THE BROWNS BOARD

Is He or Isn't He?

shepwrite

The question is whether Anderson can be the guy in Cleveland, and right now it seems like he'll get a stretch of games to prove it. Then again, we thought the same was true of Quinn and he got 10 quarters with Josh Cribbs pretending to be a WR.

That said, I supported the switch because Quinn looked to be crawling up inside his own ass, not crawling out. It was going to get worse, I think. Questions about him since Notre Dame got louder -- dump off tendencies, inaccuracy downfield -- and the Browns coaches weren't the only one seeing it. Shefter said Quinn's standing took a hit all over the league. He's likely to be seen as a backup for at least the next couple years.

Right now, Anderson entered the passer ratings where we saw him last, at #32. Last year, it was 66 and right now it's about 50, ahead of just J-Fat, who may have had the worst four game start to a season ever. He's so bad it's getting freaky.

It's tough to spin a 50 rating (1/4) into something positive, but I agree it's there if you squint your eyes right: The offense does look better with Anderson at the helm. And if you couldn't tell there was cameradery between embattled Brian Daboll and Anderson, you weren't looking. I got the sense Daboll wanted Anderson all along from the buddy-buddy between them. I do think Quinn's fan-favorite status and good looks just might put off a few people, probably on any team. I know his McCain backin' ways weren't lost on his African American teammates. Shoulda kept all that in the ballot booth.

Right now, today, there would be no chance in hell of Anderson getting a big bonus from the Browns or a big payday elsewhere. He has to win some games and show that he isn't the same guy he's been since he arrived at OSU: Big arm, bigger mistakes at the worst times.

It REALLY serves the Browns if Anderson looks like a Top 10-12 NFL starter as the season progresses, because they can start developing starting points for the offseason, like Anderson, Harrison, Massoquoi, Thomas, Steinbach, and Mack on offense and Wimbley, Rodgers, Jackson, Pool, Elam, and Wright on defense.

Anderson does not make many good plays with pressure coming free. He does have a break down in mechanics when faced with a need to make quick decision under free pressure. That is when he is innaccurate. His post and pre snap reads get him in trouble. He is hot and cold.

Quinn does all of the above.

Guest ATENEARS

I wish Quinn well, but I'm done with that experiment.

Here's the hot question, who exactly is our #2 QB? If Anderson falls apart, do we go back to Quinn or go with Ratliff?

Quinn the #3 QB here?

I wish Quinn well, but I'm done with that experiment.

Here's the hot question, who exactly is our #2 QB? If Anderson falls apart, do we go back to Quinn or go with Ratliff?

Quinn the #3 QB here?

According to Shep, Quinn is a RACIST because he supported a McCain, so we will have to cut him.

No. It was actually very accurate.

Bullshit. Not every player is a flaming card carrying liberal. That comment had no place in your post on this side of the board. All you do is ruin posts by bringing politics to this side. So none of the black players like Joe Thomas yet he is the guy wearing the C.

Accurate my ass. About as accurate as reports that Abe Elam was the guy fined 1700 dollars or Coye throwing a punch.

In your fairytale mind maybe.

it's there if you squint your eyes right: The offense does look better with Anderson at the helm.

no squinting needed. It is pretty much pasted on a billboard bigger than Jerry Jones' plasma TV screens. The key is just don't listen to the Frye Guys and BQ Fags who've harped on passer rating for the last 3 years like it actually means jack shit.

someone pointed out that Quinn's rating vs the Vikings was very similar in passer rating to Anderson's vs the Bengals. That fact is probably the biggest indictment on the passer rating system as there is...Well that and the fact that Charlie Frye's rating was actually good because of his comp%.

FWIW, Shep, your comment was the s-t-r-e-t-c-h of the century.

I disagree. Obviously, Quinn's got a right to express his opinion, but the issue is whether it was a tactful decision on his part.

If you're Mike Tomlin, you can endorse Obama. If you're Peyton Manning, you can endorse McCain. But if you're the backup QB waiting for your chance to play and win over the locker room, you probably shouldn't be wading into anything as divisive as politics. Even without the racial element, his endorsing a candidate could have brought up some "Who does he think he is?" grumbles in the locker room. After all, Joe Thomas was then and is a Pro Bowler; Quinn hadn't even started a game.

Many of you may disagree, but I don't think it was a smart move on Quinn's part.

