THE BROWNS BOARD

Joshua Cribbs

Cowsrus

I don't want to sound like a moron and I'm not sure if this was discussed or not (sorry if I'm repeating a topic). I haven't had much time to listen to the news but what were the chances that Cribbs really would have been traded and I know he says he's glad he's staying but how does everyone feel about it? Glad he's staying or wish he'd have been traded?

Heidi

he's been paid plenty.. just shut up and play. Certainly he is not asking for more based upon his amazing contributions as a reciever this year. he is being paid very very well as a special teamer.. no soup for you!

That is exactly what he has been doing. He has not caused any drama in my opinion. He never held out of anything that wasn't optional, and it seems like his kick returns alone count for half of our offense every game. He has also stated that he knows his contract will all depend on whether or not he can make the WildDawg work. If he can do that....pay the man.

That is exactly what he has been doing. He has not caused any drama in my opinion. He never held out of anything that wasn't optional, and it seems like his kick returns alone count for half of our offense every game. He has also stated that he knows his contract will all depend on whether or not he can make the WildDawg work. If he can do that....pay the man.

Making the WildDawg work for what.. 5-7 plays a game ..does not warrant a raise. He just got a raise..Tired of these greedy players. It started with northcutt a few years ago..he has one good year (one in how many?) then he his threatening holdout asking for money bla bla bla..yeah cribbs has not held out but he did mention it, the trade words were thrown about.. I hate it..If he did not want the contract he got 2 years ago he should have not signed it. He has not outplayed that contract..the ink is barely dry.

I don't want to sound like a moron and I'm not sure if this was discussed or not (sorry if I'm repeating a topic). I haven't had much time to listen to the news but what were the chances that Cribbs really would have been traded and I know he says he's glad he's staying but how does everyone feel about it? Glad he's staying or wish he'd have been traded?

Heidi

I adore the guy Heidi; especially when we consider we didn't even have to waste a draft pick on the guy in the first place. I think he's the best in the business on special teams. In 2007 when we won 10 games, I could tell you how often he gave our offense the football on the oppoent's side of the 50: but it paid dividends in the win-loss column.

If we had more guys that played with his heart, we'd be pretty tough to beat IMO.

- Tom F.

I adore the guy Heidi; especially when we consider we didn't even have to waste a draft pick on the guy in the first place. I think he's the best in the business on special teams. In 2007 when we won 10 games, I could tell you how often he gave our offense the football on the oppoent's side of the 50: but it paid dividends in the win-loss column.

If we had more guys that played with his heart, we'd be pretty tough to beat IMO.

- Tom F.

Tom,

IMHO, it is a total insult to refer to Josh Cribbs as a "special teamer".....he is MUCH more than that:

A team player extraordinaire

A leader by example

Willing to play WHEREVER he may be needed

NOT a fruity looking "dancerella" every time he scores (and his scores are usually spectacular)

The Browns BIGGEST asset & Fan draw.

He works & plays with an uncommon level of PRIDE & DETERMINATION

Am I obsessed with Cribbs as a player? You BET! I just wish we could "clone" him.

Mike

Tom,

IMHO, it is a total insult to refer to Josh Cribbs as a "special teamer".....he is MUCH more than that:

A leader by example

NOT a fruity looking "dancerella" every time he scores (and his scores are usually spectacular)

Am I obsessed with Cribbs as a player? You BET! I just wish we could "clone" him.

Mike

In value to the team

You'd have to put Cribbs third behind Shaun Rodgers and Joe Thomas in value to the team. (LOL DA has negative value right now) His deal will get reworked in the offseason. (well maybe DA's too.) What's vet minimum?

Sounds like Cribbs wants a long term deal- with most of the cash up front-if he has another great year- pay him if he does.

Just a special teamer, & KR?

In case you haven't noticed Josh is already arguably the best in both categories in the history of the Browns. Chicago fans might bitch, but you can make a pretty good case for him being the best special teamer in the NFL right now. I sure noticed the Steelers were so afraid of him breaking another one, they started pooching their kickoffs.

