THE BROWNS BOARD

Keys to Victory This Week...

Flugel

1) Win the turnover battle (last year Trent Edwards threw 4 INTs & it helped considerably. Also helps field position)

2) Win the time of possession (teams are running on the Bills this year)

3) Win the line of scrimmage - it's all about attitude & leverage

4) Win field position (Cribbs is #1 but Buffalo has very good STs and Parrish is a dangerous return guy as well)

5) Win the little things consistently (in a game of inches - they matter more than you'll ever fathom)

6) Win the intelligence, vision and discipline

That should take care of things. Aside from that, Mangini faced Buffalo twice last year so he has a good idea of WHERE they are strong and where they are vulnerable.

I hope Buffalo's Devil in a Diva Dress doesn't break out against us this week. I don't think there would be a bigger nightmare than hearing Shannon Sharpe repeatedly mispronouncing "Bubbalo" with extended highlights of Me-O celebrating himself at our expense.

- Tom F.

1) Win the turnover battle (last year Trent Edwards threw 4 INTs & it helped considerably. Also helps field position)

4) Win field position (Cribbs is #1 but Buffalo has very good STs and Parrish is a dangerous return guy as well)

5) Win the little things consistently (in a game of inches - they matter more than you'll ever fathom)

That should take care of things. Aside from that, Mangini faced Buffalo twice last year so he has a good idea of WHERE they are strong and where they are vulnerable.

I hope Buffalo's Devil in a Diva Dress doesn't break out against us this week. I don't think there would be a bigger nightmare than hearing Shannon Sharpe repeatedly mispronouncing "Bubbalo" with extended highlights of Me-O celebrating himself at our expense.

- Tom F.

If the Browns can do everything you listed they should come away with a win. The only thing I could add is put pressure on the QB, that could translate into some turnovers.

jump to an early lead with big plays

then close it out by by getting 100+ yds for Lewis and Harrison.

Thats the way i would like to see it to but mangini/dabolls plans seem to be more about grinding the entire game to lose 21-20....maybe they will suprise us and let DA play to win this week! ;)

You forgot the most important one.. Win the points battle. not trying to be a complete ass here...but all your points could go south.. if we get some points on the board in some fashion.. we can win. All the things you point out can go our way and we can still fail to put up points and lose the game.. So we have to get points on the board. Period.

DA is our biggest obstacle to winning IMO

Guest Masters

- Tom F.

One problem. This team did just about all 6 of those things last week, yet managed to lose.

If I am not mistaken, the Bill's O-line has two rookies on the inside and two second string tackles starting. All four combined, have less starts than the centre who is facing one of the scariest DT's in the game.

The blitzes are going to come from everywhere and hopefully Ryan moves some of our key linebackers around to keep everyone confused. The last thing we want is for Edwards to have time to get in sync with Owens and Evans.

One problem. This team did just about all 6 of those things last week, yet managed to lose.

True but the key phrase in that sentence above is "just about" and it extended the competition past 60 minutes. What we should take away from last week Masters is we had a chance to win when we did alot of things well (especially knowing how non-competitive we were when the alternative unfolded in weeks 1-3). Basically, we had a bad 1st quarter and spent the next 2-3 quarters overcoming it, which got us to OT. We gotta do it for 60 minutes instead of 40-45 minutes.

A couple miscellaneous opinions that are somewhat applicable: I think we're purging the guys feeling they're superstars so they're uncoachable from the roster for guys that are hungry to prove themselves. As much as Robert Royal doesn't excite me - it's not like Winslow has Tampa Bay improved over last year. He's a TE that will only block DBs smaler than he because I never once saw him handle 1 DE/OLB. IMO, that's a liability to our running game when we have to bring in a TE that WILL block the edge because Superstar says that ain't my job. AND, unless Braylon actually opens up to coaching anywhere - he's never going to stop dropping passes. It's one thing to nod your head and say okay but it's another thing to actually apply it. If he thought Cleveland media and fans were mean - just wait until he sees how NY columnists handle WRs that drop passes frequently.

