THE BROWNS BOARD

Cheap Shot EMEFFER

The Gipper

I know the Browns did not play well at all last night, but in watching that last play, the fact is the hit that was laid on Cribbs was worst kind of CHEAP SHOT. Cribbs was completely out of the play, and the Ravens player came and gave him a blind shot forarm shiver to the neck and head. It is also highly possible that the play was already dead.

Somewhere I heard that the guys name was Brandon McKinney? Well, that motherf**ker should not be allowed to make a living in the National Football League henceforth. Minimally, he should be suspended for the rest of this season.

The son of a bitch should never be allowed to step foot into the City of Cleveland again.

I am serious. That play was worse than the play that Jack Tatum laid on Darryl Stingley. At least there, Stingley had the ball and was facing Tatum who laid into him. Here, Cribbs was at that point a bystander on the play, and this asshole blind sided him.

When I saw that I wanted to take a baseball bat to that c**ks**ker.

Couple things here Gip... Uh, where to start? Ummm... McKinney's hit was well within the rules. And well within what I would consider acceptable boundaries. And to compare that to Jack Tatum's hit on Darryl Stingley is just irresponsible. For one thing, the ball you speak of wasn't within 15 yards of Stingley at the point of impact. It had been tipped and was fluttering through the endzone. Stingley was in the air above the 10 yard line. At the time, the "code" was - a tipped ball, the receiver is fair game. Tatum took the opportunity to flex his manhood, and nearly killed a guy... in a preseason game. In this day and age he'd have been ejected, fined, and lucky not to be charged with assault by the local prosecutor's office, or at least sued in civil court.

Cribbs, flipped the ball to another player took two steps and got hit. He needs to be looking for that hit. It's no different than hitting a quarterback carrying out a fake. Was it too much of a hit? Maybe. He probably didn't have to go up top with it. But it was just a hard physical football play. Cribbs is fine. The kid caught him with a good shot. Let's not go overboard, here.

-jj

I don't know WTF you guys are looking at. It was a blind side forearm shiver to the neck and head.

If that isn't a cheap shot, then there is no such thing as a cheap shot in the NFL....unless you bring a pistol with you onto the field

I was looking at the play.

Not to make this sound bad, but Josh tossed and then relaxed...the hit wasn't that long after the toss, and the forearm looked more like a guy making a normal reaction if it looks like someones head is going to hit yours....you put your arms up....this wasn't like Sapp hurting that Packer player 3-4 years back, and I don't think that was flagged as cheap at the time

JMO

Somewhere I heard that the guys name was Brandon McKinney? Well, that motherf**ker should not be allowed to make a living in the National Football League henceforth. Minimally, he should be suspended for the rest of this season.

It wasn't Brandon McKinney.

The hit was made by Dwan Edwards (Oregon State grad). He was fined 5k.

Quinn was fined 10k for his hit on Suggs.

The more I watch the video of this play the more I realize that Cribbs got hurt because he quit on the play. He was going in the opposite direction of the flow of the play and had just handed off in a trick play, he should have been looking to block someone.

like maybe the guy that hit him anticipating being blocked

Couple things here Gip... Uh, where to start? Ummm... McKinney's hit was well within the rules. And well within what I would consider acceptable boundaries. And to compare that to Jack Tatum's hit on Darryl Stingley is just irresponsible. For one thing, the ball you speak of wasn't within 15 yards of Stingley at the point of impact. It had been tipped and was fluttering through the endzone. Stingley was in the air above the 10 yard line. At the time, the "code" was - a tipped ball, the receiver is fair game. Tatum took the opportunity to flex his manhood, and nearly killed a guy... in a preseason game. In this day and age he'd have been ejected, fined, and lucky not to be charged with assault by the local prosecutor's office, or at least sued in civil court.

Cribbs, flipped the ball to another player took two steps and got hit. He needs to be looking for that hit. It's no different than hitting a quarterback carrying out a fake. Was it too much of a hit? Maybe. He probably didn't have to go up top with it. But it was just a hard physical football play. Cribbs is fine. The kid caught him with a good shot. Let's not go overboard, here.

-jj

I have seen both the Tatum play and the Cribbs play, and I see absolutely no difference in them. The ONLY difference is perhaps that McKinney's hit was not, apparently as "strategic" as Tatum's hit in that it didn't do the damage as Tatum's hit (or maybe McKinney just wasn't the same caliber hitter as Tatum). But that was not for lack of effort on the part of McKinney.

He gave Cribbs a forearm shiver to the neck on his blindside...long after Cribbs had given up the ball. Pure, plain, simple.

The more I watch the video of this play the more I realize that Cribbs got hurt because he quit on the play. He was going in the opposite direction of the flow of the play and had just handed off in a trick play, he should have been looking to block someone.

