THE BROWNS BOARD

DQ Jackson

shepwrite

Guest Masters
Yikes. DQJ was spectacular last week. He's one of only a few keepers on this defense. He and Wimbley are playing really good football, along with Elam, Pool, Wright, Rogers, and recently Corey Williams.

I think DQJ plays.

I am not sure I'd say Elam, Pool, and C. Williams are playing really good football. They all had one nice week.

I think DQJ plays.

I am not sure I'd say Elam, Pool, and C. Williams are playing really good football. They all had one nice week.

Pool may have played ok but he should have had at least 1 pick if he had a set of hands...elam is overall an upgrade but we really need better safetys guys we have for years...

Williams just when i thought he was finished shows signs of life...but im not convinced he will be consistant yet..

DQJ is always pretty solid and wimbly is improving with every game...

Our biggest weakness on defense is often a lack of great safety play our corners really get put in some bad situations when help overtop so often isnt there and pool and elam both arrive to late if at all to often...;)

I think DQJ plays.

Damn you... You can not let one person say something positive about OUR football team. I see how you roll.........

Guest Masters
Pool may have played ok but he should have had at least 1 pick if he had a set of hands...elam is overall an upgrade but we really need better safetys guys we have for years...

Williams just when i thought he was finished shows signs of life...but im not convinced he will be consistant yet..

DQJ is always pretty solid and wimbly is improving with every game...

Our biggest weakness on defense is often a lack of great safety play our corners really get put in some bad situations when help overtop so often isnt there and pool and elam both arrive to late to often...;)

Throw in a lack of a consistent pass rush w/o sending 5+ guys.

Guest Masters
Oh come on, DQ is a BIG part of the problem and not a keeper. He gets blocked and destroyed so many times, that it becomes a big liability. So he made a play unblocked a couple of times, he also was a big reason why the Browns lost.

Posts like these amaze me.

I also swear I'd hear the samething about Andra Davis all the time. Seems to be doing just find for DEN.

That is a bit of a stretch.

Got physically beaten up on the Bengals "go ahead" TD drive and physically gave out late in the the game. You can't do that in this defense. He is such a mismatch, it isn't funny. You want guys that can physically break through blocks and make tackles in this defense, or it leaves big holes if the DL doesn't do their job(which they always won't).

The Bengals "O" physically, isn't the best. DQ was just awfull in the Ravens and Vikings game, which was no surprise.

Shep lets his emotions run away from him way to much. I am not the only one that complains about DQ's inability to get off of blocks. I have read it across this forum several times.

Amazing how the LB's always seem to get the rap for making tackles off the line...and for not coming off blocks...when in the 3-4 defense it is the DL that is responsible for keeping them CLEAN!!!

The LB in the 3-4 is supposed to be unblocked and running to the SPOT, not fighting off blockers constantly. I know Rogers does a good job, and our overall DL is doing better, but they are still wearing out late in the game...and in case you hadn't noticed, that is when we are getting ripped by the running game.

So, do some homework before coming to class and look up what the responsibility of the LB is before complaining they can't beat what ISN'T their job to beat.

(sure, they should be able to beat it a block or two...but don't EXPECT them to do that AND make a tackle for a loss on the same play)

Amazing how the LB's always seem to get the rap for making tackles off the line...and for not coming off blocks...when in the 3-4 defense it is the DL that is responsible for keeping them CLEAN!!!

The LB in the 3-4 is supposed to be unblocked and running to the SPOT, not fighting off blockers constantly. I know Rogers does a good job, and our overall DL is doing better, but they are still wearing out late in the game...and in case you hadn't noticed, that is when we are getting ripped by the running game.

So, do some homework before coming to class and look up what the responsibility of the LB is before complaining they can't beat what ISN'T their job to beat.

(sure, they should be able to beat it a block or two...but don't EXPECT them to do that AND make a tackle for a loss on the same play)

Do your homework. Even when the DL does their job, DQ gets blocked and misses. The more physical the defense, the worse DQ is. The worse the Browns defense looks. If you don't think DQ needs to be "upgraded" shame on you.

Yep same thing was said about Davis. "All he does is make tackles 5 yards down field. He's the reason our defense sucks"

yet he's 2nd on Denver's defense in tackles with 30.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/gamelogs?id=DAV121395

DQ has more tackles at 39

http://www.nfl.com/players/d'qwelljack...le?id=JAC137677

But doesn't have a guy named elvis wreaking havoc in opponents backfields

Oh and that Rey guy everyone wanted us to draft? Yeah he has 19 tackles...

http://www.nfl.com/players/reymaualuga/profile?id=MAU059326

LOL. Using the old "tackles" thing again. Wow!!!!! That doesn't work JADBF.

