BrownsFan4Evr

Are you freakin kiddin me!!!!!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale....xml&coll=2

Cleveland Browns can chalk up victory over Buffalo Bills' miscues

Kicking team stars as Browns win first game under Mangini

Monday, October 12, 2009

Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Browns on Sunday answered a question that was starting to creep into everyone's mind. No, they won't lose them all.

They prevailed over the Buffalo Bills, 6-3, in a game that had as many total points as Browns dropped passes (nine) and Buffalo false-start penalties (nine).

If you thought it was painful to watch on TV, consider the hearty faithful of 70,526 predominantly Bills fans in Ralph Wilson Stadium who paid to witness it. Anger and despair poured out of the building after Buffalo's final, desperate play ended in a fumble after three laterals.

Advertisement

"We lost to the worst team in the NFL at home," an elderly fan said departing the stadium.

Another one, younger and angrier, declared, "Both teams are a disgrace."

The Browns became the first team in 10 years to win a game while completing two or fewer passes. Cincinnati did it in a 2000 game against Denver when Corey Dillon rushed for 278 yards, then the NFL single-game record.

The Browns were able to overcome a 2-of-17 passing game by Derek Anderson on 117 yards rushing by Jamal Lewis, a superlative effort on special teams and 60 minutes of play by the defense.

Coach Eric Mangini was all smiles after securing his first win in five tries as Browns coach. He called the outcome "fantastic" and said he couldn't be happier. In the confines of the locker room, Mangini was awarded the game ball. It's a wonder he didn't drop it.

"A win always heals everything," special-teams captain Joshua Cribbs said.

Swirling winds gusting up to 34 mph reduced the game to a tug-of-war of field position. In the battle of two of the best special-teams units in the NFL, the Browns dominated.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big bad swirling winds made one of the most powerful-armed qb's in the NFL cry ?

egad. Anderson has to go.

Mangini is happy about the running game. and the defense. and special teams, which were OUTSTANDING.

Every NFL post game show was LAUGHING at the Browns, and Mangini "couldn't be happier?" I guarantee you ANY top 5 college team could beat the Browns, and the coach is "HAPPY" with the way they played? They should have been hanging their heads in SHAME and skulking out of the stadium. That was ridiculous.

Guest Masters
We are starting to get some pressure on the QB, and the run D has been very good as of lately.

That was the first game the run D has been good.

I wouldn't put to much stock in CLE stopping the BUF running game or getting pressure on Edwards considering the state of the Bill OL right now.

We dont have enough talent to compete, We dont have the best or even a decent OC, We were favoured to go 0 - 16 and we manage to get a win against a team that has more talent than us. But there are still some greedy fans out there who want us to win sexy when even a win can only be considered a miracle. And to those fans i say - come back in 5 years.

You guys are histerical. WE WON! Coaches don't watch the game from a fans perspective. They don't care how they win, the ONLY goal is to win and we did. Of course their going to have to fix A LOT of things this week (17att, 8drops) but he has every right to be happy about a win. And so do we.

You guys are histerical. WE WON! Coaches don't watch the game from a fans perspective. They don't care how they win, the ONLY goal is to win and we did. Of course their going to have to fix A LOT of things this week (17att, 8drops) but he has every right to be happy about a win. And so do we.

I agree with you totally. I think that Mangini wasn't happy about some of the statistical parts of the game but we got the W and in this league, the W is all that matters. It wasn't pretty and I'm not expecting us to run the table or make the playoffs because of 1 win but at least we won't go 0 - 16.

Every NFL post game show was LAUGHING at the Browns, and Mangini "couldn't be happier?" I guarantee you ANY top 5 college team could beat the Browns, and the coach is "HAPPY" with the way they played? They should have been hanging their heads in SHAME and skulking out of the stadium. That was ridiculous.

Are you just joking or are you really stupid enough to believe that a college team could beat any pro team?

Guest ATENEARS
In the battle of two of the best special-teams units in the NFL, the Browns dominated.

LOL, that's about as good as you could dress up the description of this game. That should have been the title of the story.

He should be happy. Do you think road wins in the NFL are easy?

His defense played great, his special teams played great, and when the chips were down his team came through.

Great win. I'm happy too.

Zombo

We dont have enough talent to compete, We dont have the best or even a decent OC, We were favoured to go 0 - 16 and we manage to get a win against a team that has more talent than us. But there are still some greedy fans out there who want us to win sexy when even a win can only be considered a miracle. And to those fans i say - come back in 5 years.

Favored to go 0-16? So, what you are saying is that Anderson gives us no better a chance to win that Quinn or Ratliff of that matter.

And yet, we continue to play the guy that we know what he already is. At least put in Ratliff so we can see if he can develop.

Being "happy" about this win, is like being "happy" your teenage daughter is "just pregnant" and not also on drugs!

Do you have any idea what the Steelers are gonna do to us next week? DA SUCKS, Quinn PROBABLY sucks, I don't know, Ratliff can do no worse. WHY keep DA in the game? Let Ratliff play. He's Mangini's "boy" anyway.

i always knew that special teams could decide a game, but i didn't know it could be the ONLY thing to decide the game.

The punt coverage team deserves the game ball on this one. I mean, has anyone EVER seen a punt downed INSIDE the one-yard-line THREE TIMES during a game before!?!? And then to recover that fumble to set up the go-ahead score? It was the best game by an individual unit that anyone could ask for.

Congrats on your first win Browns fans.

