THE BROWNS BOARD

Please Calm Down

ClevelandFanForLife

Guys, I know that everyone is really excited about our almost win yesterday but we have to take it for what it was: a loss. I am not saying that I was not stoked to see us playing much better than the first three weeks, but everyone is running around cheering like we just clinched home field advantage for the playoffs. Yes, the team looked much better on both sides of the ball. Yes, it was nice to see MoMass have the best game a wide receiver had all week. Yes, it was nice to see Josh Cribbs look like the All-Pro that he is. And yes, it was great to see not only Eric Mangini but Rob Ryan coach better games. However, we must look at the big picture: He still lost. I loved that we were competitive and that we were in position to win: but the fact remains the same- we didn't win.

Like the rest of you, I am very excited to see us play the rest of the season and I think we can still win 5-6 games. However we shouldn't start acting like we we just beat the Steelers and Ravens in back-to-back games.

As far as Eric Mangini and his coaches are concerned: the word is still out. Was I against his hiring from the start? Absolutely. Do I want him to succeed? Abso-freaking-lutely. Do I think he will lead us to the playoffs and possibly a championship someday? The word is still out. A lot of people are saying that after yesterday's game it is clear that he was the right choice as a head coach. Really? Has anyone ever been called the right coach after a loss before? There are still some things that he did that I question like calling a time out with 2:02 left and not kicking the field goal at the end of regulation.

It was great to see the Browns lay well on Sunday and I can't wait for next week. But for now we have to stay grounded. We lost. That's all the record books will show. It won't mention how well Cribbs, Rogers and MoMass played. It will have us down for a loss and that's that.

No matter what the positives were yesterday, this team is still 0-4, which is the worst start since 1999.

I am excited for the rest of the season, but we have to take this for it's true meaning, which is that we won't be listed as last on the power rankings anymore. St. Louis will now hold that distinction.

Guest ATENEARS

I think most fans are just a little excited to have something to dissect and discuss.

In the first three weeks, the rightside of our O-line was a revolving door, we had no-where close to a 100-yrd RB, the rookie WR's and lack of using them was what most fans were vicious about. Our defense couldn't get off the field, our coaching was uninspiring ....

To clean-up all those areas in a single game after making some unpopular but needed changes ... is as close to a win as we've had around here in 10+ months.

I think you can realize that though. I don't think anyone really needs grounded from being too high. Speaking from my own perspective, I am excited to have some pieces of the puzzle worth discussing this week.

I'm sure you are too.

I think most fans are just a little excited to have something to dissect and discuss.

In the first three weeks, the rightside of our O-line was a revolving door, we had no-where close to a 100-yrd RB, the rookie WR's and lack of using them was what most fans were vicious about. Our defense couldn't get off the field, our coaching was uninspiring ....

To clean-up all those areas in a single game after making some unpopular but needed changes ... is as close to a win as we've had around here in 10+ months.

I think you can realize that though. I don't think anyone really needs grounded from being too high. Speaking from my own perspective, I am excited to have some pieces of the puzzle worth discussing this week.

I'm sure you are too.

Thank god!!! The reasonable one has returned! Whew. You were scaring me for a while bro!

I'm sure you are too.

agreed.

Yes we lost... We also had over 400 yards of offense. Our defense made them punt it 9 times. That is leaps and bounds over the first three weeks, and it is something to celebrate, IMO.

That being said, we punted it 9 times, had two huge turnovers. Our defense looked porous in the fourth and the end of OT when it counted most. I'm happier with DA at the helm than with Quinn. We are a thousand times more competitive with him under center.

Also. Rob Ryan looks like the Dude.

Well said.

I'd add that no matter what the positives were yesterday, this team is still 0-4, which is the worst start since 1999.

9-7 or bust. Come on Mangini. Lets see wins; the NFL doesn't award points for 'effort'. I don't think we have 9 shitty teams left on our schedule, which means we're going to have to get wins against quality opponents.

(PS: Did Pittsburgh look back to form last night; how stupid do the Chargers look for dumping Schottenheimer to go with Norv friggin' Turner).

So everyone seems to be content with a pretty impressive effort in our loss?

Good for you.

I agree it doesn't accomplish anything to dwell on the negatives, but.....

How long will your patience last with 'impressive efforts'?

Josh Cribbs was the difference between a blowout and OT. Big Baby was clutch, hope he can carry that momentum into Buff.

Guest ATENEARS
I agree it doesn't accomplish anything to dwell on the negatives, but.....

How long will your patience last with 'impressive efforts'?

Looking at our schedule, yesterday was a 'must win' that we failed to accomplish. I'll give you that, but the sorry-ass state this team was in after the first three weeks, yesterday was a positive step even though we lost.

