THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm Not Sure Bama REALLY Wants Florida

Flugel

Folks,

I'm not as impressed with Alabama as everyone else and maybe that's a little unfair as yesterday reps much of my gage. They have an elite WR they really can't utilize outside of dink and donk restrictions.

Yesterday Bama's fate was UT had a kicker that couldn't reach the goal post from 47 yards away and 1 of his other 2 FG attempts hit the Bama DT in the arm pit. That means Jeremy Lincoln NEVER got the kick up like he needed to inspite of the GREAT effort Bama's Shaun Rogers clone put forth. I can understand 1 missed FG but reliance on 3 missed FGs because you could only score 12 points against UT means you're not ready to be #1 just yet.

Florida has a GREAT defense so I think they'll be able to shutdown a Bama offense that ONLY runs the ball well.

Aside from all that, I liked how competitive UT looked. Most Vandy season ticket holders don't root for UT but I'm not from this area enough to feel that kind of resentment. I'm working on the little things like enjoying games Vandy reaches double digits with their young offense. They ALSO gave valiant effort vrs South Carolina yesterday. Believe it or not, Vandy plays defense like they belong in the SEC. They're just on the field too much with an offense that's young and is a work in progress.

- Tom F.

I'm a student at UT, and I've attended just about every home game for the past three years. This season I've been really impressed by the different energy that Kiffin and company have brought to Knoxville. I think the team has a legitimate shot to go 8-4 this year, especially if Crompton keeps playing well.

As for next year, my biggest concern is one of the things you pointed out--the fact that we're hanging out hopes on an incoming freshman. It's pretty clear at this point that the staff doesn't think that Nick Stephens can run the team--and, based on his play last year, that sounds pretty accurate--so it's a true freshman (assuming Bray is at UT) and, well, a turnover machine with a tendency to throw tantrums after picks. The second biggest concern is the offensive line--we don't have a lot of depth this year, and next year the line could be paper-thin.

I wasn't crazy about Kiffin's hiring--I wanted Brian Kelly--but he's impressed me so far. Now let's see if he can finish strong this year and avoid a sophomore slump next year.

Dennis

Since Memphis, Vandebilt, and Kentucky are all "should" games, Kiffin might eclipse his Oakland win total in his first year rebuilding in Knoxville. Not that that's saying much, but it's something.

I'm a student at UT, and I've attended just about every home game for the past three years. This season I've been really impressed by the different energy that Kiffin and company have brought to Knoxville. I think the team has a legitimate shot to go 8-4 this year, especially if Crompton keeps playing well.

As for next year, my biggest concern is one of the things you pointed out--the fact that we're hanging out hopes on an incoming freshman. It's pretty clear at this point that the staff doesn't think that Nick Stephens can run the team--and, based on his play last year, that sounds pretty accurate--so it's a true freshman (assuming Bray is at UT) and, well, a turnover machine with a tendency to throw tantrums after picks. The second biggest concern is the offensive line--we don't have a lot of depth this year, and next year the line could be paper-thin.

I wasn't crazy about Kiffin's hiring--I wanted Brian Kelly--but he's impressed me so far. Now let's see if he can finish strong this year and avoid a sophomore slump next year.

Dennis

Since Memphis, Vandebilt, and Kentucky are all "should" games, Kiffin might eclipse his Oakland win total in his first year rebuilding in Knoxville. Not that that's saying much, but it's something.

Im right there with you, im a UT student and this is my 4th student season. I will admit it has not been this fun to go to games and be competitve since my freshmen year, and the 2nd half of my sophomore year when we went to the SEC championship.

I am nervous about incoming freshmen too, but I look at what Kiffin has brought in and just have to base my faith on that. Also rumor is Bray will be on campus in January

Dennis

When I'm not at Vandy Games watching them trying to discover the excitement of scoring on offense - I really find myself pulling for UT. I've been told that's a no-no if you're a true Vandy fan. Baby steps.

Tennessee's defense is right where they need to be in terms of talent and coaching so that's half the battle. Their offense on all accounts was preparing to work around limitations at QB and the QB has improved as well as the overall productivity of the offense. Like you alluded to Dennis - that's ALOT because of good coaching. Plus, the Head Coach never waivered on his support of the kid which hellped his confidence on game day considerably IMO. The difference next year is it just might be a QB with a style Kiffen wants/needs because he's choosing the guy. That won't equate to instant but I think we're learning what Kiffen was able to do from scratch if you will.

Doesn't Bama show us if you have the right RB on offense coupled with the right defense - you're ready to compete with anyone except maybe Florida? Back to the subject heading, Bama has pretty much everything except the right QB to take down Florida. Crompton looked better than Bama's QB to be honest and we can't really say it is because he had better people to throw to.

- Tom F.

Both Alabama and Florida have pretty weak passing games right now: Alabama because of Greg McElroy, Florida because Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy left for the NFL.

Tebow threw 30 TD's last year. This year, he's on pace to throw just 14 and had two picks returned for TD's against Mississippi State.

So both offenses are underwhelming and kind of one-dimensional. Florida's is better - they average about fifty more yards per game - but I think Alabama may have the better run defense, especially when you compare them to a Brandon Spikes-less Gators D.

The loss of Harvin and Murphy was big...I had a feeling it would....not that it takes a keen mind to figure that out...you don't just find a Harvin every day.

Do you guys remember me saying if we went offense first I wouldn't mind drafting Percy Harvin for a team desperate for a playmaker in the passing game? He's the real deal.

He's got 4 TDs already this year and we STILL need a slot receiver more than ever. His speed is well publicized but his weight room heroics show me he can be more like a James Brooks than an Eric Metcalf in the open field where tacklers won't bring him down with a simple grab/shove.

- Tom F.

The loss of Harvin and Murphy was big...I had a feeling it would....not that it takes a keen mind to figure that out...you don't just find a Harvin every day.

Does it affect your feelings about Tebow as an NFL-calibre QB in any way? For me, every interception he throws makes him look more like a TE project/WildDawg QB than before.

Dennis

Does it affect your feelings about Tebow as an NFL-calibre QB in any way? For me, every interception he throws makes him look more like a TE project/WildDawg QB than before.

Dennis

No.

But it has to be with a team who wants to use him for what he does. He's not a drop back passer.

If a team wants a leader and a guy who can move the chains, he is your guy.

And, let's be real here. You are acting like the guy is supposed to be perfect.

Through yesterday his numbers of note as this:

QB rating....102

Yards 1323

TD Passes 10

Picks 4

Let's quit trying to make it sound like he is a pick machine.

I would take him in a heartbeat.

Archived