THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns announce formation of Fan Advisory Panel

Speedyd900rr

I just seen this on the Browns website so I figured I would post it here and see what everyone thinks. I wonder what there going to be talking about?

Cleveland Browns fans are often regarded as some of the most passionate in all of sports. From their fanatical following of the team from its inception in 1946, through the outpouring of emotion when the team left the city in 1995 and its subsequent return four years later, the relationship that has developed between the Browns and their fans is unique.

To further strengthen this bond and to understand how to better serve and communicate with its fans, the club has announced the formation of the "Cleveland Browns Fan Advisory Panel."

This panel of 25 Browns fans was selected by the club and its research partner, Turnkey Intelligence, from a group of over 5000 survey respondents and 100 fans who participated in one of 9 fan focus groups at Cleveland Browns Stadium this fall.

The Fan Advisory Panel consists of a wide-range of fans - including Season Ticket Holders, former Season Ticket Holders, merchandise buyers, Browns Backers and parents of Kids Club members. Panelists will serve a one-year term and meet with members of Browns management, serving as a sounding board for critical initiatives related to the fan experience with the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns will host the first Fan Advisory Panel session on Monday night at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

"The conducting of focus groups and the establishment of the Fan Advisory Panel are important steps for the Browns as an organization," said Browns President Michael J. Keenan. "They allow us to hear thoughtful and candid feedback from a diverse group of fans and provide us the opportunity to share with them our passion for the team, one-on-one."

In late August, the Browns sent an email invitation to a population of more than 40,000 Northeast Ohio Browns fans to complete an online questionnaire. Nearly 5,500 fans responded to the invite. With the help of Turnkey Intelligence, 100 fans, representative of the Browns global fan base, were selected to participate in one of 9 focus groups, administered by Turnkey, held over a three-week period.

Each group of 10-15 fans discussed at length the state of the Browns in 2009, the Cleveland sports landscape and the fan game day experience.

"We are excited to share our findings, as well as how we plan to address what our fans suggested to us," said Keenan. "It is important that we continue to communicate with the people who make the Browns one of the most special franchises in all of sports."

The fan focus groups were the latest initiative implemented by the Browns in a concentrated effort to maintain a strong connection with fans and to provide them with the best possible NFL game day experience.

Fan feedback is welcome at any point in time and can be shared with the Cleveland Browns Fan Squad via ClevelandBrowns.com.

I started to fill out the application form for this advisory committee, then decided not too.

Not sure why I didn't go through with it ... maybe because my past record with the Browns isn't squeaky clean and didn't think I'd get accepted, or I just didn't feel it was worth my time.

Just a PR move in my opinion to placate the fans. Do you really think that is the Fan Advisory Panel suggested that the Browns lower prices on their overinflated tickets/parking/souvenirs/concessions or that they quit watering down their overpriced beer that the Browns would lower prices by one penny, or do anything of substance? NO

PR stunt or not it cant really hurt anything as many fans feel totally alienated from the team by some of the organizations unwarranted policies..one of my biggest complaints is we feel like all we are to this club is $100 dollar bills while most other clubs share a sense of family stemming down to the fans ,the expansion browns are secretive and hollow almost mechanical toward the fans ,as though they take us for granted starting at the invisible owner and moving on down...

Randy Lerner is an excellent speaker and it really befuddles me as to why he doesnt address the fans directly more often himself ,in the nfl thats just something you cant pay someone to do for you and come off as genuine..and i think randy would gain a lot of love and fan support he is currently lacking if he would...

Browns football and its fans are still truly unique to the league ,and it really sucks to think some of this tradition can potentially fall away ,not because of bad football as much as bad choices ,really bad ,hollow fan PR and bad unanimated football management in general ,lets hope that randy starts to "get it" and can turn things around by becoming just a little more involved in his teams fanbase for starters ,and this advisory panel is a good start for an owner and his management that obviously have little or no "browns fan on the street knowledge"...;)

This is nuts. Lerner's way of trying not to lose the fanbase by listening to our concerns. I'll make it simple for you Lerner. We don't want banners. We don't want extra cheese for our nachos. We don't want ass warmers in the seats. WE WANT YOU TO F.CKING WIN. Panel adjourned.

Knowing Lerner, this guy is probably chairman of the panel...shit.