OK so argue me on the point. How's Denver's defense ranked WITH Davis in there? hmmmmm??? Seems he doesn't seem to be too much of a liability there now is he??

LOL, Denver's defense goes beyond Davis. Look who they have played: Cleveland, Cincinnati,Oakland,Dallas. Teams not overly impressive in the offensive ranks. Davis never had the problem coming off his blocks as much as DQ either. He just wasn't a playmaker, this board thinks he should have been.

Why you people romantize players like Jackson amazes me.

LOL, Denver's defense goes beyond Davis. Look who they have played: Cleveland, Cincinnati,Oakland,Dallas. Teams not overly impressive in the offensive ranks. Davis never had the problem coming off his blocks as much as DQ either. He just wasn't a playmaker, this board thinks he should have been.

I wish I could find the article, but ESPN did a piece and mentioned DQ as a likely pro-bowler this year...so I guess they are romanticizing him too.

Actually I don't ROMANTICIZE players like Jackon at all. IN fact I don't romanticize the ILB position in a 3-4 and act like you need some freak of nature playing the position. And I also realize that EVERY DEFENSE goes beyond one player. Great defenses play as a unit and do their jobs. I bet you a large number of Rey Lewis's tackles are 3-6 yards past the line of scrimmage. THAT'S not the problem. Outrunning your assignment and letting a guy squeeze through a gap and get 40 yards is the problem.

It is Romantize not Romanticize(did you get my smark on you) for your armchair wisdom. He doesn't get off his blocks, which is a major no no in the 3-4.

DQ could tear up his ACL and I doubt the Browns would miss him nearly like people think. Now when did ESPN know squat and who cares about the Pro-Bowl?

It is Romantize not Romanticize(did you get my smark on you) for your armchair wisdom. He doesn't get off his blocks, which is a major no no in the 3-4.

Since I have nothing to add football-wise:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/romantize

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/romanticize

Which one says 'no dictionary results'?

DQ could tear up his ACL and I doubt the Browns would miss him nearly like people think. Now when did ESPN know squat and who cares about the Pro-Bowl?

Romantize isn't a word...just for starters.

Second, the ILB's on a 3-4 are two distinct players. One is supposed to be the run stuffer, the other is supposed to be lighter, faster, and take on pass coverage over the middle.

In case you are confused, DQ is the latter. What we lack right now...and the guy you SHOULD be blasting with your rhetoric is the RUN STUFFER (currently Eric Barton).

While Barton is a nice role player, he is FAR from a great run stuffer and currently has 8 fewer tackles and 10 few solo tackles than DQ, and only 1 more stuff....and that is his ROLE!!!

So, quit while you are behind...you are out of your element.

Guest Masters
Got physically beaten up on the Bengals "go ahead" TD drive and physically gave out late in the the game. You can't do that in this defense. He is such a mismatch, it isn't funny. You want guys that can physically break through blocks and make tackles in this defense, or it leaves big holes if the DL doesn't do their job(which they always won't).

The Bengals "O" physically, isn't the best. DQ was just awfull in the Ravens and Vikings game, which was no surprise.

Shep lets his emotions run away from him way to much. I am not the only one that complains about DQ's inability to get off of blocks. I have read it across this forum several times.

Um... everything you said applies across the board for the WHOLE defense, not just Jackson. Hence why it is a stretch to single DQ out as a specific reason the Browns lost.

Guest Masters
Do your homework. Even when the DL does their job, DQ gets blocked and misses. The more physical the defense, the worse DQ is. The worse the Browns defense looks. If you don't think DQ needs to be "upgraded" shame on you.

If the DL did there job, then DQ wouldn't be getting blocked.

Guest Masters

Last I checked DAL has one of the best OL in the game and a solid running game.

Yep same thing was said about Davis. "All he does is make tackles 5 yards down field. He's the reason our defense sucks"

yet he's 2nd on Denver's defense in tackles with 30.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/gamelogs?id=DAV121395

DQ has more tackles at 39

http://www.nfl.com/players/d'qwelljack...le?id=JAC137677

But doesn't have a guy named elvis wreaking havoc in opponents backfields

Oh and that Rey guy everyone wanted us to draft? Yeah he has 19 tackles...

http://www.nfl.com/players/reymaualuga/profile?id=MAU059326

Number of tackles is the most overrated stat in football, it does not tell you the entire story

A cornerback gets 10 tackles after giving up 10 receptions, so I guess he had a good game because he had 10 tackles

Btw, Rey Rey is playing very good for the Bengals if you ever watched the games instead of looking at the stat sheet, his numbers are similar to aaron Curry who everyone thought was All world

Guest Masters
IMO Rey Rey is making a couple of WOW plays (his usual) and then is invisible on most other plays, and I've seem him out of position more than he should be. But that's normal for a rookie.