Well, yea, you make my point. Cribbs was nowhere involved in the action of the play at the time. He had handed it off and strolled away. Call it "quitting" on the play if you want. McKinney wasn't looking to make a tackle on the play at all. He was looking to cheap shot an "uninvolved" player.

This was by far worse than the stuff that Hines Ward has occasionally been accused of. Ward has on occasion, hit people on the blind side with a forearm to the neck. But at least he is in the act of "blocking" a potential tackler...a plausibly defendable action. McKinney wasn't doing that. His job was to tackle a ball carrier. Cribbs has long given up being the ball carrier and had moved about 10 yards after giving it up.

I have seen both the Tatum play and the Cribbs play, and I see absolutely no difference in them. The ONLY difference is perhaps that McKinney's hit was not, apparently as "strategic" as Tatum's hit in that it didn't do the damage as Tatum's hit (or maybe McKinney just wasn't the same caliber hitter as Tatum). But that was not for lack of effort on the part of McKinney.

He gave Cribbs a forearm shiver to the neck on his blindside...long after Cribbs had given up the ball. Pure, plain, simple.

I really have to disagree with you there. And I have to question the term "blindside". Edwards hit Cribbs in the face. He squared him up and hit him right under the chin. The fact that Cribbs was jogging one way and looking another is ill advised, but let's not call it "blindsiding."

What Todd Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore a few years ago is a "blindside" hit.

If Cribbs doesn't get carted off the field, the NFL doesn't even send a letter to Edwards. Edwards didn't get fined for the hit. He got fined because one of the NFL's star players didn't get up after it.

And, I'm sorry, but Tatum's hit was more "strategic"??? Yeah, the strategy was to remove the guy's head from his body. Tatum was a cheap shot artist who had to deal with the inevitable consequences of playing like that... and that is that someone is going to spend the rest of their life in a chair. He's just lucky it wasn't him. I really wish people would stop celebrating him the way they do. Jack Tatum did more harm to the game of football than he ever did good.

-jj

No, I'm not making your point! Your point is absolutely absurd! The only way a person could see it as a cheap shot is if they want to see it that way and aren't willing to look at the film and see the reality. In which case you could make the same claim on every contact in every game of the NFL.

They were running full speed in opposite directions and collided, McKinney played football, Cribbs wanted to go home.....that will always result in the quitter getting injured!

Obviously it is YOU who are the one who wishes to see it the way you want to because of YOUR bias.

Yea, they collided, because McKinney went out of his way to go head hunting

That is like saying that the Boise St. player and the Oregon player "just collided" after that game earlier this year.

Tell you what, I will cross the street and sucker punch you and you will just have to accept it as "two people going the opposite direction and colliding." No harm, no foul.

(Except, the Ratbird dude WAS fined for his cheap shot as I understand....ergo, the NFL agrees with me on this)

I really have to disagree with you there. And I have to question the term "blindside". Edwards hit Cribbs in the face. He squared him up and hit him right under the chin. The fact that Cribbs was jogging one way and looking another is ill advised, but let's not call it "blindsiding."

What Todd Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore a few years ago is a "blindside" hit.

If Cribbs doesn't get carted off the field, the NFL doesn't even send a letter to Edwards. Edwards didn't get fined for the hit. He got fined because one of the NFL's star players didn't get up after it.

And, I'm sorry, but Tatum's hit was more "strategic"??? Yeah, the strategy was to remove the guy's head from his body. Tatum was a cheap shot artist who had to deal with the inevitable consequences of playing like that... and that is that someone is going to spend the rest of their life in a chair. He's just lucky it wasn't him. I really wish people would stop celebrating him the way they do. Jack Tatum did more harm to the game of football than he ever did good.

-jj

The hit that McKinney or Edwards or whoever the f*** the guy was had just as much capability of doing to Cribbs what Tatum's hit did to Stingley. They were both just lucky that it didn't have the same effect. Whateverthef**k's strategy was to take Cribb's head from his body....he just wasn't as capable at doing so perhaps as Tatum was. That doesn't make it any more excusable.

So you're saying that any fine levied by the NFL represents a cheap shot?

You're being ridiculous! You're making me wonder if you are not one of Cribbs man lovers, cause there is no other scenario in which you could believe this crap!

So, the NFL levies a fine on Quinn and you proclaim it is for a cheap shot. Yet, the NFL levies a fine on the Ravens player, and you are claiming that it is not for a cheap shot? So, now, who is the one being ridiculous? Are you really that prejudiced that you cannot see the illogic of what you are saying?

Gipper

Does the saying 'keep your head on a swivel' mean anything to you?

Let it go. Hell just be glad it wasn't Hardy Brown that laid a hit on him. Don't worry about Cribbs he'll man up.

I ain't that worried about it. But it is again foolish Steeler trolls apparently who see this thing with piss colored glasses.

The guy was fined for his hit. End of story. My claim that it was a cheapshot has been adjudicated and justified.

Archived