320f79f9c8e86dfe19042eb33e59c7d_feature.jpg

Just a PR move in my opinion to placate the fans. Do you really think that is the Fan Advisory Panel suggested that the Browns lower prices on their overinflated tickets/parking/souvenirs/concessions or that they quit watering down their overpriced beer that the Browns would lower prices by one penny, or do anything of substance? NO

my answer to every question on the questionaire was basically "JUST WIN!!" or "Win on the field first!" when asked about

Browns community involvement roles, "how can we improve your gameday experience" etc...

that if you win everything else is secondary and will work itself out. the #1 (and arguably only) priority of a football team should always be winning.

while i agree paying more than perceived value sucks, if they elevated team value (by way of wins obviously) prices would fall in line for me instantly. i doubt prices would ever go down but if the product on the field was in the great/excellent category it would change everything IMO. and fwiw, the ticket prices might seem high for a 4-12 team, but are VERY reasonable for a winner.

concession profits are ridiculous and could definitely come down. i suggested to them to eliminate the beer middle-man and brew their own signature Cleveland Brown Ale...not heavy but crisp and easy to drink. they could sell it cheap and still have an even greater profit margin than on the Annheuser's etc (which completely suck anyway).

i even recommended that with the lower cost, have a relatively low BAC as well. no sense in getting everyone wasted, right? it's the Wal-Mart theory. gouging customers leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and only succeds in the vacuum of a monopoly...make less more often and everyone wins!

Let me guess it includes clods like Dawg Pound Mike, Bone Lady and Big Dawg -- three of the most visible but also the most irrational browns fans.

Bone Lady is cool ... don't group her in with those yahoos.

Zombo

--and she has big boobs

Not to be a party pooper but I'm not the least bit impressed. It's like splashing on Brute after a workout instead of hitting the showers. You gotta CLEAN it up or you're gonna smell like Osama's Been Hiding. If you REALLY want the fans input instead of a small percentage of bozos like the clowns Lerner met with - send EVERY season ticket holder a survey after the season with legit questions and plenty of space for comments.

I'd RATHER see the owner committed to WINNING by hiring somebody that hasn't just turned around 1 franchise or 2 franchises or even 3 franchises. We keep bringing in ALL these people from franchises that had GREAT ownership and environments so when they had to experience the complete opposite - they didn't have the first clue how to turn a crawl into a walk.

1) Bill Parcells went to the NY Giants and they finished 1-15 in his first year - they went on to win 2 Superbowls while he was there.

2) Next, Bill Parcells went to a NE Patriots franchise that was in shambles and they only went 1-15 in his 1st year there before eventually leading the team to a Superbowl vrs the Green Bay Packers. Many of his assistants from NY followed him there - 1 remained and won 3 SBs.

3) Then, he went to the NY Jets and said I'll be the first Head Coach that can get Vinny Testaverde at least to a Conference Championship Game. Guess what? 3 for 3 in franchise turn arounds.

4) Then he went to Dallas and turned that franchise back into a playoff team even if it was the ONLY team he couldn't win a post season game with.

5) NOW Parcells thought he'd try out his NFL mind as a GM in Miami. 1-15 turned into 11 wins and playoffs within 365 days. He hired a no nonsense Head Coach full of intensity and toughness. My way or highway...

The 5 examples above assure me Parcells knows the following:

1) How to hire the RIGHT leaders (Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin, Tony Sparano, Sean Payton, Lawrence Taylor, Phil Simms, etc)

2) How to make a Diva look pretty with pink slip

3) How to freakin WIN pushing the right buttons

4) How to find the right personnel

5) How to train new employees for success

If somebody has the grapefruits to put his reputation on the line with enormous career challenges in New York, New England, New York again, Dallas and then Miami - and turn every loser into a playoff contender - it's EXACTLY what's been needed here IMO! The guys we keep bringing here never had any history of turning losers into winners. They came from GREAT environments and experienced a culture shock they found too overwhelming. If we're looking for mentally tough players and coaches - we better have the same thing at the top.

- Tom F.

5) How to train new employees for success

If somebody has the grapefruits to put his reputation on the line with enormous career challenges in New York, New England, New York again, Dallas and then Miami - and turn every loser into a playoff contender - it's EXACTLY what's been needed here IMO! The guys we keep bringing here never had any history of turning losers into winners. They came from GREAT environments and experienced a culture shock they found too overwhelming. If we're looking for mentally tough players and coaches - we better have the same thing at the top.

- Tom F.

I agree wholeheartedly Tom. EM was under Parcells as well. Guys who listen to the fans end up sitting with the fans. Then again, this owner gave audience to two schmucks wearing dog faces and bones on their heads.

There is a culture and method of losing. RIP. IT. OUT!

• 1 month later...

The Fan Advisory Board met again last night in Berea. The topic this time was communication and where do we get our Browns news. One of the items that came up was social networking. The Browns are going to start a new site that is like facebook - but more social networking than forum.

