THE BROWNS BOARD

Current sports trivia

The Gipper

To LNC:

Question 1 is not right. Chicago had a title as recently as 2005 when the White Sox won (the question was about the city, not a specific team)

Q #4. The one's you name are correct, but the answer is not totally complete

Qs 5, 6, 11, 12 are all correct.

Hmm, OK then, now that I have read for comprehension, how about San Diego as the answer for #1

#4 I'd have to look it up and cheat. I can't think of another.....

I believe the "Broncos" played in Cleveland....but I also think it was technically spelled "Bronchos".

I want to say that the Innocents were one of the Chicago teams.

And I believe the Orphan played in a town that no longer has a major league team, like Troy or something. Maybe not.

You're right on the Broncos being Cleveland. Not sure about the spelling, I'll have to look.

You're 180 out on the Innocents/Orphans. The Orphans are the present day Cubs. They were also called the Colts AND they were the original Chicago White Stockings, the White Sox of the AL didn't come into being until 1900 and they took the old Cubs name. I'd love to find out why they called themselves the Orphans, LOL!

The Alleghany Innocents are today's Pittsburgh Pirates

Gipper, here is the question that i answered. Memphis currently has a team and hasn't had a championship (that i know of)- and that's a long time. i enjoy these quizzes, even though i know very few answers.

OK, but riddle me this: When did Memphis win it LAST championship? If you wish to say that Memphis is the answer because it, being a current major league town, has never had a championship in one of the 4 major sports then what about New Orleans, Sacramento, Columbus, Nashville, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Oklahoma City. All current Major league towns, all have never enjoyed a championship....just like Memphis

Hmm, OK then, now that I have read for comprehension, how about San Diego as the answer for #1

#4 I'd have to look it up and cheat. I can't think of another.....

You're right on the Broncos being Cleveland. Not sure about the spelling, I'll have to look.

You're 180 out on the Innocents/Orphans. The Orphans are the present day Cubs. They were also called the Colts AND they were the original Chicago White Stockings, the White Sox of the AL didn't come into being until 1900 and they took the old Cubs name. I'd love to find out why they called themselves the Orphans, LOL!

The Alleghany Innocents are today's Pittsburgh Pirates

San Diego is not it either....someone else guessed that. (However, if I said "US" major city, it would be right!....but I didn't)

These are pretty much straightforward sports questions on this set. A couple of quirks, maybe, but not really.

I won't let these hang over the weekend. Answers:

1. What city that currently has a team in one of the major sports (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) has gone the longest since its last championship?

Vancouver last won a Stanley Cup in 1915 and have been waiting for another title since. That team was called "The Millionaires". While it is true that for a long stretch of time, Vancouver didn't have an NHL team (or any other big league team) they still have been waiting the longest. Next, in the same vein is Ottawa, no title since 1927 when a former Ottawa Senators franchise last won. In the US, it is San Diego, no title since the Chargers 1963 AFL title. Then of course, comes Cleveland :angry:

(will the Cavs finally change that?)

2. What is the last year a city/region won two titles in the same year. (and for this purpose, a Super Bowl win counts for the year in which the season is played, thus 2009 for Pittsburgh would not count, as it was the 2008 season in which the Steelers won the title)

2004 Boston/NE Red Sox and Patriots both won during the 2004 season. (If either of the LA teams win the WS, or if Pittspuke would again win the SB, then we would have a dual winner in the 2009 seasons)

3. The Yankees and Phillies have a chance to meet in the World Series. They have met one time before in a WS. Name the year and the result.

1950 Yankees sweep 4-0

4. If the Angels and Dodgers make the World Series, it would be the first all LA area WS. Except for the New York area, where it has happened many times, name the other cities/metro areas that have hosted an "All City/metro area" World Series. Try to give the citie, year, and teams.

1906 Chicago. White Sox and Cubs

1944 St. Louis. Cardinals and St. Louis Browns (nka Baltimore Orioles)

1989 Bay Area. Oakland As and San Francisco Giants.

5. How many times has a team from New York won the World Series? Give the teams and number of titles for each if possible.

Brooklyn Dodgers 1 (1955), Mets 2 ('69 and '86) Giants 5 (last in 1954). Yankees (26....all bought and paid for)

6. Name the 6 teams that have "waited longer" than the Browns to win an NFL title. (i.e. they had to have been in existance before 1964)

Cardinals, since 1947 (in Chicago)

Lions, since 1957

Eagles, since 1960

Vikings, since 1960 year of origin

Tits/Oilers, since 1961 AFL title

Chargers, since 1963 AFL title

7. John Wooden turns 99 today. How many NCAA titles did he win with UCLA?

Ten (10)

8. How many years did Wooden coach UCLA before winning his first NCAA title?

Fifteen years (15). He won his first title in his 16th season as Bruins HC. He began there in 1948.

9. Which current NFL head coach coaches in the same city in which he was born.

Gary Kubiak was born in Houston Texas and coach the Houston DumbAssTexans

10. What do current Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels, current Atlanta Falcons GM Tom Dimitroff, former Chiefs HC John Mackovic and former Michigan coach Bo Schembechler all have specifically in common?

They were all born in Barberton, Ohio, same as yours truly :P

11. Give all the names that the Angels have officially gone by at one time or another.

The Los Angeles Angels, the California Angels, the Anaheim Angels, the Los Angeles Angels at Anaheim

12. This question is for the birds:

A. Which current MLB playoff team was once known as the Blue Jays? The Phillies

B. Which current MLB playoff team was once known as the Orioles? The Yankees

C. Which current MLB playoff team was once known as the Robins? The Dodgers

OK, but riddle me this: When did Memphis win it LAST championship? If you wish to say that Memphis is the answer because it, being a current major league town, has never had a championship in one of the 4 major sports then what about New Orleans, Sacramento, Columbus, Nashville, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Oklahoma City. All current Major league towns, all have never enjoyed a championship....just like Memphis

Agreed. Memphis tied with all those cities. You didn't say that you wanted us to name them all. i forgot about Sacremento.

Archived