THE BROWNS BOARD

how to coach a qb....

Solon16

Who is this QB?

When I got him after two years there, he was pretty beat up mentally. He played 'concerned.' Not scared, but he played like he was afraid to make a mistake, so he didn't play well. We had to get him to take a 'let-it-rip' mentality. If he made a mistake, I took the blame. Bad play call. Once he realized we believed in him, he played to his capability. He did whatever we told him to. We told him not to do certain things, he didn't do them.

"Ninety percent of teaching is believing in the pupil and him knowing you believe in him. He believed that we believed in him."

Who is this QB?

When I got him after two years there, he was pretty beat up mentally. He played 'concerned.' Not scared, but he played like he was afraid to make a mistake, so he didn't play well. We had to get him to take a 'let-it-rip' mentality. If he made a mistake, I took the blame. Bad play call. Once he realized we believed in him, he played to his capability. He did whatever we told him to. We told him not to do certain things, he didn't do them.

"Ninety percent of teaching is believing in the pupil and him knowing you believe in him. He believed that we believed in him."

spergon wynn

Nice quote, Solon. Interesting stuff.

I would agree that 90% of teaching is getting the student to actually believe they have the ability to get things done.

It's not even about having natural talent. The talent sets the ceiling but the confidence and desire set the floor.

The key thing in this quote, to me, is the idea of TRUST. A player has to TRUST that a coach will allow him the space to let his ability come out. Lack of trust is deadly in all relationships but I'd think especially so in the high-stakes sports world.

I've never played football but I'd imagine I'd want to KNOW that a coach has my back. Not just THINK he does. It would absolutely matter to me, just like it matters to me in my job.

Trust and respect really are key. Without those two things, no relationship will survive, let alone one predicated on victory as a condition of the relationship continuing.

Nice quote, Solon. Interesting stuff.

I would agree that 90% of teaching is getting the student to actually believe they have the ability to get things done.

It's not even about having natural talent. The talent sets the ceiling but the confidence and desire set the floor.

The key thing in this quote, to me, is the idea of TRUST. A player has to TRUST that a coach will allow him the space to let his ability come out. Lack of trust is deadly in all relationships but I'd think especially so in the high-stakes sports world.

I've never played football but I'd imagine I'd want to KNOW that a coach has my back. Not just THINK he does. It would absolutely matter to me, just like it matters to me in my job.

Trust and respect really are key. Without those two things, no relationship will survive, let alone one predicated on victory as a condition of the relationship continuing.

There is no way you can ever "know" the coach has your back. Your wife isn't cheating on you. The kid is yours (unless you have a DNA test). You have to have faith in these things. The only thing you "know" is yourself, sometimes. ;)

Who is this QB?

I would say that clearly this is not the philosophy that governed the coaching of BQ. It's what Mangini SAID he was going to do (choose a QB and stick with him) but it's not what he did and I wonder how much the individuals involved sensed that.

Who is this QB?

Either Steve Young or Brett Favre

I would say that clearly this is not the philosophy that governed the coaching of BQ. It's what Mangini SAID he was going to do (choose a QB and stick with him) but it's not what he did and I wonder how much the individuals involved sensed that.

Here's what we don't know... Maybe Mangini said to Quinn before the first game "Let 'er rip, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out" and Quinn didn't. Then maybe game two he says to Quinn "Let 'er rip, let's create some excitement, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out" and Quinn didn't, maybe even starts telling him how they can make changes in the offense. Then maybe game three he says to Quinn "Let 'er rip, let's create some excitement, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out" and Quinn still plays dink and dunk. After half time Mangini's fed up with a QB that won't let loose like he wants and goes to DA and says "Let 'er rip, let's create some excitement, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out"... DA creates a little excitement, at the expense of 3 mostly meaningless ints, and Mangini's thinkin' "Now that's what I'm talking about, we've got a start and now we can work on eliminating the mistakes and working on other parts of the team's game....."

Mangini HASN'T dumped DA for trying to make something happen... maybe he feels Quinn didn't even try... you'd have to be inside his head to really know what he's thinking. Maybe one QB is doing what Mangini has been asking for all along, while the other wasn't.

I'm sure people will jump all over me for making this kind of speculation, but the truth is Mangini is doing with DA exactly what some posters wanted him to do with Quinn. Why would he treat DA better than Quinn unless there was something in the background we're all unaware of?