Browsing these boards, it struck me how eerily similar Browns fans can be to Jets fans. We masochistic Jets fans have been in misery for so long that even when good things happen, we manage to find something to complain about. I can’t remember how many times Jets fans would complain that even though the Jets won, they didn’t do it in the “right way”.

I’m sure 34mph wind gust had something (in fact…a lot) to do with the way the game looked or played out. In bad weather like yesterday’s game, field position and good running game are extremely important and in these respective areas, the Browns came through with flying colors. Sure, they didn’t look pretty and the Bills are not one of the upper echelon teams but I think a lot of good things are being negated/overlooked just because they didn’t look pretty doing it.

Mangini gets blasted two weeks ago because the national media convinces everyone that his team isn't playing for him and then his defense pours its heart out two weeks in a row, eeks out its first win and you want him to come out and say "this team sucks" . . . "we don't deserve to be on an NFL field??"

Some of you people have gotten so trapped in a pattern of negativity that you are not even capable of rational thought.

Who cares what the national media thinks. That was an ugly win, but, but for a strip of Harrison for a TD we would have beaten the top team in our division the week before and we've had two solid weeks of good defensive play. Areas of this team are showing improvement. Say Buffalo sucks all you want. They scored 25 points against the Patriots, 33 the next week and we are the first team to hold them without a TD. We ran the ball well this week for the second week in a row and played outstanding special teams for the second week in a row. So for two weeks we've seen good pass defense, good run defense, good run offense, excellent special teams. We've been missing only a good passing game -- and it wasn't terrible against Cincy. And Mangini's supposed to pout?

I hope the national media keeps on the Browns. The "us against the world" thing seems to be working for Mangini.

Mangini gets blasted two weeks ago because the national media convinces everyone that his team isn't playing for him and then his defense pours its heart out two weeks in a row, eeks out its first win and you want him to come out and say "this team sucks" . . . "we don't deserve to be on an NFL field??"

Some of you people have gotten so trapped in a pattern of negativity that you are not even capable of rational thought.

Who cares what the national media thinks. That was an ugly win, but, but for a strip of Harrison for a TD we would have beaten the top team in our division the week before and we've had two solid weeks of good defensive play. Areas of this team are showing improvement. Say Buffalo sucks all you want. They scored 25 points against the Patriots, 33 the next week and we are the first team to hold them without a TD. We ran the ball well this week for the second week in a row and played outstanding special teams for the second week in a row. So for two weeks we've seen good pass defense, good run defense, good run offense, excellent special teams. We've been missing only a good passing game -- and it wasn't terrible against Cincy. And Mangini's supposed to pout?

I hope the national media keeps on the Browns. The "us against the world" thing seems to be working for Mangini.

I expect an NFL team to PLAY like an NFL team. What I saw yesterday was embarrassing to me as a LIFETIME Browns fan. THAT was NOT professional football, and if you're happy with that performance, your standards are much lower than mine.

The big bad swirling winds made one of the most powerful-armed qb's in the NFL cry ?

Mangini is happy about the running game. and the defense. and special teams, which were OUTSTANDING.

10 dropped passes plus dabolls anemic insidious gamecalling and most of it cant be blamed exclusively on DA...its a timing thing with new WRs and the other part is a poor offensive scheme..will it get better? No never

Am i talking to myself? yes

Is this unbelievable and insidious victory mangini couldnt be happier about going to save his or dabolls neck? Likely

I love cribbs optimism but that win cant erase whats about to happen for at least the next 4 games...

You should have seen NFL Gameday Final (Deion Sanders, Steve Mariucci, Rich Eisen)--at first they debated as to whether they were contractually obligated to discuss this pathetic game and then Eisen does the highlights of the special teams only, excitedly calling it an epic "Punter's Duel", while Sanders and Mariucci crack up laughing.

And Mangini calls it a "fantastic game" and Anderson says he "did good".

The Browns are a bad team. They aren't going to win many games this year.

Mankok is also top to bottom rebuilding. It is a word you don't hear much anymore, but it is a prevelant word with today's Browns. Why are they top to bottom rebuilding in the modern NFL era when that style of management has been made obsolete by salary caps and FA? Be my guest.

You should have seen NFL Gameday Final (Deion Sanders, Steve Mariucci, Rich Eisen)--at first they debated as to whether they were contractually obligated to discuss this pathetic game and then Eisen does the highlights of the special teams only, excitedly calling it an epic "Punter's Duel", while Sanders and Mariucci crack up laughing.

And Mangini calls it a "fantastic game" and Anderson says he "did good".

who cares. fcuk them. these are the same people that spend half an hour talking about the Giants-Cowboys game like it was the only game that week.

So sorry no one can appreciate a good defensive battle. Pussies.

Guest Masters

Yesterday was hardly a good defensive battle. You had two of the worst offenses in the NFL competing to see who was more inept.

What part of DA putting passes right in guys hands and having 9 of them dropped had to do with him? Out guys dropped enough passes in one game to make Braylon green with envy.

who cares. fcuk them. these are the same people that spend half an hour talking about the Giants-Cowboys game like it was the only game that week.

A defensive battle requires two good defenses. Our defense gave up 29.5 Points Per Game in the first four games. If that is involved, one must conclude that the defense is god awful. THAT WAS NOT A DEFENSIVE BATTLE.

Pumpkin Eater, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

What part of DA putting passes right in guys hands and having 9 of them dropped had to do with him? Out guys dropped enough passes in one game to make Braylon green with envy.

Wrong. When you are misfiring the ball and putting the ball where the reciever doesn't expect it, you are asking for a drop. It is why DA has so many "cough cough" dropped balls. Amazing people don't realize that.

Archived