Tom,

A leader by example

Mike

You had a problem with me saying: "I adore Cribbs, I appreciated how times he set our offense up with the football on the opponent's side of the 50 in 2007 and if more players played with his heart on this team we be tough to beat?"

I said all offseason and summer long that I'd love to see Cribbs getting the ball in the open field on offense since his work in the open field seems to be his strength. I was really hoping he'd find a home in the slot since I think he has more courage than Northcutt ever had and he's a threat to score anytime he has the ball in open space. I explained more than once that in order to perfect a WR position - it requires more than an occasional appearance and it necessitates repetition in practice/game day as well as coaching for an unfamilar position if you will. I always reminded people that type of thing made him an All Pro return man in this league. BEFORE that, Phil was telling us we had nobody capable of filling Northcutt's shoes in the return game; so I guess I need to compliment Ted Daisher for working with Cribbs enough to make STs his claim to fame in this league. Until he finds a regular home/responsibility in our offense anywhere Mike - he's mostly going to be seen as a STer. Perhaps the reason he isn't overused on offense is because they want him fresh for the 3rd of the game we can't forget.

If there's any questions about what STs mean to winning and losing - check out how helpful field position was in the Buffalo game and check how many blocked kicks made OT possible vrs Cincy. Maybe what you're not willing to understand is to standout on STs you HAVE to play like a team leader and lead by example the way that Cribbs always seems to do and Rogers did vrs Cincy this year and Jax last year. Unfortunately, at this time, I haven't seen much of a chemistry between our passers in Cribbs in the vertical game to make my wish come true about seeing him on offense in open fields with the football. If that's not enough, Eddie Royal returned a punt and a kickoff for a TD in an 11 point victory over San Diego while he has little to no chemistry with his QB all night (and season for that matter).

Understanding everything I just talked about, how easy is it for Cribbs to line up as a WR or a wishbone QB the play after he returns a kickoff to the opponent's 40 yard line? Okay, how easy is it for him to be the gunner on the punt team after being gassed the first 3 downs? I think this is something the coaches struggle with as we want to play pretend that we can just pick a height and weight wearing the colors and it's fine. It isn't. THIS guy is a Steve Tasker type of impact to us. If you're old enough - you'll get how huge that is. If not, ask your dad or older siblings. We not only compare favorably to alot of teams in average starting field position but we've SCORED on STs more than we have on offense Mike. You act like I'm insulting the guy on thread I tried to explain how much of a keeper he is.

Once again, if we had MORE players that played with the type of heart Cribbs displays - we'd be pretty freakin tough to beat on Sundays. Here's our best 3 players and I doubt there's any arguement: Josh Cribbs, Joe Thomas and Shaun Rogers. On a team looking for talent that wins - you don't let any of these guys go for unproven draft picks or player that have fallen out of favor elsewhere.

- Tom F.

You had a problem with me saying: "I adore Cribbs, I appreciated how times he set our offense up with the football on the opponent's side of the 50 in 2007 and if more players played with his heart on this team we be tough to beat?"

I said all offseason and summer long that I'd love to see Cribbs getting the ball in the open field on offense since his work in the open field seems to be his strength. I was really hoping he'd find a home in the slot since I think he has more courage than Northcutt ever had and he's a threat to score anytime he has the ball in open space. I explained more than once that in order to perfect a WR position - it requires more than an occasional appearance and it necessitates repetition in practice/game day as well as coaching for an unfamilar position if you will. I always reminded people that type of thing made him an All Pro return man in this league. BEFORE that, Phil was telling us we had nobody capable of filling Northcutt's shoes in the return game; so I guess I need to compliment Ted Daisher for working with Cribbs enough to make STs his claim to fame in this league. Until he finds a regular home/responsibility in our offense anywhere Mike - he's mostly going to be seen as a STer. Perhaps the reason he isn't overused on offense is because they want him fresh for the 3rd of the game we can't forget.

