THE BROWNS BOARD

What I'm Looking for Today

Flugel

Folks,

In the last couple of weeks before last weeks' game I said I was looking at this season for the following positives on Sundays, which are also keys to improving and YES winning on Sundays. This isn't rocket science so you'll find alot of "well duh!" In any event, here's what I NEED to see today (not necessarily in order of importance):

1) STs WIN field position (ie: Buffalo game) and play big when the opponent is kicking (ie; Alabama yesterday).

2) Run the ball between the tackles by hitting the daylight when it's still there. (whomever does it best today).

3) Look the ball in with the awareness defenders CLOSE on the ball. Ok, just CATCH the thing.

4) I'd rather see our QB hitting receivers in the hands than defenders because the defenders don't ever seem to drop the ball.

5) Turnovers. Hustle earns them and carelessness feeds the enemy. How about a little ball security for all your athletic supporters today?

5) Leadership - when Rogers didn't have the flu - I saw some GREAT leadership displayed vrs Cincy & Buffalo, which happened to be our favorite games to watch this year.

6) Trenches. We killed Buffalo there and won. I think the team bringing the better front 7 to today's game wins today's game. More specifically our OLINE has a say in how well their front 7 performs. Knowing we could have really used Wimbley last week - it'll be nice to have his giddyup and work ethic back in form.

7) Intangibles - an old coach used to always say "we're only as good as our last guy." We always got reminded of this when someone didn't carry out there assignment and the opponent scored OR we couldn't count or score because someone away fron the play got busted for a hold that had 0 bearing on it. Refs almost look for this stuff on teams that aren't supposed to win. I hope I don't jinx us when I say - under Mangini we REALLY haven't been penalized like I've seen in the recent past, which is a good thing IMO. If anyone saw highlights of Bama beating a team that shouldn't have been THAT close to beating them - outside of Shaun Rogers - who EVER thinks a pudgy fat guy is going to block 2 kicks in 1 game day? There's gotta be a SAD olineman for UT today wondering why he didn't come out of his stance quicker and with a lower center of gravity so leverage could offset brute power. 1 little thing - 2 different plays in the game of inches.

8) First down chains - never thought this would be an issue until I was reminded the Rooneys handle the performance bonues for officiating crews. The best part of that was I got to see Stoner's research and photography after he smoked an acre of something strong.

9) Homecrowd. Make us proud at that game today folks. Bring it. These guys need ya.

- Tom F.

i want to see how our cornerbacks do against the packers defense. hopefully we will be seeing coye francis play today. if he does, i will be watching him closely. there is no way he can be worse than mcdonald.

Good point!

I don't think McDonald should wear anything but blue jeans today seeing the way he couldn't tackle last week. Part of that was he tried to play through an injury, which actually hurt us/him more than it helped us/him.

I see McDonald the same way I once saw Anthony Henry - he'd be a keeper as a 3rd corner in obvious passing downs. Anything more and he's finding himself in over his head. Having Wimbley back to shorten time to throw should help all over DBs. I think the Packers had to sign one of their retired vets off the couch recently when Rodgers was gettign sacked too frequently. Let's hope we can get to him today.

- Tom F.

Im just looking for a WIN!! We will do well today, get Cribbs 10 more snaps in the wild cat and we win. I hope to god KW beats the shit out of Rogers and I hope Wright plays today after his car wreck. Also where the F is Mike Furrey?

Good point!

I don't think McDonald should wear anything but blue jeans today seeing the way he couldn't tackle last week. Part of that was he tried to play through an injury, which actually hurt us/him more than it helped us/him.

I see McDonald the same way I once saw Anthony Henry - he'd be a keeper as a 3rd corner in obvious passing downs. Anything more and he's finding himself in over his head. Having Wimbley back to shorten time to throw should help all over DBs. I think the Packers had to sign one of their retired vets off the couch recently when Rodgers was gettign sacked too frequently. Let's hope we can get to him today.

- Tom F.

agreed. mcdonald would do well in a nickel package covering slot receivers. he needs more than just a safety up top to help him out.

Tight end is a problem. Royal and Heiden are both out today.

I really MISS a healthy Heiden. Was Rucker THAT bad where they didn't consider bringing him back? It just seems like he would have known the offense and had a better beat on the chemistry thing with DA as well as betetr knowledge of the playbook than a TE from somewhere else (looking for an employer).

- Tom F.

Oh well. I was kind of hoping I didn't want to win more than the guys making at least 6 digits. For any of my points to come true the team needed to WANT to be there today.

This NFL Body by the Lerner Family has pretty much gutted a strong tradition. Fans are now paying money to boo Lerner's wonderful business.

If I thought putting Quinn in to complete a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8 was the answer - I'd join all those hoping we only have 1 problem. That said, which one of our WRs were enjoyign tremendous mismatches over Harris and Woodson? Problem is my eyes were also open we were supposedly playing defense.

Yuck!

- Tom F.

Archived