- Tom F.

You forgot the most important one.. Win the points battle. not trying to be a complete ass here...but all your points could go south.. if we get some points on the board in some fashion.. we can win. All the things you point out can go our way and we can still fail to put up points and lose the game.. So we have to get points on the board. Period.

DA is our biggest obstacle to winning IMO

LOL! Thanks Sez! I didn't forget the most important one and I don't think you're an ass at all. That said, let me clarify every point made:

1) Turnovers. Somebody carried Harrison's fumble 71 yards for a TD when we were thinking 3 points as a worst case scenario right? Could that have been the game winning points?

2) Time of Possession. Cincy owned the 1st quarter and they were up 14-0. We owned the next 3 and outscored them 20-6. How does this happen if we can't block anybody upfront?

3) Line of scrimmage. While our running game and passing game improved our defensive front held the opponent's RB from looking like Walter Payton for the first time all season. Scoreboard proved to be kinder, gentler if you will

4) Field position. It definitely helped on every occasion we didn't turn the ball over. Most teams even those that win on Sundays turn it over at least once or twice. Winless teams have to reduce to one or none IMO.

5) Little things? How about perfecting timing between Qb and target. I saw 2 passes that seemed to be right on the money when Royal and Furrey were breaking out of their cuts. This is something we can improve from every party involved IMO. Securing the football better when more defenders are coming JUST to strip the ball. WRs/TEs picking up 1 more block downfield so we can spring something further. Strip the opponent when the occasion arises. There's plenty more...

6) Intelligence, vision and discipline can always be better. That's why many teams have players looking at photos from aerial views on the sidelines. I think our Defense displayed this some over the final 3 quarters vrs the first quarter. Our oline and receivers need to pick up blitz adjustments as does the does the QB. I thought we were good w/ limiting penalties that lead to an opponent's first down or making our line to gain further than it needed to be.

I still believe these are keys to victory because without them - that scoreboard gets ugly as we've seen in weeks 1-3. After our discussion here, the 1 amendment I would make is do all 6 for 60 minutes instead of 40-45 minutes.

Not trying to excuse anything but there's alot of NEW guys to this team/starting lineup working on chemistry. Last week was the first hint of it beginning to work. I'd be lying if I told you it didn't leave me feeling a whole lot better than the first 3 weeks.

I don't care who it is but deep down everyone was happy to see us with our 1st chance to win a game in 4 tries.

- Tom F.

If we dont get at least moderate pressure on edwards and if we fail to stay on top of ME-O this scenario could happen...;)

You forgot to add the real key to success..DROP THE BROWN PANTS FOR THIS GAME! hehehehe

If I am not mistaken, the Bill's O-line has two rookies on the inside and two second string tackles starting. All four combined, have less starts than the centre who is facing one of the scariest DT's in the game.

The blitzes are going to come from everywhere and hopefully Ryan moves some of our key linebackers around to keep everyone confused. The last thing we want is for Edwards to have time to get in sync with Owens and Evans.

You're right about our o-line.

As I posted in the other thread, Trent struggles tremendously with the 3-4 defense and he has yet to get in sync this year with TO/Evans.

Blitzes should pressure Trent very nice and the only thing you have to worry about here is if he checks it downright away. (No one can checkdown like Trent)

One key on offense that will win the game for us is to send both MoMass and Robiskie deep. Buffalo's secondary is hurtin bad and neither of these guys is even known to the opponent. if both go intermediate to deep frequently, the underneath stuff is going to be huge for the rest of the recievers and our running game will flourish. Robiskie is way down the depth chart but it would be a good exercise just to have him run down the field frequently. Wear the Safeties and Corners out and who knows he might get open a few times.

Use the deep ball to open up the rest of the play book.

Archived