THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs on block??

ballpeen

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte...erest_in_b.html

Dolphins showing interest in Browns’ Cribbs

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 09:34 PM

Miami’s “WildDawg” formation might be about to get a little bit wilder.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the Dolphins are showing interest in trading for Cleveland Browns receiver/kick returner Joshua Cribbs.

The NFL trade deadline is Oct. 20 and Cribbs’ representatives have been seeking a new deal for their client since the offseason.

I’m told that negotiations on a new contract for Cribbs are at a stalemate and not to rule out a trade. It was not made clear whether or not the Browns would entertain offers for Cribbs, so a call was placed to Browns headquarters but GM George Kokinis was unavailable for comment.

Cribbs has three years remaining on a six-year, $6.7 million contract he signed in 2006, but is vastly undervalued with the current deal. The former Pro Bowler is scheduled to make $720,000 this season and $735,000, $750,000, $890,000 over the next three years.

In my opinion, the Browns are getting Cribbs on the cheap when you compare those numbers to his performance.

Cribbs brings a lot to the table, both on and off the field, and the Browns could do a lot worse with their money. With the trade deadline looming, it will be interesting to see if talks heat up. If not, this may give representatives for Cribbs leverage to demand a trade if the organization fails to negotiate.

Can things get any worse in Cleveland?

Cheap seems to be the law of the mankok regime..and if cribbs hasnt proven he is worth much more than he is getting paid to mangini yet...he isnt going too..i consider cribbs a staple and the only true star that this team has..daboll doesnt use him enough due to a lack of football knowledge and creativity in this clubs offensive sets and at miami he would be used in the WildDawg scheme a whole bunch...it would make a lot of sense for miami to pursue him and unfortunately it would make a lot of sense for cribbs to be interested..

Man we cant afford to lose him...

Thanks peen!

No problem.

Seeing as we don't use the guy for much other than kicks, and Miami would, I think we may trade him.

It won't be popular, but if this is the boat we are on, then a trade might be our best move.

I would think Cribbs would bring considerable value to the Fins. They may really want to go spread/option type football, and Cribbs would be a great addition...that said, I would seek qb level compensation....2 fairly high...like 2nd this year and a potential 1st the following based on his accumulated numbers over the rest of this season and next.

Guest CardDawg

regardless of the Browns reasonings; I watched the Monday Night football game and it seemed as though Miami already has a few too many WildDawg players that they can't even get into the game. They spent a first round draft pick on a P/K returner in Ted Ginn Jr.

I can't believe this would be the team to deal Cribbs too, unless the Browns were getting a WR or RB out of the deal in a sign and trade. I think someone watch the same game i did and thought of the idea of using Cribbs in that set and here we are today caught up in yet another trade rumor. Geez, the Brady Quinn thing hasn't even gotten cold yet.

no way this deal gets done. it would be terrible for many reasons: the first being that we would be getting rid of the only player who can get us into scoring position. the second being that he is the leader of the team on and off the field. the third, and the biggest, reason being that he is by far the fan's favorite and mankok knows that if they get rid of him they won't sell out a game for two seasons. he stays put and hopefully gets a better contract this offseason. i can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

'Peen, you been sippin' this morning??

LOL.....no, never before 4pm during the week unless it is a after round beer or 2 when I play a early round of golf.

I know it seems high, but i have to take a look at what they may gain. Cribbs was a qb. If that is their intent, my intent is to get compensated.

Really...a 2nd would be about it, but hey, might as well try.

Cheap seems to be the law of the mankok regime..and if cribbs hasnt proven he is worth much more than he is getting paid to mangini yet...he isnt going too..i consider cribbs a staple and the only true star that this team has..daboll doesnt use him enough due to a lack of football knowledge and creativity in this clubs offensive sets and at miami he would be used in the WildDawg scheme a whole bunch...it would make a lot of sense for miami to pursue him and unfortunately it would make a lot of sense for cribbs to be interested..

Man we cant afford to lose him...

Thanks peen!

I really don't know if I could keep rooting for this team if they traded cribbs... Its already getting hard to even care.

Horrible idea.

Flies right in the face of that whole "gives us the best chance to win" line Manginer has been coughing up.

Cribbs didn't prove to be a successful WR in this system (20 second timeout: do we have someone in the skilled positions that could considered 'a success'? No.)

So for a return guy, Cribbs is making bank. As for the value he brings to the Browns, he's getting seriously ripped off. Like, Ponzi scheme status.

if cribbs is traded I will have completly lost all faith in this organization. Hes the one "playmaker" on this team. the field position he provides for our pathetic offense is the only hope they have at scoring. Plus I just got the wife an authentic Cribbs jersey for her Bday. That will be 3 in a row. mother effer.

I do not buy it guys...

Cribbs is a playmaker..and while he was a bit bitchy in the offseason has shut up and done his job thus far..i expect he will get rewarded based on this season...he is doing more than ever...and hes back to gunning on special teams as well...would be a sad day if they traded him...unless of course the trade was too good to be true..like a 1st and a player or 2...and i mean like a good player or 2..haha...

Packers fans keep stirring up that we are trading Joe Thomas to them as well...good luck with THAT!

If they traded JT poop will hit the ceiling fan...and sling all over the room.

Guest CardDawg

Who was the kid we had returning punts in the preseason? He looked pretty good as a Cribbs replacement. Is he still on the roster?

I think when Cribbs didn't make it as a receiver that it blew up any contract talks. Teams knocking on the door may spend big bucks for a P/K returner to get them to the promise land. Do we really need to have our best player be a P/K returner though? Seems kind of like bragging that at the entrepreneur convention that your compact car gets great gas mileage.