We need to knock off a couple of opponents that we aren't supposed to. I'd like to see them come over the next four weeks as we head into the Bye. @Buffalo, @Pittsburgh, Green Bay and @Chicago ... we probably aren't 'supposed' to win any of those, but I'm expecting us to stand toe-to-toe and compete in all of them.

No more sissy token wins like yesterday, I agree.

Well i saw a team yesterday that played with passion and a coaching staff that was full of passion and then late in the game i saw DA plug his earholes to hear what daboll was calling in to him to run and knew it would be some stupid shit and i was right...

Looking at our schedule, yesterday was a 'must win' that we failed to accomplish. I'll give you that, but the sorry-ass state this team was in after the first three weeks, yesterday was a positive step even though we lost.

We need to knock off a couple of opponents that we aren't supposed to. I'd like to see them come over the next four weeks as we head into the Bye. @Buffalo, @Pittsburgh, Green Bay and @Chicago ... we probably aren't 'supposed' to win any of those, but I'm expecting us to stand toe-to-toe and compete in all of them.

IMO, if a loss to Cincy yesterday is a small step forward, a loss next week to Buffalo would be a step backwards. A drunk stumble into a pool backwards.

Yes, this team was in a sorry state after the first three games. It's actually the same sorry state they were in BEFORE the first three games, they just didn't realize it.

Mangini has pushed a few buttons and the result seems to be an improvement. He needs to push a few more and aim for decent, hell with improved. Yesterday' (moral) win loss doesn't mean a thing if we follow it up with a loss against Buffalo!

Not to get too far ahead with the schedule, but how many more losses are you willing to suffer through before you look to see another QB change?

If its a money issue, do you put Quinn back in after its assured he wont reach the escalator in his contract?

Guest ATENEARS
Not to get too far ahead with the schedule, but how many more losses are you willing to suffer through before you look to see another QB change?

If its a money issue, do you put Quinn back in after its assured he wont reach the escalator in his contract?

I don't see another QB change. I honestly believe that DA is far superior to anyone we have on the depth chart. It's DA's season unless injury forces him out.

I'm thinking that the players feel this way too and why we seen better effort accross the board yesterday.

Forget about Quinn ... he's done. We were all looking at going 0-16 with Quinn in there, so any Win (even phantom ones like yesterday) are more than we'd get with the back-up in.

Guest Masters

MIN game looked winable after 3 QTRs of play, Browns lose, fan outrage.

DEN game looked winable after 3 QTRS of play, Browns lose, fan outrage.

CIN game looked winable after 3 and 4 QTRs of play, Browns lose, fans content?

Guest Masters
I'm sorry, as much as DA is what I thought he was and will always be. I can't see how you can see the difference in this team this week and not attribute at least SOME of it to his paly at QB.

I'm still convinced we'll need a new QB for next year, DA would have to miraculously turn into something and win 7-8 of the last 12 for me to give him another chance.

But to even state at all that after this week, you have any reason to believe he will be benched in the future is just kidding yourself.

If DA plays game's like he did against Cinic on Sunday, he should start every game the rest of the year. Now if he (and yes I think this is possible) plays multiple 23 QBR rated games with multiple INTs in each game. Then you might have a discussion.

But all that will mean is that this team is not getting the chance to develop that it needs.

I fully agree with you JADBF.

I am just amused the a pretty loss is acceptable in a winable game, but what is ultimately an ugly loss in winable games was not. The team is still 0-4 and is off to its worst start since the expansion season.

I don't see another QB change. I honestly believe that DA is far superior to anyone we have on the depth chart. It's DA's season unless injury forces him out.

I'm thinking that the players feel this way too and why we seen better effort accross the board yesterday.

Forget about Quinn ... he's done. We were all looking at going 0-16 with Quinn in there, so any Win (even phantom ones like yesterday) are more than we'd get with the back-up in.

Are you idicating that a QB should be drafted next year? Not everyone was thinking 0-16 either.

Would DA's play be enough for you until the teams other needs are addressed?

Denvers and Cinci were 2 penciled wins gone south, yesterdays offense and playcalling was definately tailored for DA.

Are defense blitzed alot more also, making Adams look like the right call.

I thought it was a good overall effort, but as stated previous, we are still an 0-4 team.

Don't enjoy dwelling on the negative, but after a 50 yard return from Cribbs to put us in the win column, DA HAS TO FINISH. Weak follow up to a great momentum builder. For now, DA keeps the spot and hopefully his play keeps growing, but decent teams take advantage of opportunity, not simply be glad they had an opportunity.