If there's any questions about what STs mean to winning and losing - check out how helpful field position was in the Buffalo game and check how many blocked kicks made OT possible vrs Cincy. Maybe what you're not willing to understand is to standout on STs you HAVE to play like a team leader and lead by example the way that Cribbs always seems to do and Rogers did vrs Cincy this year and Jax last year. Unfortunately, at this time, I haven't seen much of a chemistry between our passers in Cribbs in the vertical game to make my wish come true about seeing him on offense in open fields with the football. If that's not enough, Eddie Royal returned a punt and a kickoff for a TD in an 11 point victory over San Diego while he has little to no chemistry with his QB all night (and season for that matter).

Understanding everything I just talked about, how easy is it for Cribbs to line up as a WR or a wishbone QB the play after he returns a kickoff to the opponent's 40 yard line? Okay, how easy is it for him to be the gunner on the punt team after being gassed the first 3 downs? I think this is something the coaches struggle with as we want to play pretend that we can just pick a height and weight wearing the colors and it's fine. It isn't. THIS guy is a Steve Tasker type of impact to us. If you're old enough - you'll get how huge that is. If not, ask your dad or older siblings. We not only compare favorably to alot of teams in average starting field position but we've SCORED on STs more than we have on offense Mike. You act like I'm insulting the guy on thread I tried to explain how much of a keeper he is.

Once again, if we had MORE players that played with the type of heart Cribbs displays - we'd be pretty freakin tough to beat on Sundays. Here's our best 3 players and I doubt there's any arguement: Josh Cribbs, Joe Thomas and Shaun Rogers. On a team looking for talent that wins - you don't let any of these guys go for unproven draft picks or player that have fallen out of favor elsewhere.

- Tom F.

Tom,

I owe you an apology! I actually AGREED with your comments & share your feelings, I thought my post backed up your points, but my wording could have been much better. When I looked at my post, I could see how it could have been misunderstood. I am sorry. My comment about the "special teamers" was meant for those who state Cribbs is well paid for what he does. That always bothers me as he is NOT a "run of the mill" special teamer, but one of the most valuable players we have...if not THE most valuable.

Once again, I am sorry if I offended you...that was NOT my intent.

Mike

I am very glad we did not trade Cribbs. This was one of the best scouting jobs we have done in a long time. He is an asset to this team and goodness knows we need all the solid players we can get. Getting a draft pick for him could end up just being a waste. This guy is fun to watch every time he hits the field. It's too bad he has not really picked up the reciever thing in his 4 years here... seems like he could have been good. Some guys can, some guys can't.. He can't and that's ok.. He is awesome at what he does on special teams. And yes.. I still stand firm that the team is right in not reworking his contract.. He just got a new contract and is being paid appropriately. If he did not think it was a good contract, then why did he sign it? He has no one to blame for that but himself..

Tom,

I owe you an apology! I actually AGREED with your comments & share your feelings, I thought my post backed up your points, but my wording could have been much better. When I looked at my post, I could see how it could have been misunderstood. I am sorry. My comment about the "special teamers" was meant for those who state Cribbs is well paid for what he does. That always bothers me as he is NOT a "run of the mill" special teamer, but one of the most valuable players we have...if not THE most valuable.

Once again, I am sorry if I offended you...that was NOT my intent.

Mike

Thanks for the clarification Mike! You weren't offensive - I was just wondering if you realized how much we were on the same page and it appears you did afterall. I liked alot of the characteristics you were alluding to.

To be honest, when I keep asking myself who our biggest scoring threats are I come up with this order:

1) Cribbs - get him in open fields whatever way we have to.

2) Jerome Harrison - I've seen him take a handoff 82 yards in 08 AND I think he's our best back at this time IMO.

3) MoMass - when he has MoConcentration. That said, we can't kep our 3rd best scoring threat w/ 0 points for too much longer.

- Tom F.

I feel sorry for Cribbs now.

If he gets the type of green that you pay one of the best 3 players on your team these days - you'll be HAPPY for him. I think we have the RIGHT brass to make the Ws follow in the near future.

- Tom F.

Archived