THE BROWNS BOARD

tempered enthusiasm

Solon16

Jennings got 73 yards on 20 carries and 1 TD against the best rushing defense in the NFL, here the top performances(not in any order) by past RBs against Pittsburgh's defense:

Cedric Benson CIN, 76 yards on 16 carries(did not play much in 2nd game @ Steelers, probably due to injury), 1 TD. 1 reception for 5 yards(receiving doesn't have anything to do with their rushing defense so keep that in mind for the next ones)

Adrian Peterson MIN, 69 yards on 18 carries, 1 TD. 4 receptions for 60 yards.

Ray Rice BAL, 19 carries for 88 yards, 0 TD, 5 receptions for 67 yards(would be the best performance had he had a TD, McGahee got it and was only in the game for goal line carries, he had 5 total).

Justin Fargas OAK, 15 carries for 63 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 13 yards.

Jamaal Charles, KC, 17 carries for 58 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 8 yards and one of them is a TD. (only on this list because of the receiving TD, but no one else did better rushing wise past this)

Cribbs isn't on here since his position isn't RB, but he had 8 carries for 87 yards yesterday, and had 6 carries for 45 yards the first game.

So Jennings is easily in the top 5 RB performances against the Steelers defense, Jerome and Jamal weren't able to do ANYTHING against them.

Here's some of the RBs who weren't able to do anything against them(rushing wise at least):

Chris Johnson TEN, 15 carries for 57 yards, 0 TD, 1 reception for 11 yards. (and he's considered to be currently one of the best)

Kevin Smith DET, 20 carries for 53 yards, 0 TD, 3 receptions for 42 yards.

Matt Forte, CHI, 13 carries for 29 yards, 0 TD, 5 receptions for 55 yards.

Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter combined DEN, 14 carries for 27 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 4 yards.

And this list doesn't even include fumbles, which Jennings had zero, so while I'm not going to pencil in Jennings as the starting RB for the next season already, I'm definitely giving him a good shot, if he's able to do this against Pittsburgh, let's see what he can do against an average Rushing defense, because he'll definitely be able to do more against those teams.

Go ahead and annoint him if you want...I'm not impressed at all with Jennings....not at all!

We finally beat the fking steelers and that's fking awesome....I enjoyed it thoroughly...huge!!!

if you think BQ is it then no Qb, we have a LT, there is no RB of peterson's stature, we have most likely lost Suh, (berry, or hayden if we go defense) BUT we have a fking putrid offense. we have no playmakers, we ran for a td for the first time this year (13 games) and first time since Giants game well over a year ago. Dez Bryant, (1st because of Value){top 5 pick}, Rb in second( jonathan Dwyer,Kendall hunter, ryan mathews, TE in third pitta maybe.....WE NEED OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS....We have the worst offense in over 75 years! Can we please wake up and recognize!

Defense is easier to fix than Offensive skill positions!

I'll disagree. "defense wins championships" It's still true whether you like it or not & the Browns D is almost as bad as the O. Look at the Ravens D that won the SB- it was loaded with high picks, and they won with Trent Freaking Dilfer at quarterback. The only team to win a SB in memory with a lousy D was the Colts.

The most glaring need for the Browns O is a RT- StClair is a damn turnstile.

If we just lost out on the Suh sweepstakes, Berry is the logical choice- notice how the Steelers D fell apart without Poly-moo-moo in there? Lessee- we got Mike Adams, a WR (Furrey) and a guy that's one concussion away from retirement (Poole) and try and tell me safety isn't a crying need.

I'll disagree. "defense wins championships" It's still true whether you like it or not & the Browns D is almost as bad as the O.

Man you need some reading skills.....where exactly(in my thread) are you responding to me with this? I said offensive skill positions are harder to get than defensive ones....defense is easier to fix....and you come up this this shit? I said we have the worst offense since 1933 and you come back with defense wins championships? Our first rushing touchdown in thirteen games this year and since buffalo game last year(a whole season) and this is your retort? WTF...are you that stupid?

Agreed and have said for years (Captain Obvious)..this team lacks playmkers...on both sides of the ball. We have one on ST.

CJ SPiller = playmaker that could play today..i get that..im cool with a trade down mor picks/players and snag Cj in 1st round..great!

Dez Bryant?...I love that guy...but is he ready to be the guy?..today?..most likely not...maybe mid seaon or 2nd year he will..but its very rare a rookie reciever does much of anything (BTW we are starting 2 of them....)

a name that intrigues me is Miles Austin...i believe his a free agent... line him up next to mo mass with stukcey/robo in slot..and do not forget about Stallworth..he may get another shot and be out to prov something...hes quite fast...an this offense lacks SPEEEED.

Draft (3rd roundish) a RT..or sign best availb FA RT.

Instant Offense?...

Still hard to pass up Berry..and no way you pass up Suh if he is an option..but he won't be

screw Suh.... we cant draft our way into a good enough defense in two years if we cant score..... We need consistent explosive skill players...... Ive been on the golden tate booster squad since he is entering the draft.

When we had offense we Had Winslow (catch anything) Edwards (at one time could stretch the field and .....CATCH) JJ 6-5 and caught all of the tough slot patterns and well anything else combined with a good enough Jamal......

thats 4 major contributions and weapons we dont have......... unless you are pitching shut outs it does not matter if we dont have the personnel to score points.... the NFL is offensively driven really with all of the rules slanted toward creating scoring oppurtunities......

win is a win... a needed Step for the Browns. Pittsburgh will Improve in `10 ... so the Browns gotta get better. 3 times in 39 yrs the Steelers had Back to Back losing seasons. So highly unlikely next year. Congrats ... Your Boys outplayed ours !

yea no shit LOSER! :P

well you don't go Oline first, because the most winning teams in the NFL don't go Oline first. Including Saints, Pats and Colts. They pick 3rd up normally with oline.

I would take Gilyard, do a search, I've pimp'd him since last year. Maybe not with OUR position in the draft, but if we trade up possibly (which I'm not always a fan of trading up).

this offense is bad for sure. Chris jenning might be good in the future, he might not. He had one good game against a reeling Steelers defense that lost 5 straight. Lets wait out of the season and see if Jenning can average in that 3.8-4.3 ypc mark to see what he is worth to us before we get ahead of ourselves.

This defensive backfield needs help, I USUALLY am not the guy to want and draft a safety first.... but this is a case where i make an exception. Get the big hitting do it all safety.

Why think the Browns can't score? 80 over the lats four. Even if you take out the big game against Detroit, it's still 14.3 per game.

First four games: 12.3 points per game

Second four games: 7.3 points per game

Third four games: 18.7 points per game

Final four: 13 points per game.

The offense isn't lethal by any stretch, but the timing that the receivers and Quinn are building and the new look of the running game are going to pay dividends. Another veteran WR, another RB would be nice, but a couple early picks on the defensive side of things could be huge.

Archived