Here's what we don't know... Maybe Mangini said to Quinn before the first game "Let 'er rip, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out" and Quinn didn't. Then maybe game two he says to Quinn "Let 'er rip, let's create some excitement, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out" and Quinn didn't, maybe even starts telling him how they can make changes in the offense. Then maybe game three he says to Quinn "Let 'er rip, let's create some excitement, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out" and Quinn still plays dink and dunk. After half time Mangini's fed up with a QB that won't let loose like he wants and goes to DA and says "Let 'er rip, let's create some excitement, I won't jump your case if it doesn't pan out"... DA creates a little excitement, at the expense of 3 mostly meaningless ints, and Mangini's thinkin' "Now that's what I'm talking about, we've got a start and now we can work on eliminating the mistakes and working on other parts of the team's game....."

Mangini HASN'T dumped DA for trying to make something happen... maybe he feels Quinn didn't even try... you'd have to be inside his head to really know what he's thinking. Maybe one QB is doing what Mangini has been asking for all along, while the other wasn't.

I'm sure people will jump all over me for making this kind of speculation, but the truth is Mangini is doing with DA exactly what some posters wanted him to do with Quinn. Why would he treat DA better than Quinn unless there was something in the background we're all unaware of?

Of course, you're correct in the sense that we DON'T know what the playcalls or expectations were. It seemed to me that Quinn was under a lot of pressure to succeed in his hometown. It seems like he was eager to check down off of any deep throws. The offense with Quinn just seemed stalled. Teams weren't respecting his arm and he wasn't doing much to dissuade them from doing so. Perhaps DA has followed the coaching staff's wishes more closely. Maybe DA's mistakes on game day don't rub them wrong like Quinn's might (I don't know this...I am speculating).

Unless you know what the play call was....what the execution was supposed to be....and what it turned out to be.... I don't see how you can really argue with who's playing or not playing QB for this team because to my eye,....they're the same. They're both about the same just with different pros and cons. Discerning who's better is an exercise in futility.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility that perhaps Mangini never really liked Quinn as a player but he felt that he earned a chance to start (or Lerner forced him to play the home town kid) and then when he wasn't doing whatever it was that Mangini wanted him to...he got benched.

Another question on my mind is "how popular is Quinn in the locker room". I'm not saying that he's more or less popular with his teammates but he DID get punched in the weight room (albeit by a malcontent). That doesn't strike me as a natural born leader. I think that he was under a great deal more stress than DA and he tightened up.

along with a lot of other(not treating men like men) things....this is at the core of gaining respect of your players and having them buy into your way of doing things....I agree others do sense that what this coach says may not be what he means which is not a good way of leading err managing err treating a TEAM~! not by any means do i mean bq is anygood....just that mangy may not be a man of his word...which is a death nell to me as far as coaching and trust go...JMO!

along with a lot of other(not treating men like men) things....this is at the core of gaining respect of your players and having them buy into your way of doing things.

Just out of curiosity, please give some examples of not treating men like men.

telling them who to sit by and where there lockers should be, making them take tests two times a week, extremely excessive fines for trivial shit, (he should just ground them)...lol, the secretive qb(i know im right) Bullsheet, the handling of Da Bq situation....etc etc etc....he'll have a very hard time having players buy into his system if he tells them one thing and does another....like "I'm picking the Qb and I'm sticking with him then after 2.5 games renigging on his "word". again JMO

You know, the guy's trying to build a team, not several groups of clicquish guys who don't bother to learn the playbook and act irresponsibly giving the team a bad name. The secretive QB bs was rather weird, but hardly and example of not treating men like men. I can see the locker location easily being justified, in fact players have said they appreciated it. Testing? If he had them draw flowers or answer questions irrelevant to the game of football you've got a point. The fines were not excessive at all when you look at their salaries. If I sent my employees somewhere and they skipped out on the honor bar bill, forcing me to cover it, I'd probably suspend them for a bit. You've got guys making 150K every Sunday whining about a trivial fine. I say suspend them for a game without pay.

I really wonder if the 2.5 games was a surprise to Quinn. Wasn't he quoted the week prior to the first game, saying something to the effect that he was cool with the competition even if it went well into the season. At the time I read that I thought it a bit unusual, somehow I think the team knew things weren't set in stone, who cares what's told to the media.

For the most part it seems Mangini is being pretty consistent about not putting up with individual players BS. Now that's treating men like men.

telling them who to sit by and where there lockers should be, making them take tests two times a week, extremely excessive fines for trivial shit, (he should just ground them)...lol, the secretive qb(i know im right) Bullsheet, the handling of Da Bq situation....etc etc etc....he'll have a very hard time having players buy into his system if he tells them one thing and does another....like "I'm picking the Qb and I'm sticking with him then after 2.5 games renigging on his "word". again JMO

http://inconceivablecorrection.ytmnd.com/

Who is this QB?

I'm gonna say Steve Young because Tampa wasn't an ego boost for any young QB gettign that culture shock.

- Tom F.

Archived