I said very publicly backing McCain in the Year of Obama did not endear Quinn to many of his teammates. It isn't a matter of right and wrong. More than a few pundits pointed out that it wasn't popular in the locker room and that's why most pro athletes keep their politics private.

his support of the old white man instead of the cool black dude probably had something to do with it.

but also keep in mind that Quinn is an arrogant prick as well, which has more to do with it.

no squinting needed.

someone pointed out that Quinn's rating vs the Vikings was very similar in passer rating to Anderson's vs the Bengals. That fact is probably the biggest indictment on the passer rating system as there is...Well that and the fact that Charlie Frye's rating was actually good because of his comp%.

Quinn faced the NFL's #3 defense while Anderson faced the NFL's # 18th defense.

You make a good point, the numbers dont lie.

Guest Masters
no squinting needed. It is pretty much pasted on a billboard bigger than Jerry Jones' plasma TV screens. The key is just don't listen to the Frye Guys and BQ Fags who've harped on passer rating for the last 3 years like it actually means jack shit.

And DA's is generally low because of his horrid comp%.

Once again, did the Cleveland Browns win a game yesterday?

Stan, STOP thanking yourself,

That was dumb. The Chargers offense is one of the more prolific offenses

in recent years. Actually, that was worse than dumb, it was ridiculous.

Guest Masters
The D's Quinn played are rated high because they played Quinn.

Rivers put up 436 yards on Baltimore.

Quinn put up 34 yards.

case closed.

You really didn't just post that. Yeah, BALT has a aweful D. I mean by your logic, DA should have had 200 yards at least in his half against BALT.

Meanwhile that vaunted Cincy D allowed Kyle Orton put up 243 yards on Cincy in only 28 ATT, completed 60% of his passes, 8.7 Y/A and didn't turn the ball over against Cicny.

No. It was actually very accurate. You just don't like it.

I never said I think Quinn is a racist. You and T SAID I said it, which isn't the same. You're just doing your Glenn Beck imitation... and nobody likes Glenn Beck outside of your small circle of inbreds.

I said very publicly backing McCain in the Year of Obama did not endear Quinn to many of his teammates. It isn't a matter of right and wrong. More than a few pundits pointed out that it wasn't popular in the locker room and that's why most pro athletes keep their politics private.

Well, the way the Browns have been playing, I wouldn't be surprised if his anti h@mo rant got him into trouble with the rest of the players.

PS Come on back to the Politics Board.

I disagree. Obviously, Quinn's got a right to express his opinion, but the issue is whether it was a tactful decision on his part.

If you're Mike Tomlin, you can endorse Obama. If you're Peyton Manning, you can endorse McCain. But if you're the backup QB waiting for your chance to play and win over the locker room, you probably shouldn't be wading into anything as divisive as politics. Even without the racial element, his endorsing a candidate could have brought up some "Who does he think he is?" grumbles in the locker room. After all, Joe Thomas was then and is a Pro Bowler; Quinn hadn't even started a game.

Many of you may disagree, but I don't think it was a smart move on Quinn's part.

You're a good guy, Alo but your post is 100% BS.

Guest Masters
I assume you realize that 87 of Orton's yards came on that one batted ball at the end.

And that really makes it any better? Should I use Ben's number against Cincy instead?

Guest Masters

Except Shep didn't say, all but say, or anything close that Quinn was a racist. You have to go looking for that to get that out of what Shep said, and that says more about the reader than poster.

Guest ATENEARS
Except Shep didn't say, all but say, or anything close that Quinn was a racist. You have to go looking for that to get that out of what Shep said, and that says more about the reader than poster.

Yeah, and when I've called someone gay in the past, I wasn't referring to them as homosexuals, just that they were a little too happy.

Guest Masters
Yeah, and when I've called someone gay in the past, I wasn't referring to them as homosexuals, just that they were a little too happy.

Apples and bowling balls Ate. Apples and bowling balls.

Again, you keep misstating the (very correct) point because it bugs you. There were MULTIPLE reports that Quinn and Thomas openly stumping for McCain didn't endear them to the mostly black locker room that was feeling very passionate about Obama. It isn't even about liberals (most pro athletes lean conservative but aren't very political in general).

Again, it isn't about right or wrong and nobody said they hated either guy. It just went over like a lead balloon at a time when African Americans felt a lot of pride for Obama and McCain/Palin was starting to go ugly (with the pitchfork rallies and all).

Is what it is.

You have a habit of stating things like absolute fact. I'd like a link where multiple Browns had a problem with who someone supported for POTUS, especially since you were entrenched on this issue on the Obama side. I think you get away with a dozen or so of these kinds of fairytales a year on this board. Throw up a link.

Quinn faced the NFL's #3 defense while Anderson faced the NFL's # 18th defense.

You make a good point, the numbers dont lie.

This argument didn't hold up last year when DA was playing the toughest part of our schedule and BQ did okay against the worst defense in the league. You play who is on the schedule. Try another angle.

Archived