On the positive, DA, even after interception and some weak plays, keeps his cool and seems to handle the pressure well. Cudos to him for staying mentally in the game.

The defense played an awesome game .. until the end. But still, very encouraging.

What I gathered is, this is a team - for the first time - looks to have potential, but we need a team leader/player QB. Someone who can close and use opportunity to the fullest. RB's, receivers, O line all did their job yesterday for the most part. Defense did their job.

Agreed that the punt vs. FG attempt was a mistake at end. That kid has a hell of a foot and who knows.

Massaquoi - GREAT GAME. Been waiting for this kid to get his chance. Hope he lights a fire under Braylon. Massaqoui should have been given this chance against Minnesota and Denver. He was a great player at Georgia, as Moreno (playing for Denver) was, and was long overdue his opprotunity.

Guest ATENEARS
I thought it was a good overall effort, but as stated previous, we are still an 0-4 team.

Don't enjoy dwelling on the negative, but after a 50 yard return from Cribbs to put us in the win column, DA HAS TO FINISH. Weak follow up to a great momentum builder. For now, DA keeps the spot and hopefully his play keeps growing, but decent teams take advantage of opportunity, not simply be glad they had an opportunity.

Huh?

Key Cribbs returns and the results:

39-yrd return ... lead to a MoMass Td that was called down at the one, followed by a TD pass to Heiden.

58-yrd return ... lead to Harrison's fumble-6

10-yrd return ... TD run by DA, capping a 10-play 77-yrd drive.

50-yrd return ... set up a field goal.

Please re-post and explain the highlighted area in red above.

Guest ATENEARS

If you want to blame missed opportunities, lump the Cribbs 50-yarder that set us up at the 14, with the fumbled punt by the Benagls that set us up at 18 ... combining both situations we ran 6 offensive plays, 4 runs to Harrison, one completed pass on first down to Heiden for 7, and a sack.

3rd-n-16 and we ran Harrison up the middle.

All Anderson here fella's?

After the fumble recovery; DA hit Heiden for 7 on first down, setting up 2nd-3 from 11, Harrison gets stopped for 2, then no gain on 3rd-n-1 .... Anderson?

After Cribbs return, we run the ball for 2-yrds, then they bring the house for a sack. on 3rd-n-16, do we take a shot at the end zone? no ... we play it safe and run Harrison up the middle.

BLAME STANDINGS:

1.) O-line

2.) Play Calling

3.) Harrison

4.) DA

4th qtr.

4-8-CIN 22 (8:52) 10-K.Huber punts 42 yards to CLV 36. 16-J.Cribbs to CIN 14 for 50 yards.

Cleveland Browns at 08:31

1-10-CIN 14 (8:31) 35-J.Harrison left tackle to CIN 12 for 2 yards (55-K.Rivers).

2-8-CIN 12 (7:53) 3-D.Anderson sacked at CIN 20 for -8 yards (98-A.Odom).

3-16-CIN 20 (7:18) 35-J.Harrison left guard to CIN 13 for 7 yards (59-B.Johnson).

4-9-CIN 13 (6:38) 8-B.Cundiff 31 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-64-R.Pontbriand, Holder-15-D.Zastudil.

Using Cribbs' 50 yd. return for 7 would have sewn up the game.

Guest Masters
Good lord......

they....

are .....

making...

ME.....

want ....

to...

defend....

Anderson.....

We have all reaped what we have sowed at this point when it comes to criticising either QB.

If you want to blame missed opportunities, lump the Cribbs 50-yarder that set us up at the 14, with the fumbled punt by the Benagls that set us up at 18 ... combining both situations we ran 6 offensive plays, 4 runs to Harrison, one completed pass on first down to Heiden for 7, and a sack.

3rd-n-16 and we ran Harrison up the middle.

All Anderson here fella's?

After the fumble recovery; DA hit Heiden for 7 on first down, setting up 2nd-3 from 11, Harrison gets stopped for 2, then no gain on 3rd-n-1 .... Anderson?

After Cribbs return, we run the ball for 2-yrds, then they bring the house for a sack. on 3rd-n-16, do we take a shot at the end zone? no ... we play it safe and run Harrison up the middle.

BLAME STANDINGS:

1.) O-line

2.) Play Calling

3.) Harrison

4.) DA

Harrison's fumble was awful, but he came back strong. It is nice to have a playmaker at RB again.

Anderson's INT was awful, but he came back strong. It is nice to have a playmaker at QB again.

Everyone always hates the playcalling, either we always pick the worst offensive coordiantors, we suck, or us fans don't know a damn thing. But everyone always hates the playcalling.

The defense really buckled down for the majority of the game, but just couldn't hold them off anymore at the end. I really wish we could have squeezed one more field goal out of the offense, but we didn't.

