THE BROWNS BOARD

DQ Jackson

shepwrite

I would've loved to get Rey and put him next to the NFL's leading tackler. They're both really good.

Dude, Sony... really? You think those players are what makes Denver's defense great? Two of them were there last year and the other is 47 years old.

Two words: Mike Nolan.

Shep, Why do you think Pittsburgh defense and Baltimore defense is so good, Troy Palamalu and Ed Reed

With Brain Dawkins playing saftey for the Broncos he covers up a lot of mistakes others make and Dumvervill with 8 sacks is a terror off the edge and DJ Williams is having a career year with the Broncos

Mike Nolan is a good D-Coordinator but I have to ask you what did he do the the 49ers defense?

Also Rey is playing strongside outside linebacker in the Bengals 4-3 defense, I don't know about you Shep but I always thought DQ Jackson would be a beast if we went to a 4-3 and we played Jackson at right outside linebacker, I just feel he is too small to play strongside inside linebacker in a 3-4

Guest Masters
Masters, what games have you watched? You really believe that Curry is playing much better than Rey then I don't know what you have been watching

I watched Curry the last 2 weeks against the Bears and Colts and he did not do very much

Curry 22 tackles, 1 sack and 1 Forced fumble, 0 passes defended compared to Rey 19 tackles 2 forced fumbles and 1 sack, 1 pass defended you call that playing much better, one guy Curry taken 4th in the draft the other Rey taken in the 2nd round

Has Curry changed that Seahawk defense much? Did curry make a difference against the Bears and Colts? did'nt think so, and curry is playing weakside linebacker which is more of a playmaking position since you are not playing over the tight end like Rey has to, also Rey has made the Bengals defense better much more than Curry has done in Seattle.

Your comments about Cleveland getting over 100 yards, look and see how many of those yards went over the left side and tell me how many times Rey was out of position and over running plays, now look at the last 2 games of Seattle and tell me how many time Curry over ran plays or was handled one on one by the left tackle as he was rushing the QB and for Curry's so called excellent against the pass, watch what Cutler and Manning did to him in pass coverage.

But then guys here had Aaron Curry ready for the Hall of Fame after 1 season in the NFL

Btw, Brian Cushing looks pretty good in Houston.......33 tackles so far 3 passes defended, another guy draft guru's said was a 2 down linebacker

I said Cushing was the best LB coming out of USC.... but I digress.

As to the Browns/Bengals game:

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 4 yard loss

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 7 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the right for 7 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 14 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 5 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the left for 7 yard gain

J. Harrison rushed to the right for 4 yard gain

What is that, like 55 of his yards going to Rey Rey's side of the ball.

Last I checkd, the secondary of SEA is what cost them the IND and CHI game. Last I also checked, Curry has gotten better and done more each week.

Guest Masters
Mike Nolan is a good D-Coordinator but I have to ask you what did he do the the 49ers defense?

Obviously spent to much time calling out Alex Smith in the press and not enough time focusing on the D.

Guest Masters

Cincy/PIT

W. Parker rushed to the left for 24 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for no gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 12 yard gain

M. Moore rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 2 yard loss

W. Parker rushed to the left for 10 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

Cincy/GB

R. Grant rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

R. Grant rushed to the left for 8 yard gain

R. Grant rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

R. Grant rushed to the left for 4 yard touchdown. M. Crosby made PAT

R. Grant rushed to the left for no gain

R. Grant rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

Ciincy/DEN

C. Buckhalter rushed to the left for 8 yard gain

K. Moreno rushed to the left for 5 yard gain

C. Buckhalter rushed to the right for 7 yard gain

K. Moreno rushed to the left for 4 yard loss

C. Buckhalter rushed to the left for 11 yard gain

C. Buckhalter rushed to the left for 1 yard loss

K. Moreno rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

L. Jordan rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

Cincy/PIT

W. Parker rushed to the left for 24 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 12 yard gain

M. Moore rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 2 yard loss

W. Parker rushed to the left for 10 yard gain

W. Parker rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

Cincy/GB

R. Grant rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

R. Grant rushed to the left for 8 yard gain

R. Grant rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

R. Grant rushed to the left for 4 yard touchdown. M. Crosby made PAT

R. Grant rushed to the left for no gain

R. Grant rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

Ciincy/DEN

C. Buckhalter rushed to the left for 8 yard gain

K. Moreno rushed to the left for 5 yard gain

C. Buckhalter rushed to the right for 7 yard gain

K. Moreno rushed to the left for 4 yard loss

C. Buckhalter rushed to the left for 11 yard gain

C. Buckhalter rushed to the left for 1 yard loss

K. Moreno rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

L. Jordan rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

Don't let silly facts get in the way!

Also if you did'nt know Rey is playing outside linebacker for the Bengals and a reason there defense is much better against the run playing over the tight end and all that talk about Rey being a 2 down linebacker who can't cover has proven to be a bunch of B.S

To be honest, I thought the two down tag was a little unfair to Rey Rey, but I'm not sure how anything he's done so far has dispelled that notion.

From what I've seen, Rey's basically a two down player in Cinci, and one of his mistakes in coverage resulted in Ben Roeth connecting with Willie Parker for a TD.

I watched Curry the last 2 weeks against the Bears and Colts and he did not do very much

I guess the TFL and strip sack in the 4th quarter of the Bears game didn't do much for you.

Scout.com's Chris Steuber has been posting weekly rookie rankings. In the latest one, he has Curry at #3, Cushing at #7, Laurinaitis at #8, and Maualuga at #14. Steuber was a big Maualuga fan before the draft, so there isn't any anti-Rey bias there.

