THE BROWNS BOARD

Weis to Cleveland, without Mangini, could be a possibility

IschY

Interesting article. I actually like Weis as an OC and with the right head coach it could be good. However, if Mr. Randy Lerner is planning on firing Mangini he better not hire Weis as the OC before he hires a head coach. All I have to say is hire the GM or President of football operations and let him do the hiring!!

Weis to Cleveland, without Mangini, could be a possibility

Posted by Mike Florio on December 8, 2009 5:37 AM ET

As NFL suitors line up for the services of Charlie Weis (or, possibly, as agent Bob Lamonte tries to create the impression that NFL suitors are lining up for the services of Charlie Weis), we've caught wind of a fairly surprising rumor that the Browns could be in play to land Weis as offensive coordinator.

Our first reaction (and likely yours) was that there's no way Weis would work with coach Eric Mangini, given Weis' close relationship with Patriots coach Bill Belichick and the intense hatred (if there's a stronger word to describe the emotion than hatred, then that) between Belichick and Mangini, due to Spygate and other complications.

But, as the fairly surprising rumor goes, Weis would land in Cleveland as offensive coordinator after the termination of coach Eric Mangini. There's also another fairly surprising rumor that Weis met over the weekend with owner Randy Lerner and G.M. trainee Bernie Kosar.

We're not sure what to make of it, and we're putting it out there primarily because it's an intriguing possibility.

Most intriguing about this possibility is that it would make the Browns more like the Raiders, who routinely hire assistant coaches before hiring a head coach, and then force the head coach to work with men whom the head coach possibly wouldn't have hired.

The move also would be odd because the Browns supposedly are looking to hire a big-name football executive, who presumably would have an opinion as to whether Weis should be hired, before or after a head coach is hired.

The obvious connection between the Browns and Weis comes from quarterback Brady Quinn. Weis coached Quinn at Notre Dame, making him into a guy who was regarded as one of the top picks in the 2007 draft, before he slid all the way into the 20s.

But, again, if the attraction to Weis comes from his connection to Quinn, the notion that both an offensive coordinator and a quarterback could be foisted upon a new head coach suggests that maybe the Browns should consider changing their color scheme to silver and black.

I like how they think that hiring him as an OC is reterded before you hire a head coach? Well, it is except that did it ever occur to anybody in the media that we DO have a head coach? Some media ball ticklers are praying for a Mangini firing and RIzzo even said today that "he won't be our coach in a month". The witchhunt for Mangini has become comical. Anyway, I think Wies here could only be a good thing.

(devils' advocate): let's blindly hire another guy that just got fired.

we would really need to explore the details why his production at ND dropped off before giving him an OC job here.

but really, who wouldn't be a step up from Dabolls?

That's true, but....

I can't really stand college football but from what I understand their offense was excellent despite winning just 6 games or whatever. So, if he's hired to simply run the offense, I'm all for it.

I seriously doubt weiss would even entertain the thought of working under an idiot like mangini...there is no way in hell that happens ,it would be good though in no time we would have a cable like incident with weiss losing his job for beating the crap out of mangini...;)

this article admits itself that it's all rumor-based fodder.

what's the point of posting this, really?

Yeah what is the point? Maybe I should have posted something like : "Who are we going to draft next year" (when we do not even know what spot we will be drafting or who are GM will be) or "Lets beat a dead horse and talk about Mangini some more" or "Lets make a former browns player GM because they were great players in the 80's"

I posted it because it was Browns news on a national credited website with a very respectable writer. I know it is rumor based but I'd rather read rumors about the Browns then think about how Mangini Sucks, how Pittsburgh is going to beat us, who we will draft when were not sure where will be drafting yet.

Firstly its written by Mike Florio..moron #1..

Rumors..not one shred of any proof or sources, This is Mike

trying to be relevant..and continuing is peresonal agenda against Mangini.

Charlie Weis is collecting 18 mill from ND

Hey Mike show me proof Eric and Charlie aren't friends..bet they are

Another BS article by the Steeler fan trying to stir the pot

Who are e playing Thursday,,OHHH..I see..weak ass attempt

at trying some sort of distraction for the Browns///punk Florio

No thank you. We whiffed on the only good branch of the belichick tree. He is in Denver with an 8-4 record with Kyle effing Orton steering the ship.

i disagree. for the last time: mcdaniels would not be doing here what he is out there. the talent isn't here. and mcdaniels hasn't proven himself yet, he's just beaten a few teams. remember mangini's first year? he beat the patriots and made it to the playoffs and had he proven himself? not even close.

weiss on the other hand has proven himself as a coordinator. he has success backinig him up and impressive resume. mangini and mcdaniels have nothing but a few upsets on theirs.

i disagree. for the last time: mcdaniels would not be doing here what he is out there. the talent isn't here. and mcdaniels hasn't proven himself yet, he's just beaten a few teams. remember mangini's first year? he beat the patriots and made it to the playoffs and had he proven himself? not even close.

weiss on the other hand has proven himself as a coordinator. he has success backinig him up and impressive resume. mangini and mcdaniels have nothing but a few upsets on theirs.