Who was the kid we had returning punts in the preseason? He looked pretty good as a Cribbs replacement. Is he still on the roster?

I think when Cribbs didn't make it as a receiver that it blew up any contract talks. Teams knocking on the door may spend big bucks for a P/K returner to get them to the promise land. Do we really need to have our best player be a P/K returner though? Seems kind of like bragging that at the entrepreneur convention that your compact car gets great gas mileage.

Gerard Lawson

gerard lawson......

i guess im the only one that doesn't mind this. yes, he's a playmaker, and my opinion has no bearing on his ability. the sad reality is that we need as many picks as we can get to get this shitbox turned around.

Can you seriously imagine a 2nd round pick adding as much value to this team as Cribbs?

I think the odds of that are not in our favor.

Imagine if we'd done this deal in the offseason: we would have traded Cribbs for Robiske.

Cough up the big money, and sign Cribbs to a long term deal. This isn't the same as dealing Winslow, Edwards, or even Quinn.

Josh Cribbs is a kick and punt returner. As you guys have seen he is nothing other than that.

I love Josh Cribbs but he signed a deal and took bonus money up front and now wants a new deal. If he likes it or not we don't have to pay him shit. He can hold out all he wants and lose out on money (I think they get fined every day that they hold out) and come back on opening day and return kicks.

Guest CardDawg

Isn't running the WildDawg offense too much like playing in a dome stadium? I couldn't imagine it on the shores of Lake Erie or even anywhere near the AFC North division.

Cribbs' value to this team goes beyond returning punts/kicks. He's a force on coverage units. He has a 31 yard run from scrimmage. He's a hedge should we look to include WildDawg packages. Finally, and maybe most valuable, is he's a consummate professional. I think that last point is highly valued by EM.

I've told the stories before, but here's two on Cribbs that make me a fan for life:

- Cribbs was the marquee player to come to the autograph tent at training camp 2 years ago when I had my kids with me. At the time they were 4, 6, and 8. Josh greeted each kid personally with a "Hey little man" or "Hi sweetie" (sons and daughter). Looked them in the eye, and signed their minature footballs. Cribbs just oozed "real".

- Mike and Mike had Speilman on their show after the Brandon Marshall drama broke. Speilman had been vocal about how offended he was by Marshall's antics. On Mike and Mike he said somthing to the effect of (paraphrased): "There's a way to go about maximizing your contract and Marshall is not doing it. Look at a guy like Joshua Cribbs in Cleveland. Here's a guy who is clearly underpaid and yet he goes to work every day, plays hard, is an example for his teammates and negotiates in private with the ball club."

Cribbs is a keeper.

The Dolphins just drafted Pat White in the SECOND ROUND - 44th overall.

They aren't trading for Cribbs... squintz

THANK YOU. I was going to say just that.

Pat White is the kind of player drafted because other teams saw what Josh Cribbs means to the Browns.

A very important talented playmaker.

I would love to see him play safety a little...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte...erest_in_b.html

Dolphins showing interest in Browns’ Cribbs

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 09:34 PM

Miami’s “WildDawg” formation might be about to get a little bit wilder.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the Dolphins are showing interest in trading for Cleveland Browns receiver/kick returner Joshua Cribbs.

The NFL trade deadline is Oct. 20 and Cribbs’ representatives have been seeking a new deal for their client since the offseason.

I’m told that negotiations on a new contract for Cribbs are at a stalemate and not to rule out a trade. It was not made clear whether or not the Browns would entertain offers for Cribbs, so a call was placed to Browns headquarters but GM George Kokinis was unavailable for comment.

Cribbs has three years remaining on a six-year, $6.7 million contract he signed in 2006, but is vastly undervalued with the current deal. The former Pro Bowler is scheduled to make $720,000 this season and $735,000, $750,000, $890,000 over the next three years.

In my opinion, the Browns are getting Cribbs on the cheap when you compare those numbers to his performance.

Cribbs brings a lot to the table, both on and off the field, and the Browns could do a lot worse with their money. With the trade deadline looming, it will be interesting to see if talks heat up. If not, this may give representatives for Cribbs leverage to demand a trade if the organization fails to negotiate.

Can things get any worse in Cleveland?

This Browns team is reminding me more and more like the Indians!! Man, if Lebron leaves the Cavs they might as well shutdown the City of Cleveland as far as Professional Sports go. Cleveland fans don't deserve the BS that these sorry ass owners and M's are doing to these teams!!

There is NOTHING that the Miami Dolphins can offer for us to give him up in a trade to them! Cribbs is the best player on this team and to not pay him would be a mistake! Just ridiculous!! The ONLY way I trade him is for a starting QB straight up and no one will do that!

Guys don't buy into this, I live in Dayton and Carlos "Big C" Holmes is a xxxxing moron! If this thing had any legs whatsoever we would hear about it from more reputable sources than this douche bag! No way after Mangini trading away every weapon this team has will they trade our last, aint happening. Dont worry this guy has written shit like this before that never came to fruition, he's a xxxxing idiot with no sources whos trying to get people to read his column!

Someone earlier in this thread said a 2nd rounder and a 2011 1st rounder for Cribbs.

You guys will be lucky to get a 4th rounder for him IMO. MAYBE a team is silly enough and gives up a 3rd rounder.

I like Cribbs and he's one of the best return men in the game right now....but no one is going to give up as much as you guys probably think he's worth.

Archived