To be honest, I thought the two down tag was a little unfair to Rey Rey, but I'm not sure how anything he's done so far has dispelled that notion.

From what I've seen, Rey's basically a two down player in Cinci, and one of his mistakes in coverage resulted in Ben Roeth connecting with Willie Parker for a TD.

I guess the TFL and strip sack in the 4th quarter of the Bears game didn't do much for you.

Scout.com's Chris Steuber has been posting weekly rookie rankings. In the latest one, he has Curry at #3, Cushing at #7, Laurinaitis at #8, and Maualuga at #14. Steuber was a big Maualuga fan before the draft, so there isn't any anti-Rey bias there.

Hey Alo, maybe you have been doing this cuz I've been out of touch, but it would be great to see more of those rookie rankings. That's some really cool stuff, except you left out Veikune LOL.

Alo, you re-do the draft today, Rey goes top 20 at worst, probably higher. The questions about him got overblown and already seem kind of ridiculous. That happens to someone every draft. Just showing up and playing good football for four weeks bumps him up to 15-ish, I think. Let's be real: He's good. So is Curry. One isn't massively better than the other. The month leading up to the draft creates some crazy-ass hyperbole.

If we're going to stop being polite and start getting real, Shep, you probably need to concede that your assertion that the questions surrounding Rey Rey were overblown is based on absolutely nothing, save for the fact that you're a USC fan and read the LA Times. In that, you're pretty much in the same boat as the few many Lubbock Avalanche-Journal readers who thought the concerns about Crabtree were entirely unfounded.

Yes, Rey hasn't had any issues so far, but neither have B.J. Raji or Percy Harvin, two other prospects who slid due to character concerns. And considering our opponent this week, it'd be wise to note that Marshawn Lynch was able to stay out of trouble his rookie year, seeming to dispel some of the character concerns that hit him around draft time. Unfortunately for Bills fan, he's now coming off a league-imposed suspension.

As for Rey's talent level, I don't think we really disagree much, except for how he'd fit in a read & react 3-4. The only other difference, it seems, is that I was saying the same thing in April:

In the end, Maualuga is a complicated, often frustrating player. He's extremely impressive when you first watch him, but that impression tends to fade once you've watched a lot of him. You come to expect that Rey will consistently make the type of highlight plays his elite explosiveness allows, which is unfair and - to a certain extent - a reflection of how good he can be. On the other hand, you also notice that he often explodes in the wrong direction, which suggests that his instincts and ability to diagnose plays could end up limiting his upside.

Rey's got the size and strength to be a great 3-4 ILB, but he struggles when lineman are able to get to the second level. It's possible that he'd be better off playing in a defense that's less complex and more aggressive than a read & react 3-4. Personally, I think he could be very effective as a two down 4-3 inside linebacker.

Because his style of play requires good surrounding talent to cover for his mistakes, the negatives aspects of Maualuga's game could pop up much more if he's added to a struggling defense. And if he's drafted too high, the risk of him losing focus and not earning his contract increases exponentially.

Rey would be a solid pick for a team in the mid-teens looking to add a final piece to their already good defense. However, I see him being less of a fit for a team like ours, with our struggling defense and a new regime looking to build upon a foundation of high character players. He'd have to slide to the 20's for me to think the risk, both in terms of playing style and character, doesn't outweigh the considerable reward that is Rey Rey's upside.

The only thing that has changed since then is that the post-draft fleshing out of Rey's character concerns made me a bit more wary of him. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but your favorite (former) insider, SOBO, sat next to Rey on the flight down to Mobile - he said that Rey reeked of alcohol and asked him a lot of questions about where he could party at night during Senior Bowl week.

And on the flip side, the stuff I read about Curry post-draft just confirmed what I heard before it. For instance, here's a tweet from former Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah:

I was told by a coach at WFU that Curry was the best leader in 30 yrs of coaching. He basically gave the halftime speech every week.

Though I understand that Rey had a big game against Green Bay, I haven't seen anything in the last two to make me think we missed out on our Ray Lewis. This doesn't wow me:

Is he a good football player? Yes, he can be. But I still don't see him as a good fit for us. You don't have to hate a guy or think he's going to be a bust to think we were better off passing on him.

And even if Rey's a 15-20 type player, I still think Curry's a top five guy, both because of his play and his leadership qualities. If Rey doesn't lose focus, it'll still be like the difference between having a Patrick Willis and a Channing Crowder - just because both are good players doesn't mean you wouldn't place a significantly higher value on one over the other.

That was my assertion: If the draft is held today, Rey goes in the middle of the first round. As the draft approached, he became a madcap loon who surely would be suspended by week three and would be out of position on every play. It was laughable.

He was one of the top 15-20 guys in this draft. I'm not really that concerned about where he stands in comparison to Curry, who seems like a very talented kid... but I don't think we'll act like they're worlds apart in the coming years. More of a tomAYto tomAHto thing.

Kind of reminded me of Aaron Rodgers. If you watched tape on that kid, you said, "Okay, he's incredibly athletic, I know he got a 38 on the Wonderlic, he has a quicker release than Marc Bulger, he's VERY accurate, he beat USC, he has a big-time NFL arm, but... uh... uhm... what was I saying?"

I think you're hyperbolizing other people's opinions instead of actually engaging them, but that's okay.

I'll go back to watching Bradford & Gerald McCoy.

No, I didn't think you were being nasty. Just not taking the concerns about Rey seriously.

Not sure he'd be taken top 15. Those alcohol issues are disconcerting, and he's not a fit for every scheme or head coach.

I don't think he's making the scouts & GM's who downgraded him look silly. Just look at the clip above: does that scream, 'Man, we should have drafted this guy!'?

Archived