But the offense will get better as the starting QB gets his timing down with his cast. Anderson, Harrison, Edwards, MoMoss and Cribbsie are all playmakers, we are going to get more productive as we go along. It's too bad we basically took a four game extended preseason in order to figure out who should be starting both defensively and offensively.

If we get more defensive efforts like that one (or even better), and we cut the two awful turnovers down to one (or even better, none) we are going to win football games.

I would have loved one yesterday, it was a tough loss to swallow. But there were a lot of good signs to pick me up as the week moves on. I like our coach, I like our quarterback, I loved our defensive intensity, I'm just frustrated that we have dicked around so long before we started to find our identity yesterday.

Zombo

So here you basically state Quinn didn't have a RB, MoMass wasn't our #2 thus the lack of production, and our coaching sucked.

And then you say.

You are so full of it.

What happens when Quinn doesn't play one of the top 4 teams in the league? (top 7 defense wise) What happens when Quinn has a legit #2 WR to throw to? What happens when the coaching improves. (and they actually call some screens) We'll know soon enough when DA shits the bed like he does every single year. (oh wait he already shit the bed inside the 10 and lost us the game)

Guest ATENEARS
So here you basically state Quinn didn't have a RB, MoMass wasn't our #2 thus the lack of production, and our coaching sucked.

And then you say.

You are so full of it.

What happens when Quinn doesn't play one of the top 4 teams in the league? (top 7 defense wise) What happens when Quinn has a legit #2 WR to throw to? What happens when the coaching improves. (and they actually call some screens) We'll know soon enough when DA shits the bed like he does every single year. (oh wait he already shit the bed inside the 10 and lost us the game)

Hey look, the QB guru is back.

For a guy who doesn't want to hear any convincing about DA, you have posted about nine consecutive times about him. Are you trolling or can you stand to hear a little debate? I'm not wasting my time with an Internet tough guy.

Guest TheJokersWILD
Guys, I know that everyone is really excited about our almost win yesterday but we have to take it for what it was: a loss. I am not saying that I was not stoked to see us playing much better than the first three weeks, but everyone is running around cheering like we just clinched home field advantage for the playoffs. Yes, the team looked much better on both sides of the ball. Yes, it was nice to see MoMass have the best game a wide receiver had all week. Yes, it was nice to see Josh Cribbs look like the All-Pro that he is. And yes, it was great to see not only Eric Mangini but Rob Ryan coach better games. However, we must look at the big picture: He still lost. I loved that we were competitive and that we were in position to win: but the fact remains the same- we didn't win.

Like the rest of you, I am very excited to see us play the rest of the season and I think we can still win 5-6 games. However we shouldn't start acting like we we just beat the Steelers and Ravens in back-to-back games.

As far as Eric Mangini and his coaches are concerned: the word is still out. Was I against his hiring from the start? Absolutely. Do I want him to succeed? Abso-freaking-lutely. Do I think he will lead us to the playoffs and possibly a championship someday? The word is still out. A lot of people are saying that after yesterday's game it is clear that he was the right choice as a head coach. Really? Has anyone ever been called the right coach after a loss before? There are still some things that he did that I question like calling a time out with 2:02 left and not kicking the field goal at the end of regulation.

It was great to see the Browns lay well on Sunday and I can't wait for next week. But for now we have to stay grounded. We lost. That's all the record books will show. It won't mention how well Cribbs, Rogers and MoMass played. It will have us down for a loss and that's that.

No matter what the positives were yesterday, this team is still 0-4, which is the worst start since 1999.

I am excited for the rest of the season, but we have to take this for it's true meaning, which is that we won't be listed as last on the power rankings anymore. St. Louis will now hold that distinction.

I don't know who gets excited about a loss, we still lost and I am still pissed they lost. The Browns are still unable to pull out a close game at home which makes it even harder to swallow.

For a guy who doesn't want to hear any convincing about DA, you have posted about nine consecutive times about him. Are you trolling or can you stand to hear a little debate? I'm not wasting my time with an Internet tough guy.

LMAO I am an internet tough guy because I am debating with you on a message board. Laughable. I think you are the one who calls people fags, and homos, and queers .....tough guy.

I don't want to hear any convince about DA because I've watched him play for 4 years. You'd have to be blind, deaf, and dumb not to understand what you are looking at. A below average QB in the NFL with a rocket arm. :rolleyes:

Guest TheJokersWILD

I can debate that DA is STILL throwing into tight coverage and taking points off the board when it made the difference in the game. DA's pick was CRITICAL and I am not the only one that thinks this, Bruce Drennan also said the pick was "inexcusable".

Archived