Biggest comment was "How do we continue to move forward and not lose the Brown's Traditions?"

Looks like the "PR Ploy" is moving forward and hopefully doing some good.

BTW - none of the characters mention such as Top Dawg, etc. are on the board...

And Holmgren introduced himself to the group. Cool guy...

Excellent idea!! Keep them coming - I will make sure all ideas are taken right to the advisory board and to the Browns. I believe they are starting the social networking site to get these types of ideas directly.

thanks kcorbsk! are you on the panel by chance? if so... :D

...please suggest to them to eliminate the beer middle-man and brew their own signature Cleveland Brown Ale...not heavy but crisp and easy to drink. they could sell it cheap and still have an even greater profit margin than on the Annheuser's etc (which completely suck anyway).

...with the lower cost, have a relatively low BAC as well. no sense in getting everyone wasted, right? it's the Wal-Mart theory. gouging customers leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and only succeds in the vacuum of a monopoly...make less more often and everyone wins!

concession profits are ridiculous and could definitely come down. i suggested to them to eliminate the beer middle-man and brew their own signature Cleveland Brown Ale...not heavy but crisp and easy to drink. they could sell it cheap and still have an even greater profit margin than on the Annheuser's etc (which completely suck anyway).

1) I know Great Lakes Brewing already made a Cleveland Brown Ale, (I've even got a t-shirt with the Brownie on it before the nasty NFL made them cease & desist on copyright infringement). So Randy would have to part with more of his millions to get the naming rights. :) Great stuff BTW, now there's a local tie in we could all support. (he could recoup his losses in one season putting it on tap or by the bottle and reselling it at the stadium) Like any of the Great Lakes brews, it ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

1231.jpg

2) When I'm paying $7 (or more) for an adult beverage at the stadium I want all the active ingredient the law allows in said beverage.

I am on the panel and feel lucky to be so. I answered the survey and was part of a focus group. Then made the cut to the last 25. The first meeting was one of learning for us. The team showed us some of the financial reality of what they have to charge for things and what part of that goes to the NFL. It's very interesting to see what they have control over, and more importantly - what they DON'T have control over. The NFL has their hands in most everything! (Thus the cease and desist on the Brownie Beer logo.) We talked about PSL's and why they didn't get rid of them and the control that the City has on them because of the funding of the stadium. I guess it was an eye opener as to what they really don't have much control over. We also talked about concessions and the prices. We received a list of accounting items from all stadiums in the country and prices that are charged. (Thank god we aren't in Dallas!) The Browns were not at the bottom for prices - but they were darn close.

Now - saying that - I think the beer idea is something they would recieve well. There may be restraints on what they can do - but I will pass that on immediately. I also pay the 7.00 for the beer and in the last couple seasons would rather leave and go to a bar than stay and pay the Browns when the product they put on the field was less than desireable!

Go Browns!

1) I know Great Lakes Brewing already made a Cleveland Brown Ale, (I've even got a t-shirt with the Brownie on it before the nasty NFL made them cease & desist on copyright infringement). So Randy would have to part with more of his millions to get the naming rights. :) Great stuff BTW, now there's a local tie in we could all support. (he could recoup his losses in one season putting it on tap or by the bottle and reselling it at the stadium) Like any of the Great Lakes brews, it ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

1231.jpg

2) When I'm paying $7 (or more) for an adult beverage at the stadium I want all the active ingredient the law allows in said beverage.

1) i never knew that Hoorta, that's cool. i wanna taste it. i like all the Great Lakes brews, excepting the Dortmunder Gold. that and the last time i had the Edmund Fitzgerald i remembered it being lighter. :)

i too believe he'd recoup his costs quickly. he needs to expand his brand badly and this would be perfect.

i think he should do it. like yesterday.

2) i'd gladly pay $7 for a dope ass Brown Ale at gametime (16-20oz), and if some of the profits went to the team and it tasted decent i'd buy it exclusively. as you said though for $7 i want the high octane.

but...i'd just as soon pay $3- for a smaller lower BAC version too (12oz?). that's just me. 3 hours (and/or all day) is a long time and some of us can't regulate ourselves well (and need to drive home). but the tastes gotta be there.

America is at best a hassle for us porter & stout lovers. fu@#ing Annheuser Bush...we know it was you funding the drug war you pricks!! now what? Belgium my ass.