I'll say it again...Kyle Effing Orton.

No thank you. We whiffed on the only good branch of the belichick tree. He is in Denver with an 8-4 record with Kyle effing Orton steering the ship.

And they're 2 and 4 in their last 6 and limping towards the finish after a 6 - 0 start.

How about what is intriguing about weis is that he is a PROVEN offensive coordinator in the NFL with I believe 3 SUPER BOWL rings.... It would be foolish not to consider him for the job... I would LOVE to see him in Cleveland!

\

Lerner was alittle TOO intrigued with a proven D coordinator with multiple super bowl rings- RC

Interesting article. I actually like Weis as an OC and with the right head coach it could be good. However, if Mr. Randy Lerner is planning on firing Mangini he better not hire Weis as the OC before he hires a head coach. All I have to say is hire the GM or President of football operations and let him do the hiring!!

Your comments presume (and the writer of this article concludes) that Mangini is getting fired. He isn't.

Is Weis really that good? What has he done outside of new england? Do we even know how good he was at New England?

He sure wasn't bad - somewhat predictable. The main plus was that he could generally manage the game and had Belichick's trust, allowing Belichick to focus more on the Defense (ask anyone in New England and they will remind you that Mangini had his play calling authority taken away from him by Belichick, which likely led to Mangini opting to take a job with a Division Rival - a big no no for Belichick).

And of course if the next GM think that Weiss is the right guy to re-build Quinn's confidence that's faltered this season thanks to Mangini's botched handling of the QB situation all the better.

But Lerner by now should realize the "right" way to build a strong organizaiton isn't to hire an assistant coach or a coach and THEN a GM.

Bring in the GM/Czar - all well and good if Weis had an initial interview - but let the GM make the decision. Have the owner hire the right GM and then Shut the F Up.

Is Weis really that good? What has he done outside of new england? Do we even know how good he was at New England?

hes done more than xxxxing daboll. hes an upgrade. plain and simple, maybe not the messiah, but he would be an upgrade.

Most intriguing about this possibility is that it would make the Browns more like the Raiders, who routinely hire assistant coaches before hiring a head coach, and then force the head coach to work with men whom the head coach possibly wouldn't have hired.

That'd be totally awesome!!! The Browns could be more like the Raiders... I bet everyone here wants that.

That'd be totally awesome!!! The Browns could be more like the Raiders... I bet everyone here wants that.

The last time I checked the standings, being more like the Raiders would be a signficant improvement for this team.

Sad but true.

But it's all part of Mangini's genius plan I'm sure. Sometimes you've just got to take a few hundred steps backwards before moving forward.

1. Mangina is already as good as gone. Bank on it.

2. Weis is either coming to Cleveland or going to Chicago. Probably Chicago. But depending who the football czar is, and who he picks as his head coach, if they seem to have their ish straight Weis may be persuaded to land here.

Wasnt there a article during the offseason about Mangini or Daboll or both of them talking to Weis about Quinns strengths and play calling ideas? That doesnt sound like a guy that has a grudge againt Mangini

yeah if Weis comes here as an OC, Mangini won't be fired. I would welcome the move.

yeah if Weis comes here as an OC, Mangini won't be fired. I would welcome the move.

I'm with you. Somehow people believe that Weis getting hired would mean Mangini's demise. Does it not occur to anyone that Mangini will be here for a few years with or without Charli Weis? Is that so hard to believe?

1. Mangina is already as good as gone. Bank on it.

2. Weis is either coming to Cleveland or going to Chicago. Probably Chicago. But depending who the football czar is, and who he picks as his head coach, if they seem to have their ish straight Weis may be persuaded to land here.

Mangini will be here or I am protesting the team until Randy sells it. If we go through another coach this quickly, the franchise will be ruined. Especially considering we have a good coach now and like it or not, the players that matter do like him. And there is no reason Lerner would allow him to begin the tear down/rebuild without letting him handle the rebuild. It just doesn't make any sense at all why you would hire somebody to re-design and refurbish a property and then fire them after they tear the walls down because the rubble doesn't look as presentable as the vacant property did. What you'll be left with is a mile high stack of rubble that will be twice as hard to clean-up for the next guy.

He better not go anywhere. Lerner has said he's building for the future and of he waffles on that now, I'm out. I've watched people for 20 years come in and try and pretend like we're one player away from contention and ignore the long-term view so they can try and save their job. I won't go through that again.

I agree completely.

remember Belichick? Cleveland had him(and probably would have continued to have him if Modell didn't plan to move the Browns), remember the Patriots before Belichick got there? Remember how they were bad at first?

things don't change in a single season, the man knows what he's doing.

Archived