly needed first step back from being the punchiline of an NFL joke. If the lose to a team like the Bills it won't be pretty... everyone will be looking ahead to the KC game in late December for the best prospect for a win.

well, the browns man coverage was great throughout the game, so bringing a blitz(which the browns aren't very good at) isn't the best choice.

it is dissappointing nobody saw immobile Palmer scramble for 15 yds.. but the lack of browns pressure while bringing 3-5 guys is the biggest setback on the defense and maybe the only thing holding them back.

The Browns played a cover two and cover three almost the entire game. Sorry, but there wasn't much man coverage at all that's why the play was a great call.

You can't take a chance with an all out blitz because they can't play man coverage worth a shit and even when they blitz they don't get to the QB.

So I came up with an interesting conspiracy theory today...

Is it possible Mangini threw BQ to the wolves, knowing full well that he would need ONE of the QBs to bail out the season and knowing equally well DA's confidence was less likely to survive the early beating than BQ's?

To put it another way:

Was DA Mangini's true choice all along and he wanted to either a. save him for the easier stretch of the schedule, or b. take the pressure off by basically letting BQ blow the season?

This would be Machiavellian in the extreme but if Mangini is as cold as he pretends he is...

Not totally implausible.

:blink: Take off your tinfoil hat dude :blink:

Archived