I am on the panel and feel lucky to be so. I answered the survey and was part of a focus group. Then made the cut to the last 25. The first meeting was one of learning for us. The team showed us some of the financial reality of what they have to charge for things and what part of that goes to the NFL. It's very interesting to see what they have control over, and more importantly - what they DON'T have control over. The NFL has their hands in most everything! (Thus the cease and desist on the Brownie Beer logo.) We talked about PSL's and why they didn't get rid of them and the control that the City has on them because of the funding of the stadium. I guess it was an eye opener as to what they really don't have much control over. We also talked about concessions and the prices. We received a list of accounting items from all stadiums in the country and prices that are charged. (Thank god we aren't in Dallas!) The Browns were not at the bottom for prices - but they were darn close.

the Browns organization is not going to let go of their profit margin. so, likely the only way to reduce cost for the end user is through reducing their costs, or having signature items they produce themselves.

like if every team were run independently of the league and there weren't a salary cap in place, you might be able to keep tix low through extremely successful drafting and locking players up for a long time. the players are their signature item that they selected, coached up, and essentially produced from scratch.

more to the point, no entity in the food service industry runs a higher food cost than concessions. the food purveyors always have other items available that aren't so thoroughly processed, allowing you to further profit by processing it yourself>>>but only if your labor is slightly skilled, which generally never happens. everything comes in already totally idiot-proofed and the staff is generally filled with....bodies. this high cost brings peace of mind to weak management and in the end the customer suffers because at best the prices are high and the menu sucks. the food is cheap and boring, and it would never survive in a free market situation. about it's only value is to fill the belly up.

i realize they are never going to consider for example frying the tortilla chips by hand or adding water to the nacho cheese packet but there's no reason why they can't generate new profits developing some signature items, not to mention scratch the backs of local business at the same time.

also, Randy needs a good beer brat. one w/ a signature roll that can handle the juicyness of the signature saur kraut to accompany that world renowned mustard--it shouldn't be just for pretzel-lovers. and i feel like the Browns should also have their own bagel line with decadent cream cheeses. all that shit's cheap--ball boys can push heated carts of them for sale around the tailgate lots. and that's just a 2 minute brainstorm.

hey, i'd buy em.

Now - saying that - I think the beer idea is something they would recieve well. There may be restraints on what they can do - but I will pass that on immediately. I also pay the 7.00 for the beer and in the last couple seasons would rather leave and go to a bar than stay and pay the Browns when the product they put on the field was less than desireable!

Go Browns!

great!! let us know if they seem at all receptive.

Part of the pricing structure is to keep already drunk fans from getting drunker.

They could make the best beer ever for $3 a keg and it would still cost you $7 a pour inside the stadium.

Part of the pricing structure is to keep already drunk fans from getting drunker.

They could make the best beer ever for $3 a keg and it would still cost you $7 a pour inside the stadium.

i agree. lower-priced beer requires lower BAC. :)

Please ask them to find some LB's and fix the speaker system in the stadium. Both are an embarrassment. Thanks.

I agree completely about the speaker system. I would carry that further. Somebody needs to be in charge of improving the entire atmosphere in the stadium for fans. I've been to a couple of baseball games in Kinston, NC. It's a tiny baseball park in the middle of nowhere. The main announcer was/is? a genius and played the crowd like a Stradivarius. It's the most fun I've ever had at a ballgame. We need the football equivalent for CBS to bring some excitement and a feeling of fun to the experience of being there.

May as well say "Browns select a select number of fans to send email replies back to that say, thanks for your input and passion for the Cleveland Browns! We respect your opinions and appreciate your support. Please accept this coupon for a free Wendy's Frosty with the purchase of 17 cheeseburgers".

• 2 weeks later...

Can you see any evidence of the workings of the Fan Advisory Panel on the announcement that ticket prices will remain unchanged? How about all the perks that are being offered for being a season ticket holder??

I've passed on all the Great Lakes beer suggestions - but I believe some of you need to realize that the Fan Panel is doing it's job!!

Can you see any evidence of the workings of the Fan Advisory Panel on the announcement that ticket prices will remain unchanged? How about all the perks that are being offered for being a season ticket holder??

I've passed on all the Great Lakes beer suggestions - but I believe some of you need to realize that the Fan Panel is doing it's job!!

If you have a chance, please pass along my gratitude to the Browns staff who man the elevators. My sister and I went to a game this past October and they were very kind. My sister has some difficulty walking because of a health condition so a long walk to the top of the upper deck was expected to be strenuous. We allowed plenty of time to make the long walk. When the elevators happened to be on our way, we took a chance and asked for a ride. We were treated very kindly by a bunch of people who were frantically coordinating all the folks seeking a ride and they got us on board. In my opinion they would have been perfectly justified if they had required some sort of special pass to gain elevator access but they were cordial and helpful.

Archived