THE BROWNS BOARD

2010 draft

TN Browns Backer

NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Taylor Mays, FS, Southern California: Yes, he's 6-3, 230 and may run in the 4.4's or lower at his Combine or pro day workout. And he was credited with 10 tackles against Notre Dame. But only one of those was a solo stop, and Mays was often very ordinary and did not play with intelligence. Scouts' two biggest complaints about Mays are that he does not make many big plays and he prefers to hit rather than tackle. Only the strength of USC's front line kept Jimmy Clausen from going up and down the field because even though he can cover ground in the defensive backfield, Mays was often a step late to help his corners. And multiple times he chose to lower a shoulder into a receiver instead of wrapping up and possibly forcing a fumble. The personal foul he picked up (his second of the half) for needlessly launching himself head-first into a receiver in the game's final series in regulation could have been a killer. Thankfully for Mays and his teammates, Clausen and his receivers couldn't connect in three throws to the end zone. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

via here.

I'd hold off on calling for Mays. He's nowhere near Berry's level and isn't even guaranteed to stick at safety at the next level. Might be better off playing outside linebacker in a 4-3.

What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

I asked a similar question in another thread. Are we thinking Davis will make a difference when he's healthy? Surely we're not going to rely on Lewis again. What other sources are their for RB talent?

Only 1st round talent RB (None top 5, maybe not even top 10 aside form Spiller)

C.J Spiller from Clemson

Javad Best from California*Junior

Jonathon Dwyer from Ga. tech *Junior

According to Mel Kiper (who im not a HUGE fan of him or his hair line). Intersting too in his latest rankings his top 5 are:

Eric Berry-S-TN

Gerald McCoy-DT-OK

Ndamukong Suh-DT-NEB

Jake Locker-QB-WASH

Russel Okung-OT-OK.ST

Good to see another Dawg posting from TN. Dencyguy, Ballpeen and I also reside in TN. I'm a rookie season ticket holder for Vandy and find myself enjoying the SEC.

I think Monterio Hardesty is increasign his NFL stock as the season unfolds. I'm not sure he's a 1st round pick; BUT that might be a good thing should we be able to take an Eric Berry in round 1 before we find a guy like this on our doorstep. Those are 2 pretty big needs IMO. The only drawback to a kid like Hardesty is durability issues. Alo, if you're reading this - what round do you project Hardesty going in? If anyone is a guru at the draft like Alo and you have a good idea or you have other RBs to consider, I'm interested in hearing about them. Solon and Riff - you guys like RBs, you have any ideas of good upper round prospects?

As for the elite Safety -I remember the impact Eric Turner had on our defense when we drafted him. The last time we WON a playoff game was when we had Eric Turner turning Ben Coates into the Invisible Man or Casper the Friendly Ghost (take your pick). Point IS I'm learnign how much the right Safety means to a defense. The Steelers are pretty ho-hum without Polly; but WITH him their defense scores and their innovative DC has fun playing chess. How about Ed Reed? Do you see a DB that scores more TDs than this guy over the years?

I'm also a Taylor Mays fan; BUT I think Berry plays with better instincts. Both guys can run. Mays prolly has the better size and even speed BUT that 1st step instinct doesn't necessarily mean he plays faster than Berry. BOTH kids play under former NFL DCs, which is a plus.

- Tom F.

Good to see another Dawg posting from TN. Dencyguy, Ballpeen and I also reside in TN. I'm a rookie season ticket holder for Vandy and find myself enjoying the SEC.

I think Monterio Hardesty is increasign his NFL stock as the season unfolds. I'm not sure he's a 1st round pick; BUT that might be a good thing should we be able to take an Eric Berry in round 1 before we find a guy like this on our doorstep. Those are 2 pretty big needs IMO. The only drawback to a kid like Hardesty is durability issues. Alo, if you're reading this - what round do you project Hardesty going in? If anyone is a guru at the draft like Alo and you have a good idea or you have other RBs to consider, I'm interested in hearing about them. Solon and Riff - you guys like RBs, you have any ideas of good upper round prospects?

As for the elite Safety -I remember the impact Eric Turner had on our defense when we drafted him. The last time we WON a playoff game was when we had Eric Turner turning Ben Coates into the Invisible Man or Casper the Friendly Ghost (take your pick). Point IS I'm learnign how much the right Safety means to a defense. The Steelers are pretty ho-hum without Polly; but WITH him their defense scores and their innovative DC has fun playing chess. How about Ed Reed? Do you see a DB that scores more TDs than this guy over the years?

I'm also a Taylor Mays fan; BUT I think Berry plays with better instincts. Both guys can run. Mays prolly has the better size and even speed BUT that 1st step instinct doesn't necessarily mean he plays faster than Berry. BOTH kids play under former NFL DCs, which is a plus.

- Tom F.

Very nice, im actually in Knoxville and I havent missed a home game going on my 4th year here hah. I like Hardesty. As a Vol's follower, the past 3 years he has gotten injured pretty frequently, but I could see hime maybe as a 4th round or even 3rd round pick is he continues to produce and stay healthy the way he has this season. I like guys who stay healthy a full season after injuries as opposed to your Sam Bradford case, ect.

I also like Mays, but I feel like maybe Mays has been graced with a more talented D then Berry has had around him, and maybe he wont be as much of a play maker as Berry is, especially since Berry shines so well despite having opposing offenses gear their gameplan specifically to Berry.

I think there is a good chance we go tight end rather early (a clear need). Not with a top 5 pick, of course, but I could see it in the top of the second round. From Landry, Parcells, Belichick, to Mangini - they all covet good TEs. Mangini picked up Dustin Keller when at New York, so I can see him following suit here.

Although, I'm not sure what TEs will be at the top of the board come April.

I love to have Spiller, we'd have the Clemson backfield togeather in Cleveland with James Davis. He's got the speed to out run you, agility to break ankles and power to run you over. Even better he can catch better than any receiver we have. Watch this video, at 2.16 are you kidding me a rb that can do that outta the backfield. This guys an istant impact player, although i dont wanna take him in the top 5, maybe if we trade down. I really dont think he gets outta the first round.

flugs...i love the kid from OSU(cowboys) Kendall hunter ...he's been hurt butthis kid has Barry sanders like moves...similar build too...small but powerful like MJD...I think stefon Johnson might fall to us in second round which would be a fking steal if he decides to come out...this year with all the uncertainty of looming rookie cap...alot of Jr's might be jumping ship...could be great for us especially with 11 picks but who knows what this regime will do....

Archived