THE BROWNS BOARD

2010 draft

TN Browns Backer

Its never to early to discuss the draft, especially at 1-6! :( Post prospects for your fellow Browns fans to keep tabs on for April!

I feel like a steal we could make in the draft is Jake Locker. He is a solid athlete with a cannon and isnt a "product of the system" QB since he is at Washington working with very sub-par talent. I personally like him over Clausen and Bradford's injury worries me. Thoughts? I figured QB would be a good one to start out with. He may even fall to the 2nd round.

And of course, all things considered, I have to mention Eric Berry.

To me, at this point, the most interesting thing about the draft is...what pick will we get?

The Browns are bad, but apparently some are (possibly) worse. At 2-14 (don't ask who else we can beat) we might not even be in the top 5!

That being said, I hope that don't draft a QB. With all the problems we have on offense and defense, I think wasting a high draft pick on an all-star QB is the wrong move. I would rather see them pick up a free agent QB and use their picks to fill in the other holes.

I keep thinking that it is still a bit to early to start draft talk. We will all just burn-out. It's great to point out the usual suspects and have everyone watch them a few games for better discussion later on, but the period around Thanksgiving through the Bowl games and on to the draft in April is a long one and plenty of time to more than hash this stuff out.

Not putting a squash on the draft prospect talk, I could listen to stories about Berry all day and night, but just letting everyone know that we aren't trying to keep up with the jones' here in draft and prospect chatter, we will have much fresher discussion without beating the dead horse over and over, starting in about a month.

If there is a prospect to watch on an off night or Prime Time (Tuesday/Thursday, late game, ect..), lets note to all to tune in for some good discussion when the time comes.

With that said ....

I don't think we should consider Bradford AT ALL ... too many questions left unanswered. He may not be so smooth under an NFL type pass rush penetration, he had the horses around him and all the tools he needed to look great, but in the games they were a bit over-matched he looked a bit shaky. Now the injury and surgery won't give us any more peeks at him, and then the recovery itself will be an unknown damn near right up until draft day ... this franchise don't need a gamble.

Bradford looked shaky this year, but I think there's been some exaggeration of how poorly he played in the BCS Championship Game. Here's a clip showing all of his throws against the tough Gator D:

(Bigger clip here)

You see what makes Bradford appealing: the beautiful accuracy on his throws, even some made on the move.

He's not very mobile, though he isn't a statue either, and his deep balls weren't always on target. But he's got the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback, especially in a WCO behind a decent line.

I'm taking a kind of wait&see approach on Bradford, but I like him better than any of the other 2010 QB's, none of whom would have gone before Stafford or Dirty Sanchez last year. Had Bradford declared, he might have gone #1 overall.

if we cant get into the top 3 we need to trade down so we dont waste money on a second hand player this draft so far is week in talent that could be considered in being able to draft a "franchise player" per say. unless we are suprised with some juniors jumping out of the college ranks.

Dont say that, Mangini just loves trading down so much he gets too carried away

Talking about drafting, how well are these linebackers doing?

#10 Brian Cushing HOU OLB 56 tackles

#17 James Laurinaitis STL MLB 49 tackles

#40 Aaron Curry SEA OLB 37 tackles

and nobody wanted lauranitis he was from Ohio State and over rated and under sized? :o

In defense I know alot of people around cleveland wanted Aaron Curry, but yea the other 2.... just no excuse. Im sorry but after we drafted Jeff Faine in the days of *shiver* Butch Davis *shiver* I was convinced centers are not worthy of 1st round picks.

We'll get a real high 1st round pick, but count me as another who does NOT want to take a QB. We need to either sign a veteran free agent or trade for a veteran. Draft defensive "playmakers" early. I want a stud safety & a nasty middle linebacker. After that, running back, OL, & then everything else. Obviously, we have MANY holes to fill.

Mike

We'll get a real high 1st round pick, but count me as another who does NOT want to take a QB. We need to either sign a veteran free agent or trade for a veteran. Draft defensive "playmakers" early. I want a stud safety & a nasty middle linebacker. After that, running back, OL, & then everything else. Obviously, we have MANY holes to fill.

Mike

eric berry *clap clap clap-clap-clap"

I like berry and have said so for a couple of years...but like Stan said, it's hard to have much discussion at this point...right now we could be drafting around 6-7...and Berry is gone by then.

we will probably have a top 10 pick...maybe a top 5....either way there aren't any qbs or running backs to take up there...we probably go big man on one side of the ball or another...works for me.

Only 1st round talent RB (None top 5, maybe not even top 10 aside form Spiller)

C.J Spiller from Clemson

Javad Best from California*Junior

Jonathon Dwyer from Ga. tech *Junior

According to Mel Kiper (who im not a HUGE fan of him or his hair line). Intersting too in his latest rankings his top 5 are:

Eric Berry-S-TN

Gerald McCoy-DT-OK

Ndamukong Suh-DT-NEB

Jake Locker-QB-WASH

Russel Okung-OT-OK.ST

It IS TO EARLY to discuss the draft.. we don't know who we will keep, we don't know what free agents we will bring in. We don't know who we will resign (we have many free agents on our own roster) and we do not know who will declare from the junior class..we don't know the injury situation before the year is over.. This is a post for 5 mos. from now. Sorry to be an ass..but it's true... for all we know we may have a whole new coaching/gm staff by next spring..

The only offensive player we should even consider drafting would be offensive linemen.

We've got to draft the nastiest, biggest, fastest defensive players avaiable at every spot we pick. I don't care if we draft 10 players with 5 brain cells between them, we need some violence on our defense to compete in our division.

Eric Berry in Round One- No explanation needed.

Jahvid Best in Round Two- Gives us a home run threat at RB. This means don't resign Harrison. I say keep Lewis to allow us a big back for short yardage and ball control. Let Best compete with Davis for the starting spot.

If we do get another Round Two pick-George Selvie (DE USF), Jerry Hughes (DE TCU), or Navarro Bowman (LB Penn State).

If any slip to Round Three, get 'em.

On the second day, I would try to get play makers with upside-Juice Williams (another QB option, Wr, or RB)

-Darryl Clark (QB Penn State)

MANY WILL HATE ON PICKING JUICE WILLIAMS since he is an athlete who happens to play quarterback. Haven't we learned anything from the Steelers in Drafting - Hines Ward (Georgia QB -converted to hall of fame caliber WR.)

Randall El (Indiana QB - more dominant than any receiver we currently have)

Dixon (Oregon QB- yet to be determined)

Also, look at our best player -Cribbs (Kent State QB)

This is not a complete draft analysis since we are only at the midpoint of the college season. This is going off players on field performance.

FREE AGENCY

As for as the QB issue is concerned, I say make a play for Tavaris Jackson (Minnesota Backup) who will be an unrestricted free agent I believe. I don't think any of the top rated Qb's have franchise written on them. Also consider Chad Pennington from Miami.

Lee Evans (Wr Buffalo will be an unrestricted free agent), plus he is Cleveland native (Bedford H.S.)

Draft Eric Berry with the top 5 pick then trade all are other picks to move up and get Taylor Mays. Dream scenerio safety tandem

Man, I love the crew we have on this site right now. Couple years back, I couldn't even mention acquiring a Safety as there were some who called them a 'Dime-a-dozen' and most others weren't interested in the 'non-glamorous' position.

I have been screaming about getting a real safety in here for 9 years (Sean Jones had one good year, so I stopped screaming and just barked for that one year as I observed).

We've been playing with 9 guys now on defense ever since we came back in the league. get us an 'ERASER' to clean-up them LB mistakes. Get us a game changer.

Archived