As for number of tackles being overrated? Sure they might be. But again, it's been my assertion all along that one guy isn't the problem with a defense. Can you explain how Denver's D is so good with that LB everyone here thought was below average being 2nd in tackles?

Can you do it with out calling me a roman catholic or what ever that was?

You don't mean that LB that wouldn't start for any other NFL team? Let alone a team running a 3-4

Guest Masters
Btw, Rey Rey is playing very good for the Bengals if you ever watched the games instead of looking at the stat sheet, his numbers are similar to aaron Curry who everyone thought was All world

:huh: What's wrong with that statement? Telling someone to watch the games instead of looking at the stat sheet, then comparing stat sheet numbers?

As JADBF noted, Rey Rey has had his wow plays, just like at USC, but just like at USC, he ends up out of position more often than he makes an impact. For a guy that would make a big difference against the run, didn't CLE just run for over 100 yards against him?

Curry is playing way better than Rey Rey at this point.

IMO Rey Rey is making a couple of WOW plays (his usual) and then is invisible on most other plays, and I've seem him out of position more than he should be. But that's normal for a rookie.

As for number of tackles being overrated? Sure they might be. But again, it's been my assertion all along that one guy isn't the problem with a defense. Can you explain how Denver's D is so good with that LB everyone here thought was below average being 2nd in tackles?

Can you do it with out calling me a roman catholic or what ever that was?

How many games have you actually watched? Seems to me you are looking at stats and not the game, if you have watched the Bengals play this year you would not have made that comment, Rey is playing as good or better than any Browns linebacker. Also if you did'nt know Rey is playing outside linebacker for the Bengals and a reason there defense is much better against the run playing over the tight end and all that talk about Rey being a 2 down linebacker who can't cover has proven to be a bunch of B.S, yet people said Brian Robiske was the most NFL ready wide receiver in the draft, this just proves we really don't know what guys will do once they get in the NFL big difference from college. Btw Aaron Curry is not yet ready for the Hall Of Fame like many posters had him going

Rey has 19 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 1 sack, not bad playing strongside LB. (Solon told everyone who would listen that Rey Rey was the real deal )

The reason Denvers is playing well is Brain Dawkins and Elvis Dumervill (8 ) sacks and LB DJ Williams on defense.

I seem to recall a post you made this summer that the Browns made the correct choice in Mangini over McDaniel, still feel that way today

:huh: What's wrong with that statement? Telling someone to watch the games instead of looking at the stat sheet, then comparing stat sheet numbers?

As JADBF noted, Rey Rey has had his wow plays, just like at USC, but just like at USC, he ends up out of position more often than he makes an impact. For a guy that would make a big difference against the run, didn't CLE just run for over 100 yards against him?

Curry is playing way better than Rey Rey at this point.

Masters, what games have you watched? You really believe that Curry is playing much better than Rey then I don't know what you have been watching

I watched Curry the last 2 weeks against the Bears and Colts and he did not do very much

Curry 22 tackles, 1 sack and 1 Forced fumble, 0 passes defended compared to Rey 19 tackles 2 forced fumbles and 1 sack, 1 pass defended you call that playing much better, one guy Curry taken 4th in the draft the other Rey taken in the 2nd round

Has Curry changed that Seahawk defense much? Did curry make a difference against the Bears and Colts? did'nt think so, and curry is playing weakside linebacker which is more of a playmaking position since you are not playing over the tight end like Rey has to, also Rey has made the Bengals defense better much more than Curry has done in Seattle.

Your comments about Cleveland getting over 100 yards, look and see how many of those yards went over the left side and tell me how many times Rey was out of position and over running plays, now look at the last 2 games of Seattle and tell me how many time Curry over ran plays or was handled one on one by the left tackle as he was rushing the QB and for Curry's so called excellent against the pass, watch what Cutler and Manning did to him in pass coverage.

But then guys here had Aaron Curry ready for the Hall of Fame after 1 season in the NFL

Btw, Brian Cushing looks pretty good in Houston.......33 tackles so far 3 passes defended, another guy draft guru's said was a 2 down linebacker

Guest Masters
How many games have you actually watched? Seems to me you are looking at stats and not the game, if you have watched the Bengals play this year you would not have made that comment, Rey is playing as good or better than any Browns linebacker. Also if you did'nt know Rey is playing outside linebacker for the Bengals and a reason there defense is much better against the run playing over the tight end

Did you watch this past weekends Browns/Bengals game? I hardly call allowing CLE to rush for over 100+ yards an improved rush D, nor would I call not getting your name called all day and finishing with 1 tackle and 1 ast playing as good as anyone, let